Marathon Weekend 2017!

hey everyone when would registration be for half marathon for marathon weekend 2017? im new to running and would like to use that for real motivation. thanks

Marathon Weekend is very popular. I would recommend being ready to register at noon on 4/16/16. My experience is that the 5K and 10K fill up incredibly fast, just a few hours and the next to fill is Dopey and the Half Marathon in short order. It is worth it to ensure you get the race you want.

DD25 and I decided yesterday that we want to do the 2017 Marathon. We are registered for Princess, then plan on registering for Avengers to get our C2C medal, in 2016. So, haha, Avengers would just be a training run! Having still not done a Half, that seems very funny to say, lol. I have a Half on 12/12 to make up (for myself) for W&D. :)

April 26, 2016 at Noon ET

Good to know, thanks. That gives me 5 months to decide whether to go for the full, or one of the challenges. I am leaning toward only the full, but I have a feeling I will regret it if I don't do a challenge. I have never not done a challenge in the 3 race weekends I have done at Disney, but a challenge with a full at the end seems like a whole other world. I haven't done a full yet, but I plan on doing one this May, and perhaps another in the fall. Decisions, Decisions.

One possibility I've considered is the 10k and the full. I know its not a challenge,but I will get two medals - and the 10k course at WDW is my favorite.

We are contemplating doing the full again in 2017. We were originally planning to wait until our Dopey attempt in 2018, but we really love getting away to Florida in January and we do love marathon weekend, so we may decide to do the full as a single race in 2017 and make it part of a marathon maniac attempt. After doing the weekend in 2013, 2014 and 2015 we are sad that we won't be there in 2016.

Oh, I will definitely be back for Dopey #4 (trying to maintain legacy status). No goal yet though, as I need to see how this year's sub-7 hour attempt goes. Anything to get out of a Wisconsin winter. Two straight years that the day we left for Disney was a wind-chill of -50!

Well, since I had to defer because of my broken foot, I am in for Dopey 2017! :crutches:

Well, since I had to defer because of my broken foot, I am in for Dopey 2017! :crutches:

Right there with you!!
... But it's throwing off my plans as I was going to skip 2017 and wait for 2018. Looks like two in a row now for me. What about you?

So @Belle Ella ... There appears to be a few looking ahead!!

Last edited:
Right there with you!!
... But it's throwing off my plans as I was going to skip 2017 and wait for 2018. Looks like two in a row now for me. What about you?
Maybe - I was planning on it but am also considering a few other challenges that year since it will be my 50th birthday celebration (will last all year!).

2016 will be the first year I will miss since 2007 so will definitely be back for 2017 just not sure which race, since I will be out of the country and no access to Internet when the registration opens I will take whatever is still left.

Ok. Who else is starting to think about signing up for Dopey 2017 with the intent of deferring to 2018 so one does not have to go crazy trying to get into the anniversary year. Hmmmm.

Ok. Who else is starting to think about signing up for Dopey 2017 with the intent of deferring to 2018 so one does not have to go crazy trying to get into the anniversary year. Hmmmm.

Do you want an honest reply to this?
Edit:.... Really?!?!?!

I'm in! I've been sad about not going to WDW this holiday season and was poking around online. I realized that the 2017 Marathon will be held on my 50th birthday. So, either I'll run the half on Sat and spend my birthday basking, or I'll run the whole. The last time I ran more than 5 miles was quite a few years ago, and I've never run a full marathon so it seems like an appropriate way to mark the half-century mark. (I've run a couple of halves, but it has been a while!).

I am a very slow runner so it is a good thing I have over a year to get ready. I am signing up for a Galloway Group here.

I'm looking forward to 2017 already. I'm planning on doing the Dopey Challenge. It will be my first runDisney event and first marathon as well. My brother ran the inaugural Dopey and my goal is to beat his times from then. Anyone have favorite or preferred training plans for the Dopey. I've looked at the Galloway plan, and am no the biggest fan of that one, so looking for other suggestions. I've been a long time runner, just nothing at the length of a marathon or intensity of the Dopey.

I'm looking forward to 2017 already. I'm planning on doing the Dopey Challenge. It will be my first runDisney event and first marathon as well. My brother ran the inaugural Dopey and my goal is to beat his times from then. Anyone have favorite or preferred training plans for the Dopey. I've looked at the Galloway plan, and am no the biggest fan of that one, so looking for other suggestions. I've been a long time runner, just nothing at the length of a marathon or intensity of the Dopey.
This is the one I originally wanted to use for 2015 but I ended up getting injured and went with a lower mileage plan.

http://www.halhigdon.com/writing/57107/Dopey Challenge Training Guide

Does anyone know, if you've had to defer, to you also resubmit your PoT? With all the talk of this years race I'm already pumped for next year!!

Does anyone know, if you've had to defer, to you also resubmit your PoT? With all the talk of this years race I'm already pumped for next year!!

Yup. New year, new registration on a deferral - that means new PoT window and all that jazz.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter