• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

Maybe. I just know that this past year (December 12-January 20), I spent more time running through Magic Kingdom than actually in the park itself. It was a crowded beating almost daily.
Based on how attendance has been down practically all year I can't see it being up in January especially when there isn't anything new for January.

We've alternated between PHM and Marathon Weekend for the past few years. This was a PHM year so I missed the 2016 marathon weekend crowd level and we don't spend much time in MK anyway. Good to know it was on the rise - at least to be prepared. But I'm far more relaxed about that because we start the week with just our youngest. The big kids don't arrive until the weekend and my husband will work from the resort during the week. So with just our little one, I'll have fewer "most important things to do/see/eat . . ." to juggle!

^^i almost wish I didn't know that. :sad2:
Right? I keep telling myself, "Self, you have an AP and resort for which you're paying significantly less than what it would cost to stay onsite", but still... ouch.

You didn't think that MK was crowded this January? It was jammed every day that we were there, and we went on the most recommended days. Once Soarin' closed Epcot became a ghost town - MK got all of the overflow traffic. Also, the crowds overall were higher because it was the last year for the Osborne Lights. We left for a cruise a day or two after the marathon, so maybe the crowds dropped off after that.
It was crowded but not unbearable that it made me say oh man it's crowded or something along those lines. I saw the Osborne lights on their final day of operation forever and I expected crowds for that.
This year from NYE through Marathon weekend wars the busiest I've seen it in 4-5 years, and I'm there every year for the holidays.
Speaking as a WDW local(ish), I think "crowded" is a relative term. Every day of every month of every year lately is FAR more crowded than it was in January in the early 90s - I miss empty parks and walking onto every ride! But on the flipside, early Jan. now is still nothing like July 4th week, so it's got that going for it, lol!

I'm too lazy to look, but approx when do they announce the dates for the next year marathon? I know what we think it's going to be, but would just love to know for sure..

If you're on the fence about Marathon Weekend, Jim Stone (Acclaim Travel) is offering a fire sale on Marathon AND Dopey bibs. They both still require hotel and tickets (though there is an option if you're an AP holder). Marathon is $149. Dopey is $399. You can purchase the Dopey bib and transfer/get a refund from RunDisney for an existing registration if you're thinking about making the jump ... that's almost $200 off Dopey.

Does this happen every year?? Im hoping to do Dopey in 2018 and as Im coming from the UK would like to keep costs down as much as possible!

Can we talk Race Retreat and chEAR Squad Gold / Platinum for a moment?!

I raced the Disneyland Paris halfmarathon last weekend, my girlfriend was there as a spectator. In the morning it was cold and they did not offer anything for spectators to warm up in Paris.

Now, I am going to race my first full marathon at WDW and my girlfriend accompanies me, like in Paris. I do not want that she get a cold once again, because of standing somewhere in the cold, just because I am racing somewhere ;-)

Does the chEAR Squad Gold also offer access to the tend? Is Platinum Gold worth the money and should I also get the race retreat package?

Are temperatures in Orlando in the early morning as low as they were in Paris?

Are temperatures in Orlando in the early morning as low as they were in Paris?

I don't know what the temps were in Paris, but marathon weekend has seen morning temperatures as low as 26 and as high as 74 and pretty much everything in between. You need to be prepared for heat, cold, sleet, rain, humidity, and wind. Snow is unlikely. ;)

Does this happen every year?? Im hoping to do Dopey in 2018 and as Im coming from the UK would like to keep costs down as much as possible!
No it doesn't happen every year, it depends on how the bibs are selling. In 2018 I wouldn't expect this to happen because of the anniversary and because it seems 2018 will be a very popular year for dopey.

Last edited:
Morning temps from low 50s to mid 60s the past 5 years. Cold is a relative term, many from northern climates would find these past temps in January as warm. Being from FL I find them a bit chilly to stand around in.

We have never done a disney run before. My husband is running the Dopey, my son and I are joining him for the 5K on marathon weekend. (Staying onsite at Beach Club. )We are planning our park days and I was hoping to do Epcot on Thursday 5K day. Epcot has AM EMH which we will hopefully be done with race and be able to take advantage of.

Has anyone done and AM EMH at Epcot immediately after a race? Will it draw huge crowds to Epcot that day?

Some crowd predictors are predicting very high crowd levels until Sunday of Marathon weekend due to the way the holidays fall. Possibly seems some schools around the country will have the first week in January off in they Christmas/winter break?

Any advice??TIA

We have never done a disney run before. My husband is running the Dopey, my son and I are joining him for the 5K on marathon weekend. (Staying onsite at Beach Club. )We are planning our park days and I was hoping to do Epcot on Thursday 5K day. Epcot has AM EMH which we will hopefully be done with race and be able to take advantage of.

Has anyone done and AM EMH at Epcot immediately after a race? Will it draw huge crowds to Epcot that day?

Some crowd predictors are predicting very high crowd levels until Sunday of Marathon weekend due to the way the holidays fall. Possibly seems some schools around the country will have the first week in January off in they Christmas/winter break?

Any advice??TIA

ignore the question. I just looked at the online calendar and the EMH days have changed. back to the drawing board.

ignore the question. I just looked at the online calendar and the EMH days have changed. back to the drawing board.

I have never really noticed EMH resulting in a significantly higher crowding. I know you said they've changed, but keep in mind that with Epcot the AM EMH really only applies to Future World. The World Showcase still won't be open until 11:00 or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter