Married to a Non-Disney Fan

db57me

Mouseketeer
My wife and I just returned from our first WDW vacation. I had been once before, when I was 14. I've always been a Disney fan, but life got in the way of being able to return. Now that I've been back, I'm ready to go again. This trip was bitter-sweet; the heat and the crowds slowed us (mostly my wife) down from just enjoying our surroundings. She just wanted to do a few things and get out of the park we were in at the moment. We had a few special moments, like dinning at the California Grill and seeing Wishes from our window seat.

Now that we are back home, I'm ready to start planning our next trip. However, my wife isn't thinking about another trip until we have grandchildren and they're at least 5 years old. We are talking possibly 6 years from now. I want to go sooner, as an adult without family in tow. I want to experience Disney at least one more time before we start taking family.

Is anyone else on these boards married to a non-Disney fan? How do you deal with the frustration?

Is anyone else on these boards married to a non-Disney fan? How do you deal with the frustration?

Ouch! I feel for you! I'm not married so I have indulged in Disney vacations with my nephew, or a friend, or with my father, or by myself. I, too, have been in relationships with non-Disney fans...but it didn't work out.

I'm married to a non disney fan DH hates going, but goes for me and DD. We are about to go again in Nov for the 3rd year in a row.if heat and crowds are an issue I suggest a Nov or Dec. trip on a low crowd week. A perk in going this time of year is school is In session depending on which week you pick. The park is gorgeous this time of year and at night you might need a jacket. I'm not big on heat so that's why we go in Nov. I start out in the spring asking if we can take a trip and he finally caves!

Go in September. The prices are rock bottom. Prices rise in October, nov and December. Most rides are 10 minutes to get onto.kids are back in school. I bet he'll like Disney world then. I'd say go in the middle of September so all schools are back. Weather is still warm but not too hot.

As a teacher, which I neglected to mention, my travel times are limited to Feb, April, and Christmas breaks, or summer. I want to go back in April in 2016.

As a teacher, which I neglected to mention, my travel times are limited to Feb, April, and Christmas breaks, or summer. I want to go back in April in 2016.
Unfortunately some of the hottest or most crowded times are when you can go. I would eliminate summer right off the bat, the oppressive heat can be so enervating. Whatever time of year you go make sure you get up bright and early to avoid most of the crowds and return to your resort for some R and R in the afternoon. I know that may not sound too great considering you get up early every day for school but I don't know how else you can avoid the crowds.

Hopefully, you will be staying on property which makes going back for a snooze or just relaxing by the pool more appealing. However, going in February would not guarantee temperatures that allow for swimming. My husband was just meh when I told him we should go to Disney for a holiday. His childhood never included this type of holiday so he had nothing to compare it too. But he is a foodie and being able to partake of the free dining and eating at signature restaurants sealed the deal for him. Getting to watch an awesome fireworks display while having apps at Narcoosee's wasn't too shabby either.

Whatever you decide just remember not to try to do it all, pace yourself and if you don't get to see something, it's not the end of the world. The most important thing is that you both of enjoy the vacation.

I find that alternating different types of holidays works wonders, one holiday is a driving trip to Maine, the next a high end all-inclusive in Mexico where you basically do squat unless you decide to swim with stingrays, etc. We haven't been to Europe for a while and after our November Disney trip, that is where I want to go next.

I don't know how old you are but waiting to being the official overseer of grandkids on a Disney trip is no picnic either; if you are hot, tired, and cranky now, multiple that in spades with the little ones in tow!

I would recommend going anytime between October until the third week of December. Tell your wife that the weather will be nice and comfortable, and to give it another shot, at a time when the weather won't get in the way!

I would recommend going anytime between October until the third week of December. Tell your wife that the weather will be nice and comfortable, and to give it another shot, at a time when the weather won't get in the way!

Unfortunately, as a teacher he and his wife are limited to times that coincide with summer holidays and other school breaks.

Hello
I´m kind of new to the forums, and I am married to a non Disney Fan, my DH has been 2 times to Disneyland (the first as a kid, the second with me on my 30th Bday) and 1 time to Disney world with me, but he did not enjoy it as much as I did, he doesn't want to go again until we have kids, so .... how do I deal with this, I have a sister that loves Disney as much as I do, and a lot of friends, that if they didn't like it at first after one talk to me about disney they are now in love :)

and I plan trips for me and my husband to a place he likes, and another just for me with friends or my sister without him. :)

Hello
I´m kind of new to the forums, and I am married to a non Disney Fan, my DH has been 2 times to Disneyland (the first as a kid, the second with me on my 30th Bday) and 1 time to Disney world with me, but he did not enjoy it as much as I did, he doesn't want to go again until we have kids, so .... how do I deal with this, I have a sister that loves Disney as much as I do, and a lot of friends, that if they didn't like it at first after one talk to me about disney they are now in love :)

and I plan trips for me and my husband to a place he likes, and another just for me with friends or my sister without him. :)
Has he said exactly why he doesn't like it, the crowds, the heat, the cost? Not everyone is going to like Disney inspired vacations but maybe you can compromise and alternate between the holidays your DH likes and your Disney fix! My husband was kind of meh at first but now he likes going because he gets to eat at amazing restaurants with the DDP and going on TofT and Toy Story Mania, he could ride that all day. As long as he gets some pool time everyday and a soak in the hot tub, it's all good.

My husband hates Disney. Too hot, too crowded, too boring! This is in March! He has been twice. Both weekend trips. One with grandkids, second just us. Second trip he did 1/2 day at AK and spent the rest of our day in our room. He refused to go to Wishes with me and did not even leave our room to eat dinner!! I have crossed him off my list. He does not stop me from living my life. I go to Disney solo, or with family. I have a blast. If he wants to sit home that is his problem. He is always welcome to join me. He just refuses. Sad he is missing such great times and making memories with and for our grandchildren. Life is too short! OP see if there are things she will do at Disney. Outlet malls, etc. If not you go and send her to the beach or some place else. Good luck! But do not let her stop you from enjoying your life.

First of all, "making Memories" is not some thing that you can do ONLY at Disney guys.
It's very interesting, we go almost annually (or we use to) and when I ask my kids about their favorite vacations, Disney is usually at the bottom.
It is very possible to make memories a gazillion other places.

Next, op I know on these boards this is the wrong thing to say but there are a million other wonderful places on this planet.
Has your wife expressed an interest in doing some thing else?

My husband thought Disney was "ok". So we took turns and you know what..we have great times at the places he picked
My sons have made "magical" memories in other places.
We have just as good as time other places. There are a million venues that will cater to families just the way, if not better than Disney.

So ask your wife where she'd like to go and try it.

You may be very surprised where you and the grandkids can go.

We still enjoy the mouseworld, and actually going all the time, it was getting stale. we noticed the bad food, ride break downs and we loathe ,hate and despise the new fast pass/magic band system
So now we've cut back and doing other things.

What part of Feb are you able to travel? If it isn't around Presidents day weekend, Feb is a great time to go - low crowds, low prices, decent weather.

I have a friend who is a teacher whose first husband wasn't a huge fan either. They went because of the kids, but once there, she kind of made the trip "his." She tailored a majority of the days to his tastes and interests. It made it more tolerable for him, and by the end, he was ok with booking a bounceback.

Maybe on your next trip, get your DW in on the planning? Have her pick out restaurants, or attractions that would be must-dos for her. Or if she's not interested in that, maybe a behind the scenes tour would interest her more? Stuff more tailored to her interests, plus lower crowds and much less heat - might help you out!

As a teacher, do you guys have a fall break? That's a great time to go too. It's still hot, but not sweltering. In my part of the country, fall break is a very common practice among school districts. Many take a 4 day weekend, but our school district does a full 2 weeks!

We went Thanksgiving week last year as we only needed to take 3 vacation days. I am a big Disney fan but going in the heat would not be my idea of fun. We wore shorts and capris during the day, added a sweater at night.

With all the Christmas festivites, it felt like a completely different vacation than going on spring break with the kids when they were younger. All of our dining was at restaurants we had not tried yet. Characters meals are a bit over the top for my husband so we skipped those this time around, though he was good sport and got in a few short lines for photos (Epcot Character Spot, you can get a few characters with only one line). We loved Hoop Dee doo, La Nouba and Christmas Candlelight processional.

I know alot of people are fine with going on vacation separately from their spouses but we like to be together so figure a way to do things we will both enjoy whether he is schlepping around Disney with me or I sit with my book next to him while he is fishing at the lake or river. We are celebrating 30 years this year (at Aulani!) so it works for us!

First of all, "making Memories" is not some thing that you can do ONLY at Disney guys.
It's very interesting, we go almost annually (or we use to) and when I ask my kids about their favorite vacations, Disney is usually at the bottom.

Next, op I know on these boards this is the wrong thing to say but there are a million other wonderful places on this planet.

My husband thought Disney was "ok". So we took turns and you know what..we have great times at the places he picked
We have just as good as time other places. There are a million venues that will cater to families just the way, if not better than Disney.

We still enjoy the mouseworld, and actually going all the time, it was getting stale. we noticed the bad food, ride break downs and we loathe ,hate and despise the new fast pass/magic band system

I agree 100%. Some people just do not, nor will ever, like Disney. There are so many other places to go and things to see to make memories.

I'm lucky; my parents raised my sister and me to be rabid Disney fans, and my husband tolerates it quite well. Actually, he says "I used to think I loved Disney, then I met you and realized that I like it just fine but I'm not as rabid as you are!" My daughter was practically raised at Disneyland and has been to WDW twice.

If your spouse just isn't into Disney as much as you are, that's okay! I see nothing wrong with taking trips with other members of your family who love it or friends as well.

Totally agree with this statement. My family were late hopping on the Disney train (I didn't take my daughter until she was 12) By that time, she'd already traveled coast to coast in Canada and been to England. We didn't go back again until her kids were with us. And by that time, we'd been to Europe several times.

So as much as we love Disney, it is just another way to spend a vacation. Last year I took my DGD on a cruise in the Caribbean and she loved it. I mentioned on another thread that if she was offered a trip to WDW or Europe right now, that would be a no-brainer - Europe it would be. And you can see the real life princess castle in Bavaria that Disney's castle was modelled on.

Strolling through Roman ruins in the south of France, touring the catacombs under Paris, or driving through the Alps is pretty awesome. There is nothing like immersing yourself in another culture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter