Marathon Weekend 2022

That shortened portion through DHS is ridiculous though. I may understand the reasons for it, but advertising you run through that park as part of the appeal for the races is a joke.
It's really ridiculous. I'm really hoping that with the major construction done, they'll be able to lengthen the time spent over there, but they had the same little loop for the Wine and Dine half.

And here I was thinking the "run" through HS has always been a blink and you miss it experience. No idea they ever spent more time there!

Haven't posted in a while but just had a question pop in my head.

For those who have been before and have some familiarity with ECVs. I know they allowed ECVs in part of the expo. But are there parts where they aren't allowed?

My disability took a turn for the worse after Boston in October. So I'm getting an ECV this trip. And currently waiting to hear from rD about some plans involving the longer half of Dopey for this year for myself.

Haven't posted in a while but just had a question pop in my head.

For those who have been before and have some familiarity with ECVs. I know they allowed ECVs in part of the expo. But are there parts where they aren't allowed?

My disability took a turn for the worse after Boston in October. So I'm getting an ECV this trip. And currently waiting to hear from rD about some plans involving the longer half of Dopey for this year for myself.

From what I can remember bib pick up and the vendor hall both have elevators (I've have used them in both), the official merch area is single level with no stairs, and there are ramps outside as an alternative where there are steps.

I don't know how well Disney does in terms of accessibility, but ESPN is a newer area and I would hope/think it was built with wheelchair access in mind, which would mean your EV could get through as well.

And here I was thinking the "run" through HS has always been a blink and you miss it experience. No idea they ever spent more time there!

No it actually used to be pretty substantial time in the park. You used to run through this tunnel where there were people sewing costumes on either side of you. At least I think I remember that, but maybe I'm hallucinating that part. LOL Then some time through the back stage and down by the commissary and then out of the park. It was great. I loved it. Then I think they changed it to coming in through the back by ToT and running up Sunset Blvd and then out of the park. It was a really nice amount of time. I remember the first year I ran with just that tiny little scrap of park time and thinking, "This has to be a joke".

You weren't hallucinating.

The inaugural W&D ran through that tunnel as well.

It looks like the section that used to run through that tunnel now goes through some of the Slinky Dog Dash ride and walkway. Here is the 2010 GPS track over the current Google map.

On a side note it is interesting to see how the old FR305 interpreted the lost reception in the tunnel. It had me stopping and then running at 1:13/mile pace to be at the other end of the tunnel. Now a lost signal for such a short period smooths the data.

It looks like the section that used to run through that tunnel now goes through some of the Slinky Dog Dash ride and walkway. Here is the 2010 GPS track over the current Google map.

Yea, it was part of the Backlot Tour (video starts at tunnel). Someone more hip on Disney could probably tell us where these activities have shifted to these days after Toy Story Land was built.

Egad. That is ridiculous. I enjoyed winding my way through HS in the past. This time, blink and you'll miss it.
I've never run through Blizzard before.

None of my estimated times were fast enough for consideration, so I'm guessing I'll be in the later start waves.
Pacing myself for the Dopey, I'm guessing a 2.5 - 2.7 hour half and probably 5 - 5.5 hours for the full.

Blizzard was a joke. It was mostly parking lot and sending us past a lazy river - guarded by CMs - was borderline cruel and unusual punishment, given the heat.

Blizzard was a joke. It was mostly parking lot and sending us past a lazy river - guarded by CMs - was borderline cruel and unusual punishment, given the heat.
The parking lot was hideous. I really hated that section of the course, especially as hot as it was. Inside the park, the paths were way too narrow for all the runners, then you were right back out to that awful parking lot. I’m hoping for a new, better course this year.

Wow. I have no recollection of any DJ and flashing lights....but I ran in 2010, 2013 and then not again til 2018.

Don't worry, you're likely not crazy either. My recollection was that 2014 did not have the DJ/lights aspect.

There were some who complained after 2015 that it was really disorienting to run through the tunnel with the DJ/lights. I believe one year they had a smoke machine going too.

ETA - It was 2015 when they had the smoke machine per Mike (link).

People coming in at the back never saw it! I think they cut that part of the course off around noon, which shaved like 1.75 miles off the course.

Yep, that was me. I was maybe half a mile behind the course cut. When I got to BB, there was a huge stream of runners coming out but they'd blocked the road coming in. From that point through the end of the race, it was literally a shoulder-to-shoulder walk.

Last edited:
Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster here!

This will be my first marathon (not first rD race) and I'm unnecessarily stressed about food options, specifically finding basic spaghetti the night before. I couldn't find anything in the W&D thread, but does anyone know if some of the resort restaurants/quick serve will offer a basic pasta option during race weekend? I have ADR just in case, but would prefer to chill Saturday and not run around. Still trying to get that elusive Space 220 ADR for Monday, of course 😅

Last edited:
Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster here!

This will be my first marathon (not first rD race) and I'm unnecessarily stressed about food options, specifically finding basic spaghetti the night before. I couldn't find anything in the W&D thread, but does anyone know if some of the resort restaurants/quick serve will offer a basic pasta option during race weekend? I have ADR just in case, but would prefer to chill Saturday and not run around. Still trying to get that elusive Space 220 ADR for Monday, of course 😅

I can’t answer you question specifically, but if you’re aren’t staying at a resort, they aren’t letting you in through the front gate (last I knew) if you plan to drive yourself. There are ways around this of course (bus-hopping, sky-liner, etc) so that’s something to be aware of. All of the menus are pretty pared down still, so if you look at where you’re staying (assuming on-site) look at what would be easiest to get to and check the menus.

I know AoA had a pasta window when we stayed there a few years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter