Maui

Before you assume they were "laughing" the icons for a laugh Also show tears - keep in mind a LOT of people assume that is a tearful icon.
This one?
I guess I could see that mistake once or twice, but not very often. BUT most times people are laughing at the post, not the subject matter, especially climate deniers, or other conspiracy theorists who want to scoff at the idea, because their opinion differs.

Attachments

• Dis-icon.png
    Dis-icon.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 16
So what do you think the cause is/was?
I have no idea. I don’t think it’s been determined, I’m pretty sure the climate zealots will use another natural disaster to promote their global warming narrative. Anyone that questions that narrative has a cold black heart.
I’m in my 50’s I’ve seen numerous natural disasters I’ve lived through a few of them and yet somehow it’s all different now? Yeah Ok I grew up up in Southern California evacuated three times due to a fires and lost part of our property that burned down in 1980, Earthquakes, flooding, fires, hurricanes, droughts, heat domes, freezing temps, none of this is new. It’s been going since the beginning of time.

I have no idea. I don’t think it’s been determined, I’m pretty sure the climate zealots will use another natural disaster to promote their global warming narrative. Anyone that questions that narrative has a cold black heart.
I’m in my 50’s I’ve seen numerous natural disasters I’ve lived through a few of them and yet somehow it’s all different now? Yeah Ok I grew up up in Southern California evacuated three times due to a fires and lost part of our property that burned down in 1980, Earthquakes, flooding, fires, hurricanes, droughts, heat domes, freezing temps, none of this is new. It’s been going since the beginning of time.
So i guess the question is do you think weather had anything to do with the fire (overall, the spread, etc), or are you only concerned with the actual spark that "started" it?
Sparks happen all the time (and they start fires that get put out pretty quickly), but its the weather that makes them extreme. and i think most people agree that weather is a climate factor. Not any agenda, just weather.

This one?
I guess I could see that mistake once or twice, but not very often. BUT most times people are laughing at the post, not the subject matter, especially climate deniers, or other conspiracy theorists who want to scoff at the idea, because their opinion differs.
My cell (android) does not show any words with the ICONS, the term HAHA only turns up when I'm on disboards with my computer ... so I'm just saying that ICON "might" be mistaken for tears or laughing on a small screen. Perhaps this time they meant the haha, but if you see that in the future (used inappropriately), know it can be an honest mistake too.

Last edited:
My cell (android) does not show any words with the ICONS, the term HAHA only turns up when I'm on disboards with my computer ... so I just saying that ICON "might" be mistaken for tears or laughing on a small screen.

It's not....some of us know each other and have tangled over this subject before. That poster doesn't believe in climate change....so when it came up as a contributing factor, it was laughed off.

It's not....some of us know each other and have tangled over this subject before. That poster doesn't believe in climate change....so when it came up as a contributing factor, it was laughed off.
No question it was "laughing," and they know that it's a "laughing" emoji. They use it often.

1691876393573.png

This is all so very, very sad. I loved Lahaina, and can't believe it's gone. So terrifying for those that lived there.

Someone mentioned the fire department earlier. On one of our trips to Hawaii we watched a helicopter working a fire. I don't even remember which island, but it was on the outskirts of one of the towns. The ocean was to our left and the fire was on our right, behind a housing area at the edge of the hills. The helicopter would fly to the water and fill it's bucket with water, then cross the road we were on and fly over to the fire to dump the water. We parked and watched it for awhile. Not living near any large bodies of water, I had never seen anything like that.

Unfortunately, I read that they were unable to use the helicopters for this fire due to the high winds.

This is all so very, very sad. I loved Lahaina, and can't believe it's gone. So terrifying for those that lived there.

Someone mentioned the fire department earlier. On one of our trips to Hawaii we watched a helicopter working a fire. I don't even remember which island, but it was on the outskirts of one of the towns. The ocean was to our left and the fire was on our right, behind a housing area at the edge of the hills. The helicopter would fly to the water and fill it's bucket with water, then cross the road we were on and fly over to the fire to dump the water. We parked and watched it for awhile. Not living near any large bodies of water, I had never seen anything like that.

Unfortunately, I read that they were unable to use the helicopters for this fire due to the high winds.

Yes, I'd read they couldn't use helicopters or planes due to the wind. I also read that they had issues with the emergency sirens and text messages....people got them too late.

It's all so sad. I saw a woman on the news who thought she had enough time to get her four cats, who were hiding. As she was trying to find them she saw sparks coming in through her A/C unit, she tried harder to find the cats but then her entire front room was on fire. She got out through the back, saw a male friend of hers and he led her to jump in the ocean. His entire arm and shoulder were badly burned. They were in the ocean...which was very rough and high tide....for about 7-8 hours until help could come. So many people and pets were lost in this disaster....all so sad.

It is almost unbelievable, just watching the footage reminds me of Paradise, CA when we had that fire a few years back, the devastation is unreal.
I hadn't been to Maui in about 10+ years, but it was beautiful, & will be again, just different. (much like Paradise)

The stats showed more than 12,000 living in Lahaina. We spent about a single day (didn't have much time) on Maui and that involved the peak of Haleakala, check in at our hotel in Wailea, and dinner in Lahaina. Being tourists, we didn't exactly pass by too many residential areas, but it certainly sounds like there was a substantial residential part of Lahaina with that many people.

There's certainly no lack of land on Maui for any kind of new housing. Apparently part of the issue were the dry grasses growing wild on former agricultural land. I would think that with these fires, there might be a lot of remediation as well as the possibility of replacement housing being built on some of that former agricultural land.
The problem is that while there is plenty of land to build new houses on, the Hawaiian Islands are made from volcanic lava. It is difficult to build in new areas and very expensive.

Here in CO, we had the Marshall fire in Dec. 2021 destroy 1,000 homes and another handful of businesses. People who lost their houses found out that because the housing market went crazy they were underinsured. Those who weren't underinsured had to fight with their insurance company.

One couple told the investigative reporter that their insurance company requested receipts of any item on their list that was destroyed. The lady she was asked, "even underwear?" and was told yes. Like who keeps receipts from their socks and underwear? To add to their frustration, items like clothing were devalued because they were more than a few months old and worn.

Because of all the red tape, only around 500 houses have been cleared to be rebuilt. Of those 500, around 200 have been either completely rebuilt or are in progress.

Those in Maui are going to find it even more difficult to rebuild because they are limited to where they can build, and it will be crazy expensive. Everything has to be shipped in which makes it even worse.

The problem is that while there is plenty of land to build new houses on, the Hawaiian Islands are made from volcanic lava. It is difficult to build in new areas and very expensive.

Here in CO, we had the Marshall fire in Dec. 2021 destroy 1,000 homes and another handful of businesses. People who lost their houses found out that because the housing market went crazy they were underinsured. Those who weren't underinsured had to fight with their insurance company.

One couple told the investigative reporter that their insurance company requested receipts of any item on their list that was destroyed. The lady she was asked, "even underwear?" and was told yes. Like who keeps receipts from their socks and underwear? To add to their frustration, items like clothing were devalued because they were more than a few months old and worn.

Because of all the red tape, only around 500 houses have been cleared to be rebuilt. Of those 500, around 200 have been either completely rebuilt or are in progress.

Those in Maui are going to find it even more difficult to rebuild because they are limited to where they can build, and it will be crazy expensive. Everything has to be shipped in which makes it even worse.

I would think it's going to take a a very long time to rebuild. I believe Paradise California has rebuilt only 10% of the structures lost there and it was five years ago....on the mainland. I would imagine that there aren't nearly enough contractors or equipment to take on so many projects and if they move to the island temporarily it would only lead to more of a housing shortage.

The Lahaina fire is now the deadliest wildfire for the entire United States in the last 100 years. But...the climate change denialists would say...."uh...we've had fires my whole life." Yes we have, but not like this one. Lots of denialism out there on so many topics.....it's tough to keep up.

As someone who lives in a state prone to natural disasters, the survivors of this fire have been in my thoughts since the first reports came out. The physical and emotional devastation that they are experiencing right now can be overwhelming. I hope they are able to resolve insurance issues quickly to begin rebuilding. I hope they are able to get the supplies they need since they are in a remote location. I also hope those who have lost family or friends, and those who have physical injuries, get the support and assistance they need to put their lives back together. The whole situation makes me so sad. :sad1:

It's hard to know what to do. We are scheduled to go next month. So far, our thinking is to make the trip, if the hotel is welcoming guests and if the airline is bringing in tourists. We do want to support the tourist industry there.
My gut feeling is that tourism will be discouraged and hotels will be utilized to house those who have lost their homes. We will be flexible.

It's heartbreaking. We spent our honeymoon on Kaanapali Beach 44 years ago and have been back many times.
They’re going to have to find a balance. Is your trip to Wailea or Kihei area by chance? Flyer talk reports are those areas are business as usual and quite busy currently, although getting supplies at the big box stores by the airport is somewhat harder than usual.

It’s hard to know what to do. They are going to be searching for balance between rebuilding and tourism for some time. Authorities did back track on their stay away from Maui screams as they are now reminding people only West Maui is closed and the rest of the island is open for business. Link However, I would be more concerned with the timelines emerging showing Maui’s emergency management was crap in handling this. AP had a timeline out and while incredibly messy what is starting to emerge is governmental failures on multiple levels- potentially all the way down to the fire department if the source turns out to be the contained morning fire Link I find the idea of their emergency management unable to deal with a disaster to be very disconcerting. I would want to see what went wrong and how they’re gonna not do that again before I would visit that island.
My daughter and soninlaw have had a trip booked for a year for their 25th anniversary. It's a split stay between Kaui and Maui. I believe all Island trips will be cancelled so those who lived on Maui can have places to stay. I heard that Honolulu has already cancelled all tourist reservations. I think it's sadly going to be a long, long time before it is back to "normal".
Quit listening or reading whatever source you’re getting that stuff from as it’s definitely not true.

I would think it's going to take a a very long time to rebuild. I believe Paradise California has rebuilt only 10% of the structures lost there and it was five years ago....on the mainland. I would imagine that there aren't nearly enough contractors or equipment to take on so many projects and if they move to the island temporarily it would only lead to more of a housing shortage.

The Lahaina fire is now the deadliest wildfire for the entire United States in the last 100 years. But...the climate change denialists would say...."uh...we've had fires my whole life." Yes we have, but not like this one. Lots of denialism out there on so many topics.....it's tough to keep up.
Ok let me follow the twisted logic. This is the deadliest fire in 10 years because of climate change? Do you think maybe it’s the deadliest because it happened to hit in a populated area? You are really reaching..

Is the world still going to end I 12 years or are we down to like 8 now? I can’t keep up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter