March 6, 2011 Mexican Riviera aboard the Wonder

Me and my daughter Elizabeth went down to San Pedro today to see the Wonder off on her last cruise before we get on :woohoo:

First of all... the journey there. Google maps told me to take the easiest route, which was in fact, very easy. Take the 110 all the way to the Harbor Blvd. exit and keep going straight until you drive into the ship. It's easy, but coming over the hills there is too much stuff in the way to really get a good view of the boat. All you can see is the very very top of the smokestacks until you are actually parking right in front of the boat. Now, if you take the 710 instead of the 110 and then cross over the historic Vincent Thomas bridge, you get a much more dramatic view of the ship in the distance, and as you cross the bridge it gets bigger and bigger until you are driving right past her, eyeball to eyball with the people up on deck 9! For anyone coming from Disneyland, I made a little Google Maps directions sheet that will show you how to get there this way. It adds a couple of minutes to the drive, but it's worth it for the great view!
Click Here for the Google map

Once we got there it was a little confusing finding a place to park other than in the overnight terminal parking lot. I parked in a no parking zone thinking I was just going to have to jump out, get a couple of pictures and then get back in the car. When out, I was able to spot a parking lot entrance and a really nice two-level promenade with great views of the ship. There is also a good dancing waters show nearby that even has a wet zone where you can stand between two pools of fountains. We pulled in, got out and strolled up and down taking photos and running around in the grass. I tried to get my daughter to smile for the camera, but she was too interested in running and me chasing her!

We stayed for a while and listened to the sail away party going on and the countdown and of course the horn! Then we ran around a bit waiting for the boat to cast off... it didn't leave until around 5:45... and for those worried about it, the Oscars were being played on the jumbotron by the pool after the sail away party (with commercials in Spanish, oddly enough).

Anyways, here are the pics from our visit today. It was a lot of fun! Only 6 days left!

IMG_20110227_171251.jpg

IMG_20110227_165049.jpg

IMG_20110227_164526.jpg

IMG_20110227_164041.jpg

IMG_20110227_163601.jpg

IMG_20110227_163047.jpg

And finally a video of the ship blowing it's horn!

Sorry for the poor audio quality on the video... it's from my cell phone!

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and wanted to introduce myself. Me, my husband Tom, my daughter Lexi (5 1/2) and my mother in law will be sailing on March 6th. We're super excited about it! We're from Seattle, WA (where it's snowing right now!) and can't wait for the warm weather. This is not our first cruise but it's been a long time for my husband and I. My mother in law is a cast member and cruises all the time so she's a pro. But we can't wait for some sun and fun!

Anyone have any info. on day passes to resorts and swimable beaches in Cabo?

Thanks so much!!

Stacy

Stacey...hope you and the family have a great time!!! Say hi to Mickey for me!!! And...welcome to the cruise board!!!

MJ

Just realized that daylight savings begins the day we disembark... it's going to be really hard to wake up on Monday and go to work!

Hi Carolc,

I will be happy to bring name tags and pens. :thumbsup2

Wallyboag, thanks so much for going down to the wharf and seeing the ship off, and taking photos. It has really put me in the party mood, that is for sure.

Tinkfour, can not wait to meet the princesses. princess:

Ptmom, Jean, so glad you made memories with your girls...Disney is about memories and families, vs. Places. (even though we are going to new places...the memories take precedence :rotfl: ).

Newkrew, so glad you are coming with your wife of 30 years. Are you late dining??? If so we will raise a glass of champagne to you. Thanks for your service as a firefighter. I don't know how you do what you do.

Stacy, welcome to the group!

As long as it's warm I will one happy camper. See you soon! Meg

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and wanted to introduce myself. Me, my husband Tom, my daughter Lexi (5 1/2) and my mother in law will be sailing on March 6th. We're super excited about it! We're from Seattle, WA (where it's snowing right now!) and can't wait for the warm weather. This is not our first cruise but it's been a long time for my husband and I. My mother in law is a cast member and cruises all the time so she's a pro. But we can't wait for some sun and fun!

Anyone have any info. on day passes to resorts and swimable beaches in Cabo?

Thanks so much!!

Stacy

Stacy so glad to have someone so close to home. our daughters are about the same age. Look forward to meeting you and your family on the ship.

Scott, Cathy and Ava

Let me introduce myself...

I'm Jodi, and I will be cruising with my husband, Brian and our 3 year old Daughter Brooklyn. This will be our FIRST cruise!! Exciting stuff!!!! I look forward to getting away for the week, and can't wait to get to know new people on the Ship. :wizard:

This is it people! Crunch time! Start your packing, buying of new clothes, finding travel size containers of toiletries, find a dog sitter, find a cat sitter, find a baby sitter, find a wife sitter, notify your neighbors, cancel your newspaper subscriptions, hide the family fortune in the bank vault, and get whatever else you need done!

Thanks Wallyboag for the photo's of the ship! I am in mad rush mode now. I have to work extra this morning then have a pedicure late morning(gotta have cute toes for mickey:) ) then it is time to finish the laundry and get out the suitcases. Thanks for the reminder on stopping the mail. We leave in 3 days oh my!

I am so looking forward to meeting everyone. My coworker asked what am I going to talk about once the cruise is over. I said "what a great time I had of course!":banana:

Let me introduce myself...

I'm Jodi, and I will be cruising with my husband, Brian and our 3 year old Daughter Brooklyn. This will be our FIRST cruise!! Exciting stuff!!!! I look forward to getting away for the week, and can't wait to get to know new people on the Ship. :wizard:

Welcome Jodi! We are having a Meet and Greet on Embarkation day at 3pm deck 7 aft We hope to meet you there.

Michelle

Okay I am back from my work and pedicure. I have cute toes now. I just wanted to let the parents with girls out there know that I found Disney Crocs Mary Jane style at BIGLOTS! for $5.00 it was too good to pass up.:woohoo: Now to get the final loads of laundry done :laundy:and start setting out the clothes then I have to put half back because I know I will set out too many. Creative packing don't fail me now!:cool1:

Michelle

Okay I am back from my work and pedicure. I have cute toes now. I just wanted to let the parents with girls out there know that I found Disney Crocs Mary Jane style at BIGLOTS! for $5.00 it was too good to pass up.:woohoo: Now to get the final loads of laundry done :laundy:and start setting out the clothes then I have to put half back because I know I will set out too many. Creative packing don't fail me now!:cool1:

Michelle

Great post Michelle!! I'll head over to Big Lots tonight to look for those Crocs. My little monkey would love them! :) Thanks for the heads up!!!
~jodiprincess:

For those participating in the FE exchange. If your stateroom number has changed from the prior list, please let me know by Thursday night. Thanks

Pretty much packed and ready to go. Now just need to work a few more days. We are soooo excited! We're ready for the warm weather.

See everyone onboard.......

Got my toes done too! :cool1: Our bedroom is a mess. :scared1: Need to finish the FE gifts, put our names on our FE, get name tags, pack...yeesh. Finish laundry, drag out the suitcases, find sunscreen...this is sooo much fun!!!

Awww Man... I wish I would have known about the FE exchange before now. I mean I did know about them... but we were just planning on doing them between the 3 staterooms that we have traveling together (us, mom and good friends). Oh well... I guess I'll know next time. What a rookie! LOL I have so much to learn.

5 days to go!!!!!!!:cool2:

We are so excited to meet everyone....so much to do so little time...its gonna be a long few days but Im so excited I think I may be more excited then the kids :lmao:....See you all in a few days :cheer2::cheer2:

recommendations on packing -
Night light as the cabints aren't very bright for midnight run to the john
power strip as there aren't many plug-ins in the cabin.
battery charges (Iphone, camera, etc..)

Leaving in an hour...yeah! Making the drive to KC tonight, to drop off the dog, and then the flight leaves at noon tomorrow. Just waiting for the school bus...so excited for our vacation to be underway! See you all on Sunday!

Leaving in an hour...yeah! Making the drive to KC tonight, to drop off the dog, and then the flight leaves at noon tomorrow. Just waiting for the school bus...so excited for our vacation to be underway! See you all on Sunday!

While I'm greatful for the convenience living close enough to drive to and from the port in my own car, as I type this from work I have to admit I am incredibly jealous that your vacation is starting two days before mine!

Have a safe trip!

While I'm greatful for the convenience living close enough to drive to and from the port in my own car, as I type this from work I have to admit I am incredibly jealous that your vacation is starting two days before mine!

Have a safe trip!
I am so jealous! Our vacation won't start until 5am on Sunday morning when we drive down. I too am sitting at work, so much to still do, training my backup for next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter