March hours cut

When it comes down to it...we still did pay more for going in march then we would have in January. Yes, back in December when i booked this trip I knew i was paying peak prices BUT I also knew that Blizzard Beach was going to be opened, there was a E-Night, the hours were longer, and so on.....its a heck of feeling finding out two weeks before are going that your plans are going to change. I understand Disney is hurting with today's economy but I am also hurting in my paycheck yet i still have to pay the prices for hotels and parks.

Originally posted by Fantasmic303
When it comes down to it...we still did pay more for going in march then we would have in January. Yes, back in December when i booked this trip I knew i was paying peak prices BUT I also knew that Blizzard Beach was going to be opened, there was a E-Night, the hours were longer, and so on.....its a heck of feeling finding out two weeks before are going that your plans are going to change. I understand Disney is hurting with today's economy but I am also hurting in my paycheck yet i still have to pay the prices for hotels and parks.

I understand. You read something that has a disclaimer that it could be changed and it was and you're upset. You could cancel and see if thee is a better rate or change to offsite. It seems as though you have a built your trip in your head and no matter how good it is it won't be enough. Look at your options and make your best choice.

You should feel lucky, what about those people who don't use the DIS that will find out upon arrival.

After braving the Easter crowds last year AND paying peak prices, I am relieved to hear that crowds are expected to be much lower when I go 3/8-3/12. We were there last year the week after Easter for 12 days and didn't get to do everything we wanted to do. I will never go back during a holiday. The parks were open late, but the crowds made enjoying them very difficult. Most of our time was spent just trying to get from point A to point B, then waiting 45 min. or longer to enjoy a ride. We still had a great time, it is Disney, after all, but I think I would be willing to pay more to go during a slow time than pay less and go during a busy time.

Just my 2 cents!:)

Originally posted by Eeyore2U
You should feel lucky, what about those people who don't use the DIS that will find out upon arrival.

Mitch has a point...consider yourself lucky that you have this information.

And, as he said earlier, if this is such a huge problem, cancel your trip.

Do you have any idea of how many people are not getting to go to Disney World this year because of the economy, their fear of travel, or their fear of the impending war?

It's staggering.

i have to say that since i'm leaving next week, i am disappointed about the changes
however, i am extremely grateful to have found out here first so that i could change my itinerary around ahead of time.
who knows, maybe they'll change they're minds again once i'm down there!

I guess since the cut hours and less parades, Disney HAS decided to give some deals. They are offering packages now for March at a good discount. DC members can get an extra 100 off a Dream Maker package. I guess that is to compensate for the cut hours and less parades. Disney must be trying to get more people onsite. Hope this helps!!!:)

?

People who are able to go should not be dissapointed about the cut hours; park closing; and cancelled shows because they know about it in advance? They should feel lucky about that? Sorry, I don't get it.

I know I wouldn't feel so lucky. I also know that it took a while to be able to save and plan for my trip and luck had nothing to do with it. I don't know how many people are not going to be able to go to WDW this year but I do know I wasn't able to go last year....or the year before....or the year before....

And I'm still not sure what all that has to do with Disney announcing hours & events, then cutting them back just 10 days later, and why anyone should feel lucky about it.

Originally posted by JJS2K3
?

People who are able to go should not be dissapointed about the cut hours; park closing; and cancelled shows because they know about it in advance? They should feel lucky about that? Sorry, I don't get it.

I know I wouldn't feel so lucky. I also know that it took a while to be able to save and plan for my trip and luck had nothing to do with it. I don't know how many people are not going to be able to go to WDW this year but I do know I wasn't able to go last year....or the year before....or the year before....

And I'm still not sure what all that has to do with Disney announcing hours & events, then cutting them back just 10 days later, and why anyone should feel lucky about it.

You should feel how you want to feel. I'm giving you MY observation. I would be thrilled to know something was going to change so I could change my plans accordingly.

As far as you not getting it, I understand that too. In your world it is about you and your trip. What you did and how you did it and and how long it took you to accomplish it. I said it earlier. We are victims of our expectations. If you don't think your expectation will be met maybe you need to rethink your trip.

Funny thing is that for all of the complaints last year by people prior to their trips most came back thrilled with their visit.

Victims of expectations? No, I think it's more that we're all becoming victims of lowered expectations. Expect less, pay more for it, and if you don't like it then tough, don't do it.

I'm going in May, Maybe if I'm 'lucky' I can find out ahead of time that they closed a park alltogether - this way I could plan some rest ;)

Seriously, I'm going for 12 days so we'll get to see & do anything we want. I was just being empathic to the folks who made all their plans based on the schedule only to have it reduced so much just 10 days later and so soon before they leave. Lucky devils ;)

Anyway, don't you have a limo to catch :)

Have fun!

Originally posted by JJS2K3
Anyway, don't you have a limo to catch :)

Well they did just call to confirm the 4:30am pickup! :teeth:

>Well, this upsets me because we had planned our itnerary around having every available second in the parks lol. We had also planned on going to Blizzard Beach, and now, with the parks closing so early and BB being delayed, we're wondering why we paid so much for "ULTIMATE" Park hoppers. There won't really be enough time for us to Park hop, the parades are getting cancelled, and we're only going to be able to get into one water park, which, naturally, is going to be packed with people because it's the only one.

And with hours being cut and things being closed, does anyone know why we're paying for "peak" season??

*sigh*

This isn't how I intended to start my vacation.<

FWIW, I'm with you. You paid extra for something that has failed to materialize.

Let me see if I understand this: A person pays a premium for peak season with all the extra hours and water parks. Peak season turns out not to be, so the extra hours and water parks are taken away. But Disney still takes the extra money. Sorry, from where I see it, the extra money should be refunded.

And, yes, I would expect a refund from another business.

I understand both points here, but I still feel those of us who are traveling within the next few weeks have every right to be frustrated with Disney's handling of this matter. As others have said, not everyone is fortunate enough to visit Disney often enough to not be disappointed when they're not able to see things they'd hoped to. Myself, it's been 6 years since my last Disney visit, and the way things are going, there's no guarantee that it won't be another 6 years before my next one. Victims of of our expectations? Probably. But try explaining that to a 4 year old who had her heart set on seeing the "light parade".

And, as far as the question of whether I'd expect it from another business....the answer is yes, and I've seen the compensations happen. I'm from CT, and a frequent visitor of NYC. After 9/11, the city was begging people to come and visit. They didn't stop producing Broadway shows or shut down restaurants and shops - they encouraged people to visit. They offered steep ticket discounts, free meals, coupons, hotel resort upgrades - many different things to bring tourists back to the Big Apple. Hotels were thankful to the people who had held their reservations, despite the state of the city, and restaurant owners were known to provide a drink or two on the house, just to say "thanks for sticking with us".

(Yeah, I know....New Yorkers are well known for their heart and hospitality, and we can't expect that from all big businesses. ;) )

DisneyFan79: Thanks for the heads up on the discounted rate - unfortunately, when I called up to request it, the total balance came to be even more than my original balance, and the reservationist suggested that I may not be able to take advantage of it because my reservation was already paid off. But yes, thank you anyway - I hope someone else can get the deal!! :)

And just to end this with a somewhat humorous "apples and oranges" comparison: If I had made reservations at a restaurant and ordered a fancy steak dinner only to be served a hamburger because business was slow, I think I'd be a bit miffed if I had to still pay the sirloin price. Would the burger curb my apetite? Most likely. Should I be happy that I'm not starving in a third-world country? Of course. But it doesn't make me any happier about not getting the steak.;)

Hmmm, I have never thought of peak season necessarily meaning that hours are longer or there are more parades. I have understood it as the idea of supply and demand. USUALLY these times of the year Disney knows they can charge more and get away with it because more people want to come. (I do not mean the "get away with it" in a negative manner--it's a law of business.) This year it happens that it is not going to be more crowded so they are not having extended hours afterall. However, if you go to Makinac Island in the summer, you can bet your britches the rates are going to be a lot higher than if you go in January. So, if it rains the week you are there in the summer, do you figure the resort should give you back your peak season rates? No, of course not. You know it's not the resort's fault and you knew going into it that you were going in peak season and would be paying more. Same with staying in a hotel on a Friday or Saturday night. It's going to cost more than on a Tuesday, because they have more demand for those rooms on the weekend. Are they going to do anything extra for you for that higher rate? Nope!

This year it happens that it is not going to be more crowded so they are not having extended hours afterall

That is somewhat misleading. MGM went from 8:30PM (not extended) to 7PM. The closing hours for MK on the days they cut was 8PM, also not 'extended' hours.

And since they moved the closing hours to 7PM at MK, out goes Spectro - can't have a night time parade if you're not open at night ;). It's entirely possible that if you are staying for less than 7 days there won't be a spectro parade while you are there. That's sad.

And BB is flat out closed.

So while I get the point of view that says "Less people there so you see more in less hours", you can't see what isn't available.

I am also familiar with the concept that while you may pay more for a hotel on Saturday, you don't get anything 'extra'. But, you also don't get services cut - a slow Saturday at the hotel doesn't mean you don't get housekeeping that day.

Now, if you go to WDW fairly frequently as some of the folks here do then it's no big deal. You've either already 'done it' or you'll catch it next time. That's not an option for some folks.

And while you may be able to get your room deposit back if you cancel, what about plane tickets? That could cost you $100 per ticket. And the expenses go beyong the monetary.

I'm just saying that while Disney has every right to cut hours/attractions as they see fit the impact on a lot families should not be minimized.

Wish I was going tomorrow :)

a slow Saturday at the hotel doesn't mean you don't get housekeeping that day.

LOL--good point!

I'm just saying that while Disney has every right to cut hours/attractions as they see fit the impact on a lot families should not be minimized.

Yes, I agree it is disapointing. My post was not meant to minimize that impact.

I understand everyone being disappointed. I won't be disappointed if the hours are cut when I'm there in June and not because I've been there a few times.

I won't be disappointed because I would rather be at MGM with less crowds than have it open 1 1/2 hours longer and have to wait in lines.

You will all have such a better time and probably fit in a lot more things than my family usually does because of crowds. I'm more worried about rain than the parks closing earlier. My sister and her family never got to use their hotel pool last June because everytime they were back at the hotel - it was raining. It rained alot last June, yet most people who posted said they had a great trip anyway.

Since the parks are closing earlier, make a later dinner ressie - it will be a great chance to check out other disney hotels. Check Deb Will's site for restaurant menus. www.wdwig.com

Or go to DD, maybe take in Disneyquest. We barely have time to fit DD in our trips.

The Spectro is a bummer. Make sure you see another nighttime show - MGM or Epcot. So many times I ask people who have just returned if they've seen Fantasmic and the answer is no. IMHO, it's the best show WDW has to offer. So now make it a point to see it.

It's too bad about the water park. We went mid-May last trip and it wasn't warm enough for me!!! So we didn't go to TL that trip. I'll be bummed if we don't get to go this trip. It better not rain too much!!!!!:D

Have fun and please let us know how your trips were!!!;)

Anna

:bounce:

"MGM went from 8:30PM (not extended) to 7PM. The closing hours for MK on the days they cut was 8PM, also not 'extended' hours."

Well, 8:30 is actually extended since the closing time at MGM during the week when we were there last week was 7pm. It was extended to 8:30 on Sunday and Monday only. Also, MK closed at 7pm on some days we were there, with the hours extended to 10pm on Sat and Sun, 8 Fri and Tues, and 9 on Monday (Pres. Day). It was very crowded that weekend though so you needed the park to be open until 10, since there were high crowds for Valentine's Day, President's Weekend, and the Daytona races. After Tuesday though, the crowds greatly subsided and the earlier closing times seemed appropriate. Also, I imagine it was more crowded the last few days of our trip (2/17-2/20) since like us, many people had flights cancelled and had to stay in WDW a few extra days as the airlines didn't have available flights open for days (we planned to leave the 17th and couldn't leave until the 20th). So without this additional people, the parks would have been even less crowded, but even with them the longest waits we saw on those days were about 30 minutes.

My impression was that 'normal' operating hours for MGM were 9A-9P, with extended hours for holidays and peak times; shorter hours in winter, weekdays, and 'value' times.

The time in question (3/1-3/15) is considered 'peak season' for whatever reason.

I'm going in early May and that's considered 'regular' season. MGM was open 9A-9P pretty consistently in May 2002; same with June, July, & August.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't think that an 8:30 closing time during peak season equals extended hours. It shouldn't anyway.

Who knows. By the time May gets here 6P might be the 'normal' closing time ;)

Think of it this way. When your grandchildren ask "Gramps, was Disney World really open at night when you were young?" you could answer "It sure was sweetie - and they even had parades!"

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I was watching the show on Busch Gardens in Tampa today on the Travel Channel. Their normal hours are 9A to 6P. All the time.

Yes, most 'animal' parks & zoos close earlier - I guess the gorillas (or maybe the keepers ;)) need their sleep :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter