• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2021

RunDisney's medical director was a full go for Wine and Dine - she said that they had all the required personnel and equipment (as normal) to conduct the race. The races were cancelled by the higher ups due to the perceived "optics" of having the race weekend. Hospitals around central Florida are not (and have not been) desperate for staff during the pandemic. Many laid off nurses and other professionals in March and April when many normal procedures and surgeries were cancelled.

If Optics are the issue I'm not sure how they will be better in January when basically every "big" fall race cancelled.

SAFD: Really tough to pick between Mexico and Japan. The boat ride makes me lean a little more toward Mexico (also my nostalgia from childhood of first time eating grown up mexican/non-taco bell food...mmmm.) France is gonna already up there so like others have said...I'm really excited for the additions!

SAFD:

My top 3 would be -

1) UK - Love the shops, the food, the beer, easy access to the Word Showcase gate when we stay over that way or at a Skyliner resort, and in what now seems like olden times, was a great spot for watching Illuminations. Originally wasn't my first choice, but the more I thought about it, I realized we spend more time at this pavilion than any of the others.
2a) Germany - Great beer (I sense a theme in my reasoning), family enjoys Biergarten and we would almost always get some caramel treats from here before we left for the day.
2b) Mexico - Most family votes when we are trying to decide where to eat, kids love the Three Caballeros and the margaritas do not suck.

They won’t be the first in Florida though. Space Coast is a go, and with the reduced numbers that puts Disney’s half and full at about the same numbers.
Is this race really the best benchmark upon which to gauge the viability of WDW marathon weekend? In early August, Brevard County hosted the Junior Olympics at a time when there were essentially no events going on anywhere with spectators in the stands. Yet, they had them there - many of them. It seems that this will be a bit of an outlier as we see the vast majority of races in this timeframe being cancelled.

Given that somebody has to be the first, I think it would be a good PR opportunity for it to be a big race like Disney and then go above and beyond on the health and safety protocols to show off all the care and thought (and capital) that was invested in a safe race.

Random question for my fellow runDisney all-stars: I'm moving into my new apartment this week and I'd like to display some of my race medals to make it feel a little more like home. Because it's a rental, I don't want to damage the walls, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for displaying some medals?

Right now, I don't see myself going the shadow box route. Looking for simple, DIY sort of ideas, but I fully recognize that options might not exist.

Random question for my fellow runDisney all-stars: I'm moving into my new apartment this week and I'd like to display some of my race medals to make it feel a little more like home. Because it's a rental, I don't want to damage the walls, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for displaying some medals?

Right now, I don't see myself going the shadow box route. Looking for simple, DIY sort of ideas, but I fully recognize that options might not exist.

I'll admit that I don't display my medals, so I'm not sure how this will work, but I'm a big fan of command hooks for displaying things without damaging walls. (I mean I used to have all my medals on one command hook but it was like 8 medals on one hook so it fell down)

Obviously not something I’ve done but maybe something like a coat rack or hat rack? Something that can stand but has hooks.

There are some standing medal display options like the ones pictured. I have a lamp one which I find works very well.

239D25E6-12C3-4230-8169-EDA7F86021F8.jpeg

https://www.goneforarun.com/tabletop-medal-display-lamp/gs-11364.html?cgid=gfar
00BE6A3A-6916-4A93-BAC0-65179FB335FB.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Gone-Run-Pre...ocphy=9007391&hvtargid=pla-308533596411&psc=1

Obviously not something I’ve done but maybe something like a coat rack or hat rack? Something that can stand but has hooks.

I considered that and it's still under consideration. Might take up too much space? Not ruling it out, though...

Oooooooh! I am intrigued.

I built my own medal rack that I stick on the wall using the 3M Command Velcro strips.

It was a really simple build, as I am no carpenter...

• I bought a 1 x 6 piece of wood from the hardware store; Basically a fence board.
  • I cut 3 pieces of it 2 feet long.
  • One piece I cut 3 channels out using a jig saw. The top channel is 1.5" (to center) from the top of the wood, the second one is 2.5" (to center), and the third is 4.5" (to center). I basically started by using a 1/2" drill bit at 2" from each side and drilled holes. I then used a jig saw to cut the remaining wood out between the holes. The whole point of the three channels is so the medals can be stacked on top of one another, but still give room to show the medal.
  • I bought one of those wooden towel rack kits that included the towel rack and a toilet paper rack in it.
  • I also bought an extra length of a spindle wood to match the diameter of the towel rack in the kit. I cut it to match the length of the towel rack.
  • I screwed the three pieces of 1x6 together with a bit of wood behind them for support.
  • I then mounted the towel rack and toilet rack to the top of the structure. The second set of holders are reversed to the first.
  • I then used a can of spray paint is turned it black. I did not have any create ideas on a Disney theme to paint on it, but will eventually do that later.
  • I also put some small hooks on the bottom piece of wood to hold my race bibs.
  • Once it is all together, place a lot of Command strips on the back to take the weight of your medals and stick it to the wall.

Given that somebody has to be the first, I think it would be a good PR opportunity for it to be a big race like Disney and then go above and beyond on the health and safety protocols to show off all the care and thought (and capital) that was invested in a safe race.

Just based on how disney handled reopening the parks (almost a month after other places) they don't seem to want to be first in things COVID related. There is also very much a chance of bad PR if things go to social media with pics from the race that don't look good. I could see headlines like "while New York and boston cancel DIsney races pushes ahead".

I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions. Will not be an easy one.

For space coast it looks like the number of people will be lower then what disney is projecting but it is very hard to tell because they are lumping virtual and physical runners together in their Cap on registrations so it's hard to know exactly how many are going to be running it physically and they haven't announced how much they are going to spread people out. They have stated everybody isn't starting at 6. Disneys' requirement to be out of MK by a certain time limits how much spreading they can do.

I'm still working like its happening until it isn't but I very much have my doubts. DO not envy whoever has to make the decisions like this.

A wooden ladder against the wall and hang it off the rungs

We use over door hooks for DWs medals. Something like this:

I've not done this myself, so can't personally attest to its functionality, but I know people who have hung their medals with those Command stick-on-peel-off hooks.

THANK you for this - I had no idea such a thing existed!

I actually hang all my medals on a 12 month rolling basis on a curtain rod on my window, before they get put away in a binder. Usually the brackets are pre-installed in an apartment, so no need to make holes.

Attachments

• 20191226_195403.jpg
    20191226_195403.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter