Marching Band at Disney - tell me everything

NJ Cruisers

DIS Veteran
My son's high school band is going to march at Disney. I'm so excited. We go every year, but this will be a new experience and I can't do my usual planning. Some, but not the same.
I'd like to hear from everyone/anyone about your experiences. Things like
  • Do they give you the time of marching way ahead of time so you can plan other things around it?
  • How many kids do they put in each room?
  • Do you ever see your kids?
  • Can you book Fast Pass + for the kids or do they get their passes when they get there?
  • Did your kids spend most of their time in the parks or a lot at the pool?
  • Are the kids on their own all day when they aren't marching?
  • Is there time for pictures when they march? Or do they zip by like every other parade they are in?
  • I can't wait to hear anything you feel like writing about your adventure

I am a group tour director for a company that organizes trips for high school bands and choirs. Not just to Disney, but it's definitely a popular destination for us! I've already had three groups there this spring, and I've probably taken 15-20 over the past 5 years. Here are my best answers to your questions:
  • Do they give you the time of marching way ahead of time so you can plan other things around it?
Generally your director will know when in the day the group will march. It can be "before the afternoon parade" or "before the evening parade" or even, at the busiest times of year, mid-morning, not associated with any parade, just 2-3 high school bands marching through MK.
  • How many kids do they put in each room?
This is totally up to your director and travel planner, it has nothing to do with Disney. Most do 3-4 kids per room to keep the costs down. Some groups stay onsite (usually ASMu or Pop, but sometimes other resorts), some stay offsite. It's not just for budget reasons, either; some directors don't want to stay onsite because it is too easy for kids to do some extracurricular exploring with Disney transportation available! The rooms at values are quite small, especially for 4 kids, and they are motel-style, with doors directly to the outside. This can be a bit tough to chaperone. But the pools and food courts are great, and many groups do like to give the kids some freedom to park hop, with chaperone supervision.
  • Do you ever see your kids?
Of course! Would you be a chaperone, or just an adult along for a fun trip? Other than performances (parents are not permitted to accompany the performers backstage), most groups have tons of free time to explore the parks. Depends on the guidance provided by directors, but generally they do that in small groups and often meet parents to tour or share meals.
  • Can you book Fast Pass + for the kids or do they get their passes when they get there?
This depends on your travel company. We assign the ticket numbers to group members and send out a spreadsheet of those numbers at least 30 days before a trip, so they can enter the number into MDX and reserve FP+. We don't pass out the actual park passes until the group arrives, but that isn't important, the number is. Other companies don't do this, which definitely makes it difficult to get the best FPs, since you can't make them until the first day of the trip at the earliest.
  • Did your kids spend most of their time in the parks or a lot at the pool?
Again, this is up to the directors and chaperones. For example, this past week I was with a group at ASMu. We drove overnight from Indiana, spent the day at AK until about 4:30, then checked into the resort. Some groups of kids stayed and swam, others went to a park that night. The rest of the time, they were almost always in the parks. Kids can swim anywhere, but they can't be in a Disney park! Most directors would not allow kids to hang out at the resort during the day without chaperones, and would not encourage them to do it even supervised, in order to take best advantage of their park entitlements.
  • Are the kids on their own all day when they aren't marching?
Most groups I have had allowed the students to tour in small groups (never alone), checking in with chaperones occasionally either on cell phones or in person. If the group is staying offsite, they are usually required to all stay in the same park, and have a meeting time and place to get the bus back to the hotel. Some groups staying onsite give them a bit more choice about park and departure time in the evening, but as always, it is up to the director.
  • Is there time for pictures when they march? Or do they zip by like every other parade they are in?
There are some good spots for photos, but they are definitely moving fast. Evening parades are especially difficult to get good pics because of how fast they are moving, in low light.

Untitled by suegee57, on Flickr

It depends which direction they are marching where the best place to stand for pics is. If a group is marching up Main Street toward the castle, I usually stand at the edge of the hub to catch them coming up.

Then I go around and try to catch them coming around the hub in front of the castle.

If they are coming down Main Street toward Town Square, I usually try to get in the train station to get some good shots.

• I can't wait to hear anything you feel like writing about your adventure
Let me know if you have any questions, and be sure to ask your director and travel planner about the specifics for YOUR student's trip!

A couple more thoughts that came to me...

If you have a good travel planner (like us! hah), you might have some fun "extra" experiences. My last group had a buffet breakfast in DHS at the Backlot Express before the park opened, then got to ride TSMM two times before the crowd entered. It was awesome!

Then our final night we had a buffet dinner in Epcot on one of the patios by the bridge between France and the UK, then stayed there to watch Illuminations. On our way out of the park to get on the bus to drive overnight back to Indiana, we got a private ride on Soarin' after park closing.

These kinds of things are organized by your travel company.

For meals, some groups do Disney Dining cards (gift cards that can be used at any food place in the parks and resorts), and some do student meal vouchers (good for an entree, drink, and dessert at select quick service places in the parks and resorts). Some do a combination of the two. There are benefits to both ways. If you want more details and know what your group plans to do, I'd be happy to elaborate.

I know you did not ask about tickets for the family...Our school offered the families 4 day park hopper ticket for $199. They found out they could do it after some parents checked with them...

Sue
Do you know what quick service locations except the meal vouchers?

I was going to try to go by memory, but to be sure I was right, I asked one of the guys in my office to send me a pic of the back of one of the vouchers. So here you go:

So as a reminder, it is an meal, soft drink, and dessert from any of the locations on the list.

My son's high school band marched at Disneyland (not World) this past New Year's even before they marched in the Rose Parade on New Year's Day. Wanted to mention that they were given t-shirts with "Disney's Performing Arts" on it! Sponsored by Yamaha for 2014. Thought that was fun and by looking at auctions on Ebay, it looks like something that is done each year.

My son's high school band marched at Disneyland (not World) this past New Year's even before they marched in the Rose Parade on New Year's Day. Wanted to mention that they were given t-shirts with "Disney's Performing Arts" on it! Sponsored by Yamaha for 2014. Thought that was fun and by looking at auctions on Ebay, it looks like something that is done each year.

For 2015, they have switched to Mickey Ears that have "Disney Performing Arts" on them. The kids LOVE them! Many have taken them to the shop in DHS or Epcot (the one in the MK is too busy) to have their names embroidered.

This is true for all Disney parks, as I have had groups at both DL and WDW this spring. Here's a pic:

The GTCs (Guest Talent Coordinators) like to surprise the kids with the ears, so don't give the secret away!

Last edited:
For 2015, they have switched to Mickey Ears that have "Disney Performing Arts" on them. The kids LOVE them! Many have taken them to the shop in DHS or Epcot (the one in the MK is too busy) to have their names embroidered.

This is true for all Disney parks, as I have had groups at both DL and WDW this spring. Here's a pic:

The GTCs (Guest Talent Coordinators) like to surpise the kids with the ears, so don't give the secret away!

How fun! Guess that solves the problem with sizing. My son's band didn't get the shirts until after they were home.

How fun! Guess that solves the problem with sizing. My son's band didn't get the shirts until after they were home.

Yep, many years ago, when my oldest son marched at WDW in 2001, they gave t-shirts, but they were all XL! Then they switched at WDW to string bags, until this year. I had a long talk with one of the GTCs during a workshop this spring, and she said at first they were hesitant, with some worried that high school kids were "too cool" for Mickey ears. She laughed and said they needn't have worried, NO ONE is too cool for ears!

Sue - thanks so much for all that great information. So much fun reading it. I realize that each group will be different, but it's great to hear the options. I'm getting so excited for this trip and we don't go until next year. I'll have to sneak in a regular visit before then. I'm not involved in the planning of the band trip or picking the travel agent. I'm just one of the lowly parents that will find out information AFTER the leaders. That's why I'm trying to get some info here.

fac - $199 for 4 days is fantastic. If they don't offer something like that I'll push them to look into it.

My daughter just went this past January. We did not get the parade time until a few weeks before and it was right in the middle of the day at MK. It really cut a lot of their time there that day. It was a very quick 2 minute video that I took of them coming past us on Main Street. Outside of that, she had the rest of the days just to explore. They stayed offsite and really had no pool time, every waking minute was spent at a park. They never made rope drop and could not get fastpassess until 2 weeks before because we did not have their tickets to link to mde until then. They too had vouchers for counter service meals but she still needed more money as it was not enough. We went, but not as chaperones and I am so glad we did. We could have spent all day with her if we wanted, but chose to let her have her time with her friends, meeting up only a few times. As for the ears, only one band member actually received them and it was my daughter. They asked the band who was a big Disney fan and her friends pushed her to the front as she definitely is. Guess it was her lucky day.

I've done 2 trips

Since others have given you good advise I'll just add this is not going to be a regular Disney trip so just go with the flow.

My daughter just went this past January. We did not get the parade time until a few weeks before and it was right in the middle of the day at MK. It really cut a lot of their time there that day. It was a very quick 2 minute video that I took of them coming past us on Main Street. Outside of that, she had the rest of the days just to explore. They stayed offsite and really had no pool time, every waking minute was spent at a park. They never made rope drop and could not get fastpassess until 2 weeks before because we did not have their tickets to link to mde until then. They too had vouchers for counter service meals but she still needed more money as it was not enough. We went, but not as chaperones and I am so glad we did. We could have spent all day with her if we wanted, but chose to let her have her time with her friends, meeting up only a few times. As for the ears, only one band member actually received them and it was my daughter. They asked the band who was a big Disney fan and her friends pushed her to the front as she definitely is. Guess it was her lucky day.

For the ears, I'm sure the directors got them for every participant - it's Disney Performing Arts policy. Every performer receives the gift. As the tour director, I confirm the number of performers, count the items, and sign the receipt for the GTC. The directors may have chosen to keep them for another time.

As for not receiving ticket numbers until two weeks before the trip, some travel companies handle that differently. We know how important it is to our clients to make those reservations, so we make sure they have the numbers as early as we can.

Not making rope drop and not spending much time at an offsite hotel are VERY typical of band trips. The director sits down with the travel company and works out a schedule, but of course the goal is to get the most value out of the park passes. Yes, they are discounted, but they certainly aren't cheap! So most groups, especially those offsite, have very little time at the hotel. There is also the factor that even good kids can tend to get in trouble with too much unstructured free time!

I can also assure you that the director knew the general performance time long before two weeks before the trip. That schedule is the "anchor" around which the rest of the schedule is based.

For meal vouchers, some groups cover every meal with the vouchers or dining cards, and others just cover one each day. That is driven by the group's budget, mostly.

Glad you had fun and that the trip was fun for your daughter!

A couple more thoughts that came to me...

If you have a good travel planner (like us! hah), you might have some fun "extra" experiences. My last group had a buffet breakfast in DHS at the Backlot Express before the park opened, then got to ride TSMM two times before the crowd entered. It was awesome!

These kinds of things are organized by your travel company.

For our first trip we did a breakfast at a pavilion somewhere near the Sumerland Mini golf where a Disney performer gave a talk and then Mickey Made an appearance. I don't know who planned this, I assumed it was something Disney did. We did not use a Travel Company since it cut the cost by about 30%.

For meals, some groups do Disney Dining cards (gift cards that can be used at any food place in the parks and resorts), and some do student meal vouchers (good for an entree, drink, and dessert at select quick service places in the parks and resorts). Some do a combination of the two. There are benefits to both ways. If you want more details and know what your group plans to do, I'd be happy to elaborate.

Unless something has changed, the Vouchers are a terrible deal. They cost around same as an average CS meal and if they don't get the dessert or the salad included in the meal it was wasted. Also we had kids 7-12th grade. Some skinny 7th grade girls live on soft pretzels and ice cream.

Not making rope drop and not spending much time at an offsite hotel are VERY typical of band trips.

Yes we never even came close to RD and the last day our Director decided that we would sleep in on the last day. It was our DHS day :scared1: we didn't get to TSM to get FPs (old system) until 10:30. Luckily at was a dead time at the end of Feb.

For our first trip we did a breakfast at a pavilion somewhere near the Sumerland Mini golf where a Disney performer gave a talk and then Mickey Made an appearance. I don't know who planned this, I assumed it was something Disney did. We did not use a Travel Company since it cut the cost by about 30%.

You're right, that was a Disney thing. They used to do that breakfast for all the groups, when it was called Magic Music Days. I think they stopped it 5-6 years ago? I remember my kids enjoying it, though, because they got to meet kids from other schools. And of course the presenters got everyone fired up!

Unless something has changed, the Vouchers are a terrible deal. They cost around same as an average CS meal and if they don't get the dessert or the salad included in the meal it was wasted. Also we had kids 7-12th grade. Some skinny 7th grade girls live on soft pretzels and ice cream.

I concur with this, for the most part. I prefer the dining cards, because those can be used anywhere and don't have to all be used at once. So with a $15 card, you could get an $11 meal, then have $4 for a Mickey bar later! Also, if you want to splurge on a more expensive meal, you can use the card toward the bill.

I will say that when I DO have a voucher to use, it has become a game to me to maximize the value. You're right, they cost something like $15, so my goal is to use it somewhere that has a) something I like (duh), and b) a meal that is worth much more than $15! So far my best finds are at Broadway Bakery and Contempo Cafe -- each place has a tasty lobster roll, and that plus a cupcake plus a drink adds up to $25-26! I just smile and hand over my voucher...

I concur with this, for the most part. I prefer the dining cards, because those can be used anywhere and don't have to all be used at once. So with a $15 card, you could get an $11 meal, then have $4 for a Mickey bar later! Also, if you want to splurge on a more expensive meal, you can use the card toward the bill.

I will say that when I DO have a voucher to use, it has become a game to me to maximize the value. You're right, they cost something like $15, so my goal is to use it somewhere that has a) something I like (duh), and b) a meal that is worth much more than $15! So far my best finds are at Broadway Bakery and Contempo Cafe -- each place has a tasty lobster roll, and that plus a cupcake plus a drink adds up to $25-26! I just smile and hand over my voucher...

When we had the vouchers in 06 there was only a limited list you could use them at. It was basically Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bill for MK and one other place that only opened seasonally (no CHH), Electric Umbrella or Liberty Inn at Epcot (nothing in the WS) and Pizza Planet and the area around Rosie's at DHS. Of course it also included the CS at the resorts but we were off site.

When we had the vouchers in 06 there was only a limited list you could use them at. It was basically Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bill for MK and one other place that only opened seasonally (no CHH), Electric Umbrella or Liberty Inn at Epcot (nothing in the WS) and Pizza Planet and the area around Rosie's at DHS. Of course it also included the CS at the resorts but we were off site.

Wow, that is limited! If I didn't have CHH at MK, I'd be lost.... You can see from the pic of the voucher I posted above that they have at least expanded the choices somewhat.

I admit that even when my group is staying offsite, I often go to a resort for a meal or two. I realize that kids and chaperones often cannot do that!

Wow, that is limited! If I didn't have CHH at MK, I'd be lost.... You can see from the pic of the voucher I posted above that they have at least expanded the choices somewhat.

I admit that even when my group is staying offsite, I often go to a resort for a meal or two. I realize that kids and chaperones often cannot do that!

As i now recall it did include the old Noodle place in Tomorrow land. But I do remember a few going to CHH and commenting that they just paid OOP since it was their tradition.

I also didn't get the vouchers until We were there. I was scrambling to make sure my oldest very picky son had a place to get chicken strips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter