March 12, 2011 Eastern Caribbean, Let's rock the Magic!

pirate: Pirate Night is Tuesday, March 15th, St. Maarten day pirate:pirate:

I have heard that they can't sail around with live fireworks on the ship, so they probably pick them up in a port... St. Maarten has been the one on the last few navigators.

Have you all (especially the newbies) checked out the sticky on the first page of the DCL forum? There is sooo much great information including a packing list. Definitely check it out. Here is the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2068966

Hope everyone is having fun getting ready!

Marcy

Has anyone heard what the weather is like? I am wondering if there is a link or a place to get updates....shorts or capris is what I'm trying to decide...???

pirate: Pirate Night is Tuesday, March 15th, St. Maarten day pirate:pirate:

I have heard that they can't sail around with live fireworks on the ship, so they probably pick them up in a port... St. Maarten has been the one on the last few navigators.

Have you all (especially the newbies) checked out the sticky on the first page of the DCL forum? There is sooo much great information including a packing list. Definitely check it out. Here is the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2068966

Hope everyone is having fun getting ready!

Marcy

:confused3:confused3when did this start:confused3:confused3

Rob

Hi all

My kids are keep asking which is pirate night. They are really excited about their costumes. When is that? pirate:

We have our suitcases half full in the hall right now. How many do you think we can safely fit in a room? I think we might be going overboard! Looks like we will have one big case, two medium and two carry ons and a soft cooler on wheels.

Can't wait!

Chris.

We have one large suitcase and a garment bag for DH and me and the girls each have a medium rolling duffle. We also have one carry on and a backpack. I was worried it wouldn't all fit but I think we'll be OK. Now, I just have to get it all in the car for the drive to Florida! :scared1:

Only 3 more sleeps until we leave home and 6 more sleeps until the cruise!!! :banana::cheer2::banana:

Michelle

We have one large suitcase and a garment bag for DH and me and the girls each have a medium rolling duffle. We also have one carry on and a backpack. I was worried it wouldn't all fit but I think we'll be OK. Now, I just have to get it all in the car for the drive to Florida! :scared1:

Only 3 more sleeps until we leave home and 6 more sleeps until the cruise!!! :banana::cheer2::banana:

Michelle

HOLY COW I just noticed that you are driving all the way from Canada I thought my 600 mile trips from Dallas to my land in west Texas was a long drive:scared1:
Have a safe trip

Rob

:confused3:confused3when did this start:confused3:confused3

Rob

Ah, gee... I have no idea where I heard this now that you ask...
Seems like it was back when we took our first cruise which was a Mexican Riveria in 2005, or maybe from an old DCL travel channel show... But maybe I'm perpetuating misinformation. They also said they have to be a certain distance from land before the fireworks can start too.

Kind of makes sense though, fires have been known to break out on cruise ships, having a stock pile of fireworks seems risky.

Hey everyone -
So, it was suggested that if early arrivers want to meet at the terminal on embarkation day, we could get a jump on introductions...
We all know how to recognize Mark and Shadow :goodvibes, and I am hard to miss unless standing in a crowd.
I'm just under 5" tall, blond... well, I guess I look like my avatar. :thumbsup2

Feel free to come up and say "Hi!":flower3:

Anyone else want to be recognized early? Isn't it fun to think of how to describe yourself!!? :lmao:

Just packed the pirate outfit! pirate:
Oh and some duct tape, power strip, and bandaids. :rolleyes:

Marcy

I just put 2 Disney CDs in my car CD player (it's a tradition before every Disney cruise, gets me excited!):banana:

I'll try to post a photo of us from our last cruise.:)

Priscilla

HOLY COW I just noticed that you are driving all the way from Canada I thought my 600 mile trips from Dallas to my land in west Texas was a long drive:scared1:
Have a safe trip

Rob

It is a long drive but a lot of people from Southern Ontario do it every winter. DH and I both enjoy driving and the girls have lots of DVDs and DS games to keep them occupied. :)

We're driving 5 hours Wednesday night, about 10 hours on Thursday and another 6 on Friday. :car: We should arrive in Cocoa Beach early Friday afternoon. So far, it looks like the weather is going to cooperate so that's a good thing.

We did look into flights but the cheapest we found were going to cost $2,500..and they were all connecting flights that were going to involve 12 hours of travel time anyway. Direct flights from Toronto were over $4,000 for 4 of us.

So...after all this driving, I'll be VERY ready for a glass of vino when we meet in the Promenade lounge at 3:00 on Saturday. :drinking1

Michelle

img001.jpg

This is us...2 years ago...

We are planning on getting on the MCO bus at 9ish or whatever the first one is and getting to the terminal. I am planning on us wearing red Disney shirts like we did last time...??? We'll see. :)

Ok, so I woke up Saturday morning from a dream that I was getting married in a week. I thought I was all prepared for my wedding, and then began to realize that I hadn't altered my dress, ordered dresses for bridesmaids, reserved a cake...the list kept getting longer!

Now I am 43 years old and have been married 14 years...I'm past the 'dreaming about my wedding' stage of life. Could it possibly be that after a year of dreaming and planning, I am not as prepared for this trip as I wanted to be?!?

I hope to have a productive 3 more days!

Ladies, are there hairdryers in the staterooms? Do you bring your own? Do you like the Disney shampoo/conditioner? I'm hesitant to trust it...

Ah, gee... I have no idea where I heard this now that you ask...
Seems like it was back when we took our first cruise which was a Mexican Riveria in 2005, or maybe from an old DCL travel channel show... But maybe I'm perpetuating misinformation. They also said they have to be a certain distance from land before the fireworks can start too.

Kind of makes sense though, fires have been known to break out on cruise ships, having a stock pile of fireworks seems risky.

Hey everyone -
So, it was suggested that if early arrivers want to meet at the terminal on embarkation day, we could get a jump on introductions...
We all know how to recognize Mark and Shadow :goodvibes, and I am hard to miss unless standing in a crowd.
I'm just under 5" tall, blond... well, I guess I look like my avatar. :thumbsup2

Feel free to come up and say "Hi!":flower3:

Anyone else want to be recognized early? Isn't it fun to think of how to describe yourself!!? :lmao:

Just packed the pirate outfit! pirate:
Oh and some duct tape, power strip, and bandaids. :rolleyes:

Marcy
I would love to meet people at the port. We plan on being there early...I'm of the mindset that the true vacation begins when we get on the ship, and I love the excitement and anticipation of waiting around for the boarding to begin! If all works out, our family will be wearing matching shirts-either lime or red (and make sure you harass my hubby...he will be the one with the "I'm too cool to match my family" face on!):laughing: But if I can't get the matching to work out, then we will be the family of mini-me's (daddy/son and mommy/daughter).
I have no idea how to make a picture show up here, so here's a link to a picture of us (if it doesn't work, let me know...possibly with instructions...):

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0CbuWjZu1ZM3XQ

This is a pic of us from November of 2009, so the kids are a little bigger, but me and the hubs look about the same...

On a different note, most of you know that I have had us nearly packed for a month. Now, after many many hours, I have finally completed one of the FE gifts!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1: Please dance around with me! I didn't realize/remember how much time it would take to make each one, so those of you in the FE exchange, forgive my imperfections and know that it was truly a labor of love (and don't tell me if you hate them! :rolleyes1)

Now I just have to make the FE, door magnets, t-shirts for 2 families...Oh, and I work full time and have kids activities until 8pm every night this week leading up to our departure of Friday morning...I'd better get busy!!! At least these are optional...I can always use a tote for the FE, and have a blank door and no matching shirts---but how fun would that be!?! :rotfl:

I had the kids packed and thought our stuff would fit in with theirs. :rotfl: So have now taken out another suitcase and will have to unpack all of their clothes and repack as I like to split everthing evenly amongst the cases in case one is lost or delayed. We will have for the 4 of us: 2 large suitcases, 1 medium, 2 rolling carry-ons, 1 backpack and 1 totebag for carryon. Our friends are driving down and are taking down our garment bag with formal wear and a small carry-on size case with shoes. Am I packing too much?:scared1:

Still to pack/do: charge ipods, DS's, kindle, camera and pack assorted chargers. Double check flights night before. Pack toiletries (morning of). Write up instructions for housesitters.

I can't believe how fast this is coming up! So excited!!! :woohoo:

Whoa! I was reading some posts in the main forum and a question about shorts on kids at dinner came up. I don't recall ANY of the documentation from Disney stating "no shorts" at dinner. (I'll go double check! ;)) I'm a little freaked now, since I packed shorts (cute plaid shorts with a polo shirt) for my son every night. I did pack a nice button down shirt and tie with khakis for formal/semi formal nights. As far as shoes, I packed flip flops (pool pair and a nice leather pair) and tennis shoes.

Do you really think he needs a pair of pants for the evenings?? And dress shoes? He's 4......

Whoa! I was reading some posts in the main forum and a question about shorts on kids at dinner came up. I don't recall ANY of the documentation from Disney stating "no shorts" at dinner. (I'll go double check! ;)) I'm a little freaked now, since I packed shorts (cute plaid shorts with a polo shirt) for my son every night. I did pack a nice button down shirt and tie with khakis for formal/semi formal nights. As far as shoes, I packed flip flops (pool pair and a nice leather pair) and tennis shoes.

Do you really think he needs a pair of pants for the evenings?? And dress shoes? He's 4......

The dining rooms do get rather cold in the evening, I would not want to be in shorts even if the were allowed.

Rob

The dining rooms do get rather cold in the evening, I would not want to be in shorts even if the were allowed.

Rob

Good point! What are your thoughts on shoes? He has a clean/unworn pair of navy Chuck Taylors that I planned on him wearing. If he needs "dress" shoes, I need to get some ASAP since his are too small.

Thanks! It's our first time!

Good point! What are your thoughts on shoes? He has a clean/unworn pair of navy Chuck Taylors that I planned on him wearing. If he needs "dress" shoes, I need to get some ASAP since his are too small.

Thanks! It's our first time!

I think the Chuck Taylors will be fine:thumbsup2 I remember when we first started cruising and our daughter was 7 how miserable she was sitting there for 1 1/2-2 hours cold.

Rob

Ladies, are there hairdryers in the staterooms? Do you bring your own? Do you like the Disney shampoo/conditioner? I'm hesitant to trust it...

The hairdryers are .... weird... to say the least. They look like something a salon would use to "blow" clean the area just used for a cut. They work in a pinch, but if you are use to a regular hand held dryer, bring your own.

I have always been happy with the products they provide on the ship, and am planning on NOT getting more until after sailing for our second week in Orlando. They are H20 brand unless something has changed. And, of course, you can get as much or more than you need from your stateroom attendent. They work for their tips and giving out extra product is an easy way to keep customers happy!:goodvibes

So, I started writing up a list of first names... There are so many of you I am so looking forward to meeting in person! I still keep in touch with two of the families I met on the DIS meets threads from my 2005 cruise. One lives in Hawaii and one near Disneyland, so we have been fortunate enough to be "in their neighborhoods!"
Why no one comes here for vacation escapes me... we have one of the top Rodeo events in the country on Labor Day!! :yay:

Ok, Rodeo is not exactly my speed either... Went the first year we moved here but watching the baby calves being roped... "mooooo" they called out... I realized there was no Cowgirl in me!!

Fortunately there is a major university here too, and my DH is a prof in the music department... Lots of 'other' culture to add into the ranching/cowboy culture already here.

Had our "housesitter" over for a briefing tonight. She was surprised that we wanted to pay her along with getting to stay at the house! Sheesh, it's
$33/day plus tax to board the dogs, so if I pay her $22-25/day she is ecstatic and the dogs get to be in their own envrionment.
YEA for everyone! :yay:

Safe travels to those of you leaving soon! :)

Marcy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter