• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maximizing OBC when rebooking during cruise

malonefamily

Vlogging magical family adventures in Central FL
I realize this topic comes up from time to time, but I'm still confused.

We're on next week's Alaskan cruise :banana: and intend to book a Mexican Riviera cruise for next year while we're aboard, to get the 10% savings. How do we name a travel agency and get the highest possible on board credit? For our first cruise it was all arranged through DVC (as an incentive for the timeshare purchase), and for this Alaskan cruise we just booked directly through the website during the (very brief) kids sail free promotion. So we have no experience with travel agents...

It will be a family of 4 on a 7 night cruise, and we will probably book a category 5 or 6 room.

When you book your cruise onboard you will tell them that you want XYZ travel agency to be the agent of record - make sure you get a confirmation that shows this.

Then when you get home contact the TA and give them the confirmation number and they should be able to handle it from there on.

When you book your cruise onboard you will tell them that you want XYZ travel agency to be the agent of record - make sure you get a confirmation that shows this.

Then when you get home contact the TA and give them the confirmation number and they should be able to handle it from there on.

I see you posted how to do this - are you a travel agent and if so, is it possible to name you through Dreams Unlimited and have you take care of it from there after and get OBC's? Just curious! THanks!

[emphasis added]

We just booked onboard and our written quote request form included DU as our travel agent. However, we asked for the confirmation to be e-mailed to us and when it finally arrived, it did not include DU as our travel agent. The notes from the onbaord booking agent actually said that we declined a travel agent.

DCL did make it right when we faxed them a copy of the onboard booking quote with the travel agent named, but if we had asked for a written confirmation when we booked, we could have caught the error much sooner and with cleared it up with less fuss. -- Suzanne

Thanks Trekker. So, I could tell them I prefer to do business with, say Dreams Unlimited (to support them for supporting the DISboards), and then get a $100 OBC just for using the agency? And DCL also gives an OBC as an incentive for rebooking while onboard right? I would love to have $200-$300 OBC to help out with that bar tab in Mexico next year. ;)

Are there any disadvantages to this? For example, can I still do my own Palo reservations like any other Silver level Castaway Club member? Or does the travel agent need to handle everything now?

My last 2 on board bookings (different cruises) had to be claimed by my TA after the fact ,since the person on the ship said they did but didn't. So make sure you contact the TA when you get home to make sure.

You always need to confirm with your TA when you return. I'm a TA and sometimes the TA information does not always get passed along.

Yes, be very certain if you are asking for a travel agent to be listed on the reservation that the DCL onboard booking agent does this for you. You can discuss in advance of your cruise any onboard offer your preferred agent may have, so that you know in advance what you will receive.
DCL has some great onboard agents, and most will get the agency listed with no issues, but there have been exceptions to that, especially with the addition of the 3rd ship and having to get additional people trained to do the onboard rebookings.

Be sure to check with your travel agent when you return to make sure they received a copy of the booking as well. I have seen many times when the agency did not get listed on the reservation as it should have been and the travel agent did not know about the booking.

Sue Ellen

If you want to book onboard for a 5 night Bahamas 2012 Cruise on The Dream and you want to use Dreams Unlimited..According to www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com, the credit from DU is $150 per stateroom for say a Category 4....

Does DVC give an additional $100 onboard credit or how much additional?

Much thanks!:goodvibes:goodvibes

OK not meaning to hijack but have a similar related question:

If I book onboard a dummy reservation in hope that we can switch to a different reservation, does the DCL & Dreams OBC change when we change our reservation? Should be try to book a similar length cruise to ensure that OBC stays the same? For example, if we wanted to eventually change to a 7+ night cruise in 2013 that was yet to be available to book should we book a 7+ night cruise in 2012 in order to ensure we get the OBC that is entitled for the cruise or when we change will DCL/Dreams be able to sort out the difference in OBC?

And an additional question: say I get an OBB reservation (w/o naming a travel agent) and get home and want to change the category of the reservation -- from say a 6A to an 11A? If I do this online by clicking the "modify" button on the reservation through the DCL site, will it automatically figure the 10% discount into the new amount?

I see you posted how to do this - are you a travel agent and if so, is it possible to name you through Dreams Unlimited and have you take care of it from there after and get OBC's? Just curious! THanks!

Yes I am an agent with Dreams Unlimited Travel. We do have a cruise concierge team that handles most cruises. You can name Dreams as your agent when booking onboard and contact us when you return so we can verify the booking.

Thanks Trekker. So, I could tell them I prefer to do business with, say Dreams Unlimited (to support them for supporting the DISboards), and then get a $100 OBC just for using the agency? And DCL also gives an OBC as an incentive for rebooking while onboard right? I would love to have $200-$300 OBC to help out with that bar tab in Mexico next year.

If I understand the question right you are asking if you would get an OBC both from Dreams and DCL and the answer is yes. The amount of the OBC varies based on the length of the cruise and the category of room booked.

If you want to book onboard for a 5 night Bahamas 2012 Cruise on The Dream and you want to use Dreams Unlimited..According to www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com, the credit from DU is $150 per stateroom for say a Category 4....

Does DVC give an additional $100 onboard credit or how much additional?

I'm assuming you mean DCL and not DVC - I'm not sure of anything when it comes to DVC. I think the answer above regarding getting OBCs from both DCL and Dreams answerw this one.

So, $150 for 5 night Dream cruise 2012 through DU and $100 for DCL credit????

Thanks!:goodvibes

So, $150 for 5 night Dream cruise 2012 through DU and $100 for DCL credit????

Thanks!:goodvibes

I justed want to be sure this is clear, OBC amounts from Dreams unlimited are based on sail date and category and they do change - so you are only promised a certaim amount at the time you book. Anything you see now is valid now if you book, but can change so be sure you verify the amount at time of booking.

First, we'll see if we like our 4 night Dream cruise! HOPE SO!:cool1:

If we do, then we'll do onboard booking for summer, 2012...will do the 5 night double dip dream cruise! Can't wait to get to CC!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thanks for the onboard booking credit info!:thumbsup2

Are there any disadvantages to this? For example, can I still do my own Palo reservations like any other Silver level Castaway Club member? Or does the travel agent need to handle everything now?

You can only modify your own reservation or make palo, shore excursions etc once you have paid for your cruise in full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter