Marathon Weekend 2020

I’m hoping they are not using the clear cherry Powerade. 🤮
I’m probably going to want a few extra electrolytes besides my Endurolytes, and I can’t stand that cherry flavor! I know others may like it, but I’m hoping for a different flavor.

A CM was at the corner yelling and pointing "Stay close to the building for shade!" And we did. Hundreds of us walking single file, moving at whatever the prevailing pace was, just to catch a tiny bit of shade!

I totally remember this CM last year! Between HS & EP my wife was trying to hug the green construction fence (much shorter than that building earlier) because she thought the shadow was enough to keep her cool. We still laugh about that. I'm sure it did nothing, but late in a marathon there's a lot of strategy/thoughts going through your head that make sense at the moment while struggling.

I’m probably going to want a few extra electrolytes besides my Endurolytes, and I can’t stand that cherry flavor! I know others may like it, but I’m hoping for a different flavor.

They did not use this flavor last year. My wife HATES that flavor and I was concerned they'd spring that on her during the marathon and it would be another hurdle to have to overcome.

For the record, at 1:25 pm on Sunday, January 13th I texted DH that it was 79* with a real feel of 81*. Data would have been according to the Weather Channel app.

I was sitting on the bus, waiting to go back to AKL at that point.

Whoops should have been clearer. As @PrincessV said the balloons themselves are not on bikes. But the team that makes up the actual sweepers (balloons indicate the pace but they don't make the call). There signified by people in bright yellow reflective vests who accompany the balloons. Usually there's a bunch in front of and behind them.
Thank you!!!!

I ran in 2013. I distinctly remember just exiting the speedway as the sun was starting to come over the trees and saying to myself that I was about to get baked. It made the Osceola stretch feel even more dreadful. Worse I remember being motivated to just get to the promised "20 mile spectacular" for the anniversary so was completely deflated when it turned out to be just those giant puppet things. All that being said, yes it was hot and certainly not my fastest marathon, but wasn't so bad that I would have expected them to think about cancelling it.

Not sure if I'm posting this correctly! :oops:Please forgive and advise if not. Running my first half marathon (like 1st ever, not just WDW first). this is ALL new to me. I know I am in Corral G. I don't understand the timing thing with the balloon people. Are the runners in the last corrals at a disadvantage if they run slower and start later? Will I need to to catch up?Please help me to understand? Thanks!
During the 2017 Dark Side 10K, I was in line for a photo when the bikes came up and told us that the sweep would take place in 5 minutes and that when it came, we could either get out of line and stay with the balloon ladies or stay in line and be swept. I was 3rd in line, so I waited for my photo and resumed the race, but sure enough a few minutes later I saw the bus pull up and the sweep occurred. They will give you plenty of notice if you are behind pace and an opportunity to stay on pace. It's not like you will suddenly be swept with no idea it's coming.
Oddly enough I like that flavor outside of races, but not during races.
I'm sure it did nothing, but late in a marathon there's a lot of strategy/thoughts going through your head that make sense at the moment while struggling.
During the marathon last year, I got irrationally excited to see the spires of Galaxy's Edge somewhere after mile 21. I mean Galaxy's Edge construction always excited me anyways, but this was a whole new level. I think it distracted my body from everything else going on and let my brain take over with excitement. And this year, I can actually visit Galaxy's Edge after the race. Whatever it takes to finish. Whatever it takes.

Question for those travelers that fly Southwest. I let my nerves get the better of me and booked another flight on points just in case of a problem with the first, knowing I can cancel it last minute when I don’t need it. Do you check in 24 hrs ahead or just leave it alone and cancel when you get to Orlando?

So I told myself that I have to be very cheap for marathon weekend merchandise since I'm saving up for Star Wars Rival Run in April. But I like that Dopey shirt that says 4 days, 4 parks, 4 races, or something to that effect. We'll see if I manage to resist it come next Wednesday.

I am not looking forward to the warm temperatures for the marathon, and doubt that they would cancel it due to just heat. I ran Boston in 2012, where the temperatures reached 89 degrees in Framingham. I slowed my pace down a lot, and drank a lot. It took me an additional hour to complete the marathon but I did it. If it is warm slow down, listen to your body, find some inspiration. That year, I ran about a quarter of a mile with Teddy Bruschi. (former NE Patriot) He inspired me to run faster than him and to beat him. I also had bought a 2012 Boston Marathon sweatshirt at the expo. I knew I couldn't wear the sweatshirt if I didn't finish. Inspiration. Find it where you can. At some point during a marathon, the race is more mental than physical.

Question for those travelers that fly Southwest. I let my nerves get the better of me and booked another flight on points just in case of a problem with the first, knowing I can cancel it last minute when I don’t need it. Do you check in 24 hrs ahead or just leave it alone and cancel when you get to Orlando?

I fly Southwest all the time. Fine to check in to both as long as you cancel before the next flight. Your points will go back to you. Good luck with your race!

And on the heat, I ran the 81 degree marathon in 2013. It was miserable, and too many people didn't hydrate. However, it was still an absolutely fun race (except for the horrid down and back near WWOS and paybe the area where you are on the highway on the way to the ramp with the green army men . . .) And even melted chocolate is amazing in a marathon.

I did this last year and again this year. If you can afford the points, it is actually a very smart idea. If for some reason your flight gets canceled - especially for a weather event, it can be a mad scramble to get re-booked as most flights these days are at capacity. That happened to us in 2018 and we almost didn't make it down in time for the races. Last year, I didn't bother checking into my second flight but there is no harm doing that.
I fly Southwest all the time. Fine to check in to both as long as you cancel before the next flight. Your points will go back to you.
Actually you don't even have to cancel the second flight even if you check in. If you just don't show up, they will cancel your flight and the points will go back. However, you should cancel the flight as they will be looking for you and probably paging you right up until the end of the boarding process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter