March Trip - Mardi Gras & Express Pass Questions

Tiggr88

Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion
I am planning a trip for a group of 7, including myself, my sister and her husband, their kids age 20+. 14, 4 & 4 (twins). Right now, they are staying at All Star Movies from 3/17 - 3/24. They will have a car. I am staying at All Stars Movies 3/17 - 3/22, leaving early Wednesday morning.

They have been to Disney once before without the youngest ones, but not to Universal. This may be their only trip back. One of the main reasons for the trip is to get the 14 yo and my sister to see the HP sections at US/IOA. Right now, her, myself, oldest daughter 20's and the 14 yo would do US/IOA. The youngest and her husband would probably take a pool day back at ASMo. There really doesn't appear to be much for the 4yo's to do, as one of them is not yet 36" and looks like they can't even do Cat in the Hat.

My sister and her 14yo are not big thrill ride people. So this would be mostly HP sections and simulator type rides. I'm thinking MIB, Simpsons, ET, Shrek and Minions, mostly US. At IOA, they could do Seussland, and maybe Spiderman and Jurassic Park. But the real emphasis is HP.

The last couple of times I've been to US/IOA with my family, we have stayed at the HRH for several days and had the unlimited express passes. I need some help determining the best way to do this on this trip and have many questions I'm hoping you can help with.

Mardi Gras

It looks like Mardi Gras is now every day during the time we will be there. The website says that the US rides come down when the parade starts? Is that correct, does it include Diagon Alley? What time is the parade? If early, what time do the rides start up again? Looks like the park closes at 8. Does that make the crowds much worse on Sunday than during the week?

Crowds & Express Pass

How are the crowds this week? What kinds of waits should we expect? I'm trying to decide if we need express passes or not. They would probably be fine with the one ride passes, since they are not big thrill riders and if we do this in one day, there wouldn't be a lot of time for multiple rides anyway. I know if we stick to HP, we can get this done in one day. With express pass, could we get this most of the rides I mentioned in as well in one day? That might still be better than trying to do a second day.

Right now, the one ride pass is 65 and the unlimited is 85. Is it more expensive day of? Do the prices ever rise as we get closer or do they sell out?

Are there any rides other than HP that are excluded? Kong?

Combo Pass

If I want to commit to a specific day, I know I can get a single day ticket & unlimited EP combo that would be the same price as the separate one park and one ride EP ($155 ticket + $65 one ride pass = $220 per person), basically turning the one ride EP into an unlimited for the same cost. Committing to two days does basically the same thing. A two day ticket + 2 day single ride is 365 and a two day combo is 360.

Can the combo passes be upgraded? If I buy a 1 day combo for $220, can it be upgraded to the 2 day for $365 while I am there if I decide that I can't get everything done?
Can I buy the one day combo at $220 and then "upgrade" to a second day without the EP? If I buy the 1 day combo for $220, can I add a day for $100, which is the difference between a 1 day regular admission price ticket ($155) and a 2 day regular admission ($255)?

Are the combos only available for pickup at window or kiosk? What about regular tickets or EP's. do you need to stop at the window or kiosk? If so, who needs to be there? Could I get all tickets if I am there Friday night? If we were all there, could we get them all Friday night and then not use them until Sunday or Monday? I'd hate to waste time in the morning since we'll already be commuting from Disney.

EE Park

Is there any way to tell which park will be EE that week? According to the website, it looks like Nov and Dec were US and January appears to be IOA, but they don't have anything listed as EE after that.

Sorry for all the questions, this is becoming challenging to plan. We usually avoid doing both US and Disney on the same trip for ticket price reasons, but it really can't be avoided here. Originally, it was only going to be the older kids and we thought just a few days at US, but with the youngest now coming, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at US.

I'm still toying with the idea of staying at US for a night or two, but the hotel prices on-site gave me sticker shock. Even with APH discounts, RPH is 260 and we'd still have to buy tickets. Plus we need 3 rooms. We could stat at SF for EE and to save on commute time, but still need the tickets and EP if needed. then have to pack and move.

I suggest doing Universal during the week for lesser crowds during Mardi Gras.

I'm not sure about upgrading the combo tickets. It seems like hardly anyone ever uses those, so I don't think we have ever had anyone report back on them.

You can pick up everyone's tickets at a kiosk if you have all the appropriate purchasing information.

The Early Admission calendar usually only posts a few months at a time.

Sounds like you are going at a busy time. You'll have to decide what is more important for you. To find out what kind of crowds that Universal expects during your time, check the express pass prices. They are priced according to expected crowds.

Express pass is not good on Forbidden Journey, Gringott's, Pterandon Flyers and Kang and Kodo's (in Springfield.). They are good on Kong.

Last edited:
Thanks. Right now I expect to go to Universal on Monday 3/20 and leave 3/22 as optional if anyone wants to go back.

According to the website, it is still value season for the express passes, but the hotels seem expensive already like they may be in spring break pricing territory.

If I wait until I am there, will the EP still be available and at the same price? Or do they typically sell out?

Thanks for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter