May 10, 2008 Ship of Thieves! Stealing the Magic..AGAIN!!! Panama Canal FL to CA!!! Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
"... we will be enhancing these two voyages to make them even more special for our guests considering this recent increase and hope that you will be onboard for all the fun and festivities.

Mmmm, just had a thought. :scratchin
I wonder if DCL remember what happened when Cunard upset their passengers on the QM2 in January 2006?

I'm curious about this.....

"We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Disney Magic for this extremely popular itinerary next year."

Translation: If you're not happy, then cancel. We have people waiting to take your stateroom and we'll charge them more than you were paying.

Or am I being too cynical here? ;)

No, I thought that too . . .

I don't think I posted this yet...but Samantha is in SO MUCH TROUBLE. She decided - in the middle of the night - to get up and bake a cake for daddy. I heard this commotion going on in the kitchen to find a dozen eggs, milk, cake mix, frosting, beaters, spoons, all on the floor. I guess I should feel happy she can follow directions on a box.

But did you get pictures, :confused3 .

So who is next in line up the ladder to write to? When does it become worth going right to the top in Disney?

I hope some of the media takes this up.

I don't think I posted this yet...but Samantha is in SO MUCH TROUBLE. She decided - in the middle of the night - to get up and bake a cake for daddy. I heard this commotion going on in the kitchen to find a dozen eggs, milk, cake mix, frosting, beaters, spoons, all on the floor. I guess I should feel happy she can follow directions on a box.

That is SOOO awesome! What an amazing act for a little one! To think that her thoughts were so much on her Dad that she did all of that. Of course, that doesn't take away the frustrating mess. Just shows how much she loves her Dad.

According to DCL, the $100.00 increase was in the government taxes being charged by the foreign ports the ship will be visiting. The taxes break down as follows:

Head Tax per person $139.99
INS User Fee per person $3.00
International Departure Fee $3.00
Custom User fee per person $1.75

So, prior everyone was paying like $47.74 per person in gov't taxes and fees?--that is not that much, I think my last 7-nt cruise was somewhere around $33. per person.

The UPDATED taxes/fees sounds correct. I priced a similar PC sailing on RCI and taxes/fees came out to $147.69 per person.

If you notice on a confirmation the gov't taxes and fees are separate as they can be audited on these. I know that RCI was audited years ago (like 10yrs ago--I think my first cruise was in '95) and they had to do refunds for overcharging guests --about two years after my sailing I got a refund check for like $6 or so due to their audit and overcharge.

So, I don't think there is much you can do about it since they are gov't taxes and fees.

But did you get pictures, :confused3 .

Nope, it was the middle of the night and I was so mad I wasn't thinking at all.....

well I picked up John's POTC cake and he's watering while I am decorating the living room table..then we are going swimming.

He wanted steak, green beans and corn on the cob for his bday dinner....so he'll grill the steaks, I am frying up bacon and onions and have to wash and pinch off the ends of the green beans and am soaking the corn in milk for grilling. Fun stuff....personally - going out to dinner would have been much easier. :rotfl:

We bought him a new swimsuit and a new wallet....nothing exciting. and quite a few Fantasy Football magazines and I found a POTC card that plays the pirates music when you open it....very cute.

how could she get in trouble for that? that's absolutley adorable!

Dear Stephanie:

Thank you for your response to my e-mail message.

We sincerely regret your continued disappointment. Please know that your concerns have been taken seriously.

Once again, we look forward to your 2008 voyage aboard the Disney Magic.

Sincerely,

Joseph
Executive Correspondent
Disney Cruise Line

BLAH BLAH BLAH...you're still coming so pipe down.
Steph

So, prior everyone was paying like $47.74 per person in gov't taxes and fees?--that is not that much, I think my last 7-nt cruise was somewhere around $33. per person.

The UPDATED taxes/fees sounds correct. I priced a similar PC sailing on RCI and taxes/fees came out to $147.69 per person.

If you notice on a confirmation the gov't taxes and fees are separate as they can be audited on these. I know that RCI was audited years ago (like 10yrs ago--I think my first cruise was in '95) and they had to do refunds for overcharging guests --about two years after my sailing I got a refund check for like $6 or so due to their audit and overcharge.

So, I don't think there is much you can do about it since they are gov't taxes and fees.

Unfortunately, I think the cruiselines muddy it up more than that from what I'm reading (I'm certainly not an expert). Anyway, for the EB cruise, Disney did list a $54.24/person "goverment taxes and fees" on the Panama Canal invoices. I believe the WB cruise may be cheaper due to different ports. However, your fare also has hidden "noncommissionable" charges. For EB Cruisers, it's $299/person that was also included in the total cost of the cruise.

Some TAs, including mine, refer to the "noncommissionable" fare as "Port Charges" because that's what the $299 is suppose to help pay. However, the cruiselines (due to I guess the lawsuit 10 years ago that got you a refund check) do not call these "port charges" so that they can relieve themselves of any issues that may arrise if they don't visit the planned port of calls. The "noncommissionables" seem to amount basically to a "slush" fund for port fees and other expenses paid in the transit, but by not calling them "port fees", the cruiseline may retain those fees for their bottom line if not used. Here's how my invoice appears from my TA for 2 Adults and 2 Children:

Your Price: $4,200.00
Taxes and Port Charges: $1,412.96
Processing Fee: $19.95
Insurance: Not Purchased
Total Price: $5,632.91

The Taxes and Port Charges were breaking down to $299/person for "noncommissionables" and $54.24/person for "Government taxes and fees", which is $353.24 total/person x 4 people equals $1,412.96.

Now, we're paying $453.24/person total or $1,812.96.

I don't think anyone disagrees that it does cost the cruiseline $$$$ to go through the Panama Canal. However, noone (including Disney) is able to show how the transit toll increased by $240,000 since January 31st, or $100/person. Either Disney accountants goofed and never considered ANY Panama Toll in their "slush" fund from day one, or they are using this as an excuse to increase their "slush" fund for other reasons (bottomline:rolleyes1 ).

Here are my references:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E4DD143EF930A15751C0A961958260

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/burbank/2006-04-04-burbank_x.htm

This may have been mentioned and with all my traveling I may have overlooked it but when checking my reservation with DU I noticed that my onboard credit has doubled. Have any of you noticed this? I am hoping it is not a mistake!

Dear Stephanie:

Thank you for your response to my e-mail message.

We sincerely regret your continued disappointment. Please know that your concerns have been taken seriously.

Once again, we look forward to your 2008 voyage aboard the Disney Magic.

Sincerely,

Joseph
Executive Correspondent
Disney Cruise Line

BLAH BLAH BLAH...you're still coming so pipe down.
Steph

A EBer checking in here. I got the same "canned" response when I returned Joseph's original email.

I am further annoyed now to realize that not only was DCL's original email a form letter, but if anyone responded to that email their response was also predetermined.

DCL continues to disappoint on this issue. I think I will do what others have talked about and start writing to the Travel Editors of major newspapers.

Jeff

I contact our local consumer reporter. I am going to see what they say regarding our situation. I would be very interested in hearing what florida people say regarding this, since disney is a huge part of their travel and tourism.
I was relating all of this to my sister who is a big RCCL cruiser and she called her TA to see what he had to say..his response was that he has heard the rumblings from disneys passengers, but due to their popularity he doubts they'll do anything. There's always someone to take our place. She told him about DU doubling the shipboard credit and he said he was happy to hear that one of disneys main TA's ( company that reps alot of disney travel) was assisting their passengers. I told her that I was happy about that too, since this was my first experience with DU. BUT..due to this change I will be cancelling my Nov. 08 cruise and rebooking on RCCL. I'll have a balcony for less money and I enjoy that cruiseline. So it's all good. Unless disney has some MAJOR gift for us to make up for the difference, I'll be moving back to RCCL for good. I've cruised with them 5 times and have enjoyed everyone. Disney hasn't lived up to the hype for me (the adult). I know we'll all still have a good time on the repo. I'll just make sure to eat more! hahahaha ;)
Steph

This may have been mentioned and with all my traveling I may have overlooked it but when checking my reservation with DU I noticed that my onboard credit has doubled. Have any of you noticed this? I am hoping it is not a mistake!

You should have gotten an e-mail from them. Yes, they doubled the OBC for all PC passengers, to help off-set the cost of the $100 per person charge DCL is adding to all our bills.

Where have you been?

Vanessa,
Grandpa and I both think that is just SO sweet :cutie: that she would get up in the middle of the night to bake for Daddy. :hug: How could she be in trouble for such a loving act? :confused:

Our pirate party!
IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

You should have gotten an e-mail from them. Yes, they doubled the OBC for all PC passengers, to help off-set the cost of the $100 per person charge DCL is adding to all our bills.

Where have you been?

I was in Puerto Valllarta for 2 weeks, came home for 4 days ( just in time to have my dog put to sleep, not a happy time), and then to NC to visit my parents for a week. Got home Tuesday and have DGS birthday party this morning. So have only been reading some of the board. School starts Monday so things should slow down in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter