Marvel name change

rag10576

Earning My Ears
Could Disney change Marvel to say Disneys Iron Man or disneys Xmen etc. Them what would happen

I felt a great disturbance in geekdom, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I know what you mean. Can you imagine if Uni had ro change the name to their attractions bto have the disney name on them?

Disney does not own Iron Man, Marvel Worldwide Inc. does and of course then they are owned by Marvel Entertainment which is owned by The Walt Disney Company.

I think it would require some major restructuring which would mean Marvel Worldwide Inc. (aka Marvel Comics) disappears and now its Disney Comics killing 50 years of branding. Like thats going to work. :goodvibes

I know what you mean. Can you imagine if Uni had ro change the name to their attractions bto have the disney name on them?

Probably require a renegotiation of the contract with Uni still holding all the cards.

Not knowing how the corporations are structured the short answer is anything is possible. That being said they could change Ironman to Mr. Fancy Pants. (You are welcome JoCo)

Not knowing how the corporations are structured the short answer is anything is possible. That being said they could change Ironman to Mr. Fancy Pants. (You are welcome JoCo)

ha-- mr. fancy pants.. haha. That would be a great movie!

I don't think this could ever happen. If I remember correctly when Disney announced the purchase of Marvel they said that this was a deal for ownership only, that Marvel would still exist and operate independently of Disney, and be able to stay creatively independent but would be able to take advantage of Disney's distribution and promotion channels.

Companies change their names all the time. I'm sure it's already worked into the contract in some manner. Chances are Marvel / Disney would have to reimburse all costs associated with the name change.

And it certainly wouldn't render the Marvel / USF contract null and void. Disney cannot simply argue that "you have a contract to use Marvel's Spider-Man, not Disney's Spider-Man." ;) It's ultimately the same character.

Disney acquired Marvel Entertainment in 2009 for $4 billion. A big part of what Disney was bought was the reputation and marketing value of the Marvel brand.

Lumping in Marvel with Disney and suspending the Marvel brand would damage both of these incredibly valuable, well-defined brands. These brands each represent a different market segment and each has a strong following. Sure, there's some overlap, but even for those of us who enjoy both, Marvel and Disney mean two different things.

If the reason for suggesting such a rebranding is the hope that it would somehow invalidate the Universal-Marvel agreement, I can only say it wouldn't. The agreement specifically licenses characters and families of characters. The ownership of Universal and Marvel have both changed, but the agreement is still in force.

Didn't Comast start to buy Universal in 2009. Before Harry Potter opened. That would have been the to negotiate for the Marvel rights, maybe even buy the theme parks. It wasn't, originally clear, if Comcast even wanted theme parks.

That time has passed.

Let's just say Marvel's name gets dropped and is changed to Disney. It would be interesting to see the Disney name inside Uni. Disney would not have added any Marvel to their own parks, but instead inserted themselves into Uni. Do I think it will happen? No, but it is interesting to think about.

Let's just say Marvel's name gets dropped and is changed to Disney. It would be interesting to see the Disney name inside Uni. Disney would not have added any Marvel to their own parks, but instead inserted themselves into Uni. Do I think it will happen? No, but it is interesting to think about.
In the very, very unlikely case that this actually happens, I would expect Universal to keep using the Marvel name. After all, Universal has a license to do so, and it would still be historically accurate and meaningful to identify the characters and situations using the Marvel brand.

On top of that, it's highly unlikely that Disney would want Universal to have a "Disney" section in a Universal park.

I think Disney would rather exploit the Marvel Brand rather than rebranding it. It's a powerful brand name, why remove it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter