• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 13 - 3 Day Wonder with free color pics - COMPLETE

lborne

It all started with a rabbit
Pre-TR

I loved reading all the trip reports in the months before our cruise so I will attempt to give back a bit by writing this TR, in which I will include several tips I either learned while on the ship or quickly made up if I can’t remember any.

Conspirators:

Me (41), D(D does not always mean Darling)W (41), DS11 and DS7.
Friends DH(42), DW (42), DS11, DD6.

This is our 4th Disney Cruise. We are only 1 hr south of Port Canaveral and got a great deal via the Florida Resident Rate, so the 3 night cruise, although short, was fairly inexpensive. When we told some friends of our plans, they booked the next day. I usually like going on cruises to meet new people, but it is also fun dining with our friends. Especially after the one cruise where we got stuck with a couple where the husband’s job was a prophet. He even had business cards made up and told everyone their future. I guess even messengers of God need a vacation every now and then.

To fill the months between when we book the cruise until when we actually get on board, I like to spend lots of time on the DIS doing research and asking inane questions that really don’t matter much, like "what does the drink of the day cost?" Really, I just do about anything to 1) think about the cruise and 2) make the time pass quickly until the date of departure is here.

So the night before our departure, we, (meaning DW), start to pack. She is the queen of procrastination, but also likes to pack twice as much as she really needs. She loves cruising from a port that we can drive to because it means she does not have to stay under the 50 lb airline weigh limit. I do tip the porters well because I know chiropractors are not cheap.

My main job is to plan the days activities - sort of. We like to have some sort of game plan for each day and that is where the old Navigators come in handy. However, we (again, meaning DW), like to remain flexible and change all my plans at a moments notice. The big decision on this cruise is to stay on board the Wonder while at Nassau. Every cruise before we’ve gotten off at Nassau. This time I think I’ve finally convinced DW that we can stay on the ship and be accosted by staff members selling "drinks of the day" instead of being accosted by locals wanting to braid our hair. However, she has mentioned maybe we could just pop over to a beach for a couple of hours. I’ve ignored this thinking that the idea may go away. I mean – here we live within a mile of the beach and hardly ever go.

TIP #1 – print out the old navigators. They make great bathroom reading material and you’ll get familiar with all that goes on. But, its kind of like riding a bike (or loving a woman), no matter how many guides you buy, or planning DVDs you watch, or threads you read on the DIS, you can never completley understand everything until you have taken it for a ride (the bike). So now on our 4th Disney cruise, we finally feel like we have a handle on how everything works.

UP NEXT - Day 1 and some free color photos.

As promised, in this installment of the TR, you'll get expert cruise tips and free color photos (at least 2 in every package). Lets start right off with a tip so I don't have to think about them any more.

TIP #2: This TR is best paired with a couple glasses of Merlot.

Thursday morning is finally here and the kids are wired. Despite having slept very little during the night because they are so excited, they are going bonkers. Luckily for us, my DW is sending them to school this morning. Talk about torture for the kids (not to mention their teachers), but DS11 did have a test he could not miss and we only live 1 hr from port. I stay at home and try to keep busy cleaning the house and finishing packing. Around 11:30 my DW and kids are back, we load up the luggage, and are off. Well, not quite - you people with kids know what happens next – someone has to go to the bathroom – but they did not have to wait long because I’m quick. :)

We are at the port by 12:45 after driving an hour with the hyper kids, and have to wait in line to pull up to the luggage drop off area. It does not feel like Disney unless you have to wait in a line. Drop off the wife, kids and luggage and finally get my first moment of peace and quiet to relax while I drive the 200 feet to park.

TIP #3: If you are going to drive to the port, I recommend getting there around 12:30 – 1:00 to avoid long lines. You miss the “nut cases” who want to be the first on the ship and you miss all the Disney busses coming from Orlando. Unless you've just been at the park and really need that "cattle" feeling.

By the time I’d walked back, my DW and kids were already upstairs in line for check in. The line for Castaway Club members was short and we quickly got checked in. Somehow I was given a KTTW card with someone else’s name. That was fixed and we met up with our friends and got in line to register the kids and get our pager. So far, everything has been quick and smooth. We could already have been on board, but we took our time and just chatted with our friends. Finally, I coax them to go aboard. As we stepped into the atrium, they announced our family name and we felt like movie stars (autographs at 3 on the lido deck).

The infamous model of the ship at the Disney terminal. The real ship does not have half its side torn away, so don't worry, you won't sink - probably.

P5134321.JPG

DS11 about to pass thru the big ears. Look at that line - NOT. (see tip #3)

P5134322.JPG

We had reservations at Palo for 8:30, but we really wanted 7:30, so I immediately went to Wavebands to change our reservation. There was no wait and they were able to give me a 7:30 dinner time. We wanted the earlier time because we were scheduled at Palo for the last night, and knowing how long Palo meals can take, I knew we’d never get the suitcases out in the hallway by 11:00.

After that, it was 1:30 and I knew our room would be available and that is where I found DW and kids getting ready for the pool. We had room 2120 which is in the general area of the last 2 cruises we’d been on. It was close to the aft elevators, and many people worry about noise from the elevator lobby, but we never heard anyone there.

Mickey Ears not only notify others that you are a Disney freak and fellow DISr, but that you have no life too.

P5134328.JPG

On our last cruise (HAL, not Disney), we had two rooms. One for the kids and one for us which were right next to each other. But the rooms on HAL are smaller and a lot cheaper. We would like to have booked a separate room for the kids – a room for them on the Wonder and a room for DW and I on the Magic would be ideal. But we were all stuck in one room. Seriously, it was fine. The nice thing about this room as opposed to some we’ve had on other cruises is that the main bed is in the middle and the kids are at the back, with a curtain divider. This way if we come back to the room later, or need to use the restroom in the middle of the night, I don’t have to go through the kids sleeping area. I asked the stateroom host (Johnny) for wine glasses and he said it had to come from room service. So I called room service and asked for wine glasses and they said that it would take about 30 minutes.

Darn, here it is almost 2:00 and I’ve yet to have a drink of the day. Instead I’m trying to apply sunscreen to two boys who are bobbing up and down because I’m in the way of the TV. They watch less than 1 hr of TV a week at our house, so they could stay in the cabin all day and night watching the Disney channel.

Finally, we are up on deck 9, hanging out by the Mickey pool while the kids go down the slide a jazzilion times. We get ourselves lunch at Goofy’s Gallery (panninis and wraps) and Pluto’s Dog House for the chicken tenders and fries. Before we can even sit down, we are hit up by a staff member for the DOTD. We are told that if we get it in this Official Disney Cruise Line DOTD Plastic Glass, then we can get more DOTD for only $3.95 and what a great deal it is because you get more in the Official Disney Cruise Line DOTD Plastic Glass. Yes, I realize “plastic glass” really makes no sense, but I don’t know what else to call it. Its not a cup and its not a mug, but it looks like glass. Have some more Merlot and it will become clear. Anyway, the suckers that we are, bought one. Only one because DW is cheap and says we can share. The DOTD is good (anything more than 10 proof would be right now), but there are two big negatives to getting your DOTD in the ODCLDOTDPG. First, you’ve got to remember not to leave it anywhere and must keep it with you at all times lest you have a sudden urge for the DOTD and are without your money saving cup – I mean glass. However, walking around with your empty glass is like walking around Nassau with 100 dollar bills in your hand asking “Does anyone have anything to sell?” You’ll be accosted several times a minute by cheerful Disney staff wanting to refill your plastic glass for only $3.95 plus 15% gratuity, plus any additional amount you wish to give for their tenacity. Thing is, even without your empty glass, you’ll still be hit up to buy the DOTD if you are anywhere near the pool. The only real way to keep them at bay is to buy a DOTD and then not drink it, leaving your cup full all the time. But that’s no fun.

DS7 spent no time before we found him chillin with his new girlfriend in the hot tub.

P5144404.JPG

So now its around 3:00 and the Mickey pool is being closed because some kid had an accident. Obviously it was not #1 because the crew would not be able to tell, and if they could then the pools would never be open (including the adult pool). Once the pool closes, it can’t reopen for a minimum of 3 hours. So all the kids head over to the Goofy Pool, which was already pretty crowded. And all the good parents head over there too.

DW goes to the spa to book a massage for Friday and when she comes back I go to Guest Relations to book the beer tasting for my friend and I, also for Friday. DW spent a little bit more than I did. :) She booked some sort of special for $109 where she got 20 minutes of back & neck massage, 20 minutes of exfoliation, and 20 minutes of who the hell knows what else. She also bought the Rainforest day pass for both of us, for $15 each.

P5134332.JPG

DS7 in the Goofy hot tub now that the others were closed. Wait a minute - that's not the same girl.

P5144409.JPG

(OMG this TR is going to be a lot longer than I planned. You people are getting a TR designed for a 7 night cruise at the price of only a 3 night cruise.)

Dang, 3:30 and everything is shutting down. Can’t even get another snack or drink. So the next 30 minutes is spent watching the kids in the pool, nursing the last little bit of DOTD, and walking around on deck taking photos of what my DW terms “everything and everyone but our ***** family”. Why don’t you go and unpack the suitcases honey.

Anyway, its now 3:50 and we drag the kids down to the room to get ready for the lifeboat drill. We put on the life vests and leave the room not having any idea where we are supposed to go. We just follow the herd. Luckily, we are still docked because if this had been a real emergency, we would be found in the Bleach Blanket Buffet line waiting to be served instead of the lifeboat boarding line. Last time we cruised, our mustering station (Dijon) was in one of the dining rooms. This time we were right under the lifeboats. I’m still not sure which I would prefer in an emergency. Being first on the lifeboats, or getting one last meal in before the ship sank.

So we are all standing in rows with orange life jackets on and all the kids are blowing into the whistles. What’s funny is you can’t walk 5 feet without someone handing you a sanitizing wipe, but all these germ infested kids (yes, they are ALL germ infested no matter how much soap you use), are putting this plastic in their mouths that every other kid on every other cruise has slobbered on.

So after that fun filled activity, its back up on deck to do what we love doing on cruises – drink and eat. The kids are back in the water (Mickey pool is still closed), and we watch the sail away party. The weather is perfect. A little after 5 the ship starts to move away from the dock and soon we are going down the channel pretty quickly. About halfway down they sound the “when you wish upon a star” horns. I get goose bumps whenever I hear it. Once, DW and I were at Sandals in Nassau laying out by the pool and in the distance we heard that sound as the ship was either coming into or leaving port, and as amazing as being at Sandals without the kids was, it made me wish I were on the Disney cruise (still, without the kids).

We are the kind of people who like to be up on deck 10 looking down on the party instead of being trampled to death.

P5134341.JPG

P5134346.JPG

Now that land was quickly trailing away, it was time to get ready for the show. We all headed back down to the room and I noticed there were no wine glasses. So I called again, and they apologized. I told them I really had wanted them before 6:00. They arrived about 10 minutes later. Two wine glasses, stems crossed over a serving platter. It was a wonderful presentation. I opened a bottle of wine that we had brought on board (14 Hands), poured two glasses and we left for the show – The Golden Mickeys. Our friends were already seated and we joined them. The show is fantastic, as are all of Disney shows. No other cruise line comes close, IMO.

[EDIT] After the show, we fed our kids. It was 7:15 - 7:30 and only the Pinocchios Pizza and Plutos Dog House were open. It was fine because they had food that the kids liked, but it would have been nice to have at least one line of BBB open. [END EDIT]

Then we and our friends checked the kids into the kids club.

The older sons (11 years old) were allowed to check themselves in and out with the stipulation that if they leave, they have to be together and page us. The 4 adults (me included) then headed to the Cadillac lounge to listen to music and talk.

About 10 after 8 we head back to our rooms and refill our wine glasses. Our friends also brought wine on board, except they are not classy and just used the regular water glasses provided in the room. I hope they don’t read this :).

Tonight we were at Tritons, as we had gotten the TAP rotation as we requested. (So far, no disappointments with anything). Our server was Boris and he had the table all set up for the kids already. It was super nice, but we were only having the kids dine with us tomorrow night as it was kind of late for them to be eating. I am so disappointed that I did not get photos of my food. Normally I always do, but with our friends as company, I completely forgot. For starters, I had the escargot and duck confit. The escargot was really good. Normally, when I get escargot they can be very small and too rubbery. These were large and so held more butter and garlic sauce (the real reason I eat escargot). The duck confit was also wonderful. I then had the tomato and basil soup (yummy) and the avocado and citrus salad. The salad was just OK - the citrus slices were canned and not fresh. (If I sound picky, you have not met my DW). For my main course I got the "Triton's" Seared Sea Bass with a Mushroom Herb Risotto, Sweet Onion Marmalade, and garnished with a Potato Crisp. I only ordered one main course because I knew I’d be getting some of DW’s Grilled Beef Tenderloin. They were both delicious. For dessert I got the Triton's Sweet Temptations - A Trio of Crème Brûlée, Chocolate Mousse and Praline Petite Choux and I also ordered the Grand Marnier Soufflé’. I don't remember what our friends got, but there were only empty plates after each course, so they must have liked it.

DW and I at Tritons.

P5134375.JPG

After Tritons, we headed to Match Your Mate, which is like the old dating game. This game highly depends on the personality of the players. They get the couple that have been together the longest, one that are relatively newly wed, and then a couple in-between. There was a really funny couple from Dallas that made the show. I think many of the questions are used every time over the years.

It was now 11 and we got the kids from the club and put them to sleep. Checking DS7 in and out of the clubs seemed much easier than I remembered from the past cruises. I think the arm band, although a little bulky, made the process much quicker. Having the split bathrooms is one of the best things about Disney staterooms. We could have both kids brushing teeth at the same time and NOT fighting with each other over who is hogging the sink. It saved time and our sanity, if only for 3 nights.

Room all ready when we came back to sleep.

P5134361.JPG

One part of the split bathroom.

P5144427.JPG

And the other. Notice you can see the DOTD in the official "plastic glass" in the reflection.

P5144428.JPG

Back when we used film cameras, DW used to be a lot more annoyed when I took these kinds of photos.

P5144432.JPG

Only products made in the USA are good enough to be flushed.

P5134372.JPG

DW also wanted to sleep but I was still awake so went back out. I wandered around on decks 10 and 9, then headed down to the Promenade lounge, then over to Wavebands, Diversions and the Cadillac Lounge. Other than about 15 people dancing to disco in Wavebands, I felt like I was on a ghost ship. By 12:00 I called it a night.

Here are some of those random shots I took and one last additional tip at no extra cost.

Tip #4 (or 5 - I'm too lazy to go back and check) Blue anchor is toward the Back of the ship. Red towards the Rear. No wait, that's wrong. Red towards the front. Yeah - that's it. Don't even ask about port and starboard.

P5134380.JPG

People (who are not my family) boarding.

P5134330.JPG

Not much going on at 11:50 at night. Waiting until midnight and watching the hot tub drain on these people was pretty much the only opportunity for entertainment at this hour.

P5134377.JPG

Come back tomorrow when I post another exciting adventure to my TR with the not so catchy title.

Keep it coming!! Really enjoying both the info and the humour!!

And who said D as in DW has to stand for darling anyway.........

Great pictures!!

Keep it coming...

oH, where did you get the sticker for Ears to put on your cabin number ?

If you all are going to waste time reading this at work, I'm going to have to get this out now and that means breaking it into 2 parts. So here is part 1.

I’m always up early and this morning I had originally planned to attend the group cycle class (spin class). I’d lost almost 20 lbs over the past 6 weeks. Despite going to the gym 4x a week, I was approaching 195 lbs. So the cruise was a good excuse to loose some weight and I dropped to 170. I knew I was going to add some pounds on during the cruise, but wanted to mitigate that by attending the gym at least once. However, DW had told me the night before that she had forgotten to pack my exercise outfit. I knew there was a reason I loved this woman. Yea – I get to go to the Cove Café, drink coffee and chill. So I quickly showered and headed out to get some real coffee. After a bit I went to BBB (the only time I ever went to BBB, whereas the last couple Disney cruises we practically ate there for every breakfast and lunch) and got the kids some breakfast and DW some OJ, and took it back to the room. They were all up and thankful for the food. We’d thought of ordering breakfast the night before to have it delivered to the room, but the selections were very limited.

Tip #? (In order to make my job easier and because I’m lazy, I’m no longer numbering the tips – you get what you pay for): If you go to BBB and want to take the food back to your room, you don’t have to fight back upstream through the crowd to get out. At the aft port side of the restaurant (which is also the aft port side of the ship) there is a “secret” staircase that will take you down to deck 8 where you can catch the elevators). Shhhh – don’t tell anyone else.

After delivering the food to the room, I went back up on deck to take some photos of us pulling into Nassau. Before I know it, its already 9 and Tritons is only open until 9:30 and I was getting hungry. I went back down to the room, gathered the kids, and checked them into the club and met DW at Tritons. She was promptly 10 minutes late as usual. Since our reservations were linked to our friend’s stateroom, when we entered Tritons and gave them our room # (they ask), they notified us that our friends were at a table that could accommodate us. So we sat with them and their children. It’s a wonderful, relaxing breakfast. Both DW and I ordered the Mornin' Tug Boat which is a fresh blend of strawberry, bananas, almonds, raisin granola and low-fat yogurt. We remembered this from the last cruise and it was every bit as good as we recalled. DW ordered the eggs benedict since we never have that at home and I ordered the King Triton's Shell - a large omelet on savory toast (I didn’t write that, I just cut and pasted from a menu I found on line – I really don’t like the word “savory”, do you?) filled with grilled tomato, bacon and baked beans topped with caramelized onions. It was really good. We really enjoy the relaxing sit down dinners and being served because normally we are the ones doing the serving – you guys with wives and children know what I’m talking about. I know you don’t get a great view while at Tritons, but its just too crowded at BBB and that line, while not long, moves slower than my escargot from the night before.

Atlantis and a sail boat that costs more than the entire budget of some 3rd world countries.

P5144402.JPG

So now let the pampering continue. It is off to the Spa where, as you recall, my DW purchased about 35 DOTDs worth of relaxation (32 of those for herself – and yes I actually calculated that nuber, just to put it in perspective for her – I’m helpful that way). On the way, we saw all the groups of people meeting for tours and other groups a people streaming from the ship. After being in New Providence Island at least 6 different occasions (mostly cruise stops but also at Sandals), I had had my fill and was really glad to be staying on the ship. But I was really happy all these other suckers, I mean tourists, were getting off the ship to make it less crowded for me.

When DW purchased the Rainforest day they gave her a sticker to place on our KTTW cards. So all I had to do was present my card, and then we were allowed in. In the changing rooms are lockers with robes. We were also offered slippers, but declined and went barefoot (just less paraphernalia to keep track of). We changed into our swimming suits and met back in the rainforest room. It was completely empty except for one man laying on the heated tile lounges. They look like they would be uncomfortable, but really are quite nice to lay on. But first, we went into the steam room which we had all to ourselves. We did not turn it into an exotic rasul moment as this was a Disney cruise after all and we could not figure out how to lock the door. After that we tried the sauna. I sweat out at least 2 DOTD in their official glasses, before I was ready to get out. We then went into the scented shower. The side jets sprayed super hot and the temp control did not seem to make any difference. Its just like those controls in Mission Space – they don’t do anything but make you feel in control. Must be a Disney thing; although come to think of it, my wife kind of works that way too. The cold spray comes from the top nozzles and is freezing. It smelled wonderful, but we could not stand the alternating burn / freeze sensation. Next we relaxed on the heated tile lounges that are in the main room. There are only 4 of them which I still think is too few despite the fact that only 1 was occupied (by aforementioned man). So we lounge on the verge of sleep, me mumbling to DW how this was so much better than fighting off taxi cab drivers, until about 5 till 11 when one of the ladies came in to inform my wife that they were ready for her 11:00 spa treatment. I stayed for about 10 more minutes fighting off sleep because I really did not want to spend my very short 3 night cruise sleeping. I was using my trip to Vegas for a friend’s bachelor party as a guide where 2-3 hours of sleep in a 24 hr period was plenty.

So I left the spa and headed back up on deck. The Carnival Sensation was just arriving into port. What? The Carnival ship left Port Canaveral BEFORE we did. Maybe that party crowd consumed all the alcohol in the first few hours and they had to make a beer run in Miami??? Oh My Gosh, its now 11:30. Nearly 2 hours since I had any food, so I got a fish sandwich and chicken tenders from Pluto’s Doghouse and some more wraps and panninis from Goofy’s Gallery. I did not try the hamburger from Pluto’s because I’ve had them before and found them to be just OK – the ones on CC are much better as I remember. By far the best thing there are the chicken tenders. And of course, I needed a DOTD. But wait! As you must have clearly realized I don’t have my Official Disney Cruise Line DOTD Plastic Glass. Well, I realized it too. Here my wife was at the Spa and would never know if I snuck a non discounted DOTD in. But guilt overwhelmed me and I darted down to the room to get my glass. At least that’s the official story just in case she ever reads this.

Carnival ship arriving late after beer run.
P5144395.JPG

The plan was that my DW was going to continue to enjoy the Rainforest room after her spa treatment was over at noon and meet me back up on deck at 1 ish. My job was to get the boys from the kids club at 12:30 and force them to eat and enjoy the pool. After finishing my DOTD, I headed down to deck 5 and picked up the boys. They looked pretty comatose in front of the computer screens. Despite having computers in their rooms at home, we don’t allow excessive game play, but as this was their vacation too, we let them do whatever they wanted in the kids clubs. So I drag them back to the room, have them change into their suits and apply sunscreen (mine and their favorite activity). If anyone ever walked in on me applying sunscreen on my kids they would immediately call Health and Family Services and accuse me of putting acid on my kids. Oh the drama.

Back up on deck 9 I learn that DS7 has already eaten with the kids club and DS11 is not quite hungry yet. So they both go into the pool. Right around this time, the Goofy Pool is closed due to another kid deciding to save their parents the trouble of drying them off and escorting them to the restroom. In fact, those of you with eagle eyes may have noticed the closed Goofy pool in the background of yesterday’s photo of DS7 in the hot tub. (I put the wrong photo in yesterday’s post). Actually, those of you with eagle eyes should be arrested because that is illegal and cruel.

But now the time is fast approaching 1:00 and I’ve yet to fulfill my parental duties of making sure both kids are fed. Which would not really be a problem if DW were not about to show up at any moment. We have very differing views on feeding children. She is the type, as I’ve learned are most moms, especially Italian ones, where a child can never have enough food even if they are as wide as they are tall. And I’m the type that says you should never offer food to kids but instead wait at least several days after they ask for something just to be sure they really will eat it without complaining. Anyway, DS11 is old enough that he does not need help getting food and so all I have to do is remind him that he has to at least have food on a plate by 1:00.

Right around that time, DW comes back from her spa retreat. She gets a plate of food and I get one more order of chicken and a couple slices of pizza (BBQ and Hawaiian are my favorites). Its nearing 2:00 which is when I have a date with several lovely beers. But then I notice a lady eating a plate of crab claws. I have just enough time to get a bowl and scarf them down before getting to the beer tasting. I get in the fairly short line for BBB trying to avoid looking directly in the eyes of the CM handing out the germ killing wet naps. No matter, one is forced upon me. Hmmmm, 5 minutes and the line has not moved a bit. Some people just can’t decide when given so many choices. They want to see all their options first, so they stand there craning their necks to see what lies ahead, or sending out a member of the family on a reconnaissance mission while they just stand there blocking the rest of us. These “problem buffet line people” should be tagged in a central database sort of like the no fly list and then directed to a special line just for them, preferably on a NCL ship.

I decide to dart over to the other side of BBB in hopes that the lines there are shorter. Sure enough, one entire side of the buffet is completely empty, while the other side is full of completely non moving “problem buffet line people”. I rejoice and congratulate myself on not simply following the heard. My obvious mental superiority has allowed me to bypass the Neanderthals waiting hopelessly in line. Ummmm – where are the crab claws? I can see them in the Neanderthal line, but not my wonderful, void of any people line? That’s when the friendly Disney CM informs me that I’m in the pizza line and there are no crab claws in this line. UGHHHH. Pride tastes terrible. Luckily I get to chase it with beer. But seriously now, what happens next is where Disney surpasses many other cruise lines in service. After I explain to the CM that I only wanted crab claws, he takes my bowl and fills it for me, complete with a shell cracker. I sulk out of there as I’m sure everyone is thinking I’m getting preferential treatment and will mark me as an enemy combatant. Ok, they are not the best crab claws I’ve had, but still good enough that I eat every one.

My friend and I rush down to Diversions for the beer tasting. There are only 8 of us and as we are seated, we are served 5 different beers each, plus one mystery beer on the side. I am seated across from two Gators fans. I can spot a Gator fan a mile away by the lack of class and poor posture - and the fact that they had these tacky t-shirts on that said “Gators”. This was not a good combination as we were about to drink large quantities of beer and as any college football fan can tell you, beer and fans of opposing teams do not mix. But joking aside, they were a really nice couple despite their poor taste in football teams. And I really felt sorry for the wife because just as the host started his presentation on the first beer we were about to sample, her pager went off. She left and never returned. Hopefully her child was OK, but we never found out. The host, whose name has slipped my mind because if you did not already get this – we were drinking large quantities of ale – was fantastic. He gave us lots of information that I found very informative and amusing at the time, but that I’ve completely forgotten because – well, you know. After the lessons and tasting were complete, we were invited to chat, ask questions, and finish all the beers. The host did a great job of making the event light and enjoyable and getting everyone to have fun. As an example, he brought out some Bass and Guinness and asked if anyone wanted to make black and tans. Then they got to drink them, which is much more enjoyable than just making them. He passed out additional beer too. I won’t reveal the secret “mystery” beer as I don’t even remember drinking it by this point and don’t want to spoil it for anyone. Oh, and the husband of the lady who had to leave, did not want her beer. We offered that he should take them to her in “to go” cups, but he refused. I bet he got hell over that. So we all drank one of her beers in her honor. Now I know I was just lucky, but next time I won’t chance it to luck. I’m going to have my DW go to the kids club and page several of the others attending the beer tasting. So in conclusion, if you like beer, it is well worth the $15 for the tasting. I recommend it so much that it should be a tip….

TIP : Drink beer

No caption needed

P5144414.JPG

As my friend and I stumble out of Diversions, we realize it is 3:00. What was supposed to be a 30 minute beer tasting ended up going for an hour. I told you it was fun. So we figure we better check in with the wives or we may never taste beer again. We go back to our rooms , which are just a few doors down from each other, and he has a note in his little fishy note holder thingy. It said his wife was at Cove Café, so he headed that way to find her. I did not have a note, because my wife does not love me. I went into the cabin and found out why – she was in bed sleeping. All the spa time relaxing and getting a massage had worn the poor little darling out. So I left and headed to Cove Café to find my friends. A little coffee sounds great right about now since all the beers are making me sleepy. It actually took some effort not to climb into bed with DW and nap.

On my way to Cove Café, Stitch was out by the pool taking photos and there was no line. So I just HAD to have my photo taken with him. With no one in line, we got to fool around a bit (not like that you sickos) and goof off.

TIP: The best time to take photos with the characters is when no one else is in line.

TIP (two in a row – that’s a record): The ship was full, but Cove Café and Outlook Café were usually empty. If you want a very nice relaxing place to enjoy some espresso or cappuccino (they have a LaCimbali machine) and read a book or just look out the window, this is a wonderful spot that has not been discovered by the masses yet. And prices are pretty reasonable. All they needed was some Nutella for the croissants in the morning.

Me and my bud Stitch. Wife would not let me get photo with Ariel after what happened last time.

P5144416.JPG

Right around the corner was Cove Café, but they were not there. Nor where they upstairs in Outlook Café, but I saw them down by the adult pool.

So I’m feeling not so sleepy and skip the coffee because right now I see an opportunity to visit with my friends. We really have not spent much time together other than dinner the previous night. That was sort of by design – too much of a good thing and all. But anyway, I join them sitting in the sun by the pool. Bam – “Would you like a drink sir?”. If I’m going to get any peace and quiet, I’m going to have to order a drink. And here I was again without my Official Disney Cruise Line DOTD Plastic Glass. But I had an out. I did not want to risk waking my poor dear wife by going into the room to get the glass. So we spent a very relaxing hour sitting there talking and drinking.

I then went back to the room and my DW was not there. So I explored the ship looking for her and taking more of those wonderful photos that she immediately deletes when she sees them on the computer. Around 5 I decided I really needed that coffee after all and went into Cove Café where I sat with an espresso and read a magazine (they have plenty of magazines for reading there). DW found me and we sat and chatted for a while.

Secret aft sun deck - no one was there.

P5144419.JPG

Thanks all for reading.

Added photo of me and Stitch. He made me laugh the next day - details in the CC day report.

Back to our exciting adventure on the high seas. Now where was I? Oh yes, sitting in Cove Cafe and talking to my DW. I know what you are thinking - after (checks wedding date inscribed on inside of ring and tries to do the math) 18 long long years of marriage, what could you and DW possibly have left to say to each other. Those of you with children know exactly what we were talking about - the kids (and when the heck am I going to get that vasectomy).

Finally it was time to get the little rug rats (opps, sorry, those are Nickelodeon owned characters) - the Little Einstiens, feed them a snack and get them ready for the show. Tonight was the Pirate Party night and DS7 was going to dress as a pirate. So DW took them down to the room to get them and herself ready. I got some snacks and brought them to the room. We all got showered and dressed and headed to see Toy Story the Musical which we’d never seen before as it is new.

A pirate's life for me door

P5144382.JPG

Cute right? Just like Gremlins.

P5144434.JPG

We thought the show was pretty good, but not as good as The Golden Mickeys nor Disney Dreams. DS11 loved the costumes, and I agree that was the best part. What was lacking were the original songs. Other than “You’ve got a friend in me”, all the other songs were new and obviously composed just for this show. They seemed rather generic as opposed to the unique and catchy songs we grew to love watching the movie. But still, it was better than most cruise lines where you can see Bob and his Amazing Dummy act, featuring his talent less wife as the dummy.

Trying to look scary.

P5144437.JPG

DW took the kids to “A Pirate’s Life For Me” game show and I went back to the room to pour us a glass of wine. The first day you may recall I ordered wine glasses from room service (no?, you don't recall - its right up there in the first post). But we’d left them at the dinner table – on purpose as I did not want to carry dirty wine glasses back to the room (We are pretty so fist icate ed like that). I did not want to wait 30+ minutes for more to arrive, so I stopped by the Promenade Lounge and they were more than happy to give me a couple wine glasses. Once filled back at the room, I met up with DW and the boys for the APLFM game show. It was fun, geared towards kids, and involves the audience. My boys loved it.

DW made us take a few shots of us together - probably to be used in court against me.

P5144446.JPG

Now it was time for dinner at Animator’s Palette. We requested the TAP dining rotation because we wanted to be in AP for the Pirate Night, and we wanted to skip Parrot Cay for Palo. However, from reading on the DIS, we discovered that nothing special happens in the dining room on pirate night on 3 day cruises anymore. They used to give pirate bandanas to wear, but now there is nothing. Of all the menus, this one we liked the least. If it had not been for wanting the kids to see the color changing show in AP, we would have probably picked this night for our Palo night. Don’t get me wrong, the food was fine, but for us, the selections were not as appealing as other menus. For appetizer I ordered the Ahi Tuna Tartare With Caviar, Chives, and Wasabi Cream. It was really good. Next I ordered the Confetti tomato salad and something else that I can’t remember and which is not on any menu I found online. The tomato salad was kind of blah. The tomatoes were Ok, but they were served over plain wilted lettuce. For my main courses (I got two) I ordered prime rib (I think, because again, I can’t find it on any menu) and the Black Bean Chipotle Cakes Over Corn Kernels and Brown Rice topped with Tomato-Cilantro Salsa. The black bean cakes were really good and just as advertised. A bit too spicy for my DW who took a bite. For dessert I had the Animator's Sweet Temptations - A Trio of Strawberry Sable, Cranberry and Orange Cheesecake, and Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake. Plus a Mickey Bar.

Composite of 3 photos I took during the meal showing progression of color or colour for you Brits.

P5144441.jpg

Mickey looks a little deranged, but still tasted good.

P5144445.JPG

TIP: If nothing on the menu looks good, or you just don’t like what you get, you can order something else from the other restaurant’s menu. You can usually go to Guest Services the first day and get copies of all the menus, or you can just print them out from the FAQ link here on the DIS. Although as I have discovered, the new AP has one or two changes.

Since the boys were showing signs of kids club withdrawal, we used the Dine and Play option for DS7. When we got to the table we notified our waiters that he would be participating in the DnP and leaving at 9, so they made sure to get his dinner out early. It worked great. You just bring your child to the restaurant entrance and counselors there take them to the lab for you. This is only available for the late seating time. We have nothing like this at our house. Wouldn’t it be great to have a live in Au Pair that could take the kids when they started whining? If we did not spend so much money on vacations, maybe we could afford one. She’d have to be good looking too, in which case I don’t think DW is going to let her into the country, let alone our home. DS7 pretty much never went into the Club but always stayed at the Lab. The smaller children in the Club never seemed to migrate over to the Lab and vice versa. A short time after DS7 left for the club, DS11 and our friends DS11 left and checked themselves into the lab. (Are you as confused as I am?) Lets just say at this point we were kidless again. Here we were worried that DS7 would be paging us every hour or so to check on him or come and get him, or that DS11 would be checking himself out of the lab all the time to do who knows what. But as it turned out, it was like the hotel California. Once checked in, they could not check out – or at least never wanted us to check them out.

The servers are very accommodating. One note – they try very hard, almost too hard, to make sure you rate everything excellent. They kept reminding us that if we did not like anything, to let them know and they will be sure to bring us something we liked, as they are responsible for the food preparation even though they don’t cook it. It was fine to hear the first time, but they kept repeating it over and over. I know the kinds of pressure they are under and the long hours they work and don’t blame them at all.

We lingered over coffee and dessert. According to one waiter, the fireworks go off at 10:15. The other said 10:30. So we left the restaurant around 10:00 and picked up the kids from the lab to head up to the Pirate Party. We watched the party from deck 10 with tired kids that needed to be held. Right around 10:30 Mickey shows up and the fireworks go off. I bet that good for nothing Carnival cruise ship was out there running with their lights off trying to get a glimpse of OUR fireworks. We know they are too cheap and don’t have the kind of pull Disney has to get their own fireworks.

Mickey saves the night and the dessert buffet from evil.

P5144454.JPG

Oooooh

P5144455.JPG

Aaaaaah

P5144458.JPG

The oooooh and aaaah reminds me of a joke. Ready? Don't worry, its included with your admission price.

The oooooh aaaaaah bird is so called because it lays square eggs.

Ok where was I? Oh yes, hurting my brain trying to remember what happened next.

Then it was off to bed for DW and DS7, but not before taking a photo in front of the buffet.

Pooped Pirate

P5144460.JPG

Keen eyes will observe a tray of fresh fruit in the photo. Have no fear, that is only a very small part of the buffet and there are plenty of unhealthy, beautifully decorated, OK tasting desserts. They may all be gone by the time YOU actually get through the line, but I bet the fruit will always be there.

DS11 and I stayed up and sampled the desserts.
Here is where cruising gets a bad reputation - Late night buffets, but with Disney it is 90% desserts with a few giant turkey legs thrown in for appetizers. After the fireworks people scrambled to get in the buffet lines. They pushed and shoved and I’m sure most of them had gone several minutes without eating anything. Really, we learned from past cruises that the Pirate Party desserts all taste about the same and so skipped them. Instead we had the crepes. It was late, we were all tired, and the lines are quite disorganized. This is one area where Disney could apply a little order – maybe in the form of their cattle fencing that they use in the parks to route everyone in the right direction. (Don't you hate when people in these lines go over or under to cut in front of you? That's why cattle fences are electrifed Disney - are you listening?) DS11 and I stayed up and watched part of the Pirates movie being shown on Aerial view TV before heading to bed.

And so ended our Nassau day.

OH - almost forgot. The amazing sailing yacht that was docked in Nassau - owned by Jim Clark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(yacht)

See the size of that mast? Must be compensating for something. At least thee with little money likes to think so.

well now i have to ask....what happened with Ariel the last time?popcorn:::rotfl:

The Disney lawyers say I'm not allowed to talk about it. Actually, I was just kidding. Sort of. I was thinking of about an encounter with another character which is not really that funny or amusing. We were at MGM for Star Wars weekend and Aayla Secura was there taking photos so I had my photo taken with her and my wife just thought I was a little too happy and giddy about it as I would not stop talking about her and if she (my DW) would paint her entire body blue for me. And on top of that, DW did not actually take a photo of me with her, so I was really bummed for a week.

Here is the only good photo I could find of her online.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/mackrekerdude/SW-Cast-Aayla-Secura-01.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter