Marathon Weekend 2020

So I don't have any cooling towels. Living in the PNW does have some advantages I guess. Can anyone recommend a brand/style/size etc? Maybe and Amazon link if that's allowed? Thanks in advance!!
They were selling them in the gift shops when I was there for Wine & Dine. (Of course, they could be like umbrellas and ponchos and magically appear when the conditions warrant it...) Other than the coolcore cooling towels I have received from runDisney races, I have also purchased from Mission.

Just want a reminder answer to this question.
The walkway to DHS from the EPcot resorts is usually open throughout the marathon correct? I know the boats don’t run but I have usually read here the path to walk is open. We are staying at YAcht Club and I am hoping to walk to DHS Sunday morning.

Looks like it depends on which cast member saw who and at what time, I can say for certain I’ve been at both BC and BW for races and officially the walk is closed. There are generally signs everywhere and even got a letter in the room, as well as the resort actually running buses to Epcot and DHS while it was closed. I have also run around pedestrians going against the flow so the reality is who knows how well it’s enforced. You can chance it but may get turned away.

So I did my 3.5 mile run last night in a T+D of 140 (temp 77, DP 63, humidity 70%), wearing a long sleeve tee, tights and a hat... and was perfectly comfortable. :confused3:rotfl2: I guess I'm more heat acclimated than I thought?! Now if those thunderstorm chances could get the heck out of the forecast...

Someone - on this list I think- posted this last year - with tip to load it with sunscreen for race day! It saved me as the aid stations ran out!
That was me! But I can't take credit for the idea, only sharing it; I saw it years ago in some random article. So glad it helped you! It's my go-to for all long runs here in FL - I reapply every 2 hours. :thumbsup2

As we head into the 7-day forecast range (which has general 80% accuracy), I found this interesting weather forecast accuracy tool on Forecastadvisor.com (searchable by zip code) which shows which weather site has been the most accurate for Disney World this month and this year. Looks like The Weather Channel & Dark Sky are our best bets!
I live in FL and have always found Weather Channel to be reasonably accurate for forecasting.

Look!! More weather!!!!

1/3/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 62°/47° Partly Sunny and cooler
Thu 1/9 - 70°/56° Time of clouds and sun
Fri 1/10 - 83°/68° Warmer with a shower possible
Sat 1/11 85°/68° Mostly sunny and very warm
Sun 1/12 84°/68° Very warm with some sun

1/3/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 62°/51° Partly Cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 74°/65° Partly Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 81°/70° PM Thunderstorms
Sat 1/11 82°/67° Scattered Thunderstorms
Sun 1/12 82°/69° Partly Cloudy

1/3/20 National Weather Service

Wed 1/8 - Mostly sunny, with a high near 63
Wed Night - Mostly clear, with a low around 47
Thu 1/9 - Sunny, with a high near 72
1/2/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 65°/47° Sun and some clouds
Thu 1/9 - 76°/63° Warmer with some sun
Fri 1/10 - 82°/67° A shower possible
Sat 1/11 84°/66° Partly sunny and very warm
Sun 1/12 82°/62° Very warm with some sun

1/2/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 66°/53° Partly Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 78°/69° Partly Cloudy
Sat 1/11 82°/67° PM Thunderstorms
Sun 1/12 81°/66° Partly Cloudy

As we head into the 7-day forecast range (which has general 80% accuracy), I found this interesting weather forecast accuracy tool on Forecastadvisor.com (searchable by zip code) which shows which weather site has been the most accurate for Disney World this month and this year. Looks like The Weather Channel & Dark Sky are our best bets!

View attachment 462092
Honestly Weather Channel and AccuWeather seem to be the most consistent from these two charts. Dark Sky has been accurate lately, but has a poor track record for the year. Weather Underground (who I normally trust) has been accurate for the past year, but not so much recently.

Along with everyone else, I'm very much looking forward to next week. Things happen and my training plan got derailed on 12/21, so time goals have been scrapped, but I'll keep moving forward to the finish. My race days will now be an entirely new experience, but the goal of enjoying the Dopey Challenge Weekend remains intact. With that said, is there a late registration window that may still be open for DATW? ;)

Q: Is the "Goof Troop Roving Road Party" for the full only? Half and full?

Finally got my waiver link and I'm in C, so yeah!

I'm on the fence for the half because i'm toying with the idea of going DLS. I had planned to run sub-2, but after today's run at 67 degrees and 95% humidity, similar to what I'm guessing next weekend will be, that's not going to happen. DLS sounds like a fun second option. Want to join?

Not sure yet how I’ll approach the half. I’m not running for time, per se, but I might want to try to hit the castle by dark. On the other hand, DLS sounds fun. I’m playing by ear.

That said, definitely report to the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) for the full!

I’m in C for the full and love the idea of a road party....I’m not hung up on a specific time, but given the temps, I’m motivated to try to get as far as I can before the temps and sun rise.....

I’m in C for the full and love the idea of a road party....I’m not hung up on a specific time, but given the temps, I’m motivated to try to get as far as I can before the temps and sun rise.....
That is going to be my plan too.

Last year I decided to run for fun and stop frequently for photos. But, I noticed once the sun really started beating down on us, that was the end of my stopping for photos. I feel like maybe I got that backwards! This year I will still start slow and take walk breaks from the beginning, but no dinking around until after sun rise...when I will need the breaks!

Hi runners! Just posted in TPAS, didn’t know this section existed. I’m sorry this is probably repetitive, trying to gather info as fast as I can and didn’t see a sticky with this.

Have a family member who is planning a last last last minute trip next weekend. What does she need to know about marathon weekend? They are likely driving. What routes should be avoided, what parks (especially on Sunday), and anything else to be aware of going over a race weekend?

Hi runners! Just posted in TPAS, didn’t know this section existed. I’m sorry this is probably repetitive, trying to gather info as fast as I can and didn’t see a sticky with this.

Have a family member who is planning a last last last minute trip next weekend. What does she need to know about marathon weekend? They are likely driving. What routes should be avoided, what parks (especially on Sunday), and anything else to be aware of going over a race weekend?

This guide gives all kinds of info about the weekend and could be a good resource for your family member.
https://www.rundisney.com/events/disneyworld/disneyworld-marathon-weekend/

Thank you all for these fabulous motivating posts! I have had some health problems over the fall, so training wasn't happening. I am only doing the 10k, but have been concerned about even managing that. This is my third runDisney 10 and you are all reminding me it will be awesome and to have fun!!

I am towards the back, but I want to get as far as I can before the beat is brutal.

Look!! More weather!!!!

1/3/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 62°/47° Partly Sunny and cooler
Thu 1/9 - 70°/56° Time of clouds and sun
Fri 1/10 - 83°/68° Warmer with a shower possible
Sat 1/11 85°/68° Mostly sunny and very warm
Sun 1/12 84°/68° Very warm with some sun

1/3/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 62°/51° Partly Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 81°/70° PM Thunderstorms
Sat 1/11 82°/67° Scattered Thunderstorms
Sun 1/12 82°/69° Partly Cloudy

1/3/20 National Weather Service

Wed 1/8 - Mostly sunny, with a high near 63
Wed Night - Mostly clear, with a low around 47
Thu 1/9 - Sunny, with a high near 72
It just keeps going up and up... 🤬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter