~~~ May 16, 2009 ~~~ Western Magic ~~~

Good Morning Everyone! :surfweb:

As for BC Villas -- have no clue on what WDW hotels have kitchens, etc or how the DVC works. Will look into it when we are on the cruise. I do know, we officially changed to the Swan on the Thurs/Fri night before the cruise. So we are Swan-->Magic-->Swan and then sadly home. The pools just looked so nice and it seemed there were at ton of things to do there. It looks like Yoni will have to work that Friday so probably better for places for me and the kids to go (and most likely won't go to WDW with them alone).

Has anyone ever eaten at the signature restaurants at the Dolphin/Swan? Just thinking maybe we will go do that Fri night as an early celebration for Yoni's birthday. Also -- anyone have a clue on the cheapest transportation option? I am hesitant to rent a car -- you have to pay for parking at the Swan, but will price it out. The towncar from the Swan to DCL was $240 RT :scared1: which was a lot higher than I thought it would be. I will do some searching on that today. Also, any advice on where to take the kids in that area (Boardwalk/Beach Club/Swan/Dolphin) for lunch or for entertainment would be appreciated.

OK here is how the DVC point renting works. You do not have to own a DVC yourself, you rent points from other people. We do it all of the time. It is very expensive ($15-20K plus $800-$1,000 maintenance fees) to own a DVC membership at the BCV or BWV. What you do is let someone else purchase them and then you rent it from them. You can stay at a deluxe resort for less than a moderate. The best way to find out about it is in the links below. We have 3-4 people that we rent from on a regular basis so we can almost always get in. It really depends on when you want to go as to how cheap it is.

http://www.mousesavers.com/dvc.html#rentpoints

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resort/dvcpoint.cfm

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1709083

Boardwalk area: We love to just walk around the entire area. I would go to Beaches & Cream Soda Shop at the Beach Club. That would give you a chance to see the area and it is a really nice ice cream, hamburger place, (Beaches & Cream Soda Shop at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts is a casual restaurant and soda fountain serving lunch, dinner and snacks. Listen to favorites on the classic jukebox while dining on sandwiches, burgers and irresistible ice cream desserts!)

Nice Dinner at the Yacht Club right beside the Swan: Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney's Yacht Club Resort is a Signature Dining dinner restaurant with a delightful nautical theme offering mouthwatering steaks, seafood, chicken and lamb dishes for the entire family amidst an open kitchen. You will NEED to make reservations there SOON.

There is a bridge between the boardwalk and the Beach Club that you can see a lot of the EPCOT fireworks.

They also have Bike Rentals at the Boardwalk
Rent a bike or surrey and enjoy a breezy ride along the BoardWalk

You will see lots of people on the surreys, some hold 8 people I think.

Here is a YouTube video of someone taking the entire surrey trip around the lake at the boardwalk, not real hi-res but OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Z1nyFNr1U

anymore questions just let me know

<

OK here is my Key Lime Pie recipe

1 prepared graham cracker crust (or make your own) at least 9 inches.
1 8 oz Pkg Softened Philadelphia cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk (Eagles Brand)
1/2-3/4 cup key lime juice Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice (you can adjust the Lime Juice to your taste)
one egg yolk

Blend until smooth
pour in pie shell and bake at 325 20-40 minutes. The long range for the time will depend on your taste, the longer the firmer it will be. I bake for about 30 minutes.
You can top with whipped cream (homemade whipped cream is best of course).

Let stand 10 minutes before refrigerating

<

Thanks for the pie recipe. I'd love to try it, but I'll have to wait till at least next week. We baked two batches of brownies last night and I've got to bake a birthday cake tomorrow (DS turns 22) and then on Sunday I'm baking cookies for a bake sale on Monday. Am I trying to lose some weight before the cruise? Yup.. Am I doing it? NO!!!

I'm really going to have to hit the gym this weekend. I've been doing WW for a couple of years and its a great program (I've lost about 60 lbs) but I'm just having a hard time keeping my motivation. I'm going to be meeting a friend at the gym on Monday, so hopefully we can motivate each other.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Jane

If you call Access America (800-284-8300) and talk to an agent, they'll offer you the "kids are free with a paying adult" package, aka Classic Comp., or whatever best fits your vacation situation (they'll ask for details and then will recommend one). :thumbsup2 They base the policy price on the ages of the vacationers and also the per-person amount for the trip. We insured our flights & the cruise for the 4 of us at $144 total. ...

Ok, have to look into the insurance. $144 is not bad at all!

I went to Kohl's this morning and made a list of clothes to get for the boys. I've got a coupon to use tomorrow, so I'll go back then and get an extra 20% off!! :thumbsup2 I see they have their 4-pc sets (shirt, tie, pants, vest) and 2-pc shirt/tie sets in stock and am wondering if maybe they will go on sale more after Easter (for formal night).

I saw that! I want to go tomorrow morning but I can't. I have swim lessons and am helping throw a baby shower. I think by the time that I am done the Early bird hours will be over and I just can't bring myself to shop AFTER things get more expensive. I have to keep an eye out though -- LOVE Kohl's!

Hi everyone,

I've just caught up after being away for a couple of days..Wow - a lot has gone on. I've been crazy busy at work. We had a Board meeting and having to be at work at 5:30am till 7:30pm has just knocked me out when I get home.

Wow that is intense. I think with this economic climate though -- you almost have to do what you have to do -- no way anyone is risking their job! I have been working a lot more lately too. I wish it meant job security but I have been around long enough to know that isn't true!

4. I'm not a poker player, but I LOVE board games. I saw on one of the Navigators that there were board games available at the Cove something (brain is addled today). I'm going to check it out and see what they have.

We love board games, card cames and have even been caught playing Mario Kart after the kids go to bed! I already told Yoni about the board games on the ship and we have plans to check it out!

Pirate night outfits - Jim has a polo shirt that I bought him at DL that has a small pirate logo. We also have some pirate do-rags. I'm still on the search. I did find some pirate themed iron on transfers at Joann online. I may just buy one of those (under $5) and make a t-shirt.

Good Idea! I still need to figure something out for us adults -- I promised the kids we would dress up and need to follow through!

I'm so sorry!!! I hope he finds something soon. That is one of my biggest worries is that I'll get laid off before the cruise. The only thing we will need to pay for is food (at WDW), rental car and suvies, but I would be worried about all the money.

Somehow I missed this post until it was quoted. I too am sorry. I work in IT and know how shaky the job market is now. My DH's job is iffy right now. The good thing is the cruise, airline tix & hotel are paid for so told him, worst case, we don't splurge on spa, excursions, etc and just go and ENJOY. I hope he finds something soon -- try not to stress. I have been the sole provider before (same situation) and I know how stressful that can be.

I think I'm going to laminate mine and then attach magnets. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on magnet paper. I also found a lot of great images on the normal DISign boards (t-shirts, etc).

Ok, that settles it, that is what I am going to do!

I've read where some cruise threads buy plastic lime green bracelets (like the Livestrong ones) so they can identify each other easily. Is anyone interested in "tagging" ourselves?)

I am ok with that if everyone else wants to. Don't think I can DH to wear one but you never know!

Hello all,

I am still here! I have been busy at work, but I JUST bought a new Macbook, and im still learning!!!! so anyone out there with one, all the pointers would be great!!:goodvibes

77days!!!!

I want one!!!! They are AWESOME! So does this mean you can make us all sorts of cool graphics for door magnets, t-shirts, etc now????;)

I was just talking to DH about the alcohol tastings onboard and I think we will do the martini tasting together. Anyone else doing that one? I would love to do the wine tasting but DH is not a wine drinker. He says that the smell alone makes him sick:sad2: . I told him that I would just go by myself but it would be great if I knew that one of you were going as well. I on the other hand absolutely hate beer so DH will be doing that one himself. I’m sure he would love some companionship as well.

We are doing the wine tasting. Also both doing the tequila tasting I think. I have to pass on the martini tasting but DH might want to go (I can't drink vodka). Also, not into the beer thing either but DH will want to do that one. I think we can coordinate something? I would love the company and think DH would too!

Boardwalk area: We love to just walk around the entire area. I would go to Beaches & Cream Soda Shop at the Beach Club. That would give you a chance to see the area and it is a really nice ice cream, hamburger place, (Beaches & Cream Soda Shop at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts is a casual restaurant and soda fountain serving lunch, dinner and snacks. Listen to favorites on the classic jukebox while dining on sandwiches, burgers and irresistible ice cream desserts!)

Nice Dinner at the Yacht Club right beside the Swan: Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney's Yacht Club Resort is a Signature Dining dinner restaurant with a delightful nautical theme offering mouthwatering steaks, seafood, chicken and lamb dishes for the entire family amidst an open kitchen. You will NEED to make reservations there SOON.

There is a bridge between the boardwalk and the Beach Club that you can see a lot of the EPCOT fireworks.

Thanks for the food tips! I think we will eat dinner at Il Mulino? at the S/D. We get free child care when we eat there so it makes it an easy decision and the reviews on the board are good. We will definitely check out Beaches & Cream. I read about the Kitchen Sink -- oh my! That is a LOT of ice cream!

Thanks for the pie recipe. I'd love to try it, but I'll have to wait till at least next week. We baked two batches of brownies last night and I've got to bake a birthday cake tomorrow (DS turns 22) and then on Sunday I'm baking cookies for a bake sale on Monday. Am I trying to lose some weight before the cruise? Yup.. Am I doing it? NO!!!

I'm really going to have to hit the gym this weekend. I've been doing WW for a couple of years and its a great program (I've lost about 60 lbs) but I'm just having a hard time keeping my motivation. I'm going to be meeting a friend at the gym on Monday, so hopefully we can motivate each other.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Jane

You sound like me. I did so well in January but can't keep my nose out of the girl scout cookies in February. I keep thinking -- ok, March is a new month! We do start triathalon training so maybe that will help? 60 lbs is so impressive -- it just blows me away!

Ok, weekend will be nuts but will check in again on Sunday (or sooner if I can sneak in when DH isn't watching :rolleyes1 ). Have a great weekend everyone!

OK here is my Key Lime Pie recipe

1 prepared graham cracker crust (or make your own) at least 9 inches.
1 8 oz Pkg Softened Philadelphia cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk (Eagles Brand)
1/2-3/4 cup key lime juice Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice (you can adjust the Lime Juice to your taste)
one egg yolk

Blend until smooth
pour in pie shell and bake at 325 20-40 minutes. The long range for the time will depend on your taste, the longer the firmer it will be. I bake for about 30 minutes.
You can top with whipped cream (homemade whipped cream is best of course).

Let stand 10 minutes before refrigerating

<

Wow! Just from reading that recipe I know I am going to love KLP!!:lovestruc

So just back from having my highlights done at the hairdressers . . . next time I go will be for my vacation colour!! I can't believe how close it is getting! 9 weeks today I will have been on the plane for an hour!!!!!!:scared1: I have done a "to-do" list - seems I need to start acting upon it!!

So just back from having my highlights done at the hairdressers . . . next time I go will be for my vacation colour!! I can't believe how close it is getting! 9 weeks today I will have been on the plane for an hour!!!!!!:scared1: I have done a "to-do" list - seems I need to start acting upon it!!

I am heading to the hair salon this morning too - 9 weeks sounds great - not to far away at all! I woke up this morning thinking about DD's birthday at Key West and how I can make it special for her.

Hope you have a great day:cool1:

I love card games & board games. I'll have to check those out! :-) I also have a mild addiction to some old school video games like mario.

My dh, older & younger brothers, and my nephews can stay glued to video games for hours... I don't get it. I saw somewhere that they are having a wii tournament & I'm sure they will all be there.

As for the tastings, DH & I will be at the wine tasting.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Off to clean and get ready for DH's B-day party.party: :bday: party:

I want one!!!! They are AWESOME! So does this mean you can make us all sorts of cool graphics for door magnets, t-shirts, etc now????;)

LOL I am going to try my hardest, I would think I could do that by the time of our cruise...these computers are AMAZING!!!:rotfl:

We are doing the wine tasting. Also both doing the tequila tasting I think. I have to pass on the martini tasting but DH might want to go (I can't drink vodka). Also, not into the beer thing either but DH will want to do that one. I think we can coordinate something? I would love the company and think DH would too!
Sounds good! I see that your kids are very close in age to mine. I wish that there was another 8 year old girl but it looks like she is the only one and the 7 year olds are in a different club than the 8 year olds. She would love to have a pinpal if your daughter is interested even though they may be in different clubs.

Hi!

I've just about finished gathering all our paperwork for our taxes (YUCK!). Hopefully the news will be good and we wont have to pay this year. Cross your fingers.

I'd much rather be cruising the boards or shopping for cruise supplies.

Today is my DS 22nd birthday. He has asked his girlfriend over to watch DVDs and then we will be going out for Pizza and ice cream. Not too exciting, but he's happy with things really simple. I still have to wrap his present. And DS 19 is making the cake (DANG, we now have brownies, cake and soon we will have ice cream in the house!) At this rate I'll never lose weight before the trip. Although I am very happy that I actually made it to the gym this morning. Ok, so I didn't push myself.... but I did get in some cardio and machines.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Hi!

I've just about finished gathering all our paperwork for our taxes (YUCK!). Hopefully the news will be good and we wont have to pay this year. Cross your fingers.

I'd much rather be cruising the boards or shopping for cruise supplies.

Today is my DS 22nd birthday. He has asked his girlfriend over to watch DVDs and then we will be going out for Pizza and ice cream. Not too exciting, but he's happy with things really simple. I still have to wrap his present. And DS 19 is making the cake (DANG, we now have brownies, cake and soon we will have ice cream in the house!) At this rate I'll never lose weight before the trip. Although I am very happy that I actually made it to the gym this morning. Ok, so I didn't push myself.... but I did get in some cardio and machines.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Happy Saturday to you too! Happy Birthday to your DS as well - 22 is a great age to be...sounds like he has planned a nice night for himself to celebrate as well.

I didn't do any exercise yet but will do my wii fit pretty soon - I have a business trip this week that will keep me busy - the time does seem to be flying by.

What kind of cruise supplies would you be shopping for online? Just want to know if I am missing out on something - LOL.

Online shopping list:
  • Cute dress to wear for casual nights on the ship (I NEVER wear dresses, so this would be a real surprise for Jim)
  • Cute sandals to wear with the dress
  • Pirate shirt for Jane
  • To Croc or not? - that is the question - I've been looking at them, but I have no idea what size I would wear.
  • I'd like to find Jim a quick dry swim shirt (Val I think your boys were wearing them, do they come in Adult sizes?)
That's the short list right now. I need to pace myself.

J

I was out and about today and managed to find magnet paper at Hobby Lobby on sale for 30% off. I got 3 sheets for $4.19!!! If you go, make sure you look in the magnet section. The same thing in the scrapbook section costs several dollars more! :confused3 They also have the magnet "tapes" for those who want "removable" magnets for reasonable prices!

Hope everyone had a great Saturday!

Online shopping list:
  • Cute dress to wear for casual nights on the ship (I NEVER wear dresses, so this would be a real surprise for Jim)
  • Cute sandals to wear with the dress
  • Pirate shirt for Jane
  • To Croc or not? - that is the question - I've been looking at them, but I have no idea what size I would wear.
  • I'd like to find Jim a quick dry swim shirt (Val I think your boys were wearing them, do they come in Adult sizes?)
That's the short list right now. I need to pace myself.

J

This is a great shopping list - I vote for the crocs, they actually have a size chart that you can print out and make sure you order the right fit.

I guess I should start thinking about things we need. I need to lose some weight - so the clothes in my closet will fit me by May. :rolleyes1

I know yesterday there was no brunch or tea left. I'll check on dinner...stay tuned!

ETA: It's still fairly open! Available times are:

Sat-6:30, 7:30, 8:30
Sun-all open (6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00)
Mon-7:00, 7:30, 9:00
Tues-all open
Wed-all open
Thurs-6:30, 9:00
Fri-all open (no 9:00 seating, though)

Any updates on this? The 75 day mark is right around the corner.:banana: Hope we find some openings!

For all of us first time cruisers Monday will be the 75 day mark for making reservations. When do you plan to make reservations (so I can get about 1/2 hour ahead of you :laughing: ) . What time can you actually start making reservations, 12:01 AM, 2:00 AM, ??

<

For all of us first time cruisers Monday will be the 75 day mark for making reservations. When do you plan to make reservations (so I can get about 1/2 hour ahead of you :laughing: ) . What time can you actually start making reservations, 12:01 AM, 2:00 AM, ??

<

Mine became active around 12:01 am. Good luck!:flower3:

I have a 20yo DS going with us. I was concerned about any one going in his age group.

suezyq50~I am SO SORRY! :( I haven't been on the boards for awhile (I work for a CPA). I go on so quickly read a few posts and have to get off! This a.m. (well now yesterday a.m.!:rolleyes1 ) I started reading this thread from page 1 to see what I missed and I just saw your post! (it is now 12:20 a.m.!:surfweb: ) It will be nice for our DS's to have someone their age. It's a funny age for them-hard to meet young adults their age since they don't have a "club" for post-teens/pre-lounge age! Looking forward to meeting you!:thumbsup2

Hi Everyone!
I am sorta a new member to the DIS Boards, (I joined back in 2007 and I was in the Disney Dream Job Contest- yes I was one of the winners Princess In Waiting)
My husband and I just just booked a Disney Cruise for May 16th! We are very exciting.
This will be my 4th Disney Cruise (1 Eastern, 2 Western). I can not wait to go again, I have always felt so at home on the Magic. This will be my husbands 1st Disney cruise (2nd cruise overall). We will be celebrating our 5 yr Wedding anniversary!
It'll be great to get to know some of you before we go. Its going to take a while for me to catch up on all your conversations.
Let me know if anyone needs tips since I've been on Western 2 times before.
Thanks!
Princess JorDanrella

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter