Mary Poppins Coming To Broadway

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
It seems that my wish has finally been answered. I have long posted how I felt about Mary Poppins being a natural fit for great white way. With all of it's catchy songs and dance numbers, this story, more than any other Disney adaptation, was tailor made for the stage.

Here's the progress, as reported by the NY Times:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Schumacher, the president of Disney Theatrical and the studio's animated film division, and Cameron Mackintosh, the impresario's impresario, have been meeting over the last year to iron out details of a potentially superlucrative project, "Mary Poppins" as a Broadway musical.

Why are the two considering teaming up? Well, besides enormous respect, love and trust, they also need each other. Disney holds the rights to the songs from the 1964 film starring Julie Andrews and Dick VanDyke, with the worst Cockney accent in history. Mr. Mackintosh, however, who did a few little shows like "Cats" and "Les Misérables," has the rights to the original P. L.Travers story. Neither, in other words, could move forward without the other.

So they are going ahead together. Both are mulling options for a creative team, with an eye toward the 2004-05 season at the earliest. No firmer details are available, except that "Mary Poppins" will land in London before packing her umbrella for Broadway.

That is wonderful news.
DW and may have to take our first trip to "The Great White Way" to see this show. Now we can spend the next year or so debating who should play what role.
Here's one from left field, Pierce Bronson as Bert.:eek:
Seriously, it has the potential of being the next Lion King for Disney.

I also always thought that Mary Poppins was a natural fit for Broadway! I can't wait to see if Disney really pulls this off.

I put my vote in for Eric McCormack ("Will" of Will & Grace), who definitely does sing, and dance, and done Broadway musicals before!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter