March 2014 car rental!

First the question, does the Alamo at MCO have intermediate cars? Do they have Standard cars? I believe I read somewhere that they dont have one type, and that I would get automatically upgraded

They have intermediate and full size. They list standard but they will direct you to the full size aisle. I'd book the standard because you'll get a full size instead of paying more for full size. At least, the last time we used them this was the case.

Glad I've been checking daily. Rentals for my trip have went up the last few days by $50-$100. Hoping they'll come back down soon.

What the heck? Prices are insane right now, we are going for a long weekend, March 21-24 and even small cars are almost $200 just for 3 days!

We booked our rental car through Costco. We are going March 22nd-29th and booked a mini van for $410. Another option is firefly.com. They are approximately $405.

I will never rent a car again in the month of March. I am going down for my Spring Break and am amazed how high my rental is, and I got in on a deal with Dollar for a Mid- size SUV. It is $259 for the week. I have found nothing else for under $300. Next March I will drive. I am thankful that I booked the SUV when I did.

We just arrived yesterday. Dollar deal full size 10 days $161.00 they are there but really have too look every day 3 &4 times a day. Finally got our friends down coming in tomorrow for 8 days intermediate alamo $170.00

Breaks my heart buy I am releasing two standards for 3/8-3/14. Base rate was $63 each but total with taxes, fees was $218 total. Grabbed a minivan last week for $298 total so for $80 we only have to take one vehicle, pay one toll, fill one gas tank etc so I guess it is worth it to make the SO happy. This is on dollar--current rate for a standard is $283 base :mad:

I also booked a minivan with Dollar - it was a really good deal until I saw I had to add $11/day for additional driver. National doesn't charge for extra driver - so with the KLM code it's cheaper (plus it throws in all the Collision and damage stuff for free).

We booked our rental car through Costco. We are going March 22nd-29th and booked a mini van for $410. Another option is firefly.com. They are approximately $405.

I really wanted to rent through Costco again, but when Dollar was running those deals a couple of weeks ago, I was able to get a standard for eleven days for $166.00 total, so couldn't pass it up. That same car has been running over $400.00 on the Costco site. I'm still hoping the prices are going to drop though. This past Dec I got a full size from Alamo through the Costco site for eleven days for $149.00.

This is the first trip I can remember that there hasn't been a rental car "price war" about 2 weeks out. Fortunately, I was able to get in on that Dollar one day sale that happened a couple weeks ago, so I'm at just over $100 all in for a compact for a week. That rate is fine, but I would have expected Alamo and some of the others to join in. Now that I'm at 7 days out, I'm still not seeing much movement and Dollar has actually gone a lot higher.

I should point out that I have seen rates drop even a couple days before a trip, so I will keep looking. Also, when your trip is getting close, don't forget to also check Alamo's last minute deals. The contract ID is 'IG'. For my dates, it doesn't seem to help, but it may for some.

As an aside, since I haven't rented from Dollar in years, I have a pickup question. If I have my reservation tied to Dollar Express, can I just go straight out to the garage at MCO? Do you get a choice of vehicle within your class, or do they assign?

We ended up with Dollar (Tampa) $272 total for 11 days for an Avenger (Standard?), and I only saw that price once, then it doubled and pretty much stayed that way through the day we arrived. This is the first year I didn't see the rates drop as the trip got closer, especially with Alamo who hardly allows for any codes anymore.

At Tampa there is a sign near the counter that directs all Dollar Express customers out to the kiosk in the garage, there they give you your keys and tell you what parking space number to pick it up from.

Hello all... I have been looking for the past few months for a car rental Pick-up & return MCO (Orlando) Arrive 3/23 11am Depart 3/30 7pm. 8 Days The car rentals have skyrocketed... We are looking for the cheapest car I can find... Economy, compact it doesn't matter. Can anyone help me.. all I've found is up and over $400 total inc taxes! Hopefully someone can help me find something for $200 tax/inc

Use the Flying Blue/KLM code on National. Should come up around $250 for a midsize. Only requirement is that you are supposed to be a member of Air France's frequent flyer program but I have never been asked for proof of that. Contract code is 8572130. If you are an Emerald Member you can just go out to the lot and pick your car.

Use the Flying Blue/KLM code on National. Should come up around $250 for a midsize. Only requirement is that you are supposed to be a member of Air France's frequent flyer program but I have never been asked for proof of that. Contract code is 8572130. If you are an Emerald Member you can just go out to the lot and pick your car.

Conniehar90 - Thanks for the FlyingBlue suggestion. We need a week rental Mar 19-26 and using that contract plus coupon ID ND3265FFC for $25 off a weekly rental our total for full size was $207.97 USD. Will be happy with that if nothing better comes along.

There's a flash sale on Firefly going on until 4 PM for March dates. I couldn't get it to work for me (I think it is because I'm picking up on a Wed and it says you have to pick up on Thurs, blah, blah). But check and see if you get a better rate. Firefly seems to get mediocre reviews on the DIS though.
The flash sale is on their home page.
Fireflycarrental.com

Well, I'm 2 days away and I'm happy I have a Dollar reservation from a few weeks ago...I think it was about $100 total for 5 days for a compact. Just for laughs, I've been checking Alamo a few times today. I kid you not...the same rental has ranged anywhere from about $300 to $700 within the last 24 hours and it hasn't been going straight up or straight down. Its been bouncing around and sometimes the cheapest vehicle is a minivan. Weird stuff...

I wish that Dollar deal would've worked for me. The Costco rates have been really high the last week or so. I've got a full size for $345 or a premium for $354 for our 10 days. That's the lowest I've been able to get, period. I keep checking several times a day but nothing cheaper yet. I'm not holding my breath either.

Here's what I did to get the best deal...

I used the Flying Blue contract code 8572130 that Conniehar90 posted (THANK YOU!). I found this $30 off a weekly rental coupon code NDA2324BR. I booked a minivan from 3/15 to 3/22 for $263.74 through National at the Tampa airport (TPA). This is the best price I could find for a minivan.

Oh, and I did enroll in the Flying Blue frequent flyer program. It was free to join.

I hope this helps somebody. :goodvibes

Down to a week out from our trip and prices are HIGHER than ever. Really wish they'd come down so I could book Alamo (currently have Budget and Avis). All companies are WAY high right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter