Matt Ouimet named president of Cedar Fair

ImTooExcitedToSleep

DIS Veteran
Staff member
Former DLR and DCL president Matt Ouimet is taking over at Cedar Fair according to reports this morning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=13884664
A former Disney executive is taking over the reins of the nation's third-largest amusement park chain.

Sandusky, Ohio-based Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. announced Monday that Matthew Ouimet (WEE'-meht) will take over for Richard Kinzel who is retiring as president and chief executive at the end of the year.

Investors who have been unhappy with the company's performance forced Kinzel to give up his spot as board chairman in January.

Ouimet spent 17 years with the Walt Disney Co. During that time, he was president of the Disney Cruise Line and the Disneyland Resort.

He'll take over as president immediately before becoming CEO early next year.

Cedar Fair operates 18 amusement and water parks, including Cedar Point and Kings Island in Ohio and Knott's Berry Farm near Los Angeles.

I'm now convinced that Matt Ouimet is the executive equivalent of a "house flipper". If he boosts this up the way he did for DLR and DCL, the guy must love a challenge. :laughing:

This is interesting. I think he was wonderful at the DLR, and was sad to see him go. We need more Matt Ouimets at our parks, esp. Disney.

This is interesting. I think he was wonderful at the DLR, and was sad to see him go. We need more Matt Ouimets at our parks, esp. Disney.

This is great to hear. Worlds of Fun is my local amusement park, and it has been allowed to mostly languish over the last few years (pretty much since Cedar Fair was almost sold). While we did see a nice upgrade to the children's area this year, we haven't had a new or majorly refurbished attraction for those above 3 1/2 feet tall since 2009. Reading about Ouimet's background, I'm hopeful that he will make strides in park updates/maintenance and also in finding ways to make these parks multi-day destinations. We recently tried to spend a weekend out at Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun, and hotel options near the park are extremely limited and not particularly comfortable or inviting places to stay.

Considering I live 20 min from Kings Island and 3 hrs from Cedar Point this is AWESOME news!!!

That also includes Canada's Wonderland which upon our first five minutes in the park my son turned to me and said, can we go to Disneyworld now?

Great news for us in the PA Ohio area. Cedar Point is the roller coaster capital of the US. Mecca for coaster junkies.

Great news for us in the PA Ohio area. Cedar Point is the roller coaster capital of the US. Mecca for coaster junkies.

I agree it's great news for this area, but I still wish he was still with Disney or would go back to Disney. I go to WDW alot more than I go to Cedar Point/Kings Island.

That is kinda exciting. I haven't been to CP in 11 years. We use to go several times a summer back when I was young and spry. Ha.... I'm turning 40 this year and feeling it. My DD9 was complaining that we have never been to CP and all her friends have but then I reminded her that she has been to Disney 6 times and none of her friends have. lol

Last time I was at CP it was awful.... half naked and drunk people with nasty shirts and it was real dirty so I said that I was pretty much done with it but maybe now things will get better. They really do have some great rides its just the asthetics and service that really lack. Here's hoping.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter