• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriott's Cypress Harbour vs. Marriott's Harbour Lake

kagmypts

Mouseketeer
My family is heading to Disney at the end of May, and we have our lodging narrowed down to two places - Marriott's Cypress Harbour and Marriott's Harbour Lake. We will be traveling with 3 kids (ages 7.5, 6, and 2.5). We anticipate spending a few days at the WDW parks (we will have a car), but we also plan to spend some days at the hotel. Does anybody have any insight into either place or have any recommendations about which one may be better for us? Thank you!!!

We have stayed at both, but most recent has been Harbour Lake. As I remember it, Cypress Harbour's second bedroom had a queen/or double bed with a pull out couch that when open made the room VERY tight. Couldn't get to the closet. I don't remember the main pool as the one we used was nearer our condo and very basic.
We have stayed at Harbour Lake at least four times as our grandchildren now range from 9 to 3. Harbour Lake's second bedroom has two double beds. There are two different swimming areas and both are very nice. I think both pools are zero entry. I know the one with the pirate ship is. My grandchildren love the pirate pool. The slides on the ship are geared to the younger kids. The other pool is next to a water play area. there is also a larger slide into that pool, but you need to be older. You can easily walk to either pool. There may be another pool, but I'm not sure. We have stayed in the condo overlooking the pirate ship. I prefer to have the veranda facing away from I-4. Once we stayed overlooking the water play area and we got a lot of road noise.

We will definitely stay at Marriott's Harbour Lake again until the kids get much older.

The two resorts are across the street from one another, therefore driving distance and time to theme parks, restaurants, shopping, etc., isn't an issue in your choice. Marriott, in general, provides a great resort experience, extensive childrens' activities programs and resort amenities at all of their Orlando timeshare locations, so that shouldn't be a big deal either. However, Marriott offers some great childrens' water attractions in the form of a pirate/pirate ship theme at the Harbour Lake location - something that's unique to that resort amongst the Orlando Marriotts. I suspect that children of the ages of your two older kids would love that.

On the other hand, Harbour Lake was originally built as a Marriott sub-brand and the villa furnishings, comfort level and space aren't quite as nice as at the other Marriott's such as Cypress Harbour. Also, as one of the newest Orlando Marriott timeshare resort, Harbour Lake's ground are a bit more stark as the other Marriotts (just a matter of the maturity of trees and other plants). Now that might not be a big deal to you but I'll admit that I think that mature landscaping makes my resort stays a little more relaxing.

Cypress Harbour is a somewhat larger resort than Harbour Lake is and many of the buildings are sited around a lake. The villa interiors are superior, IMO, and were brand new in the villa that we stayed in during our last stay at the resort a couple of years ago. Of the Orlando area Marriotts that we've stayed at this one consistently employs the most customer-focused staff. I don't own at the Cypress Harbour resort but it's my family's favorite Orlando timeshare resort, Marriott or not (of course, we haven't stayed at all of the various timeshare resorts that the area has to offer).

If you haven't stayed at a Marriott timeshare resort and don't have the "creature-comfort" expectations of a Marriott, then I think you'd have a great time at Harbour Lake. Your family is in its target market and they do a great job in meeting the needs of families with young children.

Either way, you'll enjoy your stay.

Dick Taylor

I wanted to thank the 2 previous posters for your insight and advice. We found it to be extremely helpful!! Thanks again!

My family is heading to Disney at the end of May, and we have our lodging narrowed down to two places - Marriott's Cypress Harbour and Marriott's Harbour Lake. We will be traveling with 3 kids (ages 7.5, 6, and 2.5). We anticipate spending a few days at the WDW parks (we will have a car), but we also plan to spend some days at the hotel. Does anybody have any insight into either place or have any recommendations about which one may be better for us? Thank you!!!

Stayed at MCH and it was beautiful. Honestly have to say that ALL the Marriott's are great. Never a bad time. I haven't stayed at MHL but have seen it. Looks pretty too.

We have stayed at a few of the Marriotts in the area and I'll agree with those recommending Harbour Lake for your family. It's been a while since we stayed there (was called horizons when we stayed) but my SIL stayed there last year and we were over to hang with her quite a bit. The place is geared for kids your age, you can't miss IMO with that choice.

I would also have to recommend Harbour Lake just for the fact that most units have two queen beds in the second bedroom. Be sure to request a dedicated two bedroom unit as the lock off units have a king in the second bedroom.

Cypress Harbour has a small second bedroom with just a queen and sofa. When the sofa is pulled out, there isn't much room to navigate. The living/kitchen area is huge with a pullout sofa as well. However the extra bed at Harbour Lake will be a big plus.

While Harbour Lake was originally branded under the Horizons name, Marriott recently brought it under the MVCI brand and as new units go through renovation they get the new upgraded features that all the MVCI resorts have. The new units have flat panel televisions and stainless steel appliances. We own at Harbour Lake, and while it isn't our favorite Orlando resort, for a family of five with small children, it is great.

I would also have to recommend Harbour Lake just for the fact that most units have two queen beds in the second bedroom. Be sure to request a dedicated two bedroom unit as the lock off units have a king in the second bedroom.

Cypress Harbour has a small second bedroom with just a queen and sofa. When the sofa is pulled out, there isn't much room to navigate. The living/kitchen area is huge with a pullout sofa as well. However the extra bed at Harbour Lake will be a big plus.

While Harbour Lake was originally branded under the Horizons name, Marriott recently brought it under the MVCI brand and as new units go through renovation they get the new upgraded features that all the MVCI resorts have. The new units have flat panel televisions and stainless steel appliances. We own at Harbour Lake, and while it isn't our favorite Orlando resort, for a family of five with small children, it is great.

Thank you so much for that piece of advice. The two queen beds in the secondary bedroom were definitely part of our decision! Given the suggestions we received here, we decided to go with Marriott Harbour Lake. Our older kids will LOVE the Pirate Ship pool, and the zero entry feature will be great for the little guy! I also know that the kids will think it is amazing to have putt-putt on site! We are so excited about our stay!!!

We've never stayed at Cypress Harbor because of the bed situation in the 2nd bedroom that a pp described.

We have stayed at Harbour Lakes and love it! Dd loves the pirate pool. They also have a large water play area at the other pool and a large adult size slide. The pirate pool has a few slides also. The hot tubs are very large. They have some fun activities for kids and mini golf, basketball, and volleyball.

Just booked Cypress Harbour 2 bedroom for a trip in February. We stayed at Harbour Lake last April. Property and units were perfect. We typically stay on Disney property and really love to do that, but found Harbour Lake really nice. Drive over to Disney wasn't bad and resort was great.
Looking forward to Cypress Harbour. Seems like it's very similar and we will be just as happy as we were at Harbour Lake. I'm a little worried about the 2nd bedroom (my kids are 10 and 13 and we'll have to work with them to figure out who sleeps on the pull out). Other than that- resort looks great based on photos & reviews.

Can't wait!!

We have stayed at both. Cypress harbor is one of our favorites. The rooms are much larger then HL but that includes a large hot tub that no one uses. The resort is beautiful and just the right size with something to do for everyone. They have 3 pools, 1 is a quiet pool.

As for you, I would base your decision on how "kid oriented" a resort that you want. No question about it, Harbor lake is very cool with the water park, pool slide, and zero entry pool. But CH has a great kids area with all kinds of things to do. Our favorite CH activities included my son's favorite which was the RC race cars. You can buy a kit, build the car, add modifications, and race it. He loved this. You can rent all kinds of pedal boats for the small pond, fish, hang out at the beach, hit the sauna, play mini golf for free (better course at HL but they want you to pay for it), rent multi-seat bikes. Many activities but they had those at HL too. Both resorts are great but Cypress Harbor was our favorite.

We have stayed at both. Cypress harbor is one of our favorites. The rooms are much larger then HL but that includes a large hot tub that no one uses. The resort is beautiful and just the right size with something to do for everyone. They have 3 pools, 1 is a quiet pool.

As for you, I would base your decision on how "kid oriented" a resort that you want. No question about it, Harbor lake is very cool with the water park, pool slide, and zero entry pool. But CH has a great kids area with all kinds of things to do. Our favorite CH activities included my son's favorite which was the RC race cars. You can buy a kit, build the car, add modifications, and race it. He loved this. You can rent all kinds of pedal boats for the small pond, fish, hang out at the beach, hit the sauna, play mini golf for free (better course at HL but they want you to pay for it), rent multi-seat bikes. Many activities but they had those at HL too. Both resorts are great but Cypress Harbor was our favorite.

Everything he said. We like ch better, more relaxing. But given your kids ages maybe hl for the activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter