Marathon Weekend 2023

Had to settle for Goofy. I'm so incredibly pissed right now. My original queue link still has a wait time. Thanks to someone on here (I can't even remember who at this point because I was frantically clicking queue links), I managed to get Goofy before it sold out. This whole debacle is shameful.

Related, a friend of mine who ran Dopey last year said that sometimes more spots open up later. Does anyone have experience upgrading from a Goofy or other races to a Dopey when that happens?

I was able to upgrade last year. You can do it right through your account when you see it open. Mine was a bit of a pain because I had three individual registrations and went to Dopey so I had to email to get the refund for the other two.

I had Dopey in my cart - got nervous and hesitated, and it was gone. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be? Or I can get it later if it pops up?

Someone mentioned running by raising money for a charity. How do you do that?
There's a lot to scroll through on this page but if you scroll down you'll see a list of charities. Each one has its own rules and fundraising requirements. I ran for Kellsie's Hope for Princess this year and it made the race weekend so much more meaningful.

ETA: I forgot to actually add the link! @1GoldenSun

https://noguiltdisney.com/rundisney-walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend-charities-list/

Last edited:

I was able to upgrade last year. You can do it right through your account when you see it open. Mine was a bit of a pain because I had three individual registrations and went to Dopey so I had to email to get the refund for the other two.
I've upgraded in the past several times. :) But what you want to upgrade to has to be open. Not sure what can happen at this point.

I'm kind of suspicious that there might be something fishy going on with the tech on this one. Yes, I know that people predicted that this would go fast, but to have EVERYTHING sold out in less an hour. That's abnormal.
Yeah, it does seem to be going very fast - reminiscent of peak running years, 2015-16ish?? But even then, I’m not sure how fast the challenges sold out.

Maybe last year people weren’t quite ready to commit, but now everyone is wanting to come back???

With this sell out timing, just watch how fast Club RunDisney memberships fly off the shelf next month.
I was thinking about that too - maybe it's time to cough up some extra $$ to side step this insanity.

There's a lot to scroll through on this page but if you scroll down you'll see a list of charities. Each one has its own rules and fundraising requirements. I ran for Kellsie's Hope for Princess this year and it made the race weekend so much more meaningful.

I used to work with one of the guys from Kellsie's Hope. They seem like a really good outfit.

Last year I upgraded from the full to the Goofy challenge. It was easy. There’s a place to do it on the website. But there is an extra processing fee I think
I went ahead and registered for the Marathon and hopefully Dopey will open back up and I can upgrade...

I'm kind of suspicious that there might be something fishy going on with the tech on this one. Yes, I know that people predicted that this would go fast, but to have EVERYTHING sold out in less an hour. That's abnormal.

Yeah, I kinda think this, too. Keeping on eye on stuff come back up available.

Does anyone have experience upgrading from a Goofy or other races to a Dopey when that happens?
Yes you can do it on the website IF availability pops up. Yes there is a fee (I think it’s like $40-50?) to do so. When sold out things show up it’s usually very very few and they sell out very quickly.

I think the quick sell out time has to do with schools not going back until a week later in Jan than normal. A lot more people are off and will be in WDW that week vs a normal year

I think the quick sell out time has to do with schools not going back until a week later in Jan than normal. A lot more people are off and will be in WDW that week vs a normal year

There have been plenty of early falling race weekends recently (especially 2018) without this kind of registration insanity. I think the hype of the Dopey and marathon anniversaries in combination with the 50th celebration still going on was the major driver.

Yes you can do it on the website IF availability pops up. Yes there is a fee (I think it’s like $40-50?) to do so. When sold out things show up it’s usually very very few and they sell out very quickly.
Quick Question: How do you upgrade? Dopey shows availability. I click on it? Then what? Does it already know I have the marathon and automatically upgrades me with a fee?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter