Marathon Weekend 2023

I wonder that because they got rid of ap, dvc, and registrations thru travel agents, it just made that many more people at the same time.

'They typically only made 10% or less of total bibs available for early registration. Don't think that could account for this level of catastrophe. I think the popularity of the anniversary caught them by surprise.

Does anyone have IT experience? Is it possible to have a temporary boost in servers or IT resources if there's only a few days a year with massive demand? Or is that unrealistic?
Yup. I'm an IT Program Manager. You can totally do this. Universities do it all the time because we have massive surge in web traffic on certain days/moments (in particular, the moment that everybody can find out whether they got in).

I just got through to the main run disney site for the first time - lasted about 5 seconds before switching back to the dwarves!

'They typically only made 10% or less of total bibs available for early registration. Don't think that could account for this level of catastrophe. I think the popularity of the anniversary caught them by surprise.

I think the early race week contributes heavily as well. More people can come down when kids are off school and they can build an extended period of vacation into their work schedule.

Yup. I'm an IT Program Manager. You can totally do this. Universities do it all the time because we have massive surge in web traffic on certain days/moments (in particular, the moment that everybody can find out whether they got in).
We do it constantly for things like Black Friday, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc. If the infrastructure is even remotely close to modern it's fairly trivial.

Holy crap what's happening? Did the whole site crash? I just went to the main runDisney.com page and got dwarves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter