Margaritaville 11:00 PM Friday w/kids?

jojoromama

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody,
First, a big thank you to many of you. I have been lurking for a month reading and planning our family's first trip to Universal. We are a family of 6, kids are 18, 17, 11, and 10. We arrive in Orlando from Philly at 9:00 pm and are checking into Portofino Bay where we have 2 club deluxe adjoining queen rooms. Can't wait! Anyway, I figure we'll go over to Margaritaville as soon as we're checked in. We'll be starving! Do you think I need to make a priority seating for this time of night? Should I request the porch or inside? My kids are all good sports, night owls, with big appetites. No chicken fingers for this bunch. My husband and I will want to sit back and polish off a few margaritas and just unwind after the flight. Thanks for any help!

Hi everybody,
First, a big thank you to many of you. I have been lurking for a month reading and planning our family's first trip to Universal. We are a family of 6, kids are 18, 17, 11, and 10. We arrive in Orlando from Philly at 9:00 pm and are checking into Portofino Bay where we have 2 club deluxe adjoining queen rooms. Can't wait! Anyway, I figure we'll go over to Margaritaville as soon as we're checked in. We'll be starving! Do you think I need to make a priority seating for this time of night? Should I request the porch or inside? My kids are all good sports, night owls, with big appetites. No chicken fingers for this bunch. My husband and I will want to sit back and polish off a few margaritas and just unwind after the flight. Thanks for any help!
Here's a link that might help you: http://www.margaritavilleorlando.com/

Friday night during summer?...Should be packed. Have you done this before with the (younger) kids? I ask because in concept it sounds fun, but you all will probably be wiped out after the traveling and you risk starting off Saturday with a bunch of groggy/grumpy kids. Not to be a party pooper, but I'd hang out at PBH late Friday and then go full steam ahead Saturday and beyond. Just speaking from experience, but go with what you think the family can handle...

Have fun...

there will be live music on the porch and great people watching. unless it's too cold or too humid, we always do the porch...always.

Friday night during summer?...Should be packed. Have you done this before with the (younger) kids? I ask because in concept it sounds fun, but you all will probably be wiped out after the traveling and you risk starting off Saturday with a bunch of groggy/grumpy kids. Not to be a party pooper, but I'd hang out at PBH late Friday and then go full steam ahead Saturday and beyond. Just speaking from experience, but go with what you think the family can handle...

Have fun...

Thanks. We don't want to make a late night out of it, but we do need to eat somewhere. My kids will be too excited to stay in at the hotel. We're only at Universal for 2 nights before heading over to Disney for six. We have a reservation at Tchoup Choup for Saturday night. After reading here, I figured that a late dinner at Margaritaville would be a great way to start the vacation. Certainly, if the kids weren't up to it, we wouldn't go. Do you have any suggestions where else we could get dinner at that late hour? Thanks.

Thanks. We don't want to make a late night out of it, but we do need to eat somewhere. My kids will be too excited to stay in at the hotel. We're only at Universal for 2 nights before heading over to Disney for six. We have a reservation at Tchoup Choup for Saturday night. After reading here, I figured that a late dinner at Margaritaville would be a great way to start the vacation. Certainly, if the kids weren't up to it, we wouldn't go. Do you have any suggestions where else we could get dinner at that late hour? Thanks.

If Sal's is still open, you can order a pizza and eat at a table on the piazza.

Sal’s Market Deli
Sal’s offers a sensational assortment of Italian meats, cheeses, antipasto, fresh fruit, fresh baked pizzas, and salads….Grab a glass of wine or Italian beer, and enjoy the harbor.

Open daily from 11am - 11pm (subject to change based on seasonality.)

11P is tough one for all the on-sites. Room service would more than likely be your only food option. You should be able to get in and out easy enough at Margaritaville as long as there were no concerts/events that night. Eat out on the patio or it will be extremely loud at that time on a friday inside. You can make a PS but at 11P you really should be OK. If its crazy when you arrive I would head over to HRC and try your luck there.

Another option (and what we've done before when arriving late on the first day) is head over to HRH and eat at The Kitchen...it should be open til 11 and it's got good food and a cool vibe, plus you can take a look around the hotel (your teens should find it interesting). It's a short walk from PBH, you can get "your drink on", and it shouldn't be as crazy as CityWalk...we find it a fun way to build up anticipation for the next day, while saving a bit of time and energy for the remainder of the trip. Knowing that you have a whole week ahead of you at UO/WDW, it's even better not to push too hard the first night...I've learned this the hard way by subjecting my family (including grandma!) to "commando" style touring over the years.

I'd suggest a plan B and C since flying out of Philly is never easy and that could create a twist in you arrival plans...Even if you do land at 9, I'd assume you've checked luggage, so by the time you deplane, gather your belongings and travel over to PBH, it may be late enough that CityWalk is your only option (that's a quality problem though).

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time!!

In theory the idea sounds good. But in reality, you'll be tired.

The airport has food courts. You can grab something on the way to get your luggage. In the summer the parks open at 08;30am, but they don't say this. So you want to be up and going at 8am.

Yes, you'll have FOTL, but to get front seat rides on the coasters, you want to show up early. Then you go back to your room in the afternoon and start the party. Since you have club you'll have free drinks and snacks.

Otherwise I would tell people to stock the cooler before checking in.

Basically it's a two visit approach, one early in the morning to get front seat rides and less crowded walkways (lunch at Mythos), rest in the afternoon (pre game), visit a park at night and a restaurant at Citywalk.

Some people sleep in, skip the morning visit, and do a pool thing. That's fine, but I'd show up early to get front seat rides.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are going tomorrow and are very excited. I forgot that we are actually flying out of Atlantic City via Spirit Air. We got an unbelievable fare of $17.00 round-trip I know, sound too good to be true. I think we'll play it by ear. We've done Disney many times through the years and actually plan on doing most of our relaxing by the pools there. We do want to make the most of our time at Universal. I may end up cancelling Tchoup Choup for Saturday and going to Margaritaville then. The kids really want to eat at Margaritaville. Tchoup Choup has so many mixed reviews. At Disney we're on the Dining Plan, so we'll be eating fancy enough later in the week. Any opinions?
Thanks so much! After reading so many reviews and tr's I wish I had booked more time at Universal. Although, we'll be back to see Harry Potter!

Sal's rocks the pizza! We always head over there at some point and grab a couple. It's reasonably priced too! (added bonus)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter