March 26, 2011 - Eastern Caribbean Magic and FE Exchange!

Happy Holiday's everyone!!!

Our countdown is in the DOUBLE DIGITS!!!!

What excursions are you planning on doing? I think we are going to do the See and Sea Tour in St. Marten and the St. John Eco Hike. I would also like to do the Sky Tram ride in St. John if we have time.

I am also going to try to book both Palo Dinner and Brunch.

What excursions are you planning on doing? I think we are going to do the See and Sea Tour in St. Marten and the St. John Eco Hike. I would also like to do the Sky Tram ride in St. John if we have time.

Hi KristiMc. We need to figure out our plan for excursions. The eco hike looks great, but my son is not old enough. We'll probably choose a St. Thomas beach excursion instead. Also will likely pick one of the Orient Bay beach excursions on St. Maarten.

My wife and I took our then 4 and 7 year old boys to Disney World last spring break and this year we are trying a Disney Cruise. We made final payment yesterday. This is our first Disney Cruise and (3/26).

:confused3 Trying to figure it all out - esp. shore excursinos for 6 and 8 year old boys. Any advice would be appreciated.

This will be my Family's first Disney Cruise and I could use a little explanation as to what a FE (Fish Extender) is and what it is used for. Sorry for the "silly" question.

This will be my Family's first Disney Cruise and I could use a little explanation as to what a FE (Fish Extender) is and what it is used for. Sorry for the "silly" question.

Hi coleenmark - this will be our first cruise too. We have learned what a fish extender is and we plan on participating.

Apparently there is a fish located near each cabin door where you can hang something. Cruisers make or buy a "fish extender" with one or more pockets it in, so your fellow cruisers can drop off little gifts. Likewise you drop off little gifts in others' fish extenders.

My family is making our fish extender and decorating it with Mickey etc. If you want to participate, karajeboo offered to collect contact info and coordinate.

My wife and I took our then 4 and 7 year old boys to Disney World last spring break and this year we are trying a Disney Cruise. We made final payment yesterday. This is our first Disney Cruise and (3/26).

Trying to figure it all out - esp. shore excursinos for 6 and 8 year old boys. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are trying to figure out the excursions we want as well. Our son will be 4, almost 5, so that does limit the official port adventure choices we can make, for example, the St. John's eco hike is for ages 6 and up.

For general advice, one thing I recommend is the DIS Unplugged podcast cruise primer series, and/or they did an abbreviated primer this fall that condensed essentials. The primer takes you through all the details of what to expect boarding the ship, activities on and off the ship, Castaway Cay, getting off the ship, etc.

If you don't have time to listen to all the podcasts, just keeping an eye on the DCL forum can help -- there tends to be a few active "first time cruise" threads going on all the time. Or you can just ask here -- I'm trying to learn as much as I can too.

Not sure about excursions at this point. Right now we are thinking of just Jeff and I doing some shopping or excursions in one port while Ally stays on the ship, and then maybe do a family beach excursion at the other port.

I am planning on running the Castaway Cay 5K (my first ever!) while Jeff and Ally rent a double waverunner. That way I won't be freaking out while he takes her "too fast."

I've wrapped up a framed "invitation" for Ally to surprise her on Christmas morning - I just knew there was no way I could keep the secret until we left, even though it would make such a wonderful birthday surprise. And this way, we can all discuss the excursions together.

If anyone wants to be added to the FE list, just PM me.... and if I'm not back on again before.....

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!

I am excited that I can book excursions/Palo/spa treatments tonight. Hopefully I will be able to stay up till midnight.

I have been wanting to get one of the new cabana's at Castaway Cay - they look so great and a nice way for for this non-sun-lover to enjoy the day at the beach. Even though it looks great, we decided that the price was just a little too much. Well, one of my presents this morning was my DH giving me the gift of the cabana!

We are not concierge, so hopefully they will not all get booked and I can snag one once we board.

Kristi

3 months till we set sail!

I was able to stay awake till midnight last night and got the days/times we wanted for both Palo dinner and brunch.

I also booked the St. John Eco hike. I did not book anything yet for St. Marten. We might just rent a car and explore on our own.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Kristi

I've wrapped up a framed "invitation" for Ally to surprise her on Christmas morning - I just knew there was no way I could keep the secret until we left, even though it would make such a wonderful birthday surprise. And this way, we can all discuss the excursions together.

I bet Ally was so excited to get her gift.

I bet Ally was so excited to get her gift.

Not as excited as I had hoped. I guess the papasan chair from Santa and the iphone from us was just too much.....:confused3 But I am excited because now I can discuss it without being so secretive!!!

This is my family's first Disney Cruise and first cruise as a family. We are booked on the 7 Night Eastern Carib. departing 3/26/11. We have 8 and 5 year old boys and are trying to figure out shore excursions. Given this is our first Disney Cruise, we cannot make shore excursions reservatiosn until 75 days before departure. Is there going to be a problem with availability?

We are thinking about:
1) St Maarten - Seaworld Explorer Coral Reef Exploration
2) St. Thomas / St. John - Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel
3) Castaway Cay - Castay Rays Stingray Adventure

These will not take the entire ashore time. We aren't really planning to "shop". Are there beaches that are appropriate for families at St. Maarten and St Thomas/St John that you can just walk on to or do we actually need to book something to get on a beach?

We would also like to be able to do Snorkel Lagoon on Castaway Cay and maybe rent floats or a boat. Is it necessary to reserve ahead or can you just walk up and rent this stuff once we see what we really want to do when we get there?

Given this is our first cruise, we have stuck with the shore excursions tha Disney shows on the website. Are there any others that anyone would recommend for my family?

I appreciate any help. :confused3

This is our very first cruise EVER so I am not the one to ask about shore excursions..... in fact, we are not planning anything big at this time. I think we will hit a beach on one of the islands, and on the other one DH and I may just shop while DD stays on the ship.....

On CC I think DH and DD are going to rent the double waverunner and maybe DD and I will go parasailing..... otherwise, I just don't really have a crazy desire for any of the excursions I have seen? :confused3

This is my family's first Disney Cruise and first cruise as a family. We are booked on the 7 Night Eastern Carib. departing 3/26/11. We have 8 and 5 year old boys and are trying to figure out shore excursions. Given this is our first Disney Cruise, we cannot make shore excursions reservatiosn until 75 days before departure. Is there going to be a problem with availability?

We are thinking about:
1) St Maarten - Seaworld Explorer Coral Reef Exploration
2) St. Thomas / St. John - Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel
3) Castaway Cay - Castay Rays Stingray Adventure

These will not take the entire ashore time. We aren't really planning to "shop". Are there beaches that are appropriate for families at St. Maarten and St Thomas/St John that you can just walk on to or do we actually need to book something to get on a beach?

We would also like to be able to do Snorkel Lagoon on Castaway Cay and maybe rent floats or a boat. Is it necessary to reserve ahead or can you just walk up and rent this stuff once we see what we really want to do when we get there?

Given this is our first cruise, we have stuck with the shore excursions tha Disney shows on the website. Are there any others that anyone would recommend for my family?

I appreciate any help. :confused3

This is our second Disney cruise - but the first was a 3-night 10 years ago so I am not much help about excursions.

I looked here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303002
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16033310#post16033310
for some reviews. This thread has not been updated in awhile.

Just put our deposit down!!!:cool1: (We have to pay the balance off in a week or so...LOL!) Hubby is in the military so the furthest out I usually have to book anything is 5 months.... Hoping to book our next cruise while onboard!

It looks like we're not the only 'first cruisers' out there! (This is our first cruise ever, not just Disney. ;)) Our family is as follows: Me, DH, DS 10 and DD who will turn 9 just a couple of weeks before we board.:banana:

If we can pull it off, it will be a total surprise for our kids! The first time we ever went to Disney was last year, Spring Break as well and we blew the surprise...hoping I can keep my mouth shut this time.:rotfl:

I am starting a list of stuff to definitely remember to get and wanted to say one that I read from another post that would be great for kids...binoculars!

Would you be so kind as to add us to the FE list? Or is there a separate place for this? What other info do you need from us on this? I gotta get to ordering mine ASAP as well as getting our passports renewed, etc. I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!:rotfl2:

Just put our deposit down!!!:cool1: (We have to pay the balance off in a week or so...LOL!) Hubby is in the military so the furthest out I usually have to book anything is 5 months.... Hoping to book our next cruise while onboard!

It looks like we're not the only 'first cruisers' out there! (This is our first cruise ever, not just Disney. ;)) Our family is as follows: Me, DH, DS 10 and DD who will turn 9 just a couple of weeks before we board.:banana:

If we can pull it off, it will be a total surprise for our kids! The first time we ever went to Disney was last year, Spring Break as well and we blew the surprise...hoping I can keep my mouth shut this time.:rotfl:

I am starting a list of stuff to definitely remember to get and wanted to say one that I read from another post that would be great for kids...binoculars!

Would you be so kind as to add us to the FE list? Or is there a separate place for this? What other info do you need from us on this? I gotta get to ordering mine ASAP as well as getting our passports renewed, etc. I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!:rotfl2:

Welcome to our group!

You can PM Karajeboo your info and she will add you to our FE list.

Please send me your info (first and last names and ages of kids..... plus email address so I can send final list) - just PM to me please.

My DD Ally will turn 10 while on the cruise - do you think your kids will spend much time in the kids clubs???

So I am trying to decide what we will do after the cruise to kill some time. Our flight does not leave MCO till 5:00. We are going to get a rental car. I originally thought we would visit Kennedy Space Center for a bit since it is close and I think the boys would really like it.

Now I am thinking that it would be nice to go walk around Downtown Disney and have lunch.

Decisions, decisions.

Karajeboo- Thank you! I will send the info to you in a PM here shortly...

I have wondered about the kids and how much time they'll spend in the clubs. We live out in the country (no kids as neighbors) so usually they grab at the chance to spend time with their peers. I basically only ask if they'll try it out so hubby and I can get some very, very rare alone time to check out the ship by ourselves, etc. I will bet they'll like it...from what I've read, they get to do science experiments like making 'flubber', etc. They LOVE that stuff! Neither of my kids are shy, my daughter is extremely outgoing for the most part. I figure we'll just wing it and see if they do like it. I'll bet they will. :)

And yours? :)

KristiMc...we're wondering what we'll do too...(before and after) We are probably gonna take the train to Kissimmee from NC. It arrives around 11 am... We're going to stay the night before boarding...so lots of time to kill, etc. I don't like getting the parks that late though...but might do Sea World..haven't done that in a while. We were thinking Kennedy Space Center too as we've never been...I know my son will like it- don't know if my daughter will though.

So I am trying to decide what we will do after the cruise to kill some time. Our flight does not leave MCO till 5:00. We are going to get a rental car. I originally thought we would visit Kennedy Space Center for a bit since it is close and I think the boys would really like it.

Now I am thinking that it would be nice to go walk around Downtown Disney and have lunch.

Decisions, decisions.

I vote for DTD, but then it's Disney, right??? ;) Although, this might be a great time to visiti Kennedy if you wouldn't normally get over that way.

Karajeboo- Thank you! I will send the info to you in a PM here shortly...

I have wondered about the kids and how much time they'll spend in the clubs. We live out in the country (no kids as neighbors) so usually they grab at the chance to spend time with their peers. I basically only ask if they'll try it out so hubby and I can get some very, very rare alone time to check out the ship by ourselves, etc. I will bet they'll like it...from what I've read, they get to do science experiments like making 'flubber', etc. They LOVE that stuff! Neither of my kids are shy, my daughter is extremely outgoing for the most part. I figure we'll just wing it and see if they do like it. I'll bet they will. :)

And yours? :)

KristiMc...we're wondering what we'll do too...(before and after) We are probably gonna take the train to Kissimmee from NC. It arrives around 11 am... We're going to stay the night before boarding...so lots of time to kill, etc. I don't like getting the parks that late though...but might do Sea World..haven't done that in a while. We were thinking Kennedy Space Center too as we've never been...I know my son will like it- don't know if my daughter will though.

Yes, Ally will be in the kids club. She will turn 10 on the cruise, so not sure which age group she belongs in.....

She is also very outgoing, and an only child, so she also jumps at the chance to hang out with other kids her age. Although for some reason when I told her about the clubs on DCL she said absolutely not! She seems to be going through a "shy stage" which is so funny because she is anything BUT shy!!! And from what others say, once they get to those kids clubs, it's hard to get them OUT!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter