Marathon Weekend 2018

Just found this thread! I'm signed up for the Dopey. So excited. I did the half marathon in 2011 and the goofy challenge in 2012. We are making a family trip out of it. Coming in Dec 31 and heading back home the day of the marathon. My kid's don't know. We are surprising them for Christmas.

Welcome. 2011 was my first half. Hope it's a great trip

A training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

I just finished up a 5k training plan (the plan from Faster Road Racing went well, the race went only ok... but I did get a PB). I have a local 10k next weekend that I'll hopefully be cashing in some of my 5k training in at. Then it's an 8 week or so HM plan (also following one of the Faster Road Racing plans), followed by a yet to be decided marathon plan for the WDW marathon. So nothing marathon specific at the moment, other than trying to get faster at shorter distances :)

Hi, all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently registered for the Disney Half-Marathon in January 2018 as part of Team Lemon (Alex's Lemonade Stand- Foundation for Childhood Cancer). I am so nervous and NEVER thought that I'd be running a half. I am finishing up on a personal "quest" of mine, having dropped about 90 lbs over the past year (aiming for an even 100 by the end of this month), and as part of my weight loss, I took up running (which I always hated in the past). However, I did my first 5K in May (Castaway Cay), and just completed my first 10K (Peachtree Road Race on a HOT July 4!)

Anyway, I'm hoping to raise a bit of money for this great cause as I work towards my first half marathon and getting to my weight loss goal. Let me know who else will be down in Orlando for the Marathon Weekend! It will just be me and my DS(15) staying at the WWOS! So far I've got Boma for the night before and Chef Mickey's to celebrate that night after I finish. Looking forward to talking with other board members as I get ready for this challenge!

I know I wouldn't buy and eat a fig and know I can't eat a newton. But somehow, when they get merged it becomes a fruit with a unit of force which I can tolerate!

That's like me and Rice Krispy treats: I DESPISE marshmallows and would never eat Rice Krispies, but mix them together and I'm all over it!

+1 for the physics reference!

Hi, all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently registered for the Disney Half-Marathon in January 2018 as part of Team Lemon (Alex's Lemonade Stand- Foundation for Childhood Cancer). I am so nervous and NEVER thought that I'd be running a half. I am finishing up on a personal "quest" of mine, having dropped about 90 lbs over the past year (aiming for an even 100 by the end of this month), and as part of my weight loss, I took up running (which I always hated in the past). However, I did my first 5K in May (Castaway Cay), and just completed my first 10K (Peachtree Road Race on a HOT July 4!)

Anyway, I'm hoping to raise a bit of money for this great cause as I work towards my first half marathon and getting to my weight loss goal. Let me know who else will be down in Orlando for the Marathon Weekend! It will just be me and my DS(15) staying at the WWOS! So far I've got Boma for the night before and Chef Mickey's to celebrate that night after I finish. Looking forward to talking with other board members as I get ready for this challenge!

Congrats and welcome! If anything can keep you motivated to run your first Half Marathon, it's picturing running through those parks at WDW! There is absolutely nothing like seeing it all and hearing the amazing crowd support :love:

Congrats on your success so far! Like you I started running in part to lose weight (and because runDisney looked really fun) and while I was never confident I would finish a half, I've now finished three and am signed up for Dopey!

What I'm trying to say is, there's no way of knowing where your running journey will take you. The half marathon will be amazing. The boards will definitely provide great support so welcome!

Phew! Just got all caught up on about 20 pages of ADR and training plans, yet again making me insanely jealous of all of you. I'm working on the logistics of running the 2019 WDW marathon (and reclaiming my spot at the Sundays are for Disney guy, @rteetz !), but we'll have to see closer to January/February. I'm happy/excited for all of you, of course.

A training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

I've been training for a 7-mile race at the end of July and started training a few weeks ago to get smoked by @DopeyBadger in Milwaukee in October. Still on the fence about that race, but I'm up to 7 miles with 8 planned for this Sunday. Ultimately, it will come down to how my legs hold up. I've been getting up early (4:30) to run before the sun gets up. That's been interesting and still pretty warm, but it beats 90 degrees.

My favorite part about getting up in distance is I can start picturing myself passing landmarks in the parks. Anyone else do that? I like to tell myself at five miles that I'm hitting MK, the castle, etc.

Last edited:

Hi all! I've been following the Hanson's plan since completing the Pixie Dust challenge at DL in May. This is my first time doing speedwork and I'm really enjoying it. If all goes well I'll run my first marathon at the end of September to get me ready for the Dopey 2018! Any other runners use Hanson's to prepare for Dopey?

Hi all! I've been following the Hanson's plan since completing the Pixie Dust challenge at DL in May. This is my first time doing speedwork and I'm really enjoying it. If all goes well I'll run my first marathon at the end of September to get me ready for the Dopey 2018! Any other runners use Hanson's to prepare for Dopey?

I am for the first time. I've been a 3x/week runner since I started 9 years ago, but decided to mix it up this time. Doing the beginner plan, since I haven't properly run a marathon in 6 years. Currently doing week 8 and things are going fine--except I am so used to running faster training paces that my brain still hasn't adjusted to the slowdown. And I have a slight kneecap twinge. I'm running Wineglass on Oct 1.

I've met Keith and Kevin Hanson a few times (I live in SE Michigan). Nice guys.

I am for the first time. I've been a 3x/week runner since I started 9 years ago, but decided to mix it up this time. Doing the beginner plan, since I haven't properly run a marathon in 6 years. Currently doing week 8 and things are going fine--except I am so used to running faster training paces that my brain still hasn't adjusted to the slowdown. And I have a slight kneecap twinge. I'm running Wineglass on Oct 1.

I've met Keith and Kevin Hanson a few times (I live in SE Michigan). Nice guys.

Cool meeting the Hanson's! This is my 4th year running, I've always been a 3-4x /week runner using Galloway and I'm feeling stronger running more often with higher mileage now. Not too fast but I hope to improve my pace with speed work.
Hope your kneecap twinge is just a passing thing.

training check in! Have you started training yet? Are you training for a different race first? What is your plan for training?

My training is...not great at the moment. About 2.5 weeks ago my hip starting hurting. First I cut way back on effort and mileage, but that didn't seem to help. I'm now on day 8 of no running and I still don't feel like I've improved at all. After about 5 minutes of running, it stops hurting, but then it hurts afterwards, so I'm trying to be smart and not run through it. Getting so frustrated! I hadn't needed a sports medicine doctor in about 5 years, but I'm thinking I'm going to need to find one. I was just wrapping up 2 months of lower mileage "off season" running so no idea what set it off. I am just about to start my training plan for a September half marathon that I am/was hoping to PR before moving on to Dopey training, so this timing stinks. :sad1::mad:

I used a personally modified Hansons plan for both Dopey #3 and Dopey #4. During Dopey #3, I set a 5k PR, 10k PR, 2nd best HM, and 2nd best M (all at the time) During Dopey #4, I set a 5k PR, 10k PR, no HM occurred, and M PR (all at the time). Technically, I set a new 13.1 mile PR during the M as well, but not officially.

Almost every person that recently stated they're using a "DopeyBadger" training plan is at its core a Hansons plan. I use their fundamental principles (and various other influences) and people's available time to make a custom plan fitting their needs.

Best of luck with the training! I can certainly attest to it being a potential game changer.

Welcome!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
Charity runner here as well. Have fun and enjoy every minute!
Congrats on the weight loss as well.

I started using a modified Hansons plan last summer to train for the RNR Savannah Marathon. While I could not fit in the 6 days a week of running, I pretty much averaged 5 days a week. I always made sure to get in the speed, tempo and long runs in. I ended up knocking about 15 minutes off my marathon PR time. If not for some hernia related pain at about mile 20, I easily would have knocked off more.

I'm in maintenance mode now for the summer, but I plan on following a similar modified plan again when Dopey training really starts in the next month or so.

Yup! I'm guessing you're familiar with Brady Street??
Very much so. I wasn't familiar with the course at all when I first ran it 7 years ago but everyone had warned me about Brady so I was prepared for that. It was the other hills that took me by surprise since no one talks about them.
Here's an elevation image for those unfamiliar:
Bix+route.gif

It's my favorite race these days and the only race I continually block my calendar. I've run it every year since I first moved to Iowa. This is the first year in a while I'm actually going into it well trained. Usually my running slacks quite a bit during this time due to the heat.

My training is...not great at the moment. About 2.5 weeks ago my hip starting hurting. First I cut way back on effort and mileage, but that didn't seem to help. I'm now on day 8 of no running and I still don't feel like I've improved at all. After about 5 minutes of running, it stops hurting, but then it hurts afterwards, so I'm trying to be smart and not run through it. Getting so frustrated! I hadn't needed a sports medicine doctor in about 5 years, but I'm thinking I'm going to need to find one. I was just wrapping up 2 months of lower mileage "off season" running so no idea what set it off. I am just about to start my training plan for a September half marathon that I am/was hoping to PR before moving on to Dopey training, so this timing stinks. :sad1::mad:

Oh no! Sorry to hear you are fighting some pain, but good for you on being smart and taking some time off. I hope you can determine the problem and get back to training soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter