Market Day/Scrip - ideas for school fundraisers

What keeps me from ordering Market day is the annoying pickup time.

:thumbsup2 THIS!! Pick up times were always something like 2-4 p.m. for our school. It's easy for them (and they get students to help sort), but it's a pain in the patootie for anyone with a job.

This year the Market Day person set up a table at the school open house with samples of some of the products. My son tried something that he loved, so it made me think I might try it out this year. Maybe do something like this at school events to get people to try the food. I have never ordered because it is a bit pricey and we have to pick up at a totally different school than where my son goes.

:thumbsup2 THIS!! Pick up times were always something like 2-4 p.m. for our school. It's easy for them (and they get students to help sort), but it's a pain in the patootie for anyone with a job.

Our pick up times are from 5:45-6:45. Yes some people might be having dinner but I think that is better than 2-4 like you mentioned because most folks are at work at that time.

Our school (parochial) has eliminated all fundraising except for Market Day and Scrip. They entice people to participate by giving tuition rebates, based on how much families purchase during the year. The first $40 of profit goes to the school and after that it is split 50/50 between the school and family. We ended up with a $250 rebate last year - not bad, considering I wasn't diligent about using Scrip all the time and there were a few a months I forgot to place my Market Day order.

As for encouraging people to order Market Day, I know I was better about remembering to order once I started placing orders online. Also, it seems like they are always offering discounts that are only available online and you can get free items when ordering online. So maybe try pushing that feature :)

Good luck!

Does your school do Script? Maybe adding another Fundraiser will help. I love to purchase Script.

I should probably make this into its own thread, but how do you like the program? I just found out DS's middle school participates and it almost sounds too good to be true as the easiest fundraiser ever. Am I missing something, or is it really that great?

So for those of you who are willing to order, would home delivery entice you to order?

I should probably make this into its own thread, but how do you like the program? I just found out DS's middle school participates and it almost sounds too good to be true as the easiest fundraiser ever. Am I missing something, or is it really that great?

No, it's really that great! :thumbsup2 It's so easy. . .it's just a matter of remembering to order and getting people used to using it. But it's very budget friendly. You simply can buy scrip for the things you would normally buy. . .gas groceries. . .etc. It's fits in nicely with the Dave Ramsey system. You just order your budget amount in Scrip for the week or month.

I feel for you OP, our school stopped doing Market Day two years ago, right after the economy tanked. We only made a little over $1000.00 the entire year and the coordinators didn't feel it was worth the time and energy involved. I did like their products though.

Does your school have a newsletter? Can you put reminders in there? Maybe highlighting the specials for the month? Maybe add a recipe with an exclusive Market Day ingredient? At Christmas highlight the pies and boxed candy?

I have also seen schools do a drawing for a free item (pie, chicken) when someone orders for the first time, to try and get new customers. I don't know how successful that was.

Our school moved from the monthly sale to a one time cookie dough sale through Market Day and we made three times more with the single cookie dough sale then we did with the monthly sale. Maybe try that at the end of the year and see if that works better?

Just throwing ideas out there...............

No, it's really that great! :thumbsup2 It's so easy. . .it's just a matter of remembering to order and getting people used to using it. But it's very budget friendly. You simply can buy scrip for the things you would normally buy. . .gas groceries. . .etc. It's fits in nicely with the Dave Ramsey system. You just order your budget amount in Scrip for the week or month.

Yay! :cheer2: Our school processes orders weekly, so remembering shouldn't be a problem, and we spend a TON with the participating retailers (including Disney, of course :thumbsup2 ). DS is only going into 6th grade, but the school rolls over the student share of the proceeds from year to year so by the time the 8th grade rolls around with our first set of pay-for-play sport fees and the class trips to Washington DC and Cedar Point we should have a fair head start on the expenses. Which is good, because paid out of pocket that was looking to be a VERY expensive year!

Yay! :cheer2: Our school processes orders weekly, so remembering shouldn't be a problem, and we spend a TON with the participating retailers (including Disney, of course :thumbsup2 ). DS is only going into 6th grade, but the school rolls over the student share of the proceeds from year to year so by the time the 8th grade rolls around with our first set of pay-for-play sport fees and the class trips to Washington DC and Cedar Point we should have a fair head start on the expenses. Which is good, because paid out of pocket that was looking to be a VERY expensive year!

That would be a great incentive to get parents to use it if their part of the proceeds contributed to fees and class trips. How do they keep track of all of that though. Does Scrip have a way to track this or is this something the school would have to do separately?

I love Market Day products. I started buying when the kids were in elementary school and still buy even though they are out of college.

I have switched pick-up to a nearby church because it is a Saturday pick-up.

Once you start using their chicken steaks you will not buy boneless chicken at the grocery store. I always buy the seasoned salmon. My kids grew up eating a nice assortment of seafood because of Market Day products. There are some that can be cooked from frozen, so these were always my go-to meals for a hectic day. It truly was faster than taking the time to hit the drive- thru and a lot more healthy for us.

They have a bag of frozen broccoli that is excellent.

I did not care for their ground meat.

I love Market Day products. I started buying when the kids were in elementary school and still buy even though they are out of college.

I have switched pick-up to a nearby church because it is a Saturday pick-up.

Once you start using their chicken steaks you will not buy boneless chicken at the grocery store. I always buy the seasoned salmon. My kids grew up eating a nice assortment of seafood because of Market Day products. There are some that can be cooked from frozen, so these were always my go-to meals for a hectic day. It truly was faster than taking the time to hit the drive- thru and a lot more healthy for us.

They have a bag of frozen broccoli that is excellent.

I did not care for their ground meat.

I agree with you on their chicken steaks and I love that I can defrost them so quickly in their individual wrappers. I have used grocery store chicken in a pinch when I am between orders and I hated it. I now stock up so I dont run out anymore. We ordered the salmon for the first time this month so I am excited to get it next week. We do not care for their ground beef either. I wish they had something similar to Lauras lean beef. I think I will recommend that to my rep this month.

our school uses scrip also. It's been VERY successful!!! Mostly because it doesn't cost the parents anything more. They just buy GC in the amount they would normally spend at Target, grocery store, ect.. only the school gets some of that money as well.

The only suggestion I have, other than the mentioned pick-up times, would be to include other schools in the sale. In our school district only the elementary schools participate in Market Day. I think additional sales would come from the higher grades if order forms were given out to all those students and parents.

Reach out to the whole community-not just parents of your students. I know a lot of people who love certain items from Market Day but just don't order anymore because their children are not attending that school anymore.

I used to think Market Day was too expensive too...

But then I started buying...

this month they show you
Pork Chops 11.69
Broccoli 8.49
Mashed Potato Patties 6.89
Total: 27.07

Sounds like alot til they break it down and it is$2.94 per Serving.

That Broccoli is the best! It goes along way!

I buy the turkey Pretzel Bread sandwiches for my high School kids. They cost $2.22 each. Seems like alot for a sandwich. BUT...it is already in a bag, I never throw out moldy bread or turkey gone bad. They take something healthy from home and not eat from school.

My school consistently make 20% profit from Market Day.
For the quality it is well worth it. I'd rather buy MD than some trinket I do not need.

As for pick up time. Yep, no matter the time, it will not be convenient for someone...right after school the working moms can't make it, 6:00 during dinner, 7:00 too late. Saturday? Nah I'm sleeping in!! You can't find a time time to please everyone that is for sure!

My school has a freezer. If I pay in advance online or send a check to school, they will put my order in the freezer and I can stop by school and pick it up at my convenience. Now that is a nice perk.

That would be a great incentive to get parents to use it if their part of the proceeds contributed to fees and class trips. How do they keep track of all of that though. Does Scrip have a way to track this or is this something the school would have to do separately?

I'm pretty sure the school does it. Ours splits 65/35 in favor of the student, so the potential is there for it to really add up since both of our local groceries, the drugstore, Kmart, the local hardware store, the movie theatre, the gas station... basically everywhere we spend money on a regular basis participates. Even Disney; I'll probably use Scrip cards instead of my debit to pay off our next trip since the reward percentage is better! :rotfl:

I am co-chair of the market day at our school. We are a small community and average about 50 orders per month but are looking for ways to get more orders. Does anyone have any ideas?

I edited my title because the thread started to include other fundraising ideas and it would be great to hear about any other fundraising ideas your schools have been successful with so that we can all stop buying gift wrap and junk we dont need or want.

How many staff members do you have? Run a staff promo- Spend $25 or more this month and get your name in a drawing to win $10 off a future order.

Pie sales are going to be your big month. Seriously hit those hard. The FWF form will be your friend for high profits. Pay close attention to the breakeven point and order those pies. Our school has traditionally offered the option of buying extra pies that will be donated to a local food pantry- Make sure that the pantry has the freezer space and will be willing to meet you with the donations the night of the pick up. We have had confirmation candidates deliver for service hours, boy scout/girl scout troops, etc.
Do a big contest for the kids- choose either a class/grade level contest or individual contest. Pizza party for top 5 sellers w/ the principal. OR popcorn and movie party for class with highest sales. (OF course check this out w/ your building principal)

Another way to get sales up is to offer extra bonuses. Buy , at cost, some extras and then raffle them off to customers.

Send a monthly market day newsletter w/ each flyer. Thank the families that purchased. Thank the people who volunteered. Choose an item that's on special or a popular item and highlight it... ex: Our customers love the supersweet corn! Don't use their template. It's boring. Make it specific for your school.

And the biggest suggestion I have is to NAME WHAT YOU ARE RAISING MONEY FOR.... oops, I shouted that! :) If you don't specify what you are fundraising for, you lower your participation. If Market Day money is buying technology- say it. If it's funding field trips- say it. If it's to buy PE or Art or Music equipment- say it. You'lll have people that participate for that very reason.

I'm pretty sure the school does it. Ours splits 65/35 in favor of the student, so the potential is there for it to really add up since both of our local groceries, the drugstore, Kmart, the local hardware store, the movie theater, the gas station... basically everywhere we spend money on a regular basis participates. Even Disney; I'll probably use Scrip cards instead of my debit to pay off our next trip since the reward percentage is better! :rotfl:

We are no longer allowed for any scrip money to be credited directly back to the student. I honestly can not remember why - but I think it had to do with our tax exempt status? Anyway I am in MO and we had to stop running the program like that about 2 years ago. We still use it and make money for our school. Each family is required to buy so much. I am thankfully not in charge of it so can't give you anymore details. But wanted interested people to know that the 65/35 might not work everywhere.

I am co-chair of the market day at our school. We are a small community and average about 50 orders per month but are looking for ways to get more orders. Does anyone have any ideas?

I edited my title because the thread started to include other fundraising ideas and it would be great to hear about any other fundraising ideas your schools have been successful with so that we can all stop buying gift wrap and junk we dont need or want.

Your market day rep should be giving you ideas on increasing your orders. He/She have monthly sales meetings where all the reps share their best practices. Are you having your rep sample at BTS fairs and other school events all year long to drum up new customers? Also calling all the PTA/PTO members the day before orders are due and reminding them to order. The teachers are also great customers, so focus on them as well. Your rep gets things to sample at most sales also, so they should be doing that to increase current orders.

Some PPs stated it is too expensive and I disagree.I spend over a $100 each sale, I trust market day products and I love the freezer packaging that several items have. It saves me from using my food saver. If I take 2 bags of chicken breasts and seperate them and use food saver bags the cost of the food saver bags added to the chicken equals to what you pay for the same number market day chicken steaks.

Kroger, Meijer and Gordon Food Services all offer programs that give back to the school in the community.

At Kroger I just need to purchase a gift card from the PTA, add my grocery $$$ to it each week, shop and the school gets a % back.

At Meijer, we just have a card to scan.

At GFS, we just tell them the name of the school.

Simple ways for the families to help out, without purchasing anything they wouldn't already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter