Massachusetts . . . need some info

Mickey's sunshine

<font color=darkgreen>Had a blast at MGM's Super S
I will be traveling to MA next month and am looking for some fun things to do.

I know there is Six Flags and The Yankee Candle Factory. What else is there? I am looking forward to seeing the Fall Foilage.

I have never really seen any seasons - FL girl here - so I am excited.

Have anyone done the Bellow Falls train ride in VT?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Well it's a pretty big state (relatively speaking :), where are you planning to stay? Flying into Boston? The leaves will be changing everywhere, what else do you want to do?

My 2 cents, Six Flags is fun and all, but nothing above/beyond any other amusment park. If your time is limited, I'd spend more time on New England activities than just that. (FYI it's also only open weekends in Oct.)

If you're flying into Boston, there is a plenty for all sorts of interest there. The Freedom Trail is a free walking path (there's literally a line along the sidewalk) highlighting some of Boston's history.

Sturbridge Village is a bit south along the CT border- a neat living history museum of the early US.

If you want to head up into the mountains, the White Mtns of New Hampshire are a couple hours north of Boston. In later Oct, you might be too late for foliage, but around Columbus weekend, it will be peak leaf peeping time there.

I will be traveling to MA next month and am looking for some fun things to do.

I know there is Six Flags and The Yankee Candle Factory. What else is there? I am looking forward to seeing the Fall Foilage.

I have never really seen any seasons - FL girl here - so I am excited.

Have anyone done the Bellow Falls train ride in VT?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

I haven't done the train ride, but you'll definitely see some great fall color anywhere, the prettiest drives probably being toward the west in the hills. It's already starting to show just a little this year, and I think the weather has been right for bright hues.

I liked both of the other places you mentioned. (Though I haven't been to Yankee Candle in quite a while, but I don't expect it has changed too much.)

You'll also want to spend some time in Boston, of course. As you're from far away, I'd do the Freedom Trail or a trolley tour to see the historical stuff. Then definitely our art museum (MFA) if you enjoy them. If you're traveling with kids, there is a great children's museum as well, and an aquarium. A hidden gem is the Mapparium - a huge glass globe you walk into.

If you have a sports fan with you, the Basketball Hall of fame is not far from Six Flags. (Speaking of Six Flags, check their website for hours of you decide to go - I'm pretty sure it will be "off season" by then, but I think they are open some days in October. ETA - see above - Better details got posted after I started typing but before I finished.)

Salem is fun if you like the witch stuff, and there are lots of literary places - Walden, Concord, etc. There's Plymouth, too, of course, which is another neat experience on the history side.

A show up here called "Chronicle" just put out a "1000 Great Places in Massachusetts" episode. I bet you can find the list, if not even the video, on line, to give you other great ideas.

during first week of October on the Northshore there are a lot of fun activities. Haunted Happenings is just getting underway in Salem. You can visit the Salem Witch Museum, the House of the Seven Gables, the Peabody-Essex Museum, great food and lots of fun.

The Topsfield Fair- the countries oldest agricultural fair. Lots of crafts, local animals, demonstrations, fair food and entertainment. Plus, the whole cheesy fair rides and games.

Head of the Charles Regatta is usually on Columbus Day Weekend. Very New England and lots of fun.
I think the King Richards Fair should also be going on, but this is on the Southshore. The cranberry festival ? Wareham.

sorry, I should have been more exact on dates and locations.

I will be flying into Hartford, CT and will be in the Southampton area (western) Mass. I will be there from Oct 8-17

I would love to get into as many states as I can (we have planned to go into VT) and I would like to get into NY just to say I have been to NY. lol

Haven't had a chance to give this a try, but, wow it looks like so much fun. It is a zip line that goes through the area. web site is http://www.catamountski.com/

I agree with a previous poster, The Six Flags in Agawam is average to below average. The people that frequent it are um, er, kinda trashy

The Big E is http://www.thebige.com/fair/index.asp happening mid to end of Sept. It is amazing!!! We try to go every few years. Try not to go on a weekend, as it is mobbed.

Boston, do some serious research before you go there. The Freedom Trail is a cool walking tour of Boston. The Northend has amazing Italian food. FYI Modern Bakery has much nicer people than the famous Mike's Bakery. Quality is about the same as is the price line is usually about 1/2.

You can come to my house and start raking the lawn! I will always welcome the help! The view is okay, and we have tons of the pretty maples all around. :woohoo:

I think the big E can be fun if you've never been to a big fair. But if your going to the big E your also close enough to hit Boston and Salem maybe even some of the southern shore. Considering the time of year your visiting I think Salem is definitely worth visiting. You could site see in Salem and visit the Peabody Essex Museum. Or do a half day in Salem and go to Rockport depending on the weather. If you choose to go south I'd visit Plymouth plantation and you could visit the whaling museum in New Bedford. If your coming up 84 you could visit the Old Sturbridge Village. I recommend checking out the Mass Tourist site. Massachusetts has a lot to offer and you will definitely be able to peep leaves wherever you go.

Yes, you picked the right time for leaf peeping.

The basketball hall of fame and the Dr. Seuss Museum are in Springfield, Mass. Northampton has many good restaurants, of nearly all types, and lots of boutiques, bookstores, etc. Amherst has the Emily Dickinson homestead, and more restaurants.

FYI Modern Bakery has much nicer people than the famous Mike's Bakery. Quality is about the same as is the price line is usually about 1/2.

Mike's has better cannoli's. ;)

OP-I'm in Clearwater so if you go to Mike's bring me back some. It's hard to find good ones down here. :rotfl::rotfl:

I would skip Six Flags! If you can, it would be a lovely time to do some apple picking! There are a lot of places to do this and it is so fun! Drink some hot apple cider and pick some apples! If you are interested in history at all, it might be worth the trip to Salem Ma to see the Witch Museum and take some tours etc, how old are your children? It is a long drive from Western ma (about 2 hours) but worth it if you are into the history aspect or going to be in Boston and looking for something to do!

I highly recommend apple picking and visiting Yankee Candle in S Deerfield if you like candles!

sorry, I should have been more exact on dates and locations.

I will be flying into Hartford, CT and will be in the Southampton area (western) Mass. I will be there from Oct 8-17

I would love to get into as many states as I can (we have planned to go into VT) and I would like to get into NY just to say I have been to NY. lol

I also would skip Six Flags.

Yankee Candle in S. Deerfield ........is you do this you could continue north a bit to rt 2 and head west ( the mohawk trail) great leaf peeping and some interesting stops along the way, such as Shelburne Falls and if you keep heading west Mt. Greylock.
or from Deerfield a bit north is Northfield mountain rec area, ( in the town of Northfield).... and they do connecticut river boat tours, that would be nice during leaf season.
Northhampton......lots of cool shops and good restaurants ( Spaghetti Freddys is one of our favs) great main st town to walk
Bellows Falls VT.......cute town, been there but did not ride the train if you do go there and are up for a beautiful orchard, just south of Bellows Falls across the river into New Hampshire in the town of Walpole check out Alyson's Orchard. beautiful spot and great apple picking.

I also second the suggestion to head east and check out Salem. They start haunted happenings at the start of October, so its like halloween town for the whole month. we love going there!

I'm in Western Ma. :)- I agree that you can skip Six Flags, but the Big E is a great regional fair. When you are up by Yankee Candle stop by Old Deerfield, a few miles up the way-very picturesque, especially in the fall. Check out the Magic Wings butterfly place on Rte. 5 as well. On your way out of Deerfield go up to the summit of Mt. Sugarloaf. There is a great view, and during foliage season you'll get some awesome pictures.
If you go east stop at Sturbridge Village, and Salem Ma. Boston is at least a full day on it's own.

Have fun!

thanks everyone, we are not doing Six Flags . . . I had no real interest when I read the description.

I am going up there by myself to visit my 5 year old niece and her mother. I am really looking forward to it.

phorsenuf - I will try to remember that if we make it to Mike's. :)

Do try to make it to the flagship Yankee Candle store in Deerfield. That's where I go when I need my WDW fix as they know how to do things right, just like Disney! From Deerfield, if you go north for about 15 miles, you'll be able to hit both Vermont and New Hampshire. Feel free to travel on our back roads, like Routes 5 & 10, and you'll see rural New England at it's best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter