Marching Band Parade Viewing

alleghator

Mouseketeer
In June 2017, my kids will be performing with their high school marching band in the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon parade. Has anyone done this before? I have no experience to draw from, as we usually skip the afternoon parade altogether and take advantage of lighter crowds elsewhere in the park.

Is there a "best place" to watch the parade for the bands? How early do we need to stake out a spot if we want curb-side on Main Street? Is it possible to catch them twice -- seeing them in Frontierland and then trying to make it over to Main Street or the Hub to see them again? How early do the band kids usually have to assemble prior to the parade? How soon after parade end would they be released to come back out to see us?

Thanks!

Be at your spot an hour before the scheduled parade start-time.

The guest band will PRECEDE the MK parade by about 15-25 minutes, depending on your location.

Less crowded than on Main Street, but still spectacular viewing can be found near the Hall of Presidents, or deep into Frontierland, past the Country Bears.

MK_ParadeRoute_092609.jpg

You can see them 2 or 3 times if you are quick and the park isn't crowded. I know - I did it in February. Get your spot across from Sleepy Hollow. I got there SO early because I was too excited to be doing anything else. As soon as the band goes by, take off behind you towards main street. (I practiced it earlier in the day so I'd know exactly where to go). If you are fast enough you get to main street in time to see them go by because they go around the loop by the castle. You won't be front row unless someone lets you in for a minute. Then I rushed down main street and saw them again because they do another loop by the entrance. YES - I am crazy but it was SO thrilling!! Enjoy it!!

We were there in 2013. I watched from the town square flag pole area--where they were directly facing me as they marched down Main Street. That way I could get pics of them with the castle in the background.

This only works for daytime marching. Night marchers seem to parade the opposite way so they would be heading towards the castle down main st. And the lighting stinks.

We are going with the band again this spring! Im already thinking ahead to my pictures because disney has already said we will likely me night marching.
But then they cancelled the electrical parade, so I'm hoping that means they won't schedule us at night anymore.

Been the chaperone twice. I found the best spot was by the hub as they were heading for he turn, right were they turn. Also right around that turn were you can get castle in background. We recorded them from several locations. We also did right by the Emporium watched as they came down the street and rounded corner then hi tailed it over by barber shop to take more pics. My DH has also filmed by Pecos Bills then hustled to main street to film again. Even we he went to the second location as it was still early he would ask politely if he could squeeze in front to film the band explaining his kids were marching, then of course it would move for the actual parade out of the way.

We have done the marching band twice. Our one son marched before the afternoon parade and the other before the nighttime one. We got a spot on main street about 1 1/2hr prior to the parade. It was Easter week and very crowded. Be aware that if the weather is bad (high winds, etc) they can reverse the parade. When my son marched before the afternoon parade it was supposed to come from Main street toward the Castle. We scoped out our spot on the side where we could see him well but about 10min before they were to march we heard a cast member say it was going to be coming from the Castle up main street. We had to rush to switch sides and some nice people let us step in front of them just to see the band. It made for cool pictures with the Castle behind them.

Both trips were a lot of fun. My kids are big Disney fans and loved being able to march there.

Thank you, everyone! Our trip is in June and we've been told we're marching immediately prior to the afternoon parade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter