• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marrakesh Review

alysnwndrlnd

Mouseketeer
Kevin, I have a question about the appetizer salad you got at the Marrakesh.
The salad on the plate in the picture looks like a nice sized salad ... was that for one person or did you have to divide it? Still though, for an appetizer, half of it would have been pretty good i think.

Also, the pictures of the entrees... unless the scale is wonky, the serving sizes look pretty good to me. I agree, for the prices you paid, you should have been getting huge plates of food. But concerning serving size alone, sometimes we Americans think everything should be "supersized". My concerns with the meal would have been the prices, not the size of the servings, but that's just me.

The "recipe" for the Fruit salad from Marrakesh has been published on the web as: fruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water. So, with all the "scents" they add to bug sprays to make them more .... bearable ...it's possible that the fruit salad didn't smell like raid... but raid smells like the fruit salad. (at least this particular version).

Oh, and about "breakfast" /dessert stuff on your lunch and dinner foods: Have you ever had Coconut Grove Chicken Drumettes? yum!
:-)

I think the scale of the photos is deceiving. We should have put something in the picture that had a recognizable size.

On the 7 inch appetizer plate...please keep in mind that the rolls are approximately 2inches long and those are small lemon wedges on the plate. The salad serving would easily fit in the palm of your hand. This is listed as an appetizer for two and the cost is $15.95. For what was received, this would have still been priced too high if the price had been halved.

I understand completely what you are saying about serving sizes. Having always had an issue with my weight, I have been trying to re-educate myself as far as what is considered an appropriate serving size.

In my opinion, these were small servings and whether you want to call this on the side of the prices being too high for what was received or too small a portion for the price being charged, I think we are basically saying the same thing. This is not a good value for what you are paying.

I also am willing to admit that when it comes to Morrocan food, I am uneducated and based this review solely on what tasted good and what didnt.

I am a fan of savory and sweet flavors and understand the concept. I like Outback's coconut shrimp. The flavors of powdered sugar and cinammon are not flavors I associate with beef and chicken. They are flavors I associate with breakfast and donuts. While I am not suggesting that the items covered in powdered sugar and cinammon were bad or poorly prepared, They came as a surprise to me and I didnt particularly care for them. But then I dont like lima beans and I dont even like the fact that other people eat grapefruit. :rotfl:

As for the fruit salad....this wasnt mine and it did not come with ice cream or toasted almonds. It looked like a small bowl of pleasant and unassuming fruit salad. It was not ordered a la carte, but came as part of the Taste of Morroco ($27.95) John took a single bite and spit it out. When I asked what was wrong, he replied, "it tastes like Raid." I have had orange blossom water and rose water....and this is not the taste I got from the salad. It had a strong chemical taste and smelled like very strong perfume.

I was really surprised by the review too. We thought the portions were pretty "right sized" when we went there in January, but we went for dinner not for lunch, so maybe its not an apples to apples comparison (or I guess lamb kebob for lamb kebob would be a better analogy)

As Kevin always says, its only one guy's opinion of one visit on one particular day. I hope people don't totally write it off.

Just has a quick look at the Pics, and i must agree that the Sultans 'feast' doesnt look to feasty to me!!! I am a Brit with a small appetite and that would not be enough for even me!

I have smelt Raid, no one should have to eat that! :rotfl:

Great review though Kevin!

I think maybe in future puting a fork on the plate would help because plates can be different sizes so for scale purposes a utencil might help this situation????:confused3

just a thought

Kevin,

Thanks for the review. We were considering eating there as my wife really likes Middle Eastern food. I was surprised at the portion sizes. They do seem very small. We eat at several Middle Eastern restaurants here in Indy, and I have to tell you that the portion size that you described does not reflect the experiences we have had at similar restaurants here.

I know it's apples and oranges, but they should have had lowered the price if they were going to serve F&W portions as dinner. :confused3

I can't wait for next review! Thanks for taking one for the team!

I have to say we like the food there but the portions are small. Both me and my husband were hungry after dinner and had some other snacks and dessert. For $40 you should not leave that hungry. Even if they bulked it up with couscous which is relatively cheap it would be a better deal. I have to agree with Kevin on this one. My platter at Tangerine Cafe was larger than my dinner platter at Marakesh.

Thanks for answering the questions Kevin.
You are right, whether the problem is small portions/overpriced food, there IS a problem.

I have to admit, I AM 'fluffy' and portion size is a huge obstacle for me.

I agree about the fork on the plate idea. Good thought!

I'm planning my second ever trip to the World right now, and the rest of my family aren't as experimental with trying new foods as I am, so unfortunately Marrakesh is probably out for me. Thankfully, Animal Kingdom's BOMA satisfies my culinary curiosity a little bit as well as gives hubby and son some of the american 'standards', at a decent price. And its buffet! So, no leaving hungry there!

Also I forgot to thank you for noting all the extra stuff.. (handicapped access, views, access stuff.. all the stuff thats important to know for lots of us!

Thanks again for the reviews, Kevin. They do help so much!! I'm planning my second ever trip to the World, and it's nice to have DISfriends who can advise on things like this so we know what's out there!

I think maybe in future puting a fork on the plate would help because plates can be different sizes so for scale purposes a utencil might help this situation????:confused3

just a thought

WDW will just start shrinking the utensils then.:rotfl2:

I am a fan of savory and sweet flavors and understand the concept. I like Outback's coconut shrimp.

:banana: Yum! Yum! The coconut shrimp at Outback is so good. I get it as my entree.

:( We had an ADR for Restaurant Marrakesh for our December WDW trip. After reading NUMEROUS negative reviews I was on the fence about the restaurant. After hearing Kevin's review, I canceled our ADR. Some people, including my DH call Kevin a "food snob". Personally, I find your honesty refreshing. Thank you for telling it like it is. I am VERY particular about my food, especially if it is pricey. We had a nice dinner (meaning NO KIDS!!!!) a few weekends ago at Ruth's Chris Steak House. DH and I both ordered steak with a lobster to share. I grew up in MA and know how lobster is suppose to be cooked and taste. The lobster was way undercooked. So, I sent it back to be sauteed a little. DH was a little embarressed. But, if we are paying $100 (yes, $100 for ONE lobster) it sure as heck better be cooked to perfection.

:thumbsup2 Keep up the great and HONEST restaurant reviews. They are greatly appreciated by this self-proclaimed "foodie". :goodvibes

- Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter