• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend Tips

I called the race organizers a few months ago and was told that they'd be serving Poweraid, Power Bars, Power Gel, bananas and Coke on the course. I think they said other stuff, but once I heard they were giving out Coke I lost my concentration.

Here's a question. I'm staying at a monorail hotel. How late can I really head out on race morning? It would seem that I could leave later than they say.

You could probably get away with leaving a bit later--as you exit the monorail at epcot--you head to the crowds in the parking lot! If facing the entrance of EPCOT--that would be to the left.

YOu could probably "get away" with 4:30 or so, maybe even 5am. Which hotel are you staying at. If at the Poly--you can just walk over to the EPCOT monorail (skip the circuit!). They say for the busses to plan no later than 4am.

You will be competing with runners and spectators for monorail space--a little birdie (CM) told me that racers get priority over a spectator. But how that manifests, I am not sure.

Lisa and Welovedis - It was my confusion about the massage price. I misread Welovedis' post and thought he/she meant the massage tents were $80. On the second post I saw that price was for massage at BW.

Sorry for the confusion.

Terri

No big deal at all guys! :teeth: I just wanted to make sure I posted it correctly that I didn't get a post race massage at the race end, just too darn tired to find it after the 1/2 and the bus fiasco we had.

I went back to the resort, called the health club and they only had a 1 hour (or 55 mins or something) time slot left so I took it and with my DVC discount it was about $80 with the tip.

Just wanted to clarify & I knew that no one was not being nice, just wanted people to know it costs big-time to get one done later.

Happy training guys! :)

I have just a few things to add to this great thread....

I ran the full marathon last year--things that I recall as being important:

If you want something you see at the EXPO, buy it then! (We didn't want to jinx ourselves by puchasing the "I did it" T-shirt before the race and never found it again---many frustrating phone calls from home to Wide World of Sports)
If you need to pick up someone elses race packet at the EXPO you can, you just have to have: photo copy of their driver's license, thier Official Race Number Pick-up Card and signed Waiver. I also had a signed letter stating it was okay for me to pick it up. My husband got into Orlando late the afternoon before the race. The packet pick up and a quick walk thru of the expo took us a good hour. The parking lot was almost full when we got there. We did not really stop at any of the booths----it was wall-to-wall people w/ not enough space in there.

We stayed at BWI & we got to the bus about 330a. Yes, it is early but we survived and will do the same thing again this year. It is nearly impossible to walk from any of the EPCOT resorts to the start. They say the last bus runs at 4am, I don't know how true that is but I wasn't willing to risk it after all the training we had put in. Personally, if I were to stay on the monorail I would probably get on it by 430a. We will probably aim to be on the bus by 4am this year instead of 330am.

Lots of people at the port o potties outside AK w/ long waits.

Yellow Gatorade, lots of flavors of power gel and powerbars, bannanas, oranges (just one food station had oranges, I believe mile 13 or 14--they tasted SOOO good I wanted more to have them!!!), water sponges around mile 18, candy at 2 stations--one was mile 23 and one was somewhere around mile 9??) They also provide HUGE containers of an "icy hot" type product that people were slathering all over themselves. The volunteers will also rub it in if needed. Many medical tents sent up along the route.
The only place I saw COKE was at the finish line--I did not see any soda on the course, and I was desperate enough a few times to take one if I would have seen one :rotfl2:

One thing about eating/drinking--don't don't don't do anything on race day that you haven't been doing in training. Getting sick while trying to finish a half or full marathon is NOT FUN!

I wore a fanny pack and it worked out great. I will carry a cell phone in my fanny pack this year--my family was not able to meet us at our "designated" spots d/t traffic issues and getting stuck on a disney bus for an hour (they drove to TTC and that was a huge mistake. Anyone trying to get around to cheer on race mornings should use the monorail. :cheer2: ) Maybe w/ the races split on 2 days the traffic won't be such an issue but I personally wouldn't risk it.
Things that i personally will have in my fanny pack: cell phone, I-Pod, power gu of my flavor (vanilla--I don't want to risk them not having it), kleenex, chap stick, aqua-phor (I use this in the "rub" spots), park hopper (we walk thru EPCOT after the race back to BWI), room key. I would also make sure you get a fanny pack that is intended for running and try it out before the marathon. Another great idea is to try out your clothes before race morning--make sure they are comfortable!

We had massages at the BW the afternoon after the race. It was good and I believe it helped the next day but the therapists are a bit hesitant to get deep they day of the race :rolleyes1 . I do know that they did not have any appointments so if you plan on having a massage the day of or the day after the race make arrangements NOW!!!

Happy training....the accomplishment of all the physical training and mental anguish leading up to that morning will overwhelm you with emotions!

Thanks 10nis for the info about the 4a.m. bus. We're staying @ BWV & guess will get that bus, as I've been advised here that walking is out of the question.

I have a question about the finish line. Are there certain "places" you can arrange to meet up w/ your party? I'm only doing the 1/2...is it possible for a cheering section on the streets over by mile 7 or 8? How would they get there? Walk? And if they did, would they be able to get back to the finish line b-4 I got there? (I know my husband could run past me & get there first, but do they provide any transportation?). :confused3

If I'm running the 1/2 do you think I need to carr a fanny pack? I never have b-4. Is it a real good idea to carry a phone? Never thought of that, but guess it'd make sense. Is it worth wearing a fanny pack just for that? :confused3 Sorry for all the ?s, but I'm starting to get worked up over all this stuff.

What did your spouses/significant others to while you were racing (remember, i'm only doing the 1/2) If it's only 1 person (hubby), can he cheer me on in multiple places, or should we concentrate on the start, mile 8 or so, & the finish. Is this even possible logistically? :confused3

Thanks
Jodi

Jodi--I sent you an email! Hope it helps. I think I answered most of your questions but I would say that the start, mile 6-8 and the finish is a great plan for watching.

Don't get worked up--it will be so much fun!

TTFN.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
when you cross the finish line--DO NOT look at your watch....look up--smile and clear the area. Who cares if your watch has a few extra added seconds. Your time and :teeth: will be documented on camera. :smooth:

HTH!

These are all GREAT! I'm taking notes. I never would have thought of this finish line tip-- thanks! I'm assuming a smile will be possible at that point!

Do they have bleachers/benches at the finish area for spectators? Or does everyone just stand while waiting for the runners to finish?

Terri

plutosmyfav said:
These are all GREAT! I'm taking notes. I never would have thought of this finish line tip-- thanks! I'm assuming a smile will be possible at that point!

What's funny--our coaches have us practice this all season too.

So everytime we see a camera we will: :teeth: .

Both my pics where I was aware of a camera were nice and :teeth: .

Tek224...Yes--they have bleachers..lots of them. Depending on finish time--I am sure they are crowded...but MY little tip and secret.

The BEST place for a cheering section so that you can finish your best--is....when they are facing the bleachers from behind...to go allll the way to the right--and stand in the corner.

As the runners come through EPCOT--and duck around the back to get lined up with the finish chutes---there is Nothing...okay there is the Gospel choir--but i mean no places for spectators. And then all of a sudden..people in that one little spot appear. I tell you--couldn't ID my family anywhere..except for my mom in this one spot. And after dogging a race...finishing 7:13+ hours.....I documented and clocked on my garmin--a sub-6:00 mile. It's like I saw them..and man, no more pain...had to look good...had to look cool...and I TRUCKED!

All time best place for a family member at the finish. You won't see them in the bleachers...and you should be smiling for a camera anyway :teeth: . So anybody that would be your final dose of endorphins when you see them for the last 0.2 or sprint....that is the sweet spot. The want to be almost as far right as they can get along the barricade!

____________________________*****
________Announcer Booth_____******
*****FINISH CHUTE*********
Bleachers Bleachers SWEET SPOT

Thanks Lisa,

I didn't figure I'd see my niece in the bleachers (I'm just hoping to still be ono my feet by then :teeth: ). She's not running the full, so she'll probably want a place to sit while she's waiting for me (assuming she gets out of bed in the morning).

Terri

TEK224 said:
Thanks Lisa,

I didn't figure I'd see my niece in the bleachers (I'm just hoping to still be ono my feet by then :teeth: ). She's not running the full, so she'll probably want a place to sit while she's waiting for me (assuming she gets out of bed in the morning).

Terri

So she gets the family to hold spot--you call her on the cell phone when you are in the last mile and VOILA instant cheering section!

:rotfl: It took forever, but I finally found the spot with the answers!!!!! Running my 10th marathon but my first disney and not sure about how spectators can get from place to place. Does any one know if disney is tracking athletes progress and posting to cell phones, emails, etc?

The safest and easiest way for spectators to get around the morning of the marathon is the Monorail. They can watch at several spots along the route via monorail--traffic is awful that morning!!! (mile 9 at Ticket and Transportation center and then they can get on the resort monorail and watch at Grand Floridian-mile 12. IF they want, they could ride the bus from Grand Floridian to Animal Kingdom and catch us running thru that parking lot at mile 17+, then take the bus back to EPCOT for the finish). Magic Kindgom is listed as a viewing spot but it is crazy hectic in there and you could catch them in 2 places around MK very easily and avoid the crowd at MK. When I went thru there last year people were 10 deep down Main Street.

Last year they had the cell phone/email updates, it was a "test." I haven't read/heard anything about them providing that service again this year. It was GREAT to have it. Here is the email we got last year in regards to this:

Live Results

We are pleased to announce for the first time, live, real-time results tracking will be available in multiple formats during the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon and Half Marathon.

Would you like to see where your family member or friend is on the course before you go looking for them? Now you can. Be one of the first 1,000 participants to sign up today to help us test the 2005 WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Test Tracking Service. With this, you will be notified where your friend or family member is on the course at five different stages of the race.

Tyvek disposable clothing is a good idea, I used them in Motorola Marathon and loved it. However, I thought that DIsney was going to have a clothing drop off at the start....anyone know? Also, do family members need ticket to get into MK main street for viewing mile 10-11? :wave:

yes, they will have a "gear bag check in" -- you use the plastic bag provided at pick up to put warm up clothes in. Bags must be checked before 5am...

Disney donates all discarded clothing along the course route. I think alot of people shed layers along the way--buy things at Salvation army or use old warm ups. We will have almost an hour in the corral waiting for the start. Last year it was warm but the year before very, very cold.

No ticket is needed to get in to MK for cheering race morning. Only Main Street and one side street are open. I noticed not very many people ventured down main street, it was very-very crowded where the course first enters MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter