Marathon Weekend 2020

Someone on FB emailed RD last week and they replied(!) it would be added later.
Makes me wonder about the "early expo entry" aspect since that became a big deal last year and they were almost forced to add it.
Yeah I wonder if maybe they are changing it a bit.

I go by my middle name, and always just registered with that. At bib pickup I’ve not had a problem, since my drivers license has my full name. Have gotten light hearted ribbing from the volunteers, but it was all in fun

I always use Debi instead of Deborah as it is on my license and it's never been a problem. My address actually doesn't match either and that hasn't been a problem.

One year I actually didn't fill in my name so I was UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN and I actually signed in with that. UNKNOWN was actually on my bib. So I feel like maybe it's not a big deal that your license match your bib name. :rotfl2:

Hello :) I'm new to the Dis this year and also new to RunDisney. I'm excited for my first runDisney race which will also be my first half marathon. So far I've only ever run a 5k so I'm a little nervous. Especially since this is such a big event. Any tips would be greatly appreciated either running tips alone or specific to RunDisney! :)

The shirt thing was weird. I had to select women’s then select men’s large from the second drop down, and then I was able to go back and select men’s.

If I selected men’s first, there were no size options
I tried that in the moment and it didn’t work. I eventually got registered for the half but it really ticked me off because I’m traveling this week with nothing but my phone.

I’m in for the half. I was thinking of maybe trying the full but I don’t have the time or energy this year to do the training and recovery. When I told my husband I was going to do the half instead of the full he had a look of relief of his face.

I also wanted to sign DD up for the June Marvel virtual run but it’s sold out. Oops. I wasn’t expecting that. I don’t really want to pay for the full challenge so I guess she’ll have to live without the Cpt. marvel metal.

Marathon Weekend Goals

I've done this the last couple years and thought it was a good experience. Full disclosure this time (in 2016 I was sneaky), I am saving your responses to be revealed at a later time closer to race day.

Now that registration is out of the way for most of us, I'd love to hear your goals for Marathon Weekend. Here's how I see goals. They're personal. You chose it because that goal means something to you. It's important to you. Which means your goal is important to me. No goal is too big or too small. The person's goal to finish their first 5K and another's to take down Michael Wardian's Dopey World Record are equally important to me. So, I'd love to hear yours. And yes, even the super secret I don't want to admit it goals. :teeth:

Here are some ideas if you haven't thought about it:

Finish my first: 5K, 10K, Half, Full, Goofy, Dopey
Finish with a time goal
Run a race with a family member
Overcome an adversity in your life
Drink a beer or margarita at a certain mile marker
Participate in DATW (Drinking Around the World) *Happens on Monday in EPCOT (ask @FFigawi and @Keels about it)
Beat a family member
Get as many character photos as possible
Get a character photo with a certain character
Do lots of park time and enjoy the races
Have fun

So, let's hear them! What's your goal? Remember yesterday (or a few weeks ago) you signed up for a race during marathon weekend for a reason, so what is it?

Hello :) I'm new to the Dis this year and also new to RunDisney. I'm excited for my first runDisney race which will also be my first half marathon. So far I've only ever run a 5k so I'm a little nervous. Especially since this is such a big event. Any tips would be greatly appreciated either running tips alone or specific to RunDisney! :)

I was in the same spot as you back in 2011 when Wine & Dine was my first half marathon. I am still so thankful I found the Disboards.

I would suggest running some 10k for many reasons.
1. To get a proof of time to summit for a better corral placement.
2. The make for fun training runs.

Also the best advice I got wasn’t until I approached the start line at W&D and the announcers said if this is you first half don’t stress and enjoy the race. I still remind my self to do that on many races.

I think I made a plan of attack. I have a half marathon at the end of May. If I run sub-1:53:30, I'll run the marathon since that will most likely (according to @DopeyBadger's meticulous charts) land me in corral B.

If I don't run sub-1:53:30, I will run the half because I have a 51:36 10K PR that gets me in Corral B for the half. Starting so early (and I was in the front of B), I hit lots of characters with minimal lines and was still done running right around 7:45 this year.

My goal for Marathon Weekend, no matter what I run, will be to have another fun trip with my mom, see new things at Disney, try new foods, and enjoy the race. I run so long at Disney because of not doing the tangents, veering off for characters, etc., that it doesn't make sense for me to set a time/PR goal. But I could try for a runDisney PR (4:43 marathon; 2:06 half).

Marathon Weekend Goals

I've done this the last couple years and thought it was a good experience. Full disclosure this time (in 2016 I was sneaky), I am saving your responses to be revealed at a later time closer to race day.

Now that registration is out of the way for most of us, I'd love to hear your goals for Marathon Weekend. Here's how I see goals. They're personal. You chose it because that goal means something to you. It's important to you. Which means your goal is important to me. No goal is too big or too small. The person's goal to finish their first 5K and another's to take down Michael Wardian's Dopey World Record are equally important to me. So, I'd love to hear yours. And yes, even the super secret I don't want to admit it goals. :teeth:

Here are some ideas if you haven't thought about it:

Finish my first: 5K, 10K, Half, Full, Goofy, Dopey
Finish with a time goal
Run a race with a family member
Overcome an adversity in your life
Drink a beer or margarita at a certain mile marker
Participate in DATW (Drinking Around the World) *Happens on Monday in EPCOT (ask @FFigawi and @Keels about it)
Beat a family member
Get as many character photos as possible
Get a character photo with a certain character
Have fun

So, let's hear them! What's your goal? Remember yesterday (or a few weeks ago) you signed up for a race during marathon weekend for a reason, so what is it?
This year, along with my immediate family making its third annual trip for marathon weekend, we have extended friends and family joining the fun for their first ever runDisney races. They are all doing different races so with me doing Dopey, while I may not be actually running with them, I will be there for all their races at the start/finish. So, my main goal is something I do not have much control over and that is that all my friends and family have as much fun in January as we have had the last few years.

huskies90 other goals (that I have more control over):

Finish my first Dopey
Get lots of photos, especially with rare characters.
Have fun
(secret goal: Finish the marathon under 4 hours)

Marathon weekend goals:

Races: simply finish the Dopey and not get swept during the marathon ( should be fine but I have had an fear of the balloon ladies since my first run Disney race in 2011). Create an awesome 5k outfit the hopefully gets me on runDisney Facebook page (again a goal since 2011).

Non- running related... I Alway try to get 5 new character photos every trip.

Goals:
My first goal is just to finish my first Dopey challenge. There are other big races I want to do in the future, so I am not sure I will ever do another Dopey in the near future. More likely, doing "just" the marathon or Goofy after this.

So, I want to really make things count like stop at a lot of picture stops during all the races except the marathon, which is my goal race. I never really stop, so I want to do that part. For the marathon, I would like to better my 2019 time, but I dont have a specific time goal.

My other goal is to go on the rides in Galaxys Edge.

Goals for Marathon Weekend:
  • Run a fun and healthy Dopey! I broke my RunDisney injury/illness curse this year with Goofy, now I'd like to extend that success to Dopey.
  • Attend and enjoy the Hurricane Hannah's meet up and pre-race meets. It's always great to put faces with the screen names, new and old!
  • Enjoy another DATW! I drink more during that event than I do during the rest of the year combined. It's a great way to finish off a race weekend.

Goals:
Come into the weekend (and come out of it) healthy
Run the entire marathon (with breaks at character stops and to refill my bottle as needed) - my last two Disney marathons I was finally able to achieve this but avoiding bonking and GI upset is tricky!
Meet some of you awesome people IRL! I honestly can't handle more than about one or two beers (and definitely can't mix different types of alcohol!) but would love to at least join in some of the fun of DATW!

Goals:

-Have a better training season than ever.
-Get down to my lowest weight and highest level of fitness
-Have a great PoT race in August/September
-Arrive at Marathon Weekend ready to have fun with 0 worries about the races and my ability to finish.
-I've had a tale of two Dopey experiences: my first 3 I was prepared, had fun, and finished happy and ready to go another 48.6; the last 3 I've been unprepared, nervous/anxious, and limped over the finish line. It's time to get back to finishing these races with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes rather than just the tears.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but if someone were in the fence about signing up for their first marathon....what training plans did you all use? And what was your longest run, # of long runs, length of training cycle?

I’ve got some big work stuff, so was hesitant to add marathon training to that.....but #FOMO.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but if someone were in the fence about signing up for their first marathon....what training plans did you all use? And what was your longest run, # of long runs, length of training cycle?

I’ve got some big work stuff, so was hesitant to add marathon training to that.....but #FOMO.
Find what works best for you. Many use Galloway plans and his longest training run is 26 or even longer.

I usually use a modified Higdon and that tops out at 20 miles.

Goals:
First - to be able to just finish my first full marathon. (I really don't want to be swept)
Second - to be able to do it injury free (going in and coming out), been doing and preparing for lots of training and specific things to strengthen certain areas to try to help this.
Third - I would like to get to the weight or more so fitness look that I have in my head. (signing up means I am committed and accountable, since so much $$, so this definitely helps with keeping up with workout routine)
Fourth -(secret goal) Most calculators have me finishing at about 5:30 - 6:00 based on my 10k time. I would love to be able to get to a sub 5 hour time. but this is going to require lots of dedication!

Mostly i have to stop thinking of these things as a race and just realize that time really doesn't matter as I am not trying to run competitively or qualify for Boston! So I should probably stop for photos and such. For now, these are my goals, I basically just want to be able to finish (and not be physically finished) and not get swept. That is my biggest goal for my first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter