• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maximum disney visa reward dollars

I used $725 on our Alaska cruise. We had a party of 6, so that covered all the gratuities and still had some left for pictures and shopping!:thumbsup2

We used over $1500 towards our last cruise. No one ever said anything about a maximum amount when the payment was made.

I have had a Disney Visa for a few years now but I haven't used it. Are all the Disney Visas reward visas? Can I pay my final payment for our cruise using the Disney Visa and get reward dollars that I can use on our cruise for expenses?

I have had a Disney Visa for a few years now but I haven't used it. Are all the Disney Visas reward visas? Can I pay my final payment for our cruise using the Disney Visa and get reward dollars that I can use on our cruise for expenses?

There are two different Disney Reward Visa credit cards offered by Chase. There is the Disney Rewards Visa Card and the Disney Premier Visa Card. The main differences is the Premier has an annual fee and earns 2% at gas stations, grocery stores, and most Disney locations. The regular Rewards Visa earns 1% on all card purchases.

Both cards offer 0% Vacation Financing for many Disney vacation packages, Disney Cruise and ABD.

https://disneyrewards.com/

It depends when you make your final payment. Rewards are earned at the end of a billing cycle. When you are ready to use the rewards you must redeem and they send you a redemption card. If you get the redemption card before your cruise, they can set it up at Guest Services just like the credit card.

Short answer to your question...yes, you can make final payment with the Disney Visa and since PIF is 75 days before sailing you should have at least one billing cycle to officially "earn" the points and then use them for your onboard account. If you are making a last-minute reservation, you'd have to figure out the timing of your billing cycle to know whether you'll earn the points before the cruise or not.

One concern is that if you've had the card for "a few years now" the points do expire after 5 years, so you may have lost some points if you've had the card longer than that. Any each month you could be losing more. Check your statement (or call the customer service number on the back) and I'd transfer any soon-to-expire points ASAP -- they will still be good on a redemption card until Dec. 2014 if you transfer them now. And you can add more to the redemption card later to pay for your onboard account.

Enjoy your cruise!

As a mater of point, we don't pay for a credit card. Made the exception for the Disney Visa - we spend enough on Disney, Gas, Groceries and Restaurants (double point categories) to absorb the fee and still come out ahead - so we upgraded to the Premier Card. We just used almost 900 points to pay for airplane tickets. Now its time to start building those points back up again.

It says on Chase's Disney Visa Rewards site that there is no limit to how many Reward dollars you can earn. There might be a limit to how many you can *use* (ie, DCL might impose a limit) but I've never seen anyone list that.

Sayhello

While on the subject of Disney Visa card and the redemption card. I had $301.00 on our rewards card when we boarded the Magic on 10/27. On 10/29 I went to GS to place $200 of those reward dollars on my account. GS CM even stated "I see you have $301 do you want all of it on your onboard account or a partial amount" I said I only wanted $200 on the onboard account at this point (silly as I knew in my heart I would be spending more than what was on the rewards card). Anyway he said $200 was put toward my account and I got a printout of my OBA and it showed the $200 applied.

Next day I wanted to add the remaining $101 from my rewards card to my onboard account. A different GS CM this time and when he swiped the rewards card he said the balance was $0...he tried several times. I explained that the day before there was $301 and I only had $200 applied to my onboard account. He asked if I was sure there was $301 on it to begin with. He said there was nothing he could do to resolve the issue until 8:00 am the morning we got back to Miami. We were doing Express Walk off and had to be off the ship earlier than that so I said I would handle it at home.

After we were home I called Chase and explained the whole thing. The rep on the phone was very helpful and she saw that DCL took out $200 and then $101 right after that on the 29th. I said my final invoice only shows the $200 as being applied. The $101 was taken from my card but not applied to my account. He got lost in Neverland somewhere.

Chase rep told me to wait until the final DCL onboard charges posted to my account and see if the final balance dropped by $101. If it didn't call back and they will contact DCL. I have to call Chase tonight and hopefully get my $101 back. Chase rep said it looks good for me to get it back.

I know a partial amount could be applied and the whole amount did not have to come off the rewards card at one time. Something happened when the first GS CM swiped the rewards card.

So, no real moral to the story other than check your onboard account a few times during your cruise to make sure charges are accurate!!! (Sorry this was so long!)

MJ

So, no real moral to the story other than check your onboard account a few times during your cruise to make sure charges are accurate!!! (Sorry this was so long!)

MJ

ALWAYS very good advice! I have not had a cruise without an error on my account. I think I do screwy things like keep changing bookings, or something, but some weird charge always shows up on my accounts.

So always good advice to keep very good track of your on board account no matter what you are doing. :thumbsup2

I had them put all of our rewards dollars onto our onboard account on our cruise in June. We used I think all but like 28 dollars, and DCL transferred that back onto our rewards card at the end of the cruise. So dont worry about doing that... unless you are going to WDW right after the cruise and plan to use any unused rewards. It can take a week they said to get the points back on the redemption card.

While on the subject of Disney Visa card and the redemption card. I had $301.00 on our rewards card when we boarded the Magic on 10/27. On 10/29 I went to GS to place $200 of those reward dollars on my account. GS CM even stated "I see you have $301 do you want all of it on your onboard account or a partial amount" I said I only wanted $200 on the onboard account at this point (silly as I knew in my heart I would be spending more than what was on the rewards card). Anyway he said $200 was put toward my account and I got a printout of my OBA and it showed the $200 applied.

Next day I wanted to add the remaining $101 from my rewards card to my onboard account. A different GS CM this time and when he swiped the rewards card he said the balance was $0...he tried several times. I explained that the day before there was $301 and I only had $200 applied to my onboard account. He asked if I was sure there was $301 on it to begin with. He said there was nothing he could do to resolve the issue until 8:00 am the morning we got back to Miami. We were doing Express Walk off and had to be off the ship earlier than that so I said I would handle it at home.

After we were home I called Chase and explained the whole thing. The rep on the phone was very helpful and she saw that DCL took out $200 and then $101 right after that on the 29th. I said my final invoice only shows the $200 as being applied. The $101 was taken from my card but not applied to my account. He got lost in Neverland somewhere.

Chase rep told me to wait until the final DCL onboard charges posted to my account and see if the final balance dropped by $101. If it didn't call back and they will contact DCL. I have to call Chase tonight and hopefully get my $101 back. Chase rep said it looks good for me to get it back.

I know a partial amount could be applied and the whole amount did not have to come off the rewards card at one time. Something happened when the first GS CM swiped the rewards card.

MJ
We had an issue on our EBTA this year. We had over $1400 on our rewards card. They applied all of it to our account. We ended up not using it all, but we were going to be on the first Med, so we wanted to use the rest on that. Unfortunately, it took over a week for the unused portion (about $248) to post back to our card. It didn't post back to our rewards card until after we were off the Magic and the Med. It was such a bummer as we spent a fortune on the boat on the Med cruise. So I did get my $248 back on the rewards card, but not until after the cruises.

Oh, and at Guest Services they told me that I'd be able to apply the $248 to my visa bill since it was for a Disney charge. But it turns out that isn't true. I couldn't apply any of it to my bill.

So be careful with those dollars!

As a mater of point, we don't pay for a credit card. Made the exception for the Disney Visa - we spend enough on Disney, Gas, Groceries and Restaurants (double point categories) to absorb the fee and still come out ahead - so we upgraded to the Premier Card. We just used almost 900 points to pay for airplane tickets. Now its time to start building those points back up again.

Sounds like us, we upgraded to the Premier card, at the beginning of last year to take advantage of Disney's initial special promotion. We used $700 on this past January's cruise, $250 for our June cruise & we'll have another $250 for our NYE cruise. Reward $s add up as noted above plus throw in charging DDs college tuition :scared1:, room & board and the bucks really jump. Plus with Disney's summer promotion I charged enough to get the extra 50 reward $s which covered the annual fee. :)

Woo woo! I solved my problem. My honey gave me the go-ahead to upgrade to premier so I called them, they said sure but primary card holder has to call. It dawned on me that none of those cards benefit my credit standing! So I asked him about opening premier on my own and he said 'good idea, you need some more credit history.' So now I get the full $200 for opening my own up and they gave me a much smaller limit (which is perfect since I don't want a big balance, I just want it for revolving points and gas and groceries etc.) And then we have the non premier if needed for bigger purchases and to have around. So I'm super stoked to have one for lil oh me!!! I get the $200 (net down to $150 when u cancel out $50 fee but still better than the $0 net of upgrading the old one) and get my 2%!! And credit history!

I are so happy!

Woo woo! I solved my problem. My honey gave me the go-ahead to upgrade to premier so I called them, they said sure but primary card holder has to call. It dawned on me that none of those cards benefit my credit standing! So I asked him about opening premier on my own and he said 'good idea, you need some more credit history.' So now I get the full $200 for opening my own up and they gave me a much smaller limit (which is perfect since I don't want a big balance, I just want it for revolving points and gas and groceries etc.) And then we have the non premier if needed for bigger purchases and to have around. So I'm super stoked to have one for lil oh me!!! I get the $200 (net down to $150 when u cancel out $50 fee but still better than the $0 net of upgrading the old one) and get my 2%!! And credit history! I are so happy!

Any idea if you can apply for the premier if you already have the regular? Or will they only let you have one? Also, how do they know if you are buying groceries? I buy a few groceries at Target, such as cereals, milk, canned foods, etc.

Thank you

Any idea if you can apply for the premier if you already have the regular? Or will they only let you have one? Also, how do they know if you are buying groceries? I buy a few groceries at Target, such as cereals, milk, canned foods, etc. Thank you
They upgrade our regular into a premiere...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter