Marathon Weekend 2020

That was cool. And I thought I saw Dick and Ricky Hoyt at the start.

I thought that was him! I used to see him all the time when I lived in MA. He is such a nice man. My first 5K race when I started running again was a Team Hoyt event.

Awesome! About where is he in the video?
He is somewhere in the first 6 minutes of the start. You know. He’s the one wearing running shorts and Nike Pegasus running shoes! LOL (Seriously, he said he started toward the front, but not nearly up with the elites. We couldn’t tell who anyone was.)

He is somewhere in the first 6 minutes of the start. You know. He’s the one wearing running shorts and Nike Pegasus running shoes! LOL (Seriously, he said he started toward the front, but not nearly up with the elites. We couldn’t tell who anyone was.)
Awesome!

I could watch that video on repeat!!

Those clothes and hair and the basic running gear....it's all so fun to study!

Guys, stop. I can't go again next year - that would be three years in a row, and I told DH I wouldn't go again until the kids were a little older and we could take them (they will be 3 and 5 next year).

But I have a friend running the half, and it's a Goofy anniversary....

I can't.....

Our boys were 3 and 5 the first time we took them to a runDisney weekend...now they run the 5k and 10k with us :thumbsup2

Has anyone here done Goofy as their first Full? I think I'm a definite no for Dopey. I just don't want to get up that early that many times. But was thinking of adding either the 10k or half to my weekend. And since the half actually adds 2 medals instead of just one....Anyway, thoughts? Does the 10K course offer things I won't see on the Full that I want to see? What are your thoughts on the Half course?

Has anyone here done Goofy as their first Full? I think I'm a definite no for Dopey. I just don't want to get up that early that many times. But was thinking of adding either the 10k or half to my weekend. And since the half actually adds 2 medals instead of just one....Anyway, thoughts? Does the 10K course offer things I won't see on the Full that I want to see? What are your thoughts on the Half course?
The 10K will bring you through Epcot around mile 3.5 during the dark and you'll run from Mexico, hang a left past Norway, China, the Outpost, Germany, Italy, American Pavillion, Japan, Morocco, France and then out to the Epcot resorts loop. It will then bring you through the Epcot resorts in a different direction and full lap versus the full marathon exposure which is the Boardwalk portion only. The loop will bring you back into Epcot around mile 5.2 or so, entering UK and running past Canada and then to Future World past the fountain out to the finish.

As far as the 1/2 is concerned, the similarities are the same for the full up through and exiting the MK. Once you get past mile 7, you're basically running back up to Epcot on World Drive for 2 - 3 miles before you tackle the overpasses entering Epcot. The half is probably the least favorite of courses [in general] for the weekend and in my opinion got a little worse this year with extended backstage time in Epcot for the last mile. If the challenge medals are not important to you than I would do the 10K and full. I myself do the 10K and half, just because the 1/2 is my distance and I can still get excited about it after many years!

So... I know everyone says the half is their least favorite course of the weekend (and it’s my least favorite also), but I want to say that it is still magical! At least if it is your first runDisney race.

2015 was my first runDisney race and I ran the half. I hadn’t been to WDW in a few years. I made it to the expo the day before the race, but did not go into any parks. Running down the road towards MK, seeing the sign, the mile markers, it just led up to entering MK. And then entering MK!! WOW!! Then turning the corner at the tree and seeing the castle all lit up!!?? IT WAS AWESOME! I don’t need a lot of spectators for races, and all the people on the course and the characters helped get through all the open road miles back to EPCOT. That race is what got me hooked on runDisney, and I’ve been back every year (even though I skipped marathon weekend this year, I’ll be back for SW).

@kirstie101 I say do Goofy and maybe add on the 10k. If you train for the marathon, you should be okay adding a couple of races before hand. :)

I ran the my first full as part of 10k + Goofy. The full and 10k courses are my favorite at Marathon Weekend. The half is by far my least favorite. It’s still a fun course with some significant highlight, it just pales in comparison to the other courses. That being said, I’d either run Goofy only or go for Dopey. The weekend tends to be very Dopey-centric and running the 10k + Goofy left me with a lot of regret for not just running Dopey instead.

Any thoughts on how - if? - Galaxy's Edge opening might impact race weekend in general, and the marathon course in particular? I tend to doubt they'll alter the course, just because GE will be SO busy with the park open by the time the bulk of the marathoners go through. But it might have a significant impact on crowd levels - maybe also race registrations? IDK.

Any thoughts on how - if? - Galaxy's Edge opening might impact race weekend in general, and the marathon course in particular? I tend to doubt they'll alter the course, just because GE will be SO busy with the park open by the time the bulk of the marathoners go through. But it might have a significant impact on crowd levels - maybe also race registrations? IDK.
I think crowds and race registrations will be up next year because of SWGE. People definitely pair a family vacation with runDisney and with Star Wars open that will increase.

I was literally coming on here to ask how y'all thought SWGE was going to affect these things and @PrincessV came through for me. I'd like to think that the rest of the parks will be less crowded, but I know that won't be true...whoever came for SW is gonna spend the rest of their park days at other parks.

I was wondering if hotel prices would be steeper? I saw the Rivieria (new DVC) prices for opening weekend of that hotel in mid December and got sticker shock. Kind of wondering if selling a "let's get a rental house" to my family (we did that for marathon weekend 2016) and a car would be a way to go. I'd have to tell them I was interested and that won't happen until April anyways though!

My sister's family really wants to do a duel vacation bc of star wars but the crowds are making her think SW race weekend 2021, not 2020.

I was wondering if hotel prices would be steeper? I saw the Rivieria (new DVC) prices for opening weekend of that hotel in mid December and got sticker shock. Kind of wondering if selling a "let's get a rental house" to my family (we did that for marathon weekend 2016) and a car would be a way to go.
I always spend significantly less "offsite" at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and I know the 2020 Marathon weekend dates aren't falling into WBC's peak price category, so there's that. I think that'll still be a mostly off-season time period, but yeah - assume WDW will jack up room rates.

I always spend significantly less "offsite" at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and I know the 2020 Marathon weekend dates aren't falling into WBC's peak price category, so there's that. I think that'll still be a mostly off-season time period, but yeah - assume WDW will jack up room rates.

We are staying at Wyndham Lake Buena Vista at Disney Springs for the Sat and Sun night before our DCL cruise in April (cause we could use points...cha-ching.) Never stayed at a Wyndham before.

I'd love to just stay Beach Club or Poly in January...but I'm thinking we'll save for something like that in 2021. (Or I'll just move to Florida and get an annual pass #dreams)

I entered the NYC Marathon Lottery so my Disney 2020 running plans rely on the results of that. However, I am starting to look for jobs and I keep entering Orlando, FL as a search criteria, in part, so I can run Disney races without the travel. I think I may have a problem. I should add, it has been single digit temperatures here and I think the entire family is open to moving to a warmer climate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter