• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MARCH 2017 Car Rental Rate Thread!

Glad I checked this thread today..................
My rate dropped from $187.25 to $128.26 after fees for a lock low and go deal through Dollar! Used the promo code 101176.
Dates March 4-11.

Super happy with my deal. YAY.
I got a dollar deal this week from March 4th to 18th for a full size $289.75. I am an Alamo person. But will take a full size at tha price.

So, that great rate I got back in post #77 of $490 for a mini van for 11 days? Yeah, it just dropped to $429! I am so happy I've kept checking. That's Alamo through Costco (Canada), if anyone wants to know. Also, the rate to pick up the car 12 hours later is still $640. Seems very important to check a few times around when you'd like the vehicle.

I'm glad to see that some of you, especially going in early March, are seeing some good rates now. It's always good to be patient and check and recheck until you leave, especially in that last three weeks or so. I can tell you that I went in early March last year (I think March 4-10) and the rates did not come down last year. They seem to be better for that period this year than last.

I'm late March this time (24-29), so I'm not seeing the deeper discounts yet, but my Alamo rental is quoting now just slightly higher than it was when I booked it a few months ago. In between it went up from in the $220ish to $450ish range. I'm getting a little encouraged again.

For those of you still looking for early March (and you should be!) I received a 10% off (weekend rentals) for Dollar in email this morning. The promo code is 101184, so give that a try in addition to some of those above. Also, remember with Dollar (and everyone else) to check with no codes. Sometimes the promo code won't show you City Specials, which may or may not be better.

So far, for Feb. 27-Mar. 15, Hertz through AAA, $617, National with BJ's coupons and emerald club, went from $800 down to $674. Not sure if it's worth the extra $ to go with National with the emerald isle, or just go with the cheapest. I'll keep checking.

Last edited:
So far, for Feb. 27-Mar. 15, Hertz through AAA, $617, National with BJ's coupons and emerald club, went from $800 down to $674. Not sure if it's worth the extra $ to go with National with the emerald isle, or just go with the cheapest. I'll keep checking.
Down more today, Hertz - $583, National - $665. Will check right to the day we leave.

I found a decent rate from Dollar. March 7-15th for $147. That's still a lot higher than I usually pay but considering that it's been holding pretty steady around $325 for a while now I suppose it's actually good. I'm not sure if I'm going to take it or just take a car for the first two days of my trip and use Disney buses for the rest. I have to decide if I need to cut the budget a little and if I do then the car gets cut.

I found a decent rate from Dollar. March 7-15th for $147. That's still a lot higher than I usually pay but considering that it's been holding pretty steady around $325 for a while now I suppose it's actually good. I'm not sure if I'm going to take it or just take a car for the first two days of my trip and use Disney buses for the rest. I have to decide if I need to cut the budget a little and if I do then the car gets cut.

Not bad. If you're considering doing that, have reservations for both scenarios, then you can decide even on the plane ride there. Shortening the rental period will knock you out of the weekly rate and may penalize you somewhat for doing a drop at a different location, even though there won't be a formal dropoff charge. Price everything out and see what you come up with.

Knocked a little off my March 24-29 Alamo rental. Switched from Alamo Insider ID to Costco and still using AD2823JAZ, I'm at $141.86 base/$206.67 total for a Midsize. Previously I was at $224 for a Standard. I don't need the larger size (even Compact would be fine, but that's more expensive than midsize now).

For 4 months I've been checking prices daily for our trip to Orlando March 17-24. Dollar and Thrifty have really good AAA rates right now for that week. But best deal I've found yet was a midsize SUZ at Hertz for $246.07 (incl fees). This is also a AAA rate. Check, check, and re-check your reservations for a better deal.

Dollar AAA Codes: dollar.com/Business/D4BMain/Corporate/AAA_CAA_CD_Numbers.aspx
Thrifty AAA Codes: thrifty.com/Programs/BusinessSpecials/AAA_CAA_CD_Numbers.aspx
Hertz AAA Codes: hertz.com/rentacar/misc/index.jsp?targetPage=aaacdp_pc302676.jsp

Knocked a little off my March 24-29 Alamo rental. Switched from Alamo Insider ID to Costco and still using AD2823JAZ, I'm at $141.86 base/$206.67 total for a Midsize. Previously I was at $224 for a Standard. I don't need the larger size (even Compact would be fine, but that's more expensive than midsize now).

I'm getting somewhere now that I'm inside a month to go. Changed it again this morning:
March 24-29
Alamo Midsize
Costco + AD3868JST ($25 off specialty)
$120.67 base/$152.57 total (includes a $7.50 charge for Southwest rewards)

I just got 126.92 for economy from Costco Travel for March 5-11
Base Rate

$77.60
Taxes and fees $49.32
Subtotal $126.92

With the trip 25 days away, I seem to be in a mode of dropping rates for the past several days. Checked again this morning and rates were down again:

March 24-29
Alamo Compact (yes, I had a midsize before, but really only need a compact)
Costco + AD3868JST ($25 off specialty)
$104 base/$133.04 total (includes a $7.50 charge for Southwest rewards)

Considering I was at $224 total that had held for several months just a few days ago and that last year this time rates didn't drop, I'm pretty happy. But I'll keep looking...

just saved a bundle with costco code switching to alamo.
Even got a free upgrade from intermediate to standard too!!
Dates 3/20 9:30am - 3/27 8:30pm

Valid for Travel Through 12/30/2017
Book by: 12/30/2017 Minimum rental: 1 Day
Contract ID: 7014627
Coupon Code: AU2291VYT

Mon, Mar 20, 2017 09:30 AM Orlando Intl Arpt (MCO)
Mon, Mar 27, 2017 08:30 PM Orlando Intl Arpt (MCO)
Rental Rate
  • 1 Week(s) at 109.00 / Week(s)
  • 1 Day(s) at 15.57 / Day(s)
Estimated Total: $183.77

Extras Additional Driver INCLUDED Mileage UNLIMITED MILEAGE

My rate for 3/2-3/10 has been $169 with Budget for a full size car. This morning I checked and Enterprises price was $93 for the same dates and same car. Enterprise has been well over $200 since I started looking. I booked through Costco.

Because of a change in plans, my trip has changed from 3/24-3/29 to 3/25-4/3...longer trip and I need a larger car. Interestingly, by starting a new reservation, using Costco and the same AD3868JST I used above, the base for a midsize was $270, total $296.88. However, if I modified the compact reservation I had for 3/24-39 to the new dates and using a midsize, the base is $140.14, total $184.58. Same codes, much different results. Obviously, I went with the modified reservation.

Its interesting in a way since I've usually found the opposite to happen with Alamo -- modifying an existing reservation resulted in higher rates. So I guess the best advice is if you have a reservation that you're looking to lower, try both creating a new one and also try modifying an existing reservation and see what works out best.

So, back in post #77, I got that great rate for a mini van of $490 for 11 days. Then in post #84 I got $419 for those same days. Both were with Alamo through Costco Canada. Well, today, I got $336 through Alamo (Insiders Canada) using the Costco Canada code for those same 11 days! It's less than a week to go and I'm still getting the best deals ever. We're parking for a 7 day cruise, but I checked the price of a one way drop off for 3 days MCO to Port Canaveral was $408. That almost pays for the parking and if you add it needing to return to MCO, it certainly pays for it.

So, back in post #77, I got that great rate for a mini van of $490 for 11 days. Then in post #84 I got $419 for those same days. Both were with Alamo through Costco Canada. Well, today, I got $336 through Alamo (Insiders Canada) using the Costco Canada code for those same 11 days! It's less than a week to go and I'm still getting the best deals ever. We're parking for a 7 day cruise, but I checked the price of a one way drop off for 3 days MCO to Port Canaveral was $408. That almost pays for the parking and if you add it needing to return to MCO, it certainly pays for it.

I've done that with a cruise also...There's a bunch of variables, but sometimes doing an MCO-MCO rental works out better than the two one-ways even with adding parking in. Another big benefit: you can leave things in the vehicle that you don't need on the cruise (for example, laundry, souvenirs, etc.) or if you're going somewhere after the cruise, you can leave some of your clothing that you won't need until the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter