• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Is there a DVC discount on race merchandise at the expo? I know you can get an AP discount but my AP is a renewal and I’m going to the expo straight from the airport so I won’t have a new passholder card. My passholder card from last time says valid 2016-2017.

Out of curiosity...Im guessing since you're DVC you're staying on property. Why not take DME to your resort, get your new card at the closest guest relations then head to the expo? Time constraints?

With all this talk of how the weather will be in Orlando, at this point I’ll just be happy to be somewhere without a negative wind chill!

Currently waiting in an hour long line to deice the plane (which of course is still listed as arriving on time - sure American - sure). So I’m looking forward to those balmy 55 degree temps!

Hanging out in the house today with the outside weather in a deep freeze and snow. Yes 55 to 60 does seem pretty balmy at this point. Since this is a vacation as well as the race, I wouldn’t mind if the temperature increased just a bit so we could maybe get some pool time.

I’m glad to hear about the picture at mile 25. Neither my husband nor I will be stopping for it during the race, but it will be nice to have after the race when we go back to Epcot.

It was like this....."was that the big 20th anniversary surprise?"

Most people didnt even realize they had past it until mile 21...it was a few characters and some signage

I was expecting to run into the baseball stadium and have like a surprise band playing or something and this is what we saw after we exited WWoS

Disney-Marathon-2013-30.jpg

I remember the big figures on the right and vaguely remember the arch but I don't remember seeing Mickey, Minnie and Pluto at all.

Is there a DVC discount on race merchandise at the expo? I know you can get an AP discount but my AP is a renewal and I’m going to the expo straight from the airport so I won’t have a new passholder card. My passholder card from last time says valid 2016-2017.

I think in the past we have gotten on. I usually have both cards with me and just give them whichever one is on top though.

Accuweather

1/3 - H 60 L 33
1/4 - H 57 L 34
1/5 - H 59 L 36
1/6 - H 72 L 47
1/7 - H 71 L 46

Weather.com

1/3 - H 56 L 36
1/4 - H 59 L 34
1/5 - H 60 L 35
1/6 - H 61 L 43
1/7 - H 69 L 52

Today's update...

Still trending downward. Inching closer to that freezing point for the earlier races. Wife and I are heading to Walmart tomorrow to stock up on throwaway gear. Bought hand warmers yesterday to keep our hands as warm as possible until the start of the race.

Still trending downward. Inching closer to that freezing point for the earlier races. Wife and I are heading to Walmart tomorrow to stock up on throwaway gear. Bought hand warmers yesterday to keep our hands as warm as possible until the start of the race.
Accuweather went up a few degrees since yesterday. I am surprised by the big difference in highs on Saturday between the two sites.

Does anyone know if at the expo they have an area where you can create signs or posters for runners? I remember them doing this once - they had a couple of big tables and markers and I assume they had paper for you, but I can’t remember exactly. Just wondering if anyone knows more about this and if they still have it at the Expos.

Does anyone know if at the expo they have an area where you can create signs or posters for runners? I remember them doing this once - they had a couple of big tables and markers and I assume they had paper for you, but I can’t remember exactly. Just wondering if anyone knows more about this and if they still have it at the Expos.

They did have at wine and dine in November, towards back of main expo.

Has anyone had any success with a stretch/massage before or after races? I have been feeling a bit tight recently so I was considering going to Massage Envy to get a stretch next week. I have heard that people can sometimes be sore though afterwards so I don't want to make it worse.

I'm getting a massage at the GF on the 3rd. I did some reading on it and as long as you typically don't walk away too sore, you should be fine. For me, the 5k and 10k are super easy runs so I can get out the "kinks" from the massage, if I have them, those two days! Let me know how it goes for ya.

They do have it with the posters and lately buttons too that you can decorate with markers. I looked on the map and can't see specifically where for this weekend, but I'm sure it will be setup somewhere.

Does anyone know if I can pick up my mom's "chEAR retreat" bag? I know they are super specific about not being able to pick up other's bibs, but I didn't know if they were as strict for the chEAR retreat things. Thanks!!

They do have it with the posters and lately buttons too that you can decorate with markers. I looked on the map and can't see specifically where for this weekend, but I'm sure it will be setup somewhere.

For the last four marathon weekends, it has been in the Champion Stadium:

2017 Marathon Weekend Map. It's where it says "Inspiration Station".

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 11.38.20 AM.png

However, it is not listed on the 2018 Champion Stadium Map:

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 11.37.31 AM.png

Out of curiosity...Im guessing since you're DVC you're staying on property. Why not take DME to your resort, get your new card at the closest guest relations then head to the expo? Time constraints?
My husband likes having a car so we are renting. We are staying at Saratoga springs so the closest guest services is downtown Disney and that place tends to be a madhouse. It is an option though if it saves me money.

I know the rest of you are looking at that weather and thinking it looks warm, but I’ve gone from Australia (100 degreees) to the Caribbean (also 90-100 degrees), so I am sitting here looking at those temps and hoping I have enough warm clothes to enjoy the parks this week!

Also, random question - I think I forgot to book magical express (and the wifi out at sea isn’t strong enough to use Skype to call). Will it be a big deal to just walk up to the counter at MCO without a booking for the bus? There is only one of me and I always carry my own luggage anyway being from outside the US...

I know the rest of you are looking at that weather and thinking it looks warm, but I’ve gone from Australia (100 degreees) to the Caribbean (also 90-100 degrees), so I am sitting here looking at those temps and hoping I have enough warm clothes to enjoy the parks this week!

Also, random question - I think I forgot to book magical express (and the wifi out at sea isn’t strong enough to use Skype to call). Will it be a big deal to just walk up to the counter at MCO without a booking for the bus? There is only one of me and I always carry my own luggage anyway being from outside the US...
You shouldn't have a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter