Marathon Weekend Weather

So you know you are a pre race mess when your co-workers post a sign on your office door that reads Warning Pre Marathon Breakdown Occurring Inside :rotfl2: Even has a little biohazard symbol with mouse ears on it hahahaha!

My co-workers rock!

DisDan09 said:
So you know you are a pre race mess when your co-workers post a sign on your office door that reads Warning Pre Marathon Breakdown Occurring Inside :rotfl2: Even has a little biohazard symbol with mouse ears on it hahahaha!

My co-workers rock!

Oh wow...I need that sign! Have them make it into a Facebook cover

...(4) This is the year to avoid NSAIDs (Advil, Motrin, Aleeve, Apsirin, etc) starting the day before the race and up until you can urinate normally post race.

5) Start working on hydration NOW. Keep you urine nearly clear through the week. Do not go overboard with hydrating.
Hope this helps
Thanks for all the tips! Will definitely do #5. Can you remind me why #4 is a bad idea?

It's best to race like you trained. I tend to not train with sport drink either but will take it during a race... though through the years I know I can add it on race day with little issue. I would expect Jon (the race director) to send out an email suggesting runners take on a sport drink if the weather holds. You know your body better than anyone and it is purely your call on whether you add the drink or not. If you decide to try, understand it is half strength so it should be easier on the stomach. I would also try it on one aid station and chase it with a cup of water. Then skip the next station so you know how it sits. Again, you know your body and the old axiom of do nothing new on race day should weigh heavily.
I've always alternated - sports drink one station, water the next, repeat. But I just read somewhere that this dilutes the electrolytes and makes them not work. Thoughts?

Kerblamo!! :rotfl:
I'm ready for the hit. Come and get me, heat!! (This is 99% mental, right? )
Yes!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the tips! Will definitely do #5. Can you remind me why #4 is a bad idea?

I've always alternated - sports drink one station, water the next, repeat. But I just read somewhere that this dilutes the electrolytes and makes them not work. Thoughts?

Yes!! :thumbsup2
The short answer is that it can fry the kidneys. A NSAID works by constricting blood vessels and thus flow to areas of inflammation. This can be hard on organs in general as a loss of blood flow also results while taking the meds. Normally, this is not a problem as the organs have enough blood flow to live. However, during an endurance event the body will also naturally start to shunt flow to organs in an effort to supply working muscles and keep the brain functioning. The net result may be that the kidneys receive a double whammy while on the run and may start to suffer tissue damage. In addition, if that were not enough, there is evidence that the use of NSAIDs can be a contributing factor to hyponatremia  or water poisoning. This is really a loss of blood sodium levels to a point that the body cannot function.

I am not really sure that I agree with the thought exactly as expressed. I believe that it may be the opposite where if one only takes on an overly concentrated sport drink at a couple stops or a fuel source without enough water that it can back the system up and shut down the stomach as it tries to process the solids (solids being the electrolytes and microcrystals in the drink mix , gel or other food stuffs that require liquids to process). Note that the stomach is shut down or nearly shut down as we run in order to devote its blood flow to the legs. Once this starts to happen, the stomach will not process anything new until it clears the stuff it is having a hard time processing. Studies indicate that it will draw liquids from the body to help process and push these solids through.  even though there may be an oversupply of water that may have entered from the next water stop or two. The bottom line here is that if one notices a sloshing in the belly it is better to skip water, sport drink and fuel until the sloshing stops.

This race is that the sport drinks are served diluted and only taking one every other stop should be fine. If you are going to change this for this weekend, I would suggest adding a sip to the sport drink stop. Regardless, stick close to what you know has worked in the past and you should be fine.

Long way of saying stick to your training.

Oh wow...I need that sign! Have them make it into a Facebook cover

WDWM_BioWarning.jpg

Here you go!

This should have been over on the Marathon Page... Sorry for the unintentioned hijack everyone!

Low of 63 at Race start with an average increase of 2.17 degrees per hour.
This gives a temp of 73 Deg +/- at 10 am and 76 at Noon.

Is that accurate? How does the temperature go up between 5:35 and 7:00 if the sun isn't up yet? :confused3

Is that accurate? How does the temperature go up between 5:35 and 7:00 if the sun isn't up yet? :confused3

LOL Thats a an average divison of time and temp. (and yes temps can fluctuate as cold and warm fronts move through even without the Sun being up yet and frying our noggins :) ) The rest of the post clears that up... Steady until 9ish then kerblamo. Meaning the temp/humidity will be fairly constant till about 9 then temps will begin to rise steadily and rapidly while humidity decreases.
However the combination of temps and humidity will still be a very big factor. Coach has a good formula
There is an old rule of thumb that says if temps are above 65F you should look to modify pace. There is a secondary rule that says if the combination of Temperature + Humidity > 130, you should consider adjusting pace. With the latter rule, one could be looking to pull back on pace at the start in many of the forecasts below& A race start of 55 with 90% humidity yields a 145 so one should think it over. In a half, I probably would not adjust but for the full I would think about pulling back just a bit; depending on the forecast for the end.

Have a great, and safe, run!

Steady until 9ish then kerblamo. Meaning the temp/humidity will be fairly constant till about 9 then temps will begin to rise steadily and rapidly while humidity decreases.

Okay, that's not too bad for me then. More motivation to run faster for the full.

I do remember one year at DL where it was 69 at race start and held okay until about 1:15 after the start. I finished 10 minutes later, but it was noticeably warmer. Felt terrible for all the people still out on the course. Came back after a shower and cheered on the brave runners who were still out there at three hours and temps in the 80s. That's the group I really respected.

Okay, that's not too bad for me then. More motivation to run faster for the full.

I do remember one year at DL where it was 69 at race start and held okay until about 1:15 after the start. I finished 10 minutes later, but it was noticeably warmer. Felt terrible for all the people still out on the course. Came back after a shower and cheered on the brave runners who were still out there at three hours and temps in the 80s. That's the group I really respected.

Absolutely right! Ill be in around 4 plus hours. Im always in awe of someone who can go 2 hours or more longer. I'll be out there cheering with you. They deserve it:thumbsup2

No real change.

Yuck - great for friends and family, gonna kick tail on the runners.

So,

No more obsessing. It is what it is. We trained, We'll experience it, we'll kick the weatherman's tail.

This time next week, the race will be a memory. First timers, take in as much of the weekend as you can. You only have one first. take picture, pull back on speed, do not over hydrate, but keep on top of it. As with all journeys, this journey is one step at a time.

Ugh, trying to mentally prepare for this heat. I was so worried about another "Disney on ice" when I signed up, and now I am worried about being too hot! Making adjustments in what I am wearing for the race and drinking lots of water this week.
I am in corral C - we go at 5:49 am, I am about a 10 min/miler, plus a bit for heat and photo stops. Sunrise should be around 7:30 am, so should get over 10 miles in before the sun comes up I hope. The last 10K is going to be brutal.
Like coach said, nothing we can do about it, so trying to wrap my brain around it and just make the best of it!

Ugh, trying to mentally prepare for this heat. I was so worried about another "Disney on ice" when I signed up, and now I am worried about being too hot! Making adjustments in what I am wearing for the race and drinking lots of water this week.
I am in corral C - we go at 5:49 am, I am about a 10 min/miler, plus a bit for heat and photo stops. Sunrise should be around 7:30 am, so should get over 10 miles in before the sun comes up I hope. The last 10K is going to be brutal.
Like coach said, nothing we can do about it, so trying to wrap my brain around it and just make the best of it!

Bring sun shades... Your post got me started thinking about Osceola again. You will be cruising into the sun from 8:10 though 8:40. When you pull out onto Osceola that will be the first time you get the full feel of the sun. Unfortunately, if there are no clouds, you will be looking at a sun that is 10-15 degrees above the horizon for about half the time over to WWoS. As a frame of reference, 10 degrees is roughly one fist height above the horizon when the arm is fully extended.

The great news is that you should be in WWoS before the heater turns on.

Ok, I'm slightly (ahem, majorly) freaking out about the heat. This is my first full marathon and first runDisney event. I don't run well when I'm hot and I mentally go bat(beep) crazy. I completed a 20 mile training run here in Charlotte while it was in the low 60's and had a meltdown at mile 15. Anywho, I was just wondering how many ounces of water should I be drinking per day leading up to Sunday? Also, I never trained with sports drinks during a training run, always after. Should I just stick to water during the race?

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the next few days - I'm already so anxious!:yay:

Ugh, trying to mentally prepare for this heat. I was so worried about another "Disney on ice" when I signed up,

I like that "Disney on Ice". I was amazed at how well prepared they were back in 2010 for the ice by having salt at the water stations. No issues there, but I did get a bit of Ice Capades in either on the boardwalk or near the entrance to Epcot. There was a boardwalk or wood bridge section that had frost on it. I planted and slid a few inches--which after 20+ miles was almost disastrous. But, I got traction again and tiptoed on until I hit concrete again.

At least we will have have nice weather for our post-race celebrations. Wearing a ski parka through Epcot after the 2010 was not my favorite celebration.

Ok, I'm slightly (ahem, majorly) freaking out about the heat. This is my first full marathon and first runDisney event. I don't run well when I'm hot and I mentally go bat(beep) crazy. I completed a 20 mile training run here in Charlotte while it was in the low 60's and had a meltdown at mile 15. Anywho, I was just wondering how many ounces of water should I be drinking per day leading up to Sunday? Also, I never trained with sports drinks during a training run, always after. Should I just stick to water during the race?

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the next few days - I'm already so anxious!:yay:

Deep breaths! Rule of thumb for the hydration these next few days is "clear/slightly yellow pee" For me, that just means adding another 16-20 oz of water over the fluids I already get during the day. Of course, this amount depends on how much you normally drink--hence the rule of thu,b regarding urine color.

As for race day, I personally would not want to do a marathon relying entirely on water. That said, you haven't trained with anything else, so I wouldn't recommend starting to try different things like electrolytes or fuel at this point (okay--maybe I'd try electrolytes). But I think you should try to take in some Powerade at the water stops. It's half strength, so it should go down easier. I wouldn't recommend at every stop--maybe every 2 or 3. That way you would mitigate any GI issues you might have, but still get some electrolytes (which is key)

Coach will surely have a more defined answer.

Maura

Do you take any gels when you run? If so, I'd try to avoid a gel and sport drink at the same time. That's a lot for your stomach to handle. I generally stick to water, but I also take a gel about every 5 miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter