Apologies if this has been asked or discussed before, but with Marathon Weekend a week later than in the past, what are everyone's predictions on whether or not the Holiday decorations will still be up?

@apdebord I’m so sorry about the loss of your puppy (they are always puppies, some are just bigger and older than others). I know how hard it is to lose such an important part of your family. :hug:

Oh what a pain, I hope you have relief soon. I'm sure your doctor mentioned it, but what helped me over time was using pillows to reduce stress on my hip and not sleeping on that side if you are a side sleeper at all.

I figured out the pillow thing at about 4 in the morning LOL! Instant relief!

I’m a left side sleeper which hasn’t helped my hip.
Happy New Year, runDisney all-stars!

Anyone want to go to Disney next week, maybe go for a run?

Me! I was excited, but looking at all my Disney medals last night really got me pumped!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars, and welcome to the final Sundays are for Disney of 2018! It's hard to believe the year is almost over and, oh yeah, marathon weekend festivities kickoff in nine days!

So, let's finish the year with a bang and some of the questions I have left on my little SAFD list. How is everyone's training going? Are we all tapering? Feeling good and ready to rock in less than two weeks?

What's your race strategy going to be (running, run/walk, stopping for characters, going for PRs, drinks, rides, etc.)?

If you could stay at any hotel for race weekend, where would you stay?

How are you celebrating after your race(s)?

If resolutions are your thing (Disney-related or otherwise) and you want to share those, feel free.

I started tapering this past week. My final long run (17 miles) was mostly good, but finished a little rough. But, I'm pain free and feel appropriately trained. I missed one run this past week thanks to icy sidewalks, but I'm not sweating it too much. Definitely not worth risking an injury.

Race strategy:
- 5K: easy pace, get photo/video of Epcot in the dark with the lanterns lit, will stop for any really awesome characters
- 10K: not quite as easy as the 5K, but not pushing it, stop for awesome characters and @Keels hydration station
- Half: similar pace to 10K, stopping for whatever characters look fun and don't have long lines
- Full: Aiming to beat my previous PR for this course, but that's all. I'm not giving it maximum effort and will scale back as necessary. Not planning on character stops.

I'd love to stay at the Polynesian or any of the Epcot resorts, but I'm very much looking forward to returning to POR.

Nothing planned for after the 5K, 10K and half except maybe a parking lot beer. Marathon celebration is Sunday at Ohana. Dopey celebration/recovery will be DATW and Boma on Monday.

Have a great week, everyone!
Training: Other than skipping a few midweek runs, I've mostly followed Hal Higdon's Novice 1 half marathon plan, as I prefer low-mileage plans to stave off overuse injuries. This is the furthest I've made it through a training plan without any kind of acute injury, so I'm planning on downgrading my last long run on Saturday from 10 miles to 7. I did 9 this past weekend and felt some nagging Achilles soreness, so the last thing I want to do is wreck it a week before race day! I've run most of my half marathons on less training (not proud of it) and I usually feel like I've been hit by a truck afterward, so I just have to hope that 9 miles for a long run was enough.

Race Strategy: Treat the 5K like a run/walk party full of character stops.

The half marathon should be 12:30-13:00 min/mi moving pace, unless it's too hot. I am not a fan of the forecast so far and last year was honestly my ideal racing weather. I'll be running with my boyfriend and he's a Texan, so I guess it might be his turn for good weather. We'll probably stop for a couple of characters but lines tend to be pretty long for Corral E.

Ideal Hotel: This is a tough one. Probably a 1-bedroom suite at AKL/AKV savannah view. I stayed in a savannah view studio with my sister a few years ago, and it was my most romantic experience on property to date :joker:, though these days I usually stay at Pop.

Celebration: Two park days instead of one, which is a splurge for me, considering DHS doesn't have more than a half-day worth of stuff I'm interested in. The deciding factor was registering for the 5K on the last possible day through a travel provider package deal that was too good to pass up. So I spent an extra few hundred dollars to save $50. :rolleyes1

Happy New Year everybody!

SAFD:

Tapering is going ok. We've finished all our long runs and I ran about 13 on Thursday, then our family took a quick 2-day trip down to Arches National Park with some extended family (what an amazing place...) and I wasn't able to do any running, but I did a bit of hiking. Utah got blasted with some Arctic air and a ton of snow the last couple of days, but I went out and ran 9 miles in the snow yesterday just to get some miles in. It's near zero degrees today, so I'll do the elliptical indoors and hope to get in one more training run later this week. Like many of you, I just got a head cold in the last couple of days that I'm battling. I think your adreneline carries you through work and activities just prior to the holidays, then when you relax a bit (and spend time with lots of other people), your body wears down and you get sick. I guess the good news is I'm hopefully dealing with the brunt of it now, and not in a week...

My strategy is to keep it pretty slow for the 5-K (our spouses are running/walking it with us), decent for the 10-K (maybe 10 min mile pace), and not push it too hard for the half. The full is the big question mark. I imagine we'll be doing some running (10 min mile pace) and some walking near the end. I'm not sure if we'll make character stops, but we will definitely be taking pictures of the castle, etc.

I've always wanted to stay at the Poly, but I'm excited to be staying at BCV for this trip. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

To celebrate? I'm hoping the weather is warm enough that we can enjoy some time in the pool or hot tub on Sunday to give our muscles some TLC. We have a FP+ for Soarin that afternoon, and then early dinner at La Hacienda de St Angel, and a late ADR for Beaches and Cream!

To celebrate? I'm hoping the weather is warm enough that we can enjoy some time in the pool or hot tub on Sunday to give our muscles some TLC. We have a FP+ for Soarin that afternoon, and then early dinner at La Hacienda de St Angel, and a late ADR for Beaches and Cream!

All weather is hot tub weather! :) Seriously, after the 2010 marathon--part of "Disney on Ice" temp-wise, I was in the hot tub at BCV later that day. I'm not sure the hot tub is a smart move (vs ice application), but it sure felt nice.

Advice please! I came down with a stomach virus Sunday afternoon and couldn't keep down any fluids for a good 12 hours. I've been pushing Gatorade/Pedialyte, popsicles, and salty soup for the past 24 hours, and I'm feeling almost all better stomach-wise, but am pretty weak with a killer headache. I'm hoping to do a short run tomorrow and then resume my normal training after that. Anything else I should be doing to minimize impact on my training?
Also, the family I caught this bug from has a little one with RSV, too, so I feel like it's just a matter of time before I come down with that, too. :scared:

Agree with @camaker. Ease back into training slowly. If Sunday through Wednesday is missed that is 4 days total. According to Daniels, you'll lose nearly zero VO2max fitness. Even 5 days would be just 0.2% which is like 10 seconds on a race (thus negligible). So I'd take at least the next few days just slightly easier (slightly less duration and maybe consider just easy days and not your hard intervals). The fitness will be there even with this minor adjustment.

Hey everyone! Need some advice here. I’m running the full marathon and I’m so excited! But bad news is I came down with bronchitis AND the flu starting Saturday so the last time I ran was Friday. I’m not feeling great but I’m debating on trying to at least run 2-3 miles today so I at least do something. I don’t know if it’s better to do that or rest. Thoughts on how to try to get back to normal faster? lol

Hey everyone! Need some advice here. I’m running the full marathon and I’m so excited! But bad news is I came down with bronchitis AND the flu starting Saturday so the last time I ran was Friday. I’m not feeling great but I’m debating on trying to at least run 2-3 miles today so I at least do something. I don’t know if it’s better to do that or rest. Thoughts on how to try to get back to normal faster? lol

Rest! Rest rest rest.

REST!!

Definitely rest. The bulk of your training is done and you’re not going to lose much, if any, fitness by resting. If you don’t rest, you run the risk of stressing your system and prolonging your recovery. Trust me, you don’t want to be sick going into the race weekend. I had to do Dopey with bronchitis last year and it was very difficult.

Corral B, 3:45 ish expected finish time. Where in Epcot will be open for me to get a beer before I finish at approx 9:30 am?

ETA: Never mind migraine adled brain was looking at wrong days.

Different note I don't have any emails about Race Retreat. I know I bought it. I can see it when I log into my runDisney account. And I know about early access. Should I be calling anyone about this?

I know runDisney and emails don't always go best so I'm not sure if I should be reaching out or not.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter