• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Learned a valuable lesson after the 5K, no matter how cold, DRINK! I ended up with a shocking migraine after the 5K and was still sick at 9pm, but put the alarm on anyway to see how I felt at 3am. Made it through the 10K somehow, but all this standing around in the cold is now starting to get to me - sore throat, fever and lost my voice. So having another day in bed.

Made a point to drink the water this morning and man it was cold!!! I saw the beer as I ran past the boardwalk and all that went through my mind was ‘no refrigeration needed!’.

Lots of people not watching what they were doing today - particularly frustrated with people trying to walk across all Runner’s to get to a character stop (with their back to us, expecting us to watch out for themrather than a two way street of everyone watching what they were doing). Also, people running the wrong way! If you get ahead of your group, stand to the side and wait, don’t try to run against the tide in a narrow portion!

I'm looking at the event guide and wondering if my son can pick up the race shirts of those who aren't going. It says only the runner can pick up his own bib, but I wonder if he has the waivers and a copy of our IDs, he might be able to get our shirts?

Is there a specific one you want? Or just seeing if you can get them. I’m doing Goofy and have mediums if you would like any of those. You earned one. :)

I'm still at work, enjoying all the posts and getting ready to fly out tomorrow for the marathon!! It is freezing here, but sunny, so fingers crossed for smooth travels.

I've never been this underprepared for a marathon in my life (thanks to my December pneumonia and lingering cough), but I know I can start the race and get to the halfway point comfortably and the pace should not be an issue even if I wind up walking a lot more in the 2nd half. Doing a run-walk with short intervals and hoping for the best!

Huge condolences to those who have had struggles. And congrats to everyone who is already underway!

Hope there's still some marathon gear left at the expo tomorrow. Oh, and I still have NO idea what to wear for the weather!

My husband has decided that he wants ChEAR squad...does anybody know if it can even be purchased anymore, maybe at the Expo? Registration is closed online for sure.

Hi, just wanted to let you know we stopped by the ChEAR squad booth at the expo for my sister and they were selling packages for the half but the full is sold out. Hope that helps!

I'm looking at the event guide and wondering if my son can pick up the race shirts of those who aren't going. It says only the runner can pick up his own bib, but I wonder if he has the waivers and a copy of our IDs, he might be able to get our shirts?

A few years ago I ended up not being able to run Princess at the last minute. I called to let them know and ask if I needed to do anything (it was past the deferral point, but they did still have deferrals that year). They offered, unprompted, to send me my shirts for free. You could try calling and see if you can get them sent to you.

After driving up to Manchester at 3:00 AM, we told (with no notification) that our flight was cancelled. This was the flight we were changed to after our first flight was cancelled. Delta's got nothing else in the Northeast... even if we drove 6 hours. Driving to Orlando is no longer an option because of the time window. I'm now in recouping money mode.

I wish everyone a great weekend and a great holiday. At least my son Ethan will make it as they managed to slip him onto a flight out of Boston tonight (he'll show up, sleep 2 hours, then run the half) and he'll stay with a friend.

I'll be following you guys on this thread.

Looking at the Dark Side Half now. I've never run anything other than Marathon weekend. Probably get some sleep as well. Between the digging out of the snow and trying to get on a plane, I was up all night last night.

Cheers!

So sorry to hear that.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but do we know yet what characters will be out for the full?

I was talking with a CM after the race about the fact I really want a photo with Hades. She said he’s going to be out along with Pain and Panic. Couldn’t remember if he was for the half or full though. So it sounds like we might be getting a villain a race since we had the hag this morning.

Took a badly needed nap after the race. Alarm got misset so I’m trying to make my lunch reservations that I’m all ready late for. Don’t regret the nap though I needed it badly in hindsight.

A few years ago I ended up not being able to run Princess at the last minute. I called to let them know and ask if I needed to do anything (it was past the deferral point, but they did still have deferrals that year). They offered, unprompted, to send me my shirts for free. You could try calling and see if you can get them sent to you.

Actually I just got an email from them saying they would send us any shirts we couldn't pick up. So good for them. I also managed to book an excellent rate for AKL over the Darkside Weekend so I'm seriously considering doing that - I've never done anything other than Marathon Weekend and it would be a different experience, better weather for starters. My family is all in bed right now making up for the sleep we missed yesterday. My wife is going to think I'm nuts when I tell her I've already booked a hotel for another race weekend.

I was talking with a CM after the race about the fact I really want a photo with Hades. She said he’s going to be out along with Pain and Panic. Couldn’t remember if he was for the half or full though. So it sounds like we might be getting a villain a race since we had the hag this morning.

In 2016, Hades was out for the full along the stretch between MK and AK. They had a nice display with flames shooting up behind the backdrop. I think Shan Yu was in the same general area. That might be a good bet for a projected location. It was the general area where they had the old ride vehicles last year.

Lots of people not watching what they were doing today - particularly frustrated with people trying to walk across all Runner’s to get to a character stop (with their back to us, expecting us to watch out for themrather than a two way street of everyone watching what they were doing). Also, people running the wrong way! If you get ahead of your group, stand to the side and wait, don’t try to run against the tide in a narrow portion!
I think as the race distances get longer, there will be less of this stuff happening. A lot of 5k or 10k runners don't know proper running etiquette, whereas runners during the marathon have probably run several races prior and know what to do and what not to do. It's just something you have to watch out for at the shorter distances, unfortunately (especially at Disney races).

What is your wish list of characters/props to be out on the course for the half/full?

Personally, I would DIE if there was something from the Great Movie Ride along the course. Either an animatronic or some other prop.

In 2016, Hades was out for the full along the stretch between MK and AK. They had a nice display with flames shooting up behind the backdrop. I think Shan Yu was in the same general area. That might be a good bet for a projected location. It was the general area where they had the old ride vehicles last year.

Yeah I remember seeing his backdrop along with the hag and Shan Yu for the full but he wasn’t out when I went by. That seems to happen to me a lot with him for some reason...Hoping this weekends finally the one I get the photo.

Learned a valuable lesson after the 5K, no matter how cold, DRINK! I ended up with a shocking migraine after the 5K and was still sick at 9pm, but put the alarm on anyway to see how I felt at 3am. Made it through the 10K somehow, but all this standing around in the cold is now starting to get to me - sore throat, fever and lost my voice. So having another day in bed.

Made a point to drink the water this morning and man it was cold!!! I saw the beer as I ran past the boardwalk and all that went through my mind was ‘no refrigeration needed!’.

Glad to hear your doing better. I know I was starting to have one of my standing issues this morning and made life difficult for the later part of the 10k. The nap rectified that.

This morning felt worse then normal. I was trying to keep running to help keep warm between stops and I’ve never had so many issues as I did coming back from the turn around after mile 1.

What is your wish list of characters/props to be out on the course for the half/full?

Personally, I would DIE if there was something from the Great Movie Ride along the course. Either an animatronic or some other prop.

Hmmm...well Hades has been on my bucket list of photos I want for a long time so if I really do finally get it this weekend I am going to be over the moon. As far as others...I think really anyone that is hard to find on either coast would make me happy. I say either coast because Rapunzel and sometimes Flynn can be found out in CA fairly easy. Pinocchio is a bit harder to find sometimes but he does come out too. So the only other real rare both of terms of seeing them in and outside the parks for both coasts this morning besides the hag was Pochahantas and Meeko (who I ended up skipping realizing that usually someone betters on the other side of the turn around).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter