• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Married women-ever buy a new wedding ring?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Suppose your wedding ring gets too tight, or for some reason you can't wear it anymore? Do you go without or go out and buy a new one? So far I've just gone without, but I take off my engagement ring when I wash dishes and shower, and lots of times I forget to put it back on, so I go out "ringless". DH doesn't like that too much, so I'm considering buying a new ring. But doesn't that feel kind of wierd? After all, it's just a bought ring, not the "real" one that went through the wedding ceremony 28 years ago.

Didn't feel weird at all. My wedding band doesn't fit anymore (25 years) so it was either get a new one or cut of circulation to my finger, LOL. I love my new one as my taste has changed since then and my new one suits my taste now.

I don't think it is strange. My DH and I replaced our rings a couple of years ago. We had actually forgotten to buy wedding rings until the night before our wedding, so we just had plain gold bands from the jewelry store in the mall. We upgraded our bands to a carved design that has the symbol of our favorite vacation destination around it.

I got a new set and had the old set made into a pendant. Not because it didn't fit. I just wanted a new one that I fell in love with.

DH can't say anything about it. He is currently on ring number 6 as he lost the first 5. And we only just had our 15th anniversary.

DH bought me a new wedding band set with diamonds and rubies when we hit ten years, kept my original engagement diamond. Doesn't feel weird at all to me.

I always want to keep my original diamond, but if he came home with a big new one lol, I would be happy to have my diamond set in a necklace and wear the new one.

Suppose your wedding ring gets too tight, or for some reason you can't wear it anymore? Do you go without or go out and buy a new one? So far I've just gone without, but I take off my engagement ring when I wash dishes and shower, and lots of times I forget to put it back on, so I go out "ringless". DH doesn't like that too much, so I'm considering buying a new ring. But doesn't that feel kind of wierd? After all, it's just a bought ring, not the "real" one that went through the wedding ceremony 28 years ago.

I'd go to the jewelers and have them increase the size of the ring. I have done it twice to mine. I have also had the stone size increase. :goodvibes

i totally get where you're coming from! during octobers trip to the world, while putting sunscreen on the kidlets, i looked down to noticed my engagemnt ring was broken! i was so upset. this was our tenth wedding anny trip and here my ring was broken. that of course meant a lot to me, we picked it out together and he propsed with it. it went to the jewler 8 times, and repeatedly came back worse each time...why on earth it was missing a diamond when it was to go out for a band repair ill never know. but thats another story! after trip number 8 it went out, they said they couldnt fix it any longer after they had modified it. i was heartbroken. my choice was to keep it as it was and be unhappy with how much they changed it or take a new one without the sentiment. since they had changed it so much and i was unhappy with it, i settled for a new one. even the new one isnt the same, its changed slightly in the past 12 years ive had it.

so i get that aspect. but in this case its your band not your ring. is is possible to have it sized? over the years ive been on and off steroids for my colitis, so ive had it sized. knock on wood ive had the same band the entire time.

I accidently bent my rings all out of shape. We thought we'd go get a new wedding band/engagement set made, but when I got to the jeweler and was looking around, I found that I was too emotionally attached to the 1st set that DH had designed for me. So I had the originals fixed and soldered together. A few years later I had them resized (smaller! who knew), and had the palm-side of the rings made into one ring, and the top still looks like two, if that makes sense.

For our 20th anniversary, DH designed an anniversary band that I wear on my right hand. He's a keeper!

My DH bought me a Tiffany's diamond anniversary band for our 10th anniversary. That's the band I wear every day now.

Both DH and I had ours made bigger. Had thought about new ones but I really love mine and didn't feel right about wearing something else. But thats just me.

no, just my personal choice but I want my original (same with my engagement ring). It was VERY affordable (we got a great offer extended to us AFTER we had put deposit down - to have them hang onto them until wedding). I prefer small and low profile, so I have no need for big or showy. It also matches my DH's, but I would feel the same if if did not. Both my rings show where we started, though we have come a long way and could afford to "upgrade". If mine no longer fit, I would have the band enlarged.:)

:wizard:

My tastes and the budget have changed since we first got ours very young. I changed from yellow gold to white gold and changed the general setting, but used the main diamond in the new ring. I love it and so does DH. Nothing wrong with it IMO!

If you really want a new ring, you could always ask your priest/pastor/whatever to bless the new ring. I had a friend do this because she was so upset about losing her ring. Or you could create a new memory by renewing your vows, either formally in a small ceremony, or privately just between the two of you.

I can't see paying to get it enlarged. When we bought it, we went real inexpensive and got it at Prime Value Mart (a factory outlet type of store). Getting it resized would no doubt cost more than the ring! But I do feel better about getting a new one now-thanks everyone!

I never liked my original and quit wearing after 10-12 years of marriage. When we hit 25 years, I went and had what I wanted custom designed and that's what I wear now.

I have had my engagement ring and wedding band sized up and down quite a few times. I didn't want to stop wearing them when I was pregnant. A few years ago my husband surprised me with a yellow diamond engagement ring. I alternate wearing that one with my original. They are both special to me.

Go out together and pick one. After 28 years being married to the same person its ALL special! :laughing:

My wedding ring was my great grandmother's, then my grandmother's, then my mother's. Each time, when the daughter got married and the mother passed down the ring, the dad got her a new, fabulous one as replacement. I'm looking forward to continuing the tradition with my DD some day. :lovestruc

DH and I don't wear our rings. We will be married 20yrs in Dec. I was thinking of getting a new set, but now I think I want a band. Something pretty but with nothing that sticks out.

DH and I did not have a wedding with wedding bands. We got rings later. I picked a marquis that is a weapon. I need to do something with it because it is just not a comfortable ring to wear.

I love my engagement ring the way it is, but my wedding band was custom made very poorly by a bad jeweler. I was never happy with it, so five years later got a new one. NOW I'm happy and I've only sized them since.

You have to do what is right for you - if you are sentimentally attached you could find a jeweler who can size it for you so you can wear it. If nothing can be done about the size, maybe you can find something similar.

My Dh bought me a ring for our 15th anniversary last year and thats what I wear every day now. I love my original ring but while I designed it I just wasnt that attached to it. In addition to that the diamond is set too high so I have to always remove it at night anyway. I think I will have it made into something else at some point.

the ring he got me for our anniversary is amazing! its just a band but it says Mo Anam Cara which means "my soul mate" in Gaelic. I absolutely love it! It means so much to me and its very practical, which is more important to me more than it was 15 years ago LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter