Marine Mammal Keeper Report

seashell724

DIS Veteran
I was looking for info. on this experience before I left and had such a hard time finding anything! Thus, my report for others. Enjoy!

Marine Mammal Keeper Part 1

We were staying outside of Orlando so I woke up at 5 am to give myself and my husband enough time to get ready and get there in time. I had some major bags under my eyes but was so pumped to get going. We left at exactly 5:30 am to give us plenty of time to get to Sea World for our 6:30 meeting time. Now, we got to the park at about 6:15 and the only problems of the day began. No specific instructions on where to meet were in our itinerary so we First we drove to a large parking lot. We saw two lone guys using a golf cart to clean the area and they told us we were supposed to go to another meeting place. We drove around looking for what they were talking about and were getting worried about time. We found the second lot they told us to go to but couldn’t get in because all the gates were down and spots roped off. I saw one worker on his way somewhere and jumped out of the car to go talk to him. He said he didn’t know where we were supposed to meet but that the gates never open this early. I asked if I could move a cone and drive our car to preferred parking for the day. He said it was fine and helped us in. Well, we got out and walked up to the black park (main entrance.) We waited for a bit and I was getting really frustrated because it was already 6:30 by this time. There were two really nice workers who barely spoke English who I was asking if we were supposed to be here. They had no idea and went about their business. 5 minutes later I asked if they could please radio someone and find out where we should go. Well, they were just so great. One guy had already been on the phone finding this out without us asking! He told us where to go and explained it very well. We started about a 5 minute walk to where we should meet. They drove by again and pointed us in the right direction. Their kindness was amazing. So, we got there at 6:40 to the security booth. We had to wait a few minutes for our guide who was named Devi. Of course we apologized for being late profusely. Then we went with her to a trailer near some holding tanks for the animals. By the time we got in there and out again it was about 10 to 7. We had missed bottle feeding a baby manatee. There was one other woman in our group that day. The first thing we did was meet the otters. They were in cages and kinda smelt funny. They were loud and kinda cute but not the highlight of my day. We helped feed them and asked lots of questions. Then we went over to the two different dolphin tanks. One had the “misfit” dolphins who get along really well together (probably about 5 or 6) but not with all the other dolphins. Then we saw a separate pool with a mom and about 5 month old baby. They were not in the nursery because they had a lot of health trouble since right after the birth. We found out that later on that day we would be moving the dolphin named Starky over to the pool to keep the mom and baby company. We made one more stop to see a sea turtle that had some of his shell missing due to a boat accident. I did not know this but Sea World takes in a lot of animals that need to be rehabilitated.

We then moved on to another area. The manitees! We opened about 7 boxes of iceberg lettece and spinach to feed them. We threw pound and pound of it in and watched them come to eat. After that we went below to view them where the tourists all come each day. We spent time going over their body structure and habits for quite a while.

After this we were taken to a trailer to get on our bathing suits and wet suits. I chose to wear my top down for the most part. You can also wear a tee shirt if you like. We went back over to the dolphin “misfit” tank to wait to move Starky. We waited as they had problems draining the pool. Finally we met Nick who was so nice. Him and a lot of other employees went down into the tank to try and get Starky in a sling to move. They had a few problems because the pool didn’t drain enough and there was enough water for him to keep jumping over the net. He was so powerful and fast! But, these dolphins are all used to being moved so there were not scared.

I have to say at this point that all the employees were SO nice to us all day. Everyone treated us like one of them. Walter (?) a really great guy came up to talk to us while they tried to drain the pool some more. He answered any questions we had and gave us so much information.

Finally they were ready. Starky was lifted up in the air and we ran over to watch him being lowered. Him and his new mini-pod got along great. It was amazing to see them being so graceful together.

The park had just opened and we went to a dolphin food prep room. They showed us how vitamins are put in fish, expained how they keep track of all the dolphins and how much they are eating as well as what vitamins they are getting each day. After this we went out to help feed and do a demonstration with the dolphins. Being breeding time they were not the most cooperative! We were split into two groups. All people who had been petting/feeding them were asked to step back so that we could do this. We made them do commands and then rewarded them with fish. A photographer came out and took pictures of us during this time. We did this for about 15 minutes or so. Then we went in and washed up while records were taken of what dolphin was present and how much they ate.

Next on our agenda was to go to the Dolphin Nursery. We got to go to behind the ropes, interact and have all questions answered by Devi.

Up Next: Part 2 (Wild Arctic, Sea Lions, Seals and Much more fun!)

Hi there! Thanks for reading. I hope to have the second part up tonight or tomorrow. I believe it cost $399 U.S.. It seems like a lot but it is so worth it. Plenty of free food, water, admission to Seaworld and a behind the scenes tour. Awesome!

Absolutely love your report! I hope you'll be able to get the rest of the trip up because im leaving in one day for Orlando and really want to read the rest of your trip. Thanks

Great report! I was there on 3/7 and didn't get to do the trainer for the day, but did get to do the beluga interaction. It was awesome, but I want to try the whole day now!:lovestruc

Part 2

So, we left off being at the dolphin nursery. Those little dolphins were so cute and I love watching the way the mothers and calves stay together while swimming. It was pretty sunny outside at this point.

After seeing the dolphin nursery with Devi we went to go see the Wild Artic display. We got to go behind the scenes to all of the buildings and see all of the food prep areas. When we got to the wild artic display all of the people who work in that area were in a meeting room going over manuals to renew their life guard, cpr and first aid status. They have to do this every year. Everyone that is hired there has cpr and first aid, is a qualified life guard and has to do a rigorous swim test with in the manatee area before even looking at other qualifications. IF they can’t pass this then they cannot work there. So, while some were finishing this up before showing us around we went in the Wild Artic building and took a look around at all of the animals and the displays. After this we went to meet three great girls who would show us around some more. We went into food prep and got 4 heavy buckets of fish to take out to the belugas! I was very excited to see these guys. It was kinda strange working with the belugas and having people stare at you from the other side of the display but I felt special anyway!

Good thing we had our wetsuits on because we had to kneel down on the rough terrain and do some behaviours with the belugas. Luckily the wetsuits had a lot of rubber on the knees so we were fine. I Never knew how squishy belugas are! Their body and especially their head feels rubbery but it is also REALLY squishy! Especially their heads. We got to feed them and had some pictures taken with them as well. Our trainer was around my age (mid twenties) and was so fun to work with. After working with the belugas we went back into the building and they brought 2 Seals in for us to work with!

The seals were very cooperative and I didn’t realize how smart they were! Unlike the Whales and dolphins the seals use auditory and visual training. They are more like dogs in that they understand our vocal clues we give them. I didn’t think they would be so fun to work with but they were amazing. They can do SO many different behaviours and work together as a team as well.

It was about lunch time at this point. We drove on the golf cart back to the trailer to change out of our wet suits. We got our lunch order in (we all had the grilled chicken on a croissant). Devi gave us Sea World Animal Care shirts to wear the rest of the day. She said that these are the shirts they wear when out on the river or ocean doing a rescue mission. That was really cool that we got them. She also gave us some books about Sea World to keep as well. We kept everything in our locker and went off to lunch.

The cafeteria was really nice! IT had big tv’s in it and everything. I would not mind having lunch there every day! Devi got us our lunch and we had free helpings of any pepsi product there is there. All the employees also get free drinks at all times. I didn’t expect the lunch to be so big! We got GIGANTIC cookie, sandwich, fruit cup and cole slaw. I think we may have gotten something else as well but I can’t remember. Even my husband who can eat for days without getting hungry was full afterward and he didn’t eat the cookie yet!

It was great to talk to Devi and the other woman with us. It was like making 2 new good friends. All of the other employees were also very kind.

After lunch we were off to work with the Sea Lions. We could not go in at first because a Sea Lion was having some behavioural issues so we went to explore their building and food prep room. As we were in the food prep room 3 guys dressed as pirates came in from finishing up a show! They had to clean all their own buckets and were talking to us and joking around. Everyone was so friendly!

So, it was time to go meet the Sea Lions. BOY ARE THEY BIG. We got to do different behaviours with two of them out of the water. We did kisses, felt them a lot to see how they are smooth but still have a coat of hair, did waving and even dancing! Then we went to go interact with more sea lions in the water. We feed them at this point. This was the worst part of the day for me. Most of the fish were frozen all day so I didn’t mind working with it. Right now these fish were not frozen, stunk SO bad and were all squishy from the heat. They were sitting and soaking up tons of blood in the bucket (as oppose to ice in the other buckets.) I sure gagged and did NOT want to finish that up. Luckily I pushed through that part. You would think we’d keep our wet suits on for the messy stuff but not for that. I didn’t get anything on me because I was careful!

We went out to see the Sea Lions on display and they went crazy thinking we would feed them. Not yet! We went to the back area and let a Sea Lion go out to join his friends. He had eye surgery and was still recovering. A lot of sea lions get cataracts in their eyes and need to have it fixed. This Sea Lion was not getting enough food because he would not stick up for himself in a pack. They discovered that after eye surgery he was sticking up for himself because of his increased confidence. We worked with 2 more Sea Lions in the back area and then let them out for the public to see.

Next up was feeding the Sea Lions in front of the public. We trekked out there and were told to throw the fish to particular Sea Lions so they could catch it. Now, if the other fish was to warm this fish was FROZEN solid. My hands got so cold at the end of the second bucket. We threw and threw some more as all of the Sea Lions yelped at us to send some their way! It was so funny seeing them get super excited. I thought some may come and climb right up to us.

After we were done there I took a quick bathroom break and it was back onto the Wild Artic again.

We met with a man who took us behind the scenes (but not into) the polar bear area. They were having play time and we got to learn a LOT about them.

Next was onto the Walrus. Holy Moly. That guy weighed over 3000 pounds. Can you believe it? It was the biggest thing! He had a very very low vocal range and eyes that popped out and looked as if he had goiter. But of course he didn’t. The thing was, he was just as smart as or even smarter than the Sea Lions and Seals! He loves to learn new behaviours and meet people. He came up to us sending water everywhere. Oh my gosh. I really don’t know how to describe how gigantic and smart he was. Just amazing. We spent quite a bit of time in there.

After this our day was ending. It was almost 2:30 so we went to get our things and Devi drove us out to the park. Some people had taken pictures only with the belugas and dolphins so we had the chance to purchase them. I wish I would have taken a waterproof camera in so I could have taken my own pictures at every stop. We said goodbye and looked over the pics. (Which were not that well done but I got the CD anyway to remember the good times.)

We wandered about the park for a few minutes. I had wanted to see some shows but the ones we went to were already full and I was not about to wait until dinner time to see them. We went through some gift shops and to see the penguins. Boy, after having a behind the scenes tour I felt smushed with all the people there. So, we went to find our car. Which we lost and finally re-found.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about what a great day it was and what they do at Sea World. IF you have any questions please let me know via here or PM.

Coachshoes-I hope that you get to read this in time. My internet has been down all day so I could not get on earlier. I hope you have a really fun trip!

Joy-Did you love the beluga interaction? Weren't they so awesome?! The only thing I wish was different about the whole day is that we couldn't work with the Orcas. They used to allow it when they had more but now because they have so few they only allow the trainers in. Perhaps they do not want to overstimulate them.

Thanx for the great review! :thumbsup2 DGD turns 13 this year and the only gift she requested is to "finally" be able to do the MMKE at Sea World (she's been waiting 3 years to reach the minimum age). Now she'll know what to expect for her day. And I feel a little better about the price - sounds like you really got your $$$ worth.

So that we don't have the same problem getting in that you had, can you give us a little more information about where you were to meet? The security booth?

Can you post some of your pictures for us?

This sounds so amazing!!!! I am really glad you posted this because I really want to do this now. I did the Safari at Busch Gardens where we got to feed giraffes and zebras and all sorts of other savannah animals, which was so wonderful. I felt like I really connected with the giraffes, you got to pet them and they gave you kisses. It actually made me cry it was so intense. (But then again I am a sap!) We also went to Discovery Cove and did the dolphin swim which was really cool, except my dolphin got hit in the head with a branch while we were swimming due to a storm coming. I felt so bad! But we also got to interact with a giant tortoise and amardillo, both which were very cute and friendly. But now I am really excited about doing this. I just have to convince my husband to pay!!! HA HA:banana:

Thanks so much for letting us share in your adventure. The belugas are awesome and yes, I would have loved getting up close and personal with the orcas! That would be the icing on the cake. Maybe one day...
I also love DC, that is just one relaxing day. I can't wait to go back!;)

Glad you all enjoyed reading and I hope that you all do get to go and try this experience.

Instructions to where you are supposed to check in.

When you are driving and you see the first Sea World entrance on your RIGHT, turn to that right.

You will then see a sign that indicates you can to drive ahead to where buses and taxis and cars go. Do not go that far!

There will be a left hand turn before that. You should see a little white security booth and yellow arm that you go through. Tell the security why you are there adn you can park for free. This is considered GATE 1.

So, even if you do get lost ask for GATE 1.

The confirmations Sea World will send you will not have instructions on where to go so remember this!

Also, if you call for assistance before you go on your trip you can ask for the Education Centre. They will help you out if you have any questions if customer service does not know.

Thanks for the report! I've wanted to do this program for awhile but haven't had the chance yet. Can you post your pictures? I would love to see them!

I wish I had a ton of pictures but i Don't.

I didn't think to buy a waterproof camera before we went there and it is best you don't carry your good camera around with you.

They do take some pictures while you are feeding some dolphins and with the belugas but they are un-posed and well, though it is neat to have them, they aren't really that great. I bought them because I thought it would be worth it but now that I'm back I should have gone with my first impression and saved the money because they aren't very good. Not close, can't properly see our faces in all of them and other tourists are in some of them. :(

Thank you again for the report, i checked the internet 2 days before so i did see the second part. The Marine Mammal Keeper experience was the best $400 bucks i have ever spent. It was so amazing and i absolutetly loved it. If i ever went back to Orlando i would do it again. It's worth every second. I will try to post some pictures later, but all i can say is its worth it! The only downside is that you only get pictures with the Dolphins and Belugas, but you do soooo much more!

I finally have my pictures up from Marine Mammal Keeper experience, one of my friends put them in a video for me. Please feel free to check it out:

youtube.com/watch?v=mCbGeDlH5Ng

btw. i would highly suggest this program for anyone intrested in working with animals. This was the best investment i've ever made on myself.

I have this experience booked for my daughter who wants to work with marine mammals. Just wanted to ask a few questions. What did you wear for shoes and is there a lot of walking involved? They allow you to bring a waterproof camera around during the experience? Do they allow you to bring a small bag during this experience to carry the camera, hat, etc.? Thanks for your time. Sounds like a wonderful adventure.

If memory serves me right I wore my Crocs when I was in my ordinary clothes and had brought a pair of Aqua Socks to go with the wet suit. I had brought my backpack, but was asked to leave it in the back office initially and once I went to get changed into the wet suit, I left it in the locker. I did not do a great deal of walking. They have a golf cart just for the programme and that cut out most of the walking.

dolphingirl47

There isnt really much walking. The two people i was with was wearing flip flops and then i was wearing gym shoes. You switch into your wet suit so they do give you bootie things for that part. absolutely no cameras are allowed, there will be a photographer for only the dolphin interaction and the beluga interaction which you are able to buy for $75 bucks at the end of the experience. You are able to have a bag, but right when you get in you have to put it away so theres no area for bags, i didnt even bring one. Not much walking, you get to ride in the golf cart! Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter