• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

March 25, 2017 - 7 night Eastern Caribbean

Mixology: On our last cruise I seem to remember that some people from the FE group set up a (private?) Mixology class. By the time we got on board, all Mixology courses were full (boo!). Anyone know if and/or how we can set up a Mixology class for a group?
What is a Mixology?

How are everybody's travel plans coming along? We are flying SEA - MCO. We arrive early Friday morning off of a red eye direct from Seattle. We plan on getting a hotel at Coca Beach for Friday night.

Please send thoughts to everyone in the Bahamas (hurricane Matthew), and our Castaway Cay crew members who are hunkering down for a big storm.

Well, it's a little early for setting up a Fish Extender group for this cruise. Typically 6-8 months out is a good time to get things going. There may be FE groups organized on other sites, but they are not DISboards connected, and links or search directions to them are not allowed.

For anyone interested in setting up the group, I've got a little information:

SETTING UP A FE GROUP
There really are no “rules” as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone will step up and say “I’ll maintain the list”. This means they maintain the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/ favorite character/ favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know in order to create the gifts. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE group. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

The easiest, most private way to handle the information necessary to prepare the list (many people prefer not to put sensitive information on a public forum), is to use the “Conversation” feature here. There needs to be at least two people to start a conversation. Only the starter of the conversation (usually the organizer) can add additional people into the conversation (as long as they do NOT select “Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others” at the bottom of the reply window). Then when new people express a desire to join, usually by just saying “we want to join the FE”, the organizer can add them by clicking on the “Invite more” button in the “Conversation Participants” window (lower right of conversation page). Only those people participating in the conversation can see what’s posted there, and respond there. I will also note, to participate in conversations, everyone needs to have at least 10 posts. For those who wish to use this option for private conversations that don’t have 10 posts yet, head over to the Test Board to post and up your post count. http://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Up to 20 people can participate in any given conversation.

At some point the list will “close”. Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will post the list, either directly on the Cruise Meet thread, OR via private conversation, or, possibly, via e-mails. This is to confirm everyone on the list is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about “anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped” at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as they reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a “pixie dust” list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their “final” list. Be sure the “pixie dust” list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others, but are expected to provide gifts for the other FE participants anyway.

The other “biggie” is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how to find that other site here on DISboards. Please read this: http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

Hope this helps.
I am not sure if I did this right, but my family would like to do the FE...

Mom, Dad, 5 year old son, 4 year old son. Room 7674. Everyone LOVES star wars.

Include my family in the FE group please. Brent (dad), Soriya (mom), Malee (9 DD), Khai (6 DS)

Also there's another fb group than the one linked earlier that I created back in March though there's only 4 of us in that group so far.

Hey everyone. Sorry I've been out of pocket for a bit. Just an update, here is what I have for the DISboards FE list (I have updated the list on Page 1):

March 25, 2017 SWDAS Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Fish Extender Exchange Group

1) tidefan
2) Majkayc
3) ColoradoFamily
4) emjshallow
5) CNMomma
6) BlondeAlligator
7) lkpiehl
8) DisneyHalloweenTreat
9) palenskec
10) thebwit
11) minniecruises

Also, a few notes:

• Platinums can begin check-in on 11/25, so that is coming up.
  • I will begin a Google Doc (or some facsimile thereof) shortly with everyone's info.
  • Also, we need to begin thinking about: A) how large FE groups should be, i.e., when should we split into multiple groups, and B) when we want to cut off additions to the FE list. Typically, I know that some people like to prepare well in advance and a number of the lists I have been a part of have closed out 1-month prior to sailing. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hey everyone. Sorry I've been out of pocket for a bit. Just an update, here is what I have for the DISboards FE list (I have updated the list on Page 1):

March 25, 2017 SWDAS Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Fish Extender Exchange Group

1) tidefan
2) Majkayc
3) Rowan cecil
4) emjshallow
5) CNMomma
6) BlondeAlligator
7) lkpiehl
8) DisneyHalloweenTreat
9) palenskec
10) thebwit

Also, a few notes:

• Platinums can begin check-in on 11/25, so that is coming up.
  • I will begin a Google Doc (or some facsimile thereof) shortly with everyone's info.
  • Also, we need to begin thinking about: A) how large FE groups should be, i.e., when should we split into multiple groups, and B) when we want to cut off additions to the FE list. Typically, I know that some people like to prepare well in advance and a number of the lists I have been a part of have closed out 1-month prior to sailing. Thoughts?
Thanks so much for organizing us! I vote for closing 30-45 days out to give time for gift making. And what have u seen for group size? Split if we get above 20? Is that too many? I am a FE first timer but have been doing tons of research and super excited!

Hi All! We are excited to be coming from Alberta, Canada to participate on our first Disney Cruise! We'd like to join the FE group.

2 Adults, Karen (Minnie & Mickey) & Joey (Captain Hook)
2 Kids, Hudson (M 10yrs - Goofy, Star Wars, Brother Bear) & Sarah (F 8yrs - the Fab 5 plus Daisy)
We love all things Disney!
Stateroom TBA

I vote 45 days out as well. I know I will want some extra time to prep! I would say maybe split the FE groups at 12-15.

Hi All! We are excited to be coming from Alberta, Canada to participate on our first Disney Cruise! We'd like to join the FE group.

2 Adults, Karen (Minnie & Mickey) & Joey (Captain Hook)
2 Kids, Hudson (M 10yrs - Goofy, Star Wars, Brother Bear) & Sarah (F 8yrs - the Fab 5 plus Daisy)
We love all things Disney!
Stateroom TBA
I have added you to the list on Page 1

I vote 45 days out as well. I know I will want some extra time to prep! I would say maybe split the FE groups at 12-15.
I think this sounds reasonable. Also, we should see if people would want to be in multiple lists if we split them...

My vote for how the FE groups get split is from my favorite so far. Each group was max 10 people. You could choose to be in as many groups as you wanted to be apart of. The final groups were "set" 45 days out and then we had a "last minute" group that was for those that signed up to be apart after the 45 day cut off with a 3 day out as the final cut off. Those of us that planned our FE gifts with extras could opt to be apart of the last minute grouping if we wanted to/had extras.

Also on this cruise, we had custom bracelets made to help us figure out who was in the Facebook group (didn't have to be apart of a FE group). The cost was like $1.50/person for the bracelets. They were those rubber one size fits most bracelets and had a custom inscription for that cruise in the Disney Font on them. They were handed out at our first (of three) group meetings or put in their FE if they didn't go to the first meeting.

The group meetings we had were as follows: day 1 right after the DVC sales pitch in the same lounge. We had it reserved for like 30 minutes. Next meeting was informal with no reservation in a lounge by shutters. I think we missed this one due to some activity that we wanted to do/see. The third was a private mixology and that was a blast. This was also on day 2 if I am remembering correctly and we all got pretty tipsy. Then those that attending the adult only entertainment got to see me make an *** out of myself as I just kept riding the mixology buzz the rest of the day.

I'll also say that I am slow to post on here as it isn't a normal check in for me (unlike Facebook, twitter, and other sites). I know there's the rule of the no outside links or what not, but I did find that when we have had a good Facebook group that after it was much easier to trade photos and what not with people. I'll do my best to be as social on here as I can.

I agree with thebwit above ... yes to all of those ideas!

And just for the record, I just want to be in one FE group. I am trying to not get in over my head.

And secondly, I want a private mixology! I want to ride that wave!!

:stitch::rotfl2:

I am so sorry, I acted too fast. Can you remove KarenLynn from the FE group? I'm so sorry!!

Hi. I'm new to DIS Boards. This is our first cruise. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the time off work to go on this cruise, so other than booking our cruise and room I haven't done much - has everyone booked flights - or is there any benefit or hope to still book flights? Right now m outrageously expensive. We might be driving. :(

Hi. I'm new to DIS Boards. This is our first cruise. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the time off work to go on this cruise, so other than booking our cruise and room I haven't done much - has everyone booked flights - or is there any benefit or hope to still book flights? Right now m outrageously expensive. We might be driving. :(
Welcome! We will be driving. It's about 9 hours for us...

By the way, I'll be happy to maintain the FE list. You can either send me a PM or post here. You may want to include the following information:

2 Adults, 1 Child (F - 13) - so include # of adults and children and ages and gender of children
Names (you can include in your PM or post public if you like or just leave the names off)
Stateroom number
Favorite Characters
Any other items to note (allergies, etc.)
If we split the exchange, would you want to be in multiple groups?

I can either keep the FE in a thread or keep a shareable sheet (this has worked well for our other DIS FE exchanges).

So, for us, we have:

2 Adults, 1 Child (F - 13)
Brad, Jennifer, and Delaney (F-13)
Stateroom 7688
Brad - Mickey, Delaney - Dumbo, Jennifer - Villains
We would want to be in all groups if split

We will need to vote on when to close the FE exchange. On our Norway cruise, we closed 1 month early, which was somewhat close. I prefer 45 days, but would love to see what the group thinks. Also, we can split the exchange into smaller groups if we get large enough (generally around 20 cabins).

Please remember, no mention of other Social media sites. This is strictly a DIS FE exchange and will be maintained here on the DISboards.

Looking forward to it!

Our family would love to be in a fish extender group. This will be our second cruise and we are so excited!

Our family includes 2 adults and 2 kids.

Joelle, Kevin, Camille (F-15) and Zachary (M-13)

Stateroom 9022

Joelle- Donald Duck, Kevin- Mickey, Camille- Stitch, Zachary- All things Star Wars

We would prefer to be in one group if they are broken up into 20 staterooms, or 2 groups if they are broken up into 10 staterooms.

Thanks for organizing, tidefan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter