March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! Threadjackers take over the world!

disneyschedule2.jpg

As you can see ... the only repeats are 50s PTC and Kona Cafe (granted, we had Kona for dinner, so breakfast is all new).

Out of all the ADRs, I'd love to ditch Tusker House. The menu doesn't sound appealing to me. But I did book lunch so we'd have a character meal. Really, the only non-character meals we have are the repeats. :lmao:

I'm probably most excited for CP and 1900 PF. :lovestruc

:goodvibes Looks GREAT to me! Here's my input on them (since I'm sure you're dying to know of course ;) ).

Haven't done 50s PTC in a while...but did enjoy it when we did in June 2008. Have made ADRs for it a few times...then changed them...go figure! :rotfl:

Love Kona Cafe...usually a must-do for us for dinner. DH and I did breakfast years ago back in 2008...and LOVED it...got me hooked on Tonga Toast. Now we just make a special trip to Capt Cooks where we can indulge in our Tonga Toast and not pay as much...and it works out well! I missed it on our last trip, something I don't think I put in my trip report. I can't recall the details now...but I know I sent the adults ahead and I stayed behind (as moms do of course) with a kid who was probably being unruly...then joined the group later as they were finishing up their meal. I missed the Tonga Toast...so will make it a priority on the upcoming trip! ;)

We did 1900 PF for dinner a year or two ago...and it was SUCH fun. I don't recall the food being memorable but the stepsister and stepmother character interraction was SO MUCH FUN! My favorite had to be when the stepsisters each came to the table and my DS (5 at the time I think) refused to get into any pictures. When the stepmother came over, she just motioned to him and told him "WE SHALL TAKE A PHOTO" and he got right up and got into the photo with her and his older siblings...like even HE knew not to disobey her. It was HILARIOUS! :rotfl:

CP...man it used to be a favorite and a must-do for dinner...even WITHOUT the kids...but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tigger! :love: I've heard the food hasn't been that good in a few years, and we booked breakfast our last trip that I honestly wasn't impressed with either. I feel sad about losing the love for it. Maybe one day we'll try it again. :confused3

Tusker House....keep reading so many good things and it was high on my list for our June trip. I had an ADR for a late breakfast...thinking we might carry it over to the lunch changeover and experience both. Then I had to make some changes, and it pained me but I had to give it up and couldn't rebook it. Can't wait to hear about it...it's another one on my must-try list for the future! :)

:goodvibes Looks GREAT to me! Here's my input on them (since I'm sure you're dying to know of course ;) ).

Haven't done 50s PTC in a while...but did enjoy it when we did in June 2008. Have made ADRs for it a few times...then changed them...go figure! :rotfl:

We went to 50s PTC last year. We had a "normal" server -- which made me sad ... but the food was zomgawesomeilickedmyplateclean. So we're going back! :woohoo: And this time, I'm requesting a playful server upon check-in.

Love Kona Cafe...usually a must-do for us for dinner. DH and I did breakfast years ago back in 2008...and LOVED it...got me hooked on Tonga Toast. Now we just make a special trip to Capt Cooks where we can indulge in our Tonga Toast and not pay as much...and it works out well! I missed it on our last trip, something I don't think I put in my trip report. I can't recall the details now...but I know I sent the adults ahead and I stayed behind (as moms do of course) with a kid who was probably being unruly...then joined the group later as they were finishing up their meal. I missed the Tonga Toast...so will make it a priority on the upcoming trip! ;)

We enjoyed Kona Cafe a couple years ago for dinner. Yum! But I have heard so much about the Tonga Toast ... so we're going for breakfast for it. That's what I'm getting - hands down. DH will be so proud that I won't be staring at the menu for an hour trying to decie. :lmao:

We did 1900 PF for dinner a year or two ago...and it was SUCH fun. I don't recall the food being memorable but the stepsister and stepmother character interraction was SO MUCH FUN! My favorite had to be when the stepsisters each came to the table and my DS (5 at the time I think) refused to get into any pictures. When the stepmother came over, she just motioned to him and told him "WE SHALL TAKE A PHOTO" and he got right up and got into the photo with her and his older siblings...like even HE knew not to disobey her. It was HILARIOUS! :rotfl:

I have wanted to book this for the past 3 years ... so now's my chance! DH said it was okay, so no take-backsies! :lmao:

That's a great story about your DS! The only experience we've had with Lady Tremaine was during the parade one year ... she approached DD and told her she needed a napkin. The lady beside me thought she said that DD should be napping -- which would have been hilarious, too. But DD had been ejoying a Mickey Bar and it showed ... she had chocolate all over her face! So we're definitely hoping for Lady Tremaine and the Step-Sisters at 1900 PF. Fingers are crossed!!

CP...man it used to be a favorite and a must-do for dinner...even WITHOUT the kids...but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tigger! :love: I've heard the food hasn't been that good in a few years, and we booked breakfast our last trip that I honestly wasn't impressed with either. I feel sad about losing the love for it. Maybe one day we'll try it again. :confused3

I'm sorry that you're not fond of CP. I've heard nothing but rave reviews ... so I decided to see what all the buzz was about. Plus, MK is limited on TS places (which is another reason why 1900 PF was booked on MK day). The menu looks neat, and I'd just like to try it. If our experience is much like yours, then at least we can mark it off our "list". :confused3 The kids love seeing characters ... but they're not as familiar with Pooh as they are the others. However, I'm nuts over Eeyore. All of my jammies have Eeyore on them. :lmao:

Tusker House....keep reading so many good things and it was high on my list for our June trip. I had an ADR for a late breakfast...thinking we might carry it over to the lunch changeover and experience both. Then I had to make some changes, and it pained me but I had to give it up and couldn't rebook it. Can't wait to hear about it...it's another one on my must-try list for the future! :)

This one worries me. The menu does not look appealing to me at all (for lunch). But DH insisted, and I thought if I had to be forced in dining here, then it should at least be with characters for the kids! And if he's wrong and we leave hungry, he'll serve a big time-out while me and the kids get something to eat at FTBBQ. :rotfl2:

Every year, we drive from Knoxville, TN to Disney World. Is it a fun drive? No. But it's much cheaper than flying. If we lived much further away, we'd splurge for the plane tickets. I've priced out airfare a couple of times, and the best I found was around $700 for round-trip for our family of four (and I think it was extra to check bags). No, thank you. We'll keep driving.

In the past, we have always started out around 3am or earlier. I wanted to arrive at WDW by dinner time. I think in 2009 we arrived around 2:30pm to AS Movies. The past two years, we've left earlier and have arrived before lunch.

This year, we're shaking things up. We will be arriving at WDW on Sunday March 4. However, we will leave our home Saturday. What time? Gosh, who knows. :confused3 We'll get sleep, finish packing, load into the car and hit the road. I guesstimate we'll be on the road around lunch time.

I drove a little bit in 2009 ... I drove from Knoxville up until before Atlanta. I wasn't about to drive through ATL ... even though we wouldn't be hitting any rush hour. The thought of driving through such a busy city got me anxious, so DH agreed to drive from ATL to WDW.

Since I've been a good little passenger and I can see the route from home to WDW a bit better, I will actually be driving a good chunk of the way there. This is pending DH will let me. He doesn't like my driving -- because I don't drive like an eldery person. (He does.) I've offered the past two years to drive up to ATL, but he's declined and drives it himself.

Anyway .... Yes, I have a tendency to bounce around.... This year is different because we'll drive down a good portion of the way and grab a hotel for the night. It's very possible that we'll drive down the entire way and grab a hotel. Who knows. We haven't scheduled a hotel, we'll just drive until we're ready to stop. I'll check for hotels in the area that offer AAA discounts and we'll probably grab one of those.

We'll eat breakfast (and possibly lunch) before we lave home on Saturday. We'll grab dinner out somewhere. Odds are this will be a TS-like restaurant ... Chili's or Cracker Barrel or something. I dunno what we'll pass that sounds good. :confused3 Preferably something we don't have here at home. I love to try new places!

Another big difference is the fact that we leave out so early, the kids sleep a good chunk of the way. They sleep anywhere from 4-7 hours of the trip. I'd estimate the trip is about 10 hours or so. Gosh, I think ... okay, I went and checked my last PTR, and I estimated the drive to be 10.5 hours with stops. That included stopping for gas, one rest area, and a breakfast at a fast food joint.

We usually drove and drove until they woke up -- then we'd stop for breakfast. In the past, the kids have had access to a DVD player. This did not hold true last year. We always borrow dad's 4-Runner ... and the outlet for the DVD player did not work. This year, we'll be taking my car and the outlet DOES work. So we'll have movies (and headphones), so the kids can have something to watch. I will create activity packs for them as well.

This will be harder this year, since they'll be awake for the entire drive. Well, they'll have the opportunity to sleep, and may doze in the car.

I'm hoping they can be relatively well-behaved for the drive. They've been great kids in the car in the past -- but you never know with kids. :sad2:

This is where I shall leave you for now. Recap: Leave Saturday after we're ready. Drive until we're ready to stop. Grab dinner and a hotel.

I leave you with a picture of the kid's first morning at WDW:

June 7, 2009 at 7:22 AM
Disneytrip034.jpg

Aren't they precious? I can't believe they were so little! Where did time go? :scared1:

Upcoming
March 4, 2012: Sunday - Arrival day

LOVE the photos! I was going to ask how long of a drive it was...but you answered that question! :)

It's a bit longer for us...closer to 14 hours...which is why DH isn't fond of the drive. The kids do well though...even though it's pretty much an all-day drive. Obviously for our last trip we tried the autotrain down and it was just GREAT...we can't wait to do that again! We did drive the whole way back, leaving around 7:30am or so and arriving at our home around 10pm with only short stops for potty breaks and fast food. It wasn't too bad and DH actually did the whole thing himself, even though I offerred to help! :confused3

Now that being said, my kids are used to a 7-8 hour drive that we make several times a year to go visit my parents in NC so they are seasoned in that area. They do pretty well and this last trip I did come up with some fun activities for them...mostly enjoyed by my DD while the boys weren't all that fond of the activities. Why do that when they could watch movies or play their video games?? It went well though. :)

Can't wait to read more! :)

Ah Lidian, your kids are so adorable!! :cutie: My DS5 has the very same Wall-E t-shirt!!! :laughing: We drive too, it is 11 hours for us. We plan to leave around 4pm and drive all night. :scared1: DH says we need to invest in a case of 5hr energy before we hit the road, LOL!!!! This is a first for us since we normally get a room on the way down, but we really want to waste no time getting to the happy place this time. :lmao:

I am so excited about our little Dismeet! :banana: I wanted to point out too, that it seems both of our DH's seem to be Star Wars fans....have you gotten to try the new Star Tours yet? It was down for refurb last time we were there, so our family (except myself and DD9, lol!) are very excited to try it out this time. My DH, DD12 adn DS5 are DIEHARD Star Wars geeks!

LOVE the photos! I was going to ask how long of a drive it was...but you answered that question! :)

It's a bit longer for us...closer to 14 hours...which is why DH isn't fond of the drive. The kids do well though...even though it's pretty much an all-day drive. Obviously for our last trip we tried the autotrain down and it was just GREAT...we can't wait to do that again! We did drive the whole way back, leaving around 7:30am or so and arriving at our home around 10pm with only short stops for potty breaks and fast food. It wasn't too bad and DH actually did the whole thing himself, even though I offerred to help! :confused3

Now that being said, my kids are used to a 7-8 hour drive that we make several times a year to go visit my parents in NC so they are seasoned in that area. They do pretty well and this last trip I did come up with some fun activities for them...mostly enjoyed by my DD while the boys weren't all that fond of the activities. Why do that when they could watch movies or play their video games?? It went well though. :)

Can't wait to read more! :)

What is the "autotrain"? :confused3

My kids have only been on long drives for WDW. :lmao: So this was all new to them -- its why we decided to leave out during "sleeping hours" ... so it would be easier on them. The last trip down was a bit rougher ... since we didn't have the DVD player and they still didn't know we were going to WDW (we told them as we were passing through the "gates"). They were a bit cranky because we told them we were helping "Uncle" Ben move (we call him Uncle Ben, but he's DH's BFF, not related). I don't think DD even noticed state signs -- we told them nothing. Just it would be a long drive and they had to help move lots of boxes (it was Ben and his new wife's clothes in our suitcases, there was only enough stuff for us to hold us over while we helped). It was great ... but rough on them. They still did well, though! (Video of their surprise is in my May TR - there's a table of contents so you can just watch the "surprise".)

Ah Lidian, your kids are so adorable!! :cutie: My DS5 has the very same Wall-E t-shirt!!! :laughing: We drive too, it is 11 hours for us. We plan to leave around 4pm and drive all night. :scared1: DH says we need to invest in a case of 5hr energy before we hit the road, LOL!!!! This is a first for us since we normally get a room on the way down, but we really want to waste no time getting to the happy place this time. :lmao:

I am so excited about our little Dismeet! :banana: I wanted to point out too, that it seems both of our DH's seem to be Star Wars fans....have you gotten to try the new Star Tours yet? It was down for refurb last time we were there, so our family (except myself and DD9, lol!) are very excited to try it out this time. My DH, DD12 adn DS5 are DIEHARD Star Wars geeks!

I'm so sad that Wall-E shirt he has outgrown. :( It now belongs to my niece. He wore that when he was 2-4 years. He got lots of use out of it. :lmao:

DH tried 5 hour energy one year, he said it was worthless. :confused3

Seems like everyone is driving through out of their norm, and here I am stopping out of our norm. :rotfl2: It's possible we drive all the way down and just get a hotel at DTD. There's no telling. If I do most of the driving, then its possible. :teeth:

The new Star Tours is AMAZING! I loved it before, but zomgitissoawesomeandcoolnowkthxbai! (Sorry, got a little carried away.) DH was very reserved about trying it ... he loved the original, but we rode it twice in May (opening week). He can't wait to ride it again. He's a huge SW fan. I've seen them, but can't tell you much about them. :confused3 Even so, I love simulators, and its just great! :cloud9:

Looking forward to the DISmeet!!!!! :woohoo:

What is the "autotrain"? :confused3

Ah...Autotrain! We had talked about it for years, but it is a bit expensive so we never did it. However my youngest DS LOVES LOVES LOVES trains...so we knew we had to try it this year. Our kids knew we were going to Disney for our trip...but thought we were leaving a day or two later than we did and had NO IDEA we were taking a TRAIN! So it's specific to Amtrak and I think only to the East Coast...a train where you can take your car along with you! :) In fact, you can't book this particular train route without a vehicle. It runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL (which is about a 45 minute drive to Disney) and you book both your train trip and your vehicle at the same time. We were going to do coach (pretty cheap) but ended up upgrading to sleeper cars eventually, figuring if we were going to experience it, we should do it in a big way. It was such fun and you can read all about it, and see photos, in my trip report link below for June! ;)

The new Star Tours is AMAZING! I loved it before, but zomgitissoawesomeandcoolnowkthxbai! (Sorry, got a little carried away.) DH was very reserved about trying it ... he loved the original, but we rode it twice in May (opening week). He can't wait to ride it again. He's a huge SW fan. I've seen them, but can't tell you much about them. :confused3 Even so, I love simulators, and its just great! :cloud9:

This was by far one of the things I was disappointed about on our last trip. We did not plan well in thinking that this ride would have the waits that it did now that it was new and improved...and we never got to see it! DH and I will DEFINITELY be trying it for our upcoming trip and will try not to spoil it for the rest when they go back with us in November! :rotfl: It's funny, I HATE simulator rides...they almost always make me feel a bit queasy...sucks getting old because I used to love ALL rides! :eek: For years I avoided Star Tours (and Body Wars when it was open) because I always emerged feeling a big BLECH! It was only on our Dec. 2009 trip, when all three kids were finally big enough to ride this one, that I decided to attempt it again after not riding it for years. I did okay with it...and then they went and changed it after that! I can't wait to see the changes! :)

I drove a little bit in 2009 ... I drove from Knoxville up until before Atlanta. I wasn't about to drive through ATL ... even though we wouldn't be hitting any rush hour. The thought of driving through such a busy city got me anxious, so DH agreed to drive from ATL to WDW.

Can't blame you -- I hate driving through Atlanta. :scared1:

Since I've been a good little passenger and I can see the route from home to WDW a bit better, I will actually be driving a good chunk of the way there. This is pending DH will let me. He doesn't like my driving -- because I don't drive like an eldery person. (He does.) I've offered the past two years to drive up to ATL, but he's declined and drives it himself.

You just described my husband and my driving habits. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm hoping they can be relatively well-behaved for the drive. They've been great kids in the car in the past -- but you never know with kids. :sad2:

I leave you with a picture of the kid's first morning at WDW:

June 7, 2009 at 7:22 AM
Disneytrip034.jpg

The kids will do fine...I bet they will both doze anyway. And what a great photo!

I don't know how, but I missed that photo of your kids...

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super - duper cute kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are ya doin' Liddy???? I haven't seen you around much today... Well, I had to work - so that might explain part of it.

D~ <---Just checking up on my favorite fellow Tennessean. ;)

Ah...Autotrain! We had talked about it for years, but it is a bit expensive so we never did it. However my youngest DS LOVES LOVES LOVES trains...so we knew we had to try it this year. Our kids knew we were going to Disney for our trip...but thought we were leaving a day or two later than we did and had NO IDEA we were taking a TRAIN! So it's specific to Amtrak and I think only to the East Coast...a train where you can take your car along with you! :) In fact, you can't book this particular train route without a vehicle. It runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL (which is about a 45 minute drive to Disney) and you book both your train trip and your vehicle at the same time. We were going to do coach (pretty cheap) but ended up upgrading to sleeper cars eventually, figuring if we were going to experience it, we should do it in a big way. It was such fun and you can read all about it, and see photos, in my trip report link below for June! ;)

I had never heard of that ... but that's pretty neat! :goodvibes

This was by far one of the things I was disappointed about on our last trip. We did not plan well in thinking that this ride would have the waits that it did now that it was new and improved...and we never got to see it! DH and I will DEFINITELY be trying it for our upcoming trip and will try not to spoil it for the rest when they go back with us in November! :rotfl: It's funny, I HATE simulator rides...they almost always make me feel a bit queasy...sucks getting old because I used to love ALL rides! :eek: For years I avoided Star Tours (and Body Wars when it was open) because I always emerged feeling a big BLECH! It was only on our Dec. 2009 trip, when all three kids were finally big enough to ride this one, that I decided to attempt it again after not riding it for years. I did okay with it...and then they went and changed it after that! I can't wait to see the changes! :)

See, I'm the opposite on simulators... I suffer from moderate motion sickness. I have to take something when in a car for long periods of time, and I struggle on most rides (so I take Bonine while at WDW). However, simulators rarely phase me. (Okay, the 3D effects in Mission Space bother me.) I think part of it is because I immerse myself into the story -- so if its a mediocre story, then I'll probably get a bit queasy ... but since the ST ride is a blast, I never notice it. DH did comment that it bothered him ... however, I think it was because we ate dinner and then rode (his idea). :confused3

Can't blame you -- I hate driving through Atlanta. :scared1:

You just described my husband and my driving habits. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

The kids will do fine...I bet they will both doze anyway. And what a great photo!

I just hate driving - period. :lmao:

Too funn! :lmao:

I'm sure they will do fine, but I know its rough to be excited about something and having all that time to dwell on it. At least it is for me. :rotfl2:

I don't know how, but I missed that photo of your kids...

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super - duper cute kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are ya doin' Liddy???? I haven't seen you around much today... Well, I had to work - so that might explain part of it.

D~ <---Just checking up on my favorite fellow Tennessean. ;)

I'm a bit crazy about them adorable kiddos myself. ;)

I've been sick -- I think Saturday's dinner didn't fare well with me. :confused3 I missed my first day of classes today (which totally has me stressed), but keeping in touch with my professors. I have a paper due Friday (well, rough draft is due Wednesday), so been working on it. I also have a Marketing project due that I need to work on. Things have just been crazy around here! :crazy: Plus, I can't get classes in the time frame that I need them in for next semester, so that's weighing me down. I'm meeting with an advisor tomorrow to get my classes schedule for Spring. :sad2: Can I not just fork over the cash and them hand me a degree? :confused3 :lmao::rotfl2:

Late to the party but here none the less, now to go back and read :wave:

I've been sick -- I think Saturday's dinner didn't fare well with me. :confused3 I missed my first day of classes today (which totally has me stressed), but keeping in touch with my professors. I have a paper due Friday (well, rough draft is due Wednesday), so been working on it. I also have a Marketing project due that I need to work on. Things have just been crazy around here! :crazy: Plus, I can't get classes in the time frame that I need them in for next semester, so that's weighing me down. I'm meeting with an advisor tomorrow to get my classes schedule for Spring. :sad2: Can I not just fork over the cash and them hand me a degree? :confused3 :lmao::rotfl2:

That's too bad that you're not feeling well. I hope you start feeling better soon.

And that's really a bummer about your classes too - I really hope you are able to figure it out. :lovestruc

D~

your kids are adorable.

I am behind as usual.

I hate driving anywhere also. I think that comes from Living in NY though. :rotfl2:

Feel better.

Late to the party but here none the less, now to go back and read :wave:

:welcome:

I was hoping the band would eventually show up ... but it appears they are MIA. :sad: Oh, well! We'll still party on, right? :woohoo:

That's too bad that you're not feeling well. I hope you start feeling better soon.

And that's really a bummer about your classes too - I really hope you are able to figure it out. :lovestruc

D~

Thanks D~! :hug: Feeling well enough to attempt classes today.

I'm hoping I can get in to see an advisor today. I'm still ticked that they gave me an advisor at a different campus (who isn't even a part of my major!). I mean, c'mon, an Accounting major needs an Accounting advisor ... not an Economics one. I don't even have to take Economics. :confused3 But since registration opened up yesterday, I'm sure the advisor will have a nice long wait. Will my Lines app work? Can I check his wait times? :lmao::rotfl2:

your kids are adorable.

I am behind as usual.

I hate driving anywhere also. I think that comes from Living in NY though. :rotfl2:

Feel better.

Thank you! I'm a bit fond of them kids myself. ;)

I stay behind. I think that's part of life. :rotfl:

Oh wow ... yeah, I think I'd be over driving, too, in NY! :scared1:

Thank you! Feeling much better today. :hug:

Today, I am on a mission. Well, pending I can get in/out of the advisor's office quickly. You folks are in for a real treat! I can't wait to tell you all about it and post pictures! (Hoping for pics tomorrow.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter