Marion, IL to Disney

spfldfan

Earning My Ears
We will be driving from Marion, IL to Disney. Has anyone taken I-65 from Nashville to Montgomery, AL and then 231 over to I-10 to I-75? If we use the other route of I-75 through Atlanta, we are afraid we will hit it on a Friday at primetime(after 3:00p.m.) and someone said this route is about the same timewise? Any suggestions? Thanks.

DON'T DO IT!!!!! We tried that route in June and it added over 2 hours to our drive time. Can you adjust your departure time or stop for a meal to hit Atlanta at a different time?

Your routing has been the topic of numerous discussions here on Disboards and there are those who like it and those that don't. I've traveled the I-65 routing before and it does probably take longer because that stretch from Montgomery to Cottondale, Florida, although 4 lanes divided, is subject to a lower speed limit, speed traps, traffic lights in some of the towns and traffic congestion on the infamous Dothan traffic circle.

BobK/Orlando

We live in Central Illinois and took that route ONCE and because the Olympics were in Atlanta. I HATED it - it seemed to take forever and a day longer and I think even with the Olympics I would go right through Atlanta.

We try to think about when we will be going through Atlanta but honestly we don't let it affect our leave time by much because its 12 hours from where we are and a number of things can happen in that span of time that could change when we are actually going through so what we do is leave when we want but as we get closer go ahead and decide to forge through or kill some time with a meal before we hit it hoping the traffic rush is over.

Either way we have found that Atlanta rush hour (if going straight through and not using a bypass) is usually less of a problem than Nashville or some random accident anywhere along the way that has stopped traffic or construction or well you get the idea.

Liz

Is the extra few hours mainly the slower speed on 231? It only looks like an additional 60 miles on google maps.

That's what I thought. There was construction that I didn't anticipate that might be over now. The speed limit varies on 231 - 55,40,30,50 - it was endless. When we finally got to Tallahassee , where we spent the night, we were talking to the guys at the desk who told us that was pretty much the worst route we could have taken.

We had taken 75 thru Atlanta on a prior trip and it was a cakewalk compared to 231.

One "plus" of traveling via Alabama instead of Georgia is that you cross the border into Florida about 3 hours earlier than otherwise. So it "seems" like you've arrived even though you still have a long way to go. Likewise going home via Georgia, you depart Florida just a few hours after leaving Orlando so it "seems" like you're making progress.

If you want to, why not head south via Alabama and north via Georgia and see something different each way. The routing via US 231 and I-10 will get you to your destination and you'll know next time how good it was.

BobK/Orlando

We're driving this year, the first time in many, many years, and we've decided to drive through the Asheville area (spend the night because we're leaving on a Thursday around 4:00 p.m.) and on through Savannah and then to St. Augustine (where we'll spend the next night) and then on to DW. We'll do some sight-seeing in St. Augustine before going on to DW. We decided we'd like to see something different on this drive down and avoid the Atlanta area. We live across the river from Louisville so our trip will begin on 64. Of course, we'll be doing the Atlanta thing on the way back. :scared1:

My sister lives in Birmingham, Alabama, so I have occasionally driven to see her and then continued to Florida. In March my sister and I drove together to FL, and we went through southern AL on the way there. I really HATE driving around Dothan! My sister said she didn't like Atlanta traffic or driving on I-75, but I convinced her to give the I-75 to Atlanta route a try, and it wasn't bad. I couldn't tell you if it was any faster, because we drove to Cocoa, FL on the way down and returned from WDW - which is a shorter distance any way. But it was more enjoyable to not have the city traffic in Dothan and Montgomery to deal with.

We will be driving from Marion, IL to Disney. Has anyone taken I-65 from Nashville to Montgomery, AL and then 231 over to I-10 to I-75? If we use the other route of I-75 through Atlanta, we are afraid we will hit it on a Friday at primetime(after 3:00p.m.) and someone said this route is about the same timewise? Any suggestions? Thanks.

My Dad (age 75) made the trip to Central Florida using the route you mentioned -- he recommended it for anyone wanting to avoid Atlanta, altogether.

I would also be curious to hear from some of you "US 231 Veterans" about potential obstacles (traffic signals, etc.), as I have a trip of own coming-up soon...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter