MaxPass is a must - here's my strategy

kalynn

Mouseketeer
Just recently returned from Disneyland and had the MaxPass for all 5 of us. I would say it is a definite must. Between arriving at rope drop and making the most of the MaxPass, we never waited in line for more than 15 minutes. Here is how we made the most MaxPass:
  • Arrived at DL 45 minutes before opening. This gave us plenty of time to go through security and get a decent spot in line for park opening. After our entry tickets were scanned, we immediately got FastPasses for an attraction (can't remember which).
  • Walked down Mainstreet and secured our position at the entrance to Tomorrowland for rope drop.
  • At rope drop, went on Space Mountain twice. Then did a few more attractions in that area.
  • As wait times for the more popular lines became longer, we began using our FastPass, each time getting another one immediately after using the previous one.
  • A few hours into the day, we went on attractions that had shorter wait times (e.g., Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain)
  • By 1:00 PM, we had gone on 9 attractions and left the park.
  • Throughout the day (lunch, nap, swim, shopping, downtime, dinner), I continued to accumulate FastPasses. You can get a FastPass every 90 minutes throughout the day. We had accumulated 4 or 5 FPs for our evening return to the park.
  • At 6PM, returned to the park and used FastPasses, acquiring more throughout the evening and augmenting them with attractions that had shorter wait times.
  • We left the park before close.
In total, we rode on 19 attractions over a span of 8 hours at the park. We hit our favourites multiple times and were able to spend several hours back at our hotel resting up and enjoying hotel amenities.

I'm curious if others follow a similar strategy?

Just recently returned from Disneyland and had the MaxPass for all 5 of us. I would say it is a definite must. Between arriving at rope drop and making the most of the MaxPass, we never waited in line for more than 15 minutes. Here is how we made the most MaxPass:
  • Arrived at DL 45 minutes before opening. This gave us plenty of time to go through security and get a decent spot in line for park opening. After our entry tickets were scanned, we immediately got FastPasses for an attraction (can't remember which).
  • Walked down Mainstreet and secured our position at the entrance to Tomorrowland for rope drop.
  • At rope drop, went on Space Mountain twice. Then did a few more attractions in that area.
  • As wait times for the more popular lines became longer, we began using our FastPass, each time getting another one immediately after using the previous one.
  • A few hours into the day, we went on attractions that had shorter wait times (e.g., Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain)
  • By 1:00 PM, we had gone on 9 attractions and left the park.
  • Throughout the day (lunch, nap, swim, shopping, downtime, dinner), I continued to accumulate FastPasses. You can get a FastPass every 90 minutes throughout the day. We had accumulated 4 or 5 FPs for our evening return to the park.
  • At 6PM, returned to the park and used FastPasses, acquiring more throughout the evening and augmenting them with attractions that had shorter wait times.
  • We left the park before close.
In total, we rode on 19 attractions over a span of 8 hours at the park. We hit our favourites multiple times and were able to spend several hours back at our hotel resting up and enjoying hotel amenities.

I'm curious if others follow a similar strategy?
19 attractions in 8 hours? Wow! We're interested in about 18 attractions (not all rides) and have 12 hours! We're going to have MaxPass so any other tips?

Reactions: EmJ

We returned from Disneyland one month ago, and we did everything we wanted except for Peter Pan without Maxpass waiting no more than 10-15 minutes on the Wednesday and Friday of Holy Week before Easter. Peter Pan didn’t have Fastpass, so we did everything we could have done with Maxpass without paying for it.

I just discovered that in order to install the Disneyland App, I need to have IOS 11 installed. I then learned that my IPhone 5 is the last model which is completely unable to install IOS 11.

I suppose I'm just posting to ask whether anyone knows a way around this. Is there an older version of the app I could get somehow, or would I just plain be unable to use it if it's not the latest version?

Going in July.... so are there no return times set in stone?
Yes, there are return times on FP made with Max Pass. Return times are a one hour window such as 9:30 to 10:30. The OP could make FP for evening and bank them for later because later in the day the FP return times are later in the day. Max Pass users are still subject to FP rules. One helpful thing about Max Pass is you can make FP every 90 minutes whereas those who choose to use paper FP are subject to the 2 hour rule.
ETA you can have 2 FP for the same time. If at 3pm you pull a 7pm FP for RSR you could pull a nee FP at 430 for Goofys for 6:30. The two times overlap and the system doesn't care. This is different than at WDW where FP times cannot overlap.

I just discovered that in order to install the Disneyland App, I need to have IOS 11 installed. I then learned that my IPhone 5 is the last model which is completely unable to install IOS 11.

I suppose I'm just posting to ask whether anyone knows a way around this. Is there an older version of the app I could get somehow, or would I just plain be unable to use it if it's not the latest version?

Have you downloaded an older version of the Disneyland App previously on your Apple ID? If you have, I think you might be able to be sync up an older version of the app from your Apple ID. But other than that, I do not think you can install an older version of an app on iOS. Others may have insight though..

If you back up to iTunes/your computer (which every few people do anymore) you might be able to, but you will probably miss out on key features and the old one may not even work. You can probably find a use iPhone 6s or 7 for pretty cheap. Might be easier then fighting with using the old app.

If you back up to iTunes/your computer (which every few people do anymore) you might be able to, but you will probably miss out on key features and the old one may not even work. You can probably find a use iPhone 6s or 7 for pretty cheap. Might be easier then fighting with using the old app.
Other posters have said that they have been able to download an older version of the app from the iCloud for their older iPhones. But be aware that the older versions of the app may be wonky and not run as well with all the newer things that are going on in the parks now. If you only use the app for the most basic things, this might be fine anyway.
Other people have said that they have purchased an inexpensive (relatively), very basic iPhone only for use in the parks. Since these phones are not being used for anything else, they don't have to have all the bells and whistles. Look at Target, on Woot.com, eBay, etc.

A cheap android phone would be your best bet. Shame you can’t get fast passes through the website like you can at WDW but MaxPass is a better system IMO so worth getting a cheap phone for the app.
You could also get an iPhone 6 (cheapest iPhone that is compatible with IOS 11) used off eBay or similar but a new android (with a warranty is likely to be cheaper anyway.
All the best.

I am so confused by how all this works now. I am going to have to get it together for my summer trip.
What’s confusing you? Maybe lay out your concerns and we may be able to make things clearer for you.
All the best.

Sorry to create confusion, the Disneyland app requires you to have a phone capable of updating to software capable of running it. If you have a phone that's more than 3-4 years old, there's a chance it won't be compatible, and thus you wouldn't be able to use Max Pass or any features you might otherwise if you had the app. If you can install the latest version of the Disneyland app on your phone, then you should be fine. Make sure you have updated the phone to the latest software version available to you.

Your strategy matches what we did on our last trip. We were able to ride an enormous amount of rides and found MaxPass actually had us spending more time in the parks than ever before. I kept wanting to min/max the system as if I was chasing phat lewts in a video game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter