Marathon Weekend 2022

I did it! :sad::lovestruc Dopey Challenge finisher and this feeling is incredible! The marathon was hard, but the heat wasn’t nearly as bad as I feared. The close wave starts had me starting earlier than I expected, and while it made the first couple miles pretty brutally crowded, I think it was a blessing that kept me from starting too fast. So ready to celebrate at Magic Kingdom tonight, and then sleep past 2 am tomorrow! I am so happy!

Honestly really wasn’t sure I would even start this one, I’ve been running on fumes the past couple of days and STILL can’t adjust to this early wake-up (prob fell asleep at 10:30-11) but it’s done. As a bonus, I completely avoided the bird this time so i didn’t get sprayed in the face again but I’m told it didn’t do that this time.

Ok. Time to pay for my poorly thought out park reservation for today. About time to head out to AK so I can at least get a decent dinner.

Funny, I have no idea why I had planned AK today but I cancelled it and am sitting by the AKL pool with dinner at Boma. Can’t imagine why I wanted to walk AK at the end of the weekend

Funny, I have no idea why I had planned AK today but I cancelled it and am sitting by the AKL pool with dinner at Boma. Can’t imagine why I wanted to walk AK at the end of the weekend

Yeah, I tried to cancel my reservation and make a different one, but couldn’t figure it out in MDE. The MDE help was, well, not helpful. So I’m going to get some extra CRAW mileage and hit Yak & Yeti Cafe for dinner.

Finished my second Dopey. Shaved 55 mins off my previous marathon (from 6:39 to 5:47).

Felt great up until mile 20/21. Started walking a lot more, and felt.very cold whole running. The heat was brutal (even to this Floridian). I very rarely run in the heat like this, so i was not used to it. As fate would have it, a 545 run/walk pacer group passed me, and I tagged along with them for the majority of the home stretch. That certainly saved my finish (both in terms of time and overall quality, as I wasn't in danger of being swept at all, even if I walked the final 5k). I made sure to thank the pacer, as she did an awesome job.

I was a little miffed that they had Dopey as one of the characters on the course. Dopey (the challenge) is a big deal and big accomplishment, and I really wish they had brought him out for the finishers, even if it was socially distanced like all the other stops. I really would have liked my photo with him and my medals.

I'm super happy with my time though, and this will most likely be the last time I ever do the challenge. The marathon to me is not something I enjoy, and after doing it twice, I don't see a need for a third. On the topic, I'm surprised they don't do a lower tier challenge, where it's something like Race and a Half, except it's the Half, and then either the 5k or 10k. I fee that would be a draw for a lot of people, as a marathon is a big turnoff for a lot of runners.

Hope everyone had a good race, and stayed healthy!

Just wanted drop a line to say today was both good and bad. Good - faster than last year, enjoyed the course, DW & DD2 came out to cheer me at finish. That was really nice! Bad - chaffing on a level I did not think anyone should ever have… I must have been really mean in a past life! I am a true believer in Squirrels Nut Butter, left it at home. Wednesday while at the expo I looked at body glide and decided to save the money. Not my best decision, maybe one of my worst…

Congrats to all the runners today, whether a PR, PW, DNF or anything in the middle. You toed the line!

I am tired, walking like I wore cheese graters for running shorts, but happy. Looking forward to next year (just need to talk wife into it!)

Finished my second Dopey. Shaved 55 mins off my previous marathon (from 6:39 to 5:47).

Felt great up until mile 20/21. Started walking a lot more, and felt.very cold whole running. The heat was brutal (even to this Floridian). I very rarely run in the heat like this, so i was not used to it. As fate would have it, a 545 run/walk pacer group passed me, and I tagged along with them for the majority of the home stretch. That certainly saved my finish (both in terms of time and overall quality, as I wasn't in danger of being swept at all, even if I walked the final 5k). I made sure to thank the pacer, as she did an awesome job.

I was a little miffed that they had Dopey as one of the characters on the course. Dopey (the challenge) is a big deal and big accomplishment, and I really wish they had brought him out for the finishers, even if it was socially distanced like all the other stops. I really would have liked my photo with him and my medals.

I'm super happy with my time though, and this will most likely be the last time I ever do the challenge. The marathon to me is not something I enjoy, and after doing it twice, I don't see a need for a third. On the topic, I'm surprised they don't do a lower tier challenge, where it's something like Race and a Half, except it's the Half, and then either the 5k or 10k. I fee that would be a draw for a lot of people, as a marathon is a big turnoff for a lot of runners.

Princess weekend has the Fairytale challenge. Which is the HM and the 10k.

I totally agree on Dopey, it felt weird to get that photo with the race still in progress. Likewise for mile 20, that’s where it started hitting hard for me. I really started feeling the heat then, and you’re running around a parking lot. The DJ there was good though!

I really hated the people that would jump in front of the cameras to get their picture. Happened to me a couple times. It's frustrating.

a few years ago, at a Star Wars race, a woman pulled to a sudden, dead stop in the middle of Sunset Blvd to take a picture. A race photographer was off to the side, so we have a series of pictures that begin with a startled expression 😮 on my wife’s face, and end with her literally diving to the side to prevent a collision.

Does anyone have any suggestions for giant blisters? I’m at a Disney hotel so I might have to Mcgyver something.

I am an idiot and walked about 10 miles on popped blisters on both feet. My IT band gave out and walking was the only option. That and the heat made this my most difficult race ever. Last time I did Dopey and had the flu. I would have gladly taken that over this.

We finished!

It was our 2nd marathon and a PW by 25 minutes, but we accomplished our goal of feeling good enough to stop for drinks in Epcot! Plus a bonus stop in AK for beers. So woohoo! I don't plan on running another marathon, but I also said that 3 years ago.

Our strategy of only stopping for characters after it was light worked well. Except for Dopey, lines were short.

After AK I started dumping water on myself. I'm scared to look at our photopass pictures. It's not going to be pretty!

Here's the character list. We were a bit delirious at times in the heat, so may have forgotten a few:
1. Pluto in 50th attire (to/from Epcot)
2. Mad Hatter
3. Jiminy Cricket
4. Phineas (alternates with Ferb) both times in Epcot
5. Darkwing Duck
6. Gus the mouse from Cinderella
7. Girl mouse from Cinderella
8. Edna Mode and Mrs. Incredible
9. Frozone
10. Figment statue (no photopass)
11. Stitch
12. Dopey
13. Revolutionary Goofy
- Country bears waving
14. Three Caballeros minus Donald
15. Daisy in 50th outfit
16. Piglet and Rabbit
17. Tigger
18. Friar Tuck
19. Robin Hood and Little John
20. Timone
21. Dug and Carl Frederiksen
22. Adventurers club (no FP)
23. Baloo
24. Bullseye
25. Jessie
26. Chip and Dale in 50th outfits
27. Olaf
28. Donald, pit crew outfit
29. Orange bird (statue) behind AK
30. Woody & Bo Peep (just before the BB parking lot)

I saw the Orange Bird and freaked out because of what you all said the other day. I stayed on the opposite side of the course.

I asked Jack Sparrow if he washed his clothes between races. He told me that while he hasn’t bathed in years, his wife does a wee bit of laundry. We both noted that he didn’t smell.

I went to the mi 24 marker right at the turn near the Swan to cheer on racers when I got back. I was hoping I may have cheered some of you on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter