matterhorn bobsleds

Harmony

DIS Veteran
Does this ride have fastpass?

Does it have any "dips?" Can a 10y/o that isn't into really into thrill rides ride it? (this same 10y/o LOVES Mission Space...go figure!) LOL

This ride does not have fastpasses. Sadly. :( The reson it does not is because you can enter from only two points and the line "que" area wraps around the mountain. The only types of dips that I can remember are just coming down the mountain since you have to come back down. I think that your 10 y/o will like the ride. MY advice is to go on it early in the morning because tippically you will see lines of more then 45 mins long. Also take the right side of the mountain there is two different rides and from what I can remember the left side is more wild.

It has small dips but not big hills. My daughter rode it when she was 2 1/2 and her only complaint was "the snowman dude" as we call him, so from that point on we started yelling back at him as we went by.

My daughter hates the feeling you get in your stomach when you go down hills, she equates that with having to go to the bathroom, so when she rides other roller coasters with bigger dips she gets off the ride and runs for the bathroom. She never does on this one.

It has a 35 inch height limit on it. It used to have no limit on it at all. My friend's son rode it when he was 9 months old. Sometime between when he rode it, and when my daughter was born, they changed it to having an age limit of 3 years old. In 2000 they replaced the tracks and when they opened it up for the summer they changed that and gadgets go coaster from an age limit of 3 to a height limit of 35 inches. When we noticed the sign we decided to see how close she was to the limit. Since we had her measured a month before at the dr and she was about 32 inches we never thought she would actually make it on the ride. We walked up and the CM said you're fine. So we got in line, back up the where the line splits in two and she was measured again, still okay. Get to the end of the line and measured again, still okay. Get on the ride and the CM in the booth called down and asked her to be measured again. They had to stop the car so she could get up and stand so they could measure her. He gave his agreement, she got on and rode the ride, and has been riding it ever since.

At age 3 1/2 she rode every ride that had a height limit of 42 inches or lower. At age 7 she has been on everything except maliboomer. She has not been on Tower of Terror at DL, but she did ride it in WDW when she was 3 (she insisted on riding it and while she doesn't want to ride again, she was fine on the ride).

She rode ToT at age 3!!!!! Oh my...what an adventurous little girl! LOL

I barely rode it last year! *shamefaced* ;)

No big drops...just small dips. I would do it during the day so that it's not as dark...that way if your child likes it during the day you can do it at night too!

first time i went to DL i was 10 and scared of my own shadow, but i loved the matterhorn. It's bouncy but that's about it. Your stomach never does that up thing at the drops, they're all very small dips. Your kid will love it.

If you get a chance, first ride Matterhorn Bobsleds during the day, then ride it at night.

Since you mention Mission Space I assume you are a WDW regular. I think Matterhorn is very similar to WDW's Space Mountain. Very similar vehicles except unlike Space Mtn at WDW, Matterhorn vehicles allow two people to ride together in the same car. You have separate seatbelts but your ten your old will literally be sitting right in front of you. You can have your arms around him/her the whole time. That helps make a child feel more secure to be basically held by mom or dad during the ride. Its a lot of fun, my daughter would ride that long before she felt comfortable riding other coaster type rides. Matterhorn is very jerky however and not a smooth ride, again much like WDW's Space Mountain.

If you have been on space mountain in WDW when they had the old cars, they were the same as the matterhorn cars.

There are no large drops on this ride, but there are places where it is quite dark. A few years ago, my then 7 yr old niece didn't like it because it was too dark. She loves it now. There are quite a few turns on the ride, and if you're lucky they will release the bobsleds on both sides of the tracks at nearly the same time. The track parallel each other at certain spots and it seems like a 'race'. They don't do this very much anymore, but it is fun when they do.

We were at Disneyland yesterday (Sunday) and though the park was very crowded, we practically walked up to the Matterhorn bobsleds. There was maybe a 10 min. wait. I have also been in the park when the line was around the mountain, so go figure. I hope you will be as lucky!! Enjoy your trip!

Can I barge in on this thread to ask whether the bobsleds can cope with pooh sized people too? I'm VERY pooh sized (size 24) so I was worried whterh I'd be able to ride? Any help would be great, thanks :sunny:

I have ridden every ride at DL/DCA except maliboomer, as that just isn't my thing. I haven't had a problem on any ride. However siting with somone other than a child on Gadgets go coaster, and Astro Orbiter can get a bit tight. I generally prefer to sit alone on those rides. On Matterhorn we have had 2 pooh sized people sit together in the same seat, though it's not the most comfortable in the world. The person in the back, ends up having their legs spread open really wide and jammed into the sides, and the person in front ends up almost sitting on the floor.

However I have never had them deny a request for two seperate seats, and usually they just give you enough seats to sit one to a seat if those in the party look rather large. Or they will ask your preference. Now if you have 2 thin people and a long line, they will of course prefer they ride together.

The right side of the matterhorn is tamer than the left side, so for a first ride you guys should go on that side. The track goes around the outside of the mountain so the turns are softer, the left sided track goes more on the inside so the turns are sharper.
Yes, i've seen many pooh sized people ride the matterhorn - my family members included. Just as for individual seats. :)

Thanks everso much for the info! :thumbsup2 It's 10 years since I last went to DLR and not only have I put on quite a lot of weight since then but I was too much of a coward to ride the bobsleds then! :blush:

I know my WDW rides and have never had a porblem fitting on any of them but some of the rides at the parks here in the UK are just too tight a fit! :sad2:

My DH is tall and fairly slim so he can go on with my DD (who'll be 6 on our trip) and I'll go on my own. This is what we do on most of the rides with a lap bar (eg BTMRR etc) as DD gets waaaay to much 'hang time' when the bar stops at my tummy!!!!!! :lmao: ;)

Thanks again! :)

I personally love riding with people who are bigger than me because the lap bar stops higher up, makes things way more intersting when you leave your seat on thunder mountain ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter