Marrakesh food too exotic for kids/teens?

Huff

DIS Veteran
We have ADR's for Marrakesh and have never eaten there before. We'll have 12yr old girl and possibly an 8yr old as well. They love chicken or beef so was thinking the shishkabobs of either would be ok for them. Like most kids they don't like the unusual.

We've eaten at just about every restaurant at WDW over the years except Marrakesh. We'll be there 9 nights so other nights we have ADR's at all our favorates.

For those that enjoy this restaurant is the food typically enjoyed by kids ordering off both kids or adult menus?

First off I should tell you that I :love: Moroccan food! But was totally let down by Marrakesh...what a disservice to Morocco! The food was very bland and not very flavourful...I personally would pick somewhere else, or with that being said, I think your kids won't find it too exotic. It's definitely tamed down for western palates!

I think the food at Marrakesh is toned down a bit with flavor... to make it more acceptable to the masses? Still, I thought the food there was very good... and if you want something "normal", there's always Morroccan pasta which was pretty much just pasta and meatballs. They were also willing to cough up things not on the menu like strawberries and french fries.

If your girls are not shy, they might really like Marrakesh. The music is interesting and the belly dancer will invite children/teens (sometimes adults) to belly dance on the floor with her. I saw a teen brother and sister have a great time trying to belly dance!

Just be sure to schedule after 12:30 because the first belly dancing show is 12:50 I think.

We really liked it, it is not really traditional spiced Morroccan though.My 4 yr old even liked it and she is a picky eater

DH has wanted to try the Morrocan restaurant for years and our next trip I am going to make an ADR for there, I was always worried it might be spicier than I would like but seems not from what pp are saying.

Does anyone know where I can find the times for the belly danceing shows?

DH has wanted to try the Morrocan restaurant for years and our next trip I am going to make an ADR for there, I was always worried it might be spicier than I would like but seems not from what pp are saying.

Does anyone know where I can find the times for the belly danceing shows?

This site was accurate with the times, at least the 12:50 time when we went. Other people report the same.
Traditional Moroccan music and dance inside Restaurant Marrakesh.
Daily at 12:50, 1:50, 2:50, 5:00, 6:00, 7:00 & 8:10pm
Belly Dancer begins 10 minutes after show begins.
Length of show: 25 minutes
http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/

We have ADR's for Marrakesh and have never eaten there before. We'll have 12yr old girl and possibly an 8yr old as well. They love chicken or beef so was thinking the shishkabobs of either would be ok for them. Like most kids they don't like the unusual.

We've eaten at just about every restaurant at WDW over the years except Marrakesh. We'll be there 9 nights so other nights we have ADR's at all our favorates.

For those that enjoy this restaurant is the food typically enjoyed by kids ordering off both kids or adult menus?

My pre-teens (at the time) loved it so much that we had to seek out a similiar restaurant back home...which now, several years later is still a favorite lunch hangout. Now they're teen and both CS and TS at Morroco is a must do! Try the Shwarma....it's a favorite of my "steak and potato only" husband.....which he tried only because I forced him...then we teased him "Hey look Mikey likes it" (a reference to an old Life Cereal commercial for you young folks).

What I did that first time was start with the CS....and only order ONE meal (the Shwarma) because I knew if all else failed I'd eat it. So I made everyone try it, and they liked it, so we ordered more. If they hadn't liked it, I'd have carried my meal (which I'd ask "to go" for just this possibility) down to Japan or UK's CS which I knew they liked.

I think the food at Marrakesh is toned down a bit with flavor... to make it more acceptable to the masses? Still, I thought the food there was very good... and if you want something "normal", there's always Morroccan pasta which was pretty much just pasta and meatballs. They were also willing to cough up things not on the menu like strawberries and french fries.

If your girls are not shy, they might really like Marrakesh. The music is interesting and the belly dancer will invite children/teens (sometimes adults) to belly dance on the floor with her. I saw a teen brother and sister have a great time trying to belly dance!

Just be sure to schedule after 12:30 because the first belly dancing show is 12:50 I think.

The stuff we have back home is definitely a little spicier, so yeah, probably toned down for American palates. Sadly the Chinese food is made almost inedible by it's bow to American palates, but Morocco did a good balance!

It is definitely toned down for American tastes, but still good.

Each child is different and you know yours best.

Ours loved it all along, but they stopped eating from kids menus by age 4, and by 5 were eating Chinese, Indian, Seafood, and just about anything else. They loved and still love any kind of spicy food and will try anything - including Calamari at 4.

I remember going there when I was on a high school choir trip, and it's the only restaurant I remember eating in. We all loved it!

Thank you for the heads-up on show times! We had early reservations but just changed them to 12:30. The biggest reason we were going was so the girls could see the belly dancer. They were going to try the food in exchange for the entertainment. That could have turned out to be a very difficult meal.

Thank you for the heads-up on show times! We had early reservations but just changed them to 12:30. The biggest reason we were going was so the girls could see the belly dancer. They were going to try the food in exchange for the entertainment. That could have turned out to be a very difficult meal.

Have Fun! Be sure to encourage them to try belly dancing on the floor. I bet they have fun! Be sure to try the mint iced tea too.. very good.

My kids loved it so much that we returned when they were teens. The chicken and couscous is pretty tame-just enough spice to have flavor but not enough to be considered "spicy." I'd say it's more on par with Rice-a-roni than exotic cuisine. (I don't mean that as an insult--we enjoyed our meal.) My boys also enjoy music and they were really interested in the instruments being played by the musicians--and the belly dancers were of great interest to our teens as well!;)

I dont think its too exotic... I am en extremely picky picky eater... and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Marrakesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter