May 11th 2008 ~ Any Double Dippers Out There?

Melissa I had the 2007 Passporter for DCL so I didn't bother with the 2008 - you'll have to tell me if there's anything noted as "new" for 2008!!

Curses Karen! :mad: Now since post 787 I can't get the damn song out of my head "it's a world of laughter, a world of tears..........." with those little wooden children going round and round in my head!

Sorry!!! :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

GOT MY PASSPORTER!!! :cool1: I'm gonna be a little busy for a couple hours now. :cheer2: I'll be back after I've read it with my trusty highlighter and post-its.

Which begs the question - where's mine?????!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: DD ordered me a new refill but it doesn't seem to have arrived yet... :sad2:

So DD had her communion pics taken today..... WOW what a dress... She looked beautiful... Wait until you see it.... Communion is a week from Saturday...

Can you post any photos, Gary??? I'd love to see them... :goodvibes

I made an error when I put in the ages of my children! My DD is 9 (not 8). She was not very happy to see I entered her age wrong. (she has actually been 9 since August) I guess we can call it a senior moment!!:goodvibes

Curses Karen! :mad: Now since post 787 I can't get the damn song out of my head "it's a world of laughter, a world of tears..........." with those little wooden children going round and round in my head!

Noooo!! Run away, Run away! Here's one for you -- I was just on hold with CRO and those @#$# started playing "Innnn the tikitikitikitikitiki room" GAAAAAAH! The only person that's going to drive more crazy is my husband b/c I'll just keep busting out with that one line alllll day long.

So DD had her communion pics taken today..... WOW what a dress... She looked beautiful... Wait until you see it.... Communion is a week from Saturday.

Its getting closer.........

Go Phils!

GS

The one time I've been to a communion, I was 13 and completely jealous of those dresses! Yeah, I know that's not what I should have been noticing, but what can I say, I was a 13 year old girl. ;) I bet her's is gorgeous.

GOT MY PASSPORTER!!! :cool1: I'm gonna be a little busy for a couple hours now. :cheer2: I'll be back after I've read it with my trusty highlighter and post-its.

Melissa I had the 2007 Passporter for DCL so I didn't bother with the 2008 - you'll have to tell me if there's anything noted as "new" for 2008!!

Ditto that! Now I'm jealous; I almost regret being hasty and buying the 2007 *sniff* There's something very thrilling about packages, let alone one about the cruise! :thumbsup2

YAY! A little pixie dust this morning :wizard: I had just gotten done pilling the cat...she was pissed, I was pissed (and not the good kind, though tempting and might have helped things along....just a spoon full of tequila helps the medicine go dooown). Still grumbling and nursing a gnawed finger, I jumped online to check my email and voila! Disney finally released a handy-dandy discount code and my TA was able to upgrade me to a courtyard room at WL for less than what I was paying for a standard. Whoopeee!!!

Now c'mon lucky 7's, mama needs a DCL upgrade! :teeth:

So has anyone done the cleaning/pressing service on DCL? We're thinking about sending out some stuff for pressing (like Palo clothes), but not sure how fast a turn around they give, if they're good about not scorching, or what not. Any one? Bueller?

Snicker Snicker

I was wondering about this too, thanks for asking.

I was thinking about taking a small suitcase with diapers and bottles of water so we'll have those things on the cruise and then have an empty suitcase to use for souvenirs on the way home. Can we transport liquids in our suitcases onto the ship? I know that would be okay on the plane, but does the cruise ship have different rules? What about alcohol? I've read some questions that have made me think if we're taking the Disney tranport from the airport, that we can't take any alcohol on those shuttles. Is that true? Even in a box or suitcase?

I made an error when I put in the ages of my children! My DD is 9 (not 8). She was not very happy to see I entered her age wrong. (she has actually been 9 since August) I guess we can call it a senior moment!!:goodvibes

Sorted! :thumbsup2

...to you and you and you! :wave: :wave2: :wave:

I'm packed and ready to go so I'll see you all when I get back from Barbados...

Have fun! :goodvibes

I was thinking about taking a small suitcase with diapers and bottles of water so we'll have those things on the cruise and then have an empty suitcase to use for souvenirs on the way home.

Can we transport liquids in our suitcases onto the ship? I know that would be okay on the plane, but does the cruise ship have different rules? What about alcohol? I've read some questions that have made me think if we're taking the Disney tranport from the airport, that we can't take any alcohol on those shuttles. Is that true? Even in a box or suitcase?

Ok, as weird as this sounds, I've read a few tips of how people will bring their raggedy items (underwear/socks that are functional but probably ready to be chucked out, old swimsuits, things kids are on the verge of outgrowing, etc) and then just throw them away at the end of the cruise instead of repacking them. Then they use the extra space for souvs. I imagine with sprouting little kids there are a ton of those items :thumbsup2 I know DH has some raggedy old tees he just keeps holding onto. Sounds like I should pack them for him to wear while snorkeling and then they'll be mysteriously lost :rolleyes1

They just changed the rules to disallow checked liquids on DCL (though formula and meds are diff...I think, don't quote me). But they are still allowing you to carry on stuff (i.e. water...or *cough* something stronger ;) ) Just nothing like a big igloo on wheels :lmao: Though you might be able to have your kids sit on it and try to convince them it's your stroller.

I don't know about the Disney transport -- i.e. since they grab your luggage, how you'd handle getting booze out of your checked luggage before the porters take it at DCL and get you in trouble. Maybe leave the DCL tags off of your luggage, pick them up yourself at luggage check at the airport, transfer them into your carry-on before handing them to the driver? I dunno...completely speculative. Maybe if you ask on the main board?

Personally I won't be carrying anything myself. I'm usually all about saving money, but since it's a vacation and we don't splurge much the rest of the year, I'm happy as a clam to pay the bar/wait staff for the convenience of carrying and thinking as little as possible :rotfl:

...to you and you and you! :wave: :wave2: :wave:

I'm packed and ready to go so I'll see you all when I get back from Barbados...

Have fun! :goodvibes

Hasta Luego and bon voyage! Take pictures for us trapped back in mundane land!

Dry cleaning service??? Isn't that what Downy Dewrinkler is for???? Gotta love that stuff. The first time we used it was on our last cruise and now everytime DH uses it (um...every night on his so called "wrinkle free" shirts) the wonderful smell takes me back to the ship.

As far as alcohol, I've always brought beer w/ me in a carry-on. Never had a problem on the shuttles. We are going to just rent a car this year and save mega bucks...$30 compared to $280! We'll just stop and get our alcohol on the way to the ship. I may pick up some baby food and diapers too. Although, last cruise, I just broke the diapers up and shoved them in different spots. That left room in the suitcases for on the way home. We just drink the water on the ship so I don't have to worry about that. I think it tastes great.

My day has been spent dealing w/ a septic system on one of my deals. I'm a Realtor and supposedly EVERYthing was fine on this deal closing next week. Anyhow, now there seems to be problems, blah, blah, blah!!! It's always something. Seller doesn't want to pay, buyer doesn't want to pay. :sad2: :guilty: It better close though, since I'm counting on this sale to help pay for the trip!!!! :confused:

Ok, as weird as this sounds, I've read a few tips of how people will bring their raggedy items (underwear/socks that are functional but probably ready to be chucked out, old swimsuits, things kids are on the verge of outgrowing, etc) and then just throw them away at the end of the cruise instead of repacking them. Then they use the extra space for souvs. I imagine with sprouting little kids there are a ton of those items :thumbsup2 I know DH has some raggedy old tees he just keeps holding onto. Sounds like I should pack them for him to wear while snorkeling and then they'll be mysteriously lost :rolleyes1

I've heard that too, and honestly, the diapers and goodnights alone should take up most of one suitcase. LOL

They just changed the rules to disallow checked liquids on DCL (though formula and meds are diff...I think, don't quote me).

Ok, that's what I thought I had read. :( I know we can ship stuff ahead of time also, but I just don't see how that'd save us much money.

I don't know about the Disney transport -- i.e. since they grab your luggage, how you'd handle getting booze out of your checked luggage before the porters take it at DCL and get you in trouble. Maybe leave the DCL tags off of your luggage, pick them up yourself at luggage check at the airport, transfer them into your carry-on before handing them to the driver? I dunno...completely speculative. Maybe if you ask on the main board?

Personally I won't be carrying anything myself. I'm usually all about saving money, but since it's a vacation and we don't splurge much the rest of the year, I'm happy as a clam to pay the bar/wait staff for the convenience of carrying and thinking as little as possible :rotfl:

We will actually be arriving the day before and staying the night at a hotel, then checking in with the Disney people the next day. From what I've read, I think that means we are responsible to pick up our own luggage at baggage claim the day we arrive, and then check it with the Disney people the next day, before we travel to the ship. If that's the case, I'd have time then to remove any alcohol, etc. from our luggage. I'd just pick up whatever we want when we get to Orlando, but not only do I not know what will be near, I will get better prices buying it through the military.

Tarabra said:
Dry cleaning service??? Isn't that what Downy Dewrinkler is for???? Gotta love that stuff. The first time we used it was on our last cruise and now everytime DH uses it (um...every night on his so called "wrinkle free" shirts) the wonderful smell takes me back to the ship.

I thought about this, but I can't handle scents like this very well. My daughter also fights terrible headaches still, even after her surgery, so having scents like that linger in the stateroom would probably not be a good idea. :( We have small strips of fabric softener in the baggies with the outfits I've already packed and I'm actually a little worried that those will add too much perfumey type smell. :confused3

We'll just stop and get our alcohol on the way to the ship.

My day has been spent dealing w/ a septic system on one of my deals. I'm a Realtor and supposedly EVERYthing was fine on this deal closing next week. Anyhow, now there seems to be problems, blah, blah, blah!!! It's always something. Seller doesn't want to pay, buyer doesn't want to pay. :sad2: :guilty: It better close though, since I'm counting on this sale to help pay for the trip!!!! :confused:

What is the name of that liquor store everyone says has good prices? ABC or something? Though we're not carrying on stuff, I am glad we're renting rather than the shuttle...it just seems anytime we've relied on Disney transport, something has happened that we really could have used a car for. Plus we get to stop at DTD before heading to the airport :thumbsup2

Sorry about the issues. I bet somebody cried, right? When we finally sold our house a few years back everyone warned me something always go wrong and someone either gets mad or cries. So when we met at the Title office and found out there was a problem, yep..you guessed it...I had to go to the ladies room b/c I got teary-eyed! I really feel for agents having to deal with sooo much emotion.

Ok, that's what I thought I had read. :( I know we can ship stuff ahead of time also, but I just don't see how that'd save us much money.

Well they aren't allowing shipping of alcohol anymore either, and there's now a weight and size limit :confused3 ALAS! I had thought about shipping ahead our big floats, but I'll just have to pack them to bring home again, so what's the point. That and I'm cheap. :rolleyes1

I will get better prices buying it through the military.

Okay, I totally know what you meant by that, but for some reason this phrase cracked me up. The United States Military, your one stop shopping for Fine Wines and Spirits. :rotfl:

but I can't handle scents like this very well.

Ick me either. And don't get me started on the smell of Febreeze or Lysol. :crazy2: Now if the de-wrinkler people come out with a limoney-fresh or pumpkin-pie scent we're in business!

Okay, I totally know what you meant by that, but for some reason this phrase cracked me up. The United States Military, your one stop shopping for Fine Wines and Spirits. :rotfl:

Ick me either. And don't get me started on the smell of Febreeze or Lysol. :crazy2: Now if the de-wrinkler people come out with a limoney-fresh or pumpkin-pie scent we're in business!

ROFL Yep, the US Military is good to help you get tanked. :lmao: I have such a hard time even buying a glass of wine out when we can buy it at the military package store for so much less than restaurants charge. I try to be thrifty with one income and a larger family, so that's a real splurge for us. ;)

I've considered renting a vehicle either the night of the 10th or the afternoon of the 15th, to use in Orlando. We don't get in real early, on the 10th, however, and leave at around 6:30PM on the 15th, so we'll need to be at the airport by about 4:30. I'm thinking a car rental on either day is likely to be a huge waste of time, money, and sanity.

OH, I remembered what else I wanted to ask!!! Do the Disney shuttles have seatbelts? I'm debating whether or not to bring our carseats. I don't want to check them at the airport (I'm hoping to buy a CARES Harness for the little guy to use on the plane) and risk them being damaged with careless handling. I also don't want to have to carry them around and store them on the ship, if we won't even have any use for them. The thought of my children riding in a bus with no seatbelt horrifies me, but somethings are beyond our control. :confused3 I'm sure I could request that Make a Wish allow us to just rent a vehicle to take to the port, so we'd have the seatbelts, but I am looking forward to things being as simple and stress-free as possible. I don't want to deal with possibly getting lost, having to turn in the vehicle, etc. Now, if we ever go on another Disney Cruise, I may do things differently, but it won't all seem so overwhelming, so I'll be more adventurous about that type of thing. ;)

Feeling even more confident about not needing our warm weather clothes before the trip since we got SNOW last night!! :rotfl2: I grew up in Oklahoma, where it's already beginning to get hot. I'm not used to this Pacific Northwest weather!! I do :love: it out here, but it's still strange to get snow in the Spring!!

So, today will involve finding a week's worth of cruise friendly clothes in our summer boxes, washing them so they'll be fresh again, and PACKING!! :laundy: Luckily my DH is very understanding and patient with my obsessiveness over this trip. If I can keep the rest of my family from feeling any stress, and help them have the most amazing vacation of their lives so far, I'll be a VERY happy woman! Make a Wish has done all the difficult stuff, so now I get to do the mama/wife stuff. :cloud9:

I thought about this, but I can't handle scents like this very well. My daughter also fights terrible headaches still, even after her surgery, so having scents like that linger in the stateroom would probably not be a good idea. :( We have small strips of fabric softener in the baggies with the outfits I've already packed and I'm actually a little worried that those will add too much perfumey type smell. :confused3

You know what...you should contact Downy and tell them they should make it in scent free. I'm sure it is too strong for a lot of people. I called to the makers of my favorite hairspray. They changed the size of the bottle and it wouldn't fit in my medicine cabinet anymore. I used to have to pour it into a competitor's bottle. I just noticed at the store the other day, they made the bottle shorter again!! :banana:

As far as the seatbelts on the bus...I don't think they do. I know I've never seen carseats on the bus. You should see at the ports...we were on an open air bus, on naaaarrrroow roads holding DD on my lap. They also drive like nuts. I need to find out what the deal is with car seats from the rental place. I'm not lugging mine along. We have enough stuff.

You know what guys, I'm starting to think we're going to have a pretty uncrowded cruise. According to DCL.com, we still have most cats available! Two adults can still book cat 4-12. And 2 adults and 2 kids can book cats 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Even my cruise in low-season January sold out faster than this, and the May cruise before ours has less cabins available than our cruise. Weird huh? I thought with Mother's Day it would be more popular, but I guess it falling so close to the end of school has kept more people away. (Not that I'm complaining, more lounge chair for me ;) )

Anyone else been thinking about those poor people whose flights have been canceled lately b/c of SW issues, and then b/c American and Delta have been inspecting their MD-80's? I can't help but wonder how many poor families were on their way to WDW and had their flights yanked. Very sad. Okay, so maybe I'm projecting a little :rotfl: We are on American ourselves, connecting through DFW on an MD-80 of course. I hope for all of our sakes, they have these issues resolved before May!

Seriously people, I'm finding that all this planning sometimes takes a strange turn. Despite having no babe's of my own, I've somehow turned into DH's mother. :rolleyes1 I realized it the other day after I actually had this conversation with myself: "Well, I'd like to go to the park on the day we arrive, but I know DH will be tired and may want to rest, so going to the park might make him cranky. But you know, if I can get him to sleep on the plane, he'll be fine. I'll just make sure he puts on his Bose Quiet headphones, that always puts him right to sleep." Just change out "headphones" for bottle or binky, and you see the problem. Ummmmm.....so yeah, needless to say I went and confessed to DH and apologized for thinking of him as a 2-year old. :rotfl: Though in my defense he did say, "Well thanks, but you're probably right about all of it." But I'd still say I'm a little Disney warped.

You know what...you should contact Downy and tell them they should make it in scent free. I'm sure it is too strong for a lot of people. I called to the makers of my favorite hairspray. They changed the size of the bottle and it wouldn't fit in my medicine cabinet anymore. I used to have to pour it into a competitor's bottle. I just noticed at the store the other day, they made the bottle shorter again!! :banana:

As far as the seatbelts on the bus...I don't think they do. I know I've never seen carseats on the bus. You should see at the ports...we were on an open air bus, on naaaarrrroow roads holding DD on my lap. They also drive like nuts. I need to find out what the deal is with car seats from the rental place. I'm not lugging mine along. We have enough stuff.

That's a good idea about contacting Downy. I've contacted other companies about things like the dyes in their products or the latex issues, and have now seen dye free products and latex free versions.

Car rental places should have car seats. Advantage just had a huge bad rap on our news and have now revamped their whole process company wide, apparently. They had some locations that were giving out old, icky carseats, some missing pieces, etc. One carseat was possibly as old as 25 years or something amazing like that! So, I'd be most comfortable renting through them right now, since they've been under the spotlight and have issued a statement about revamping things. They now say each carseat is to be cleaned after every rental, checked for safety, and the renters will get a copy of the instruction book so they can properly install it. They also say every carseat will be replaced at it's two year mark. Wherever you rent, just check the carseat out well, make sure it's clean and has all the pieces. Also make sure you know how to install and use it, and it fits properly in the vehicle you have rented. Some car rental companies have the carseat already installed when you arrive, so you might also check that it is properly installed in that type of situation. I'm sure you'd do that anyway, but just sharing the information I found while researching the subject. :thumbsup2

You know what guys, I'm starting to think we're going to have a pretty uncrowded cruise.

Ummmmm.....so yeah, needless to say I went and confessed to DH and apologized for thinking of him as a 2-year old. :rotfl: Though in my defense he did say, "Well thanks, but you're probably right about all of it." But I'd still say I'm a little Disney warped.

I'm thinking an uncrowded cruise is a good thing. ;)

:rotfl2: at your Mommy instincts taking over when caring for your hubby!! Maybe you should just think of it as wanting him to have the best trip possible. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter